Pokkén Tournament

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have a translated version of the character poll and rankings?
Doubt it.Your best bet is to translate the page altho the translation is pretty meh.

btw jynx, how can you tell how many votes everyone is getting? Can seem to figure it out

As someone who knows very little about traditional fighting games, I understand that stance based characters are something of a genre trope...

Aegislash confirmed!?!
Pokemon has room for a ton of potential stance changers tbh. Most likely ones are for sure Aegislash and Meloetta, but I can see maybe a Deoxys or Darmanitan doing something like stance changing.

What I hope to see is a variety of fighting styles in general. I know that with some more "simplistic" fighters, we get a lot of characters who fight very similarly outside of aesthetics (like a Naruto game, for example). However, with Harada working closely with the game, I can sleep happily knowing the game might have a lot of technical value that some of those more simplistic games lack (viewing this as a member of the FGC, of course).

I had actually done a lot of work creating dream rosters for Pokemon fighting games in the recent months based around the Pokken rumors. A lot of the choices I had picked out seemed to make sense due to popularity and workability into a fighter, but I had been thinking in an entirely 2D format. The 3D format allows for a lot of interesting ideas, due to the simple introduction of sidesteps, moves with 360˚ hitboxes, and the like (obviously, like a Tekken or Soul Caliber game.)

Honestly I'm super excited. I do leave myself with more questions as I fanboy out, however. Will the roster be balanced by Generation? How large is said roster planned to be? Are they going to sacrifice true depth within the game to make it more accessible to the Pokemon fanbase? Only time will tell, I'm just excited as fuck.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I was looking around google and I found this year old link that shows a pic of lucario facing blaziken in what looks like Castelia city (to me at least).

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/25/realistic-pokemon-tease-future-pokemon-may-look-like/
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/17/this-history-of-pokemon-video-ends-with-a-mysterious-tease/

Apparently this screenshot was supposed to be a tease along with the games name being mentioned. Think its safe to say that blaziken has a pretty good chance of making it in.

I honestly do not get the Magnemite thing in the slightest. Is it some weird in-joke? Is it a reference to BW2's infinite Magnemite trading?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I honestly do not get the Magnemite thing in the slightest. Is it some weird in-joke? Is it a reference to BW2's infinite Magnemite trading?
A friend told me it had something to do with merchandise. Somehow Magnemite didn't get the merchandise of the series.

They can do both! In fact if they want to satisfy Pokemon's fanbase they should do both - Pokemon's simultaneous accessibilty and depth is what makes it so great in the first place.
Oh, I'm not denying that the two can coexist just fine (as you mentioned, Pokemon's track record for exactly that is what makes it so cool in the first place), but I feel like that's much harder to do with a fighting game than an RPG.

As mentioned prior in this thread, the Pokemon target audience isn't exactly an audience associated with technical gaming, and maybe GameFreak and Namco will decide that catering to the simplistic side of fighting games would make them more money in the long run.

Of course, I believe they should to both as well. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 attempted something similar with adding the classic "Simple" and "Normal" control schemes in their game, allowing less experienced players to utilize special moves without the technical motions. Maybe something like this will be implemented?

But you know what, I don't think that's necessary either. From what I gather, Tekken is actually the pound for pound most popular fighting game series, competitive or not, and games like Soul Caliber prove to be very fun as well without any real knowledge on the technical aspects of the game. I actually do trust Harada more than anyone for making Pokken a balanced, technical, but also accessible game.

Oh, I'm not denying that the two [accessibility and depth] can coexist just fine (as you mentioned, Pokemon's track record for exactly that is what makes it so cool in the first place), but I feel like that's much harder to do with a fighting game than an RPG.
Well I disagree there. It is sufficiently easy that Super Smash Bros Melee managed to do it accidentally.

To be honest rather than just dumbing the game down, the better way to court Pokemon's fans is to try to incorporate gameplay elements from the series, not just using its characters. Taking Hyrule Warriors as an example, the fact that you can use bombs, hookshots and other Zelda staple weapons helps separate the game from being simple a reskinned Dynasty Warriors. I can't think of anything off the top of my head from Pokemon that you could stick into a fighter but of course the Pokken Tournament dev team has a lot more time, manpower and experience of game design than me so they're bound to think of something.

Well I disagree there. It is sufficiently easy that Super Smash Bros Melee managed to do it accidentally.

To be honest rather than just dumbing the game down, the better way to court Pokemon's fans is to try to incorporate gameplay elements from the series, not just using its characters. Taking Hyrule Warriors as an example, the fact that you can use bombs, hookshots and other Zelda staple weapons helps separate the game from being simple a reskinned Dynasty Warriors. I can't think of anything off the top of my head from Pokemon that you could stick into a fighter but of course the Pokken Tournament dev team has a lot more time, manpower and experience of game design than me so they're bound to think of something.
Hold items could always be a thing; Mega Stones are of course going to be implemented, I'm sure there's some way they could use Abilities and maybe even Types.

Nah you're definitely right there. I guess I wasn't totally thinking of Melee but you're definitely correct on that example.

I can definitely see the devs incorporating main series elements into the game, particularly status. Things like paralysis (Persona 4: Arena has an interesting mechanic where if you backdash too much, your movement speed decreases for a certain amount of time), poisoning, and the like have occurred in previous fighters and all of them could be implemented via the use of certain moves from characters. Maybe Blaziken has a move that can burn opponents, which makes them slightly weaker for a short amount of time? Maybe Toxicroak's Poison Jab will slowly sap away life? Maybe Machamp's Dynamic Punch momentarily flips the opponent's inputs? Status is definitely a contender in that line of thought.

Other than that I can see abilites and items possibly working like Gems in Steet Fighter x Tekken: once certain benchmarks are met, the adverse effect kicks in. Maybe a Dragonite with Multiscale equipt takes half the damage from an attack if they're at full health? Maybe a Heracross with Moxie would gain a momentary boost in attack if he scores a knockdown? I can see a few being usable in this situation, but many might run into difficulty being implemented.

As for items, they would work like Gems too, just at a different level. Pinch berries would boost movement speed, attack power, resistance to chip damage, or something like that when at low health. Mental Herbs prevent you from getting "stunned" or "dizzy", Red Card acts as a one time combo breaker, etc.

Definitely a lot of possibilities to go with to make the game more interesting at every level of skill and interest. I've seen a lot of games take the easy way out with stuff, which is why I was in that line of thought originally, but if the devs implement the creative ideas that Pokemon naturally provides, it'll make for a very exciting game.

Items do sound like a solid idea. Most of their effects in-game sound like they would work in a fighting game bar Leftovers because it will be a game breaker for zoning and stalling. I'm just worried that there might be some brokenness when this game comes out, as in infinites and unavoidable unblockables.

Also I've been looking at some of the comments on Twitter, haven't seen anything on Xatu yet. Could be an decent fighter; Screens, Teleports, and Gusts? Any other Psychic can probably fill most of those roles, but it would be fun to have this stoic bird beating the life out of everyone on the roster.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
My top 10 most wanted (trying to be reasonable and excluding my favorite Pokemon like Sylveon or Bulbasaur):
  1. Toxicroak
  2. Roserade
  3. Sceptile
  4. Scyther
  5. Infernape
  6. Froslass
  7. Gengar
  8. Haxorus
  9. Weavile
  10. Gardevoir
Honorable Mentions: Heracross, Garchomp, Hawlucha

In the latest issue of Famitsu, translated by Siliconera, an interview was held with the developers of the upcoming Arcade game, Pokkén Tournament. Not much new was given, but it stated that Mega Evolution will have a major factor in it, following the small cameo of Mega Lucario in the trailer released last week. It was also confirmed that the game is "approximately 30%" complete with the first demo run expected next year. Tsunekazu Ishihara, head of The Pokémon Company, also stated that he wishes for Pokkén Tournament to have a place at the Pokémon World Championships each year alongside the main series Pokémon games and the TCG.
~Serebii

Cresselia~~

In par with world championships?
That's a bit stretchy considering that not all Pokemon appear in Pokken.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In par with world championships?
That's a bit stretchy considering that not all Pokemon appear in Pokken.
Um, what?

Not all Pokemon are even used/viable in VGC due to Complacent Gaming Syndrome. They're adding characters based off of what's popular so most people aren't going to care about what's in the game anyway.

Hello! This is my first post just so you know. (This was originally posted on Congregation of the Masses, a mistake of mine. Stellar said that I could repost it here. I am new to this, so if I am breaking any rules by reposting on a different forum due to my thread being locked PLEASE forgive me. I won't make the same mistake again.)

Being a fan of both the Pokémon and Tekken franchises, I'd like to give you some ideas regarding similarities between Pokémon and existing Tekken characters. Note these are only for Tekken 6 and TTT2. I'd also like your opinions!

Hitmonchan;Steve Fox

This is a given. Both characters are punch oriented.

Hitmonlee;Hwoarang

This may seem odd as Hwoarang can punch effectively, but he is mostly kick oriented. I think that Hwoarang also fits better than Baek Doo San because Baek's combos usually juggle more with punches than Hwoarang's. Besides, hitmonlee can punch anyway (Mach punch).

Hitmontop;Eddy Gordo

Yes, Eddy stands on his feet. However, I feel that this fits quite nicely because Eddy has plenty of spinning kicks that he executes in a handstand. All other Tekken players would probably agree that this is the best fit for hitmontop.

Machoke;Jack-6

I do realize that machoke is not fully evolved and that Jack-6 is a robot. However, once eliminating that robot look that Jack-6 has (as well as gunshot noises upon certain moves) machoke seems to be a nice fit.

Machamp;Craig Marduk

Sure, machamp has four arms and Marduk has two. Despite that, these two fit perfectly! Marduk fights exactly the way that I'd imagine machamp to. He is also giant, and has many throws and tosses.

Breloom;Roger Jr.

This is the closest fit to breloom that we have. They both have the same kind of body shape. Some may argue that (unlike Roger) breloom's fists aren't exactly evident. But he can punch! Both have plenty of kicks exaggerating their kangaroo-like legs as well.

Hariyama;Ganryu

Ganryu and hariyama each have many palm strikes and have sumo wrestler bodies. I think that this pairing is obvious.

Mega Mewtwo X;Jinpachi

What can I say? Both are the god-like powerhouses.

Sawk;Kazuya Mishima

Sawk COULD be Heihachi or Jin, but Kazuya seems more reasonable. This is because Kazuya fights more of an actual karate style than the other two. By actual I mean real or traditional. I think that this fits nicely.

Lucario;Feng Wei

This seems to fit nicely. Both have that skillful and calm demeanor. Their form is also nearly identical, and they both have many palm strikes.

Pangoro;Miguel Cabellero Rojo

Both have that bad boy dirty fighter air about them. I also could really imagine this pairing, as pangoro fighting street brawling style just seems reasonable.

Now, some more debatable ones.

Blaziken;Marshall Law OR Lars Alexandersson OR Lee Chaolan

These three are the best fits, but blaziken is hard to determine. Law has the flip-kicks, Lars has the form, and Lee has the skill. I'll leave this one to you.

Medicham;Lei Wulong OR Bruce Irvin

I realize that Bruce would make a good blaziken or even primape, but medicham somehow fits. Lei has more of the skillful atmosphere that you'd expect from medicham, yet Bruce has more kicks and knees. Whatever you please.

Hawlucha;King OR Armor King

Both being the pro wrestlers, hawlucha must be one of these. But which one?

Mienshao;Wang Jinrei

I honestly don't know if mienshao is fitting for the game due to his strange arms, but Wang would fit...

Heracross;Sergei Dragunov

This just seems wierd, but it fits to an extent. I really think heracross deserves a place, but none fit well enough. Maybe Paul Phoenix? Or Bryan?

Poliwrath;Bryan Fury

You just critique this. I have no real reason.

Who would these be?
Throh, infernape, emboar

Thanks for reading! Comment please!

Last edited:
My top 10 most wanted (trying to be reasonable and excluding my favorite Pokemon like Sylveon or Bulbasaur):
  1. Toxicroak
  2. Roserade
  3. Sceptile
  4. Scyther
  5. Infernape
  6. Froslass
  7. Gengar
  8. Haxorus
  9. Weavile
  10. Gardevoir
Honorable Mentions: Heracross, Garchomp, Hawlucha
I personally vouch most for medicham and sawk.

Cresselia~~

Guys... how many of you actually went to vote?

It seems to me that the vast majority of the voters are legit Japanese accounts.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
More news is coming this January 23rd. It's via NicoNico's online feature "Weekly Famitsu Featuring" so I think those of us in the west might have to wait for information told in it to be translated over.

New information on Pokken Tournament has surfaced:

New Japanese Website
New Logo
Lucario's Render
Machamp's Render

New information on the game will be announced January 23rd.
Not much on the site, the new logo is okay but essentially the same, and those renders look BEAUTIFUL! Lucario's sort of reminds me of SSB Brawl's model which detailed its blue fur (still don't know what the black parts are. Short hair? Skin? Scales?). Machamp is much smoother on the other hand, but I do like the nice metalic look they gave to its power belt.

The team who's working on Pokken's models need to work on the models for Gen VII as well...
Yeah, for a game with a handful a character such as a fighting game high end graphics like this are perfectly possible if not expected. BUT Pokemon has over 800 characters so while I wouldn't say that's possible, I would say it'd take far too much time and not be worth it in the long run (besides, that means when we do get high detailed models as such it makes them even more special).

And I guess I should write down my wishlist. I'll try to shorten the list by not include any Fighting-type Pokemon since I feel its pretty obvious most if not all of them should be in the game:

Charizard (Cause its Charizard)
Raichu (Because no way Pikachu will be able to compete, so lets give its evolution some spotlight)
Nidoqueen/Nidoking (They're pretty beastly and I can see them being mighty glaciers)
Kangaskhan (MASTER BASTER!)
Ditto (Not as a fighter, I just want it to act as the "random" button :P)
Snorlax (How many times have we seen one of these in a sumo wrestling contest?)
Mewtwo (Sort of cheating since I'd want its Mega Evolution to be its X form)
Feraligatr (Once again, looks pretty beastly)
Azumarill/Mawile/Diggersby (HUGE POWER!)
Ursaring/Beartic/Pangoro (I do believe Tekken has a certain tradition involving "bear" fighters)
Swampert (Just look at its Mega Evolution!)
Slaking (Would like to see how they would do this powerhouse considering its Ability)
Staraptor (It can learn Close Combat, afterall)
Roserade (It's pretty much Tuxedo Mask... wait, did he ever fight?)
Rampardos (Attacking is all it has, don't take that away from it)
Ambipom (Because you have to have a monkey fighter that slaps you silly)
Lopunny (We need more feminine Pokemon, and once again cheating a bit since its Mega Evolution is part Fighting)
Electivire (Once again, looks beastly)
Dusknoir (Looks like it can brawl with the best of them)
Regigigas (Like Slaking, I'd like to see how they would implement such a powerhouse with a limiting Ability)
Samurott (It's a Samurai)
Darmanitan (Sort of like Ambipom, except instead of slapping you silly its punching right through you with a slasher smile)
Golurk (Gotta have a mecha!)
Bisharp (It's supposedly based on tokusatsu villains)
Braviary (Because AMERICA (F*** YEAH)!)
Greninja (Cause ninja)
Aegislash (It's a living sword (well, possessed sword), what else is it going to do?)
Barbaracle (Looks like it can hold its own a do a number on its opponent, plus Tough Claws)
Diancie (Cause your game is now diamonds)

However I do think a majority of the characters should be Fighting-types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)