Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V3) (Rank changes are over until ORAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mamoswine should stay A. Focus Sash Mamoswine is one of the most reliable Stealth Rock setters in the entire game thanks to Oblivious blocking Taunt, and is also able to pull off an awesome combo of Endeavor + Ice Shard to pick off almost any foe, so this works as a great emergency sweeper-stopper/revenge killer; sometimes you can even predict a switch and go for a second Endeavor, thus crippling two Pokemon. His Life Orb set hits ridiculously hard with one of the strongest Earthquakes in OU, as well as Icicle Spear for breaking through subs, not to mention that Rotom-W is literally the only Pokemon in the entire game to resist his STAB coverage, so he has some good freedom with his other two moveslots. But no matter which set you use, he's also one of the best checks to both Landorus and Thundurus, which is pretty significant on its own. The way he can revenge kill with Focus Sash is awesome, the power that he provides with Life Orb is phenomenal, and his overall anti-meta playstyle is something that so few Pokemon can replicate. Keep Mamoswine at A-Rank.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
At first I agreed to dropping Scolipede, because its offensive set is, in my opinion, a lot less effective now. That set alone is probably worth B or B-. However, then I remembered it has the ability to Baton Pass Attack + Speed to physical attackers, and Defense + Speed to frailer Special Attackers. Mega Gardevoir, for example, is a very frail and relatively slow Pokemon, and thus is thought to be easily revenge killed. But, this can all be remedied by Scolipede, who very easily can pass it at least +2 defense +2 speed and sometimes even a Substitute. A more common example is Mega Heracross though; a Heracross at +2 Attack and +2 Speed is absolutely impossible to switch into unless you're a Doublade (who btw should move up due to this reason), and equally hard to revenge kill. Despite its offensive set losing some prowess, its supportive sets still make Scolipede worth B+.

Mamoswine should stay in A. Sash Mamoswine is one of the best hazard setters in the tier, and somewhat appreciates more spinners gaining viability lately. Its able to set rocks, weaken things with its phenomenal dual STABs, pick things off with Ice Shard, and sometimes weaken things with Endeavor. It also has a very strong wallbreaking set with a Life Orb that I love. It breaks sashes and subs with Icicle Spear, hits consistently hard with EQ, can pick things off with Ice Shard, and destroys would be counters with Freeze Dry. It deserves its A ranking.

I've used Moltres before, and I'm not sure where it should go. It's good against Charizard-Y, but there are better options for countering Charizard-Y, and plus it needs Defog/Rapid Spin support just to do its job decently. I'm leaning towards unranking it, but I'll summon Agent Gibbs, because he knows more about it than I do.

Also please rise Omastar, Crawdaunt, Cresselia, and Hawlucha :)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am thinking about dropping Scolipede because it lost its niche on full Baton Pass teams, aka teams centered around preparing a sweep of Espeon, because Smeargle outclasses Scolipede in this particular role now that only one Baton Pass user is allowed on a team. Geomancy + Cotton Guard Smeargle > Iron Defense Scolipede.

Scolipede still has a decent cleaning set and an Iron Defense + Baton Pass set to help other sweepers, but without Espeon on the team the strategy is very easy to deal with Prankster Thunder Wave, phazers, and Unaware Quagsire amongst others. And if you use Espeon, Smeargle > Scolipede.

So, the cleaning set is still as effective as it was, but Scolipede's role as a Baton Pass user has lost a lot of its previous viability, which leads me to believe it should drop to B. And just to be clear, the cleaning set alone was never worthy of B+ imo, it was the cleaning set in combination with the BP set that made Scolipede a B+ rank threat.

Reactions: AM

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Mamo should stay in A. He's arguably the best sash lead mon in the tier, as both sash lead rak and chomp lose to him thanks to shard and EQ. He's oblivious to taunt which means that he's practically guaranteed to set up rocks, and if he chooses to run spear, he can beat lead sash loom if he gets 3 hits off. Then there's endeavor which can fuck things up if predicted right and shard finishes whatever he hits off. Speaking of which, Mamo can rk late game with shard if hazards are off the field or if his sash is still intact. It's good for hitting the Latis and genies SE as well as bandnite locked into outrage and chomp.

Aside from the sash lead set, the LO set just tears things apart. Freeze dry shits on Rotom, who is really the only true counter to him, and when Mamo is paired with maggy, Skarm, Sciz, and Ferrothorn die, who are the only things that can truly wall him. Of course there's shit like Azu, ninja, and keld, but they're easily handled by one or two of 5 other teammates.

Also he shits on the shits genie spam.

Keep Mamo A.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I would just drop Mandibuzz tbh. It's become less and less useful in the current meta and was just way better before aegislash left, similar to how Scoli was way better during the time BP was a thing.

Since we seem to be dropping all stall mons I think i'll suggest dropping the 2 regerators mons (Slowbro Amoongus) in A- to B+. both wall far less things then chansey or skarm. There main role is to counter keldeo and thats about it. Neither has that much offensive presence either. I find its much easier to build a team around skarm/chansey then those 2.

Thoughts?

Since we seem to be dropping all stall mons I think i'll suggest dropping the 2 regerators mons (Slowbro Amoongus) in A- to B+. both wall far less things then chansey or skarm. There main role is to counter keldeo and thats about it. Neither has that much offensive presence either. I find its much easier to build a team around skarm/chansey then those 2.

Thoughts?
ok amoonguss can drop but slowbro is a legit offensive threat because it has so many coverage options(well it has 4 viable ones, but you aren't safe switching ferro into it for instance)

Thoughts?
We're not dropping "stallmons" lol. Just that stupid passive stuff that's bait for all the insane offensive powerhouses aren't that good anymore.

I've used Moltres before, and I'm not sure where it should go. It's good against Charizard-Y, but there are better options for countering Charizard-Y, and plus it needs Defog/Rapid Spin support just to do its job decently. I'm leaning towards unranking it, but I'll summon Agent Gibbs, because he knows more about it than I do.
So I basically don't give a crap what happens to Moltres at this point because Mega Mawile was half the reason to use it, and that's gone so...yeah.

I want to make it look like I contributed more than I actually did.

I don't really agree with dropping Moltres off the list, I think it has a small niche in countering Landorus 100% of the time. Well, unless it's running Rock Slide but that's not terribly common:
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Moltres: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
So this is valuable to some teams. It's not much, and I honestly don't have that much experience with Moltres but I do think it has a niche.

I don't really agree with dropping Moltres off the list, I think it has a small niche in countering Landorus 100% of the time. Well, unless it's running Rock Slide but that's not terribly common:
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Moltres: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
So this is valuable to some teams. It's not much, and I honestly don't have that much experience with Moltres but I do think it has a niche.
why not use a better lando counter?

We're not dropping "stallmons" lol. Just that stupid passive stuff that's bait for all the insane offensive powerhouses aren't that good anymore.
well both of the 2 i mentioned are pretty passive

Sand Rush Offense is so common these days, Manaphy has become a surprise threat for decentely checking it when well played. The Rain Dance + Tail Glow set is pretty much 6-0ing all non-Ferrothorn (which I pair with Magnezone to lol them) stall teams. Chansey is completely destroyed because Hydration + Rain Dance means it can't be Toxic'd and +6 Rain Surf 2HKOes both it and the Ferrothorn "counter". Psychic beats Mega Venusaur, Ammonguss, gets past bulky Water'types and every other stall 'mon is destroyed by Surf like Skarmory. The fact that you are not using your Mega Evo to do this makes it a good 'mon though Mega Heracross and Mega Medicham have there uses over it. Oh wait, I wasn't supporting how this thing crushes Sand Offense. Manaphy gets in on Tyranitar, forces it out to like Rotom-W which is easily 2HKOed by +3 Psychic. Assuming you are facing the most common Sand Offense team which is Landorus-T or Rotom-W / Excadrill / Tyranitar / Mega / Filler, you are giving them a huge hassle. Excadrill trying to switch in and outpace you to KO you with Earthquake can be Rain Dance'd on allowing you to get a huge amount of momentum which can either A) die to Surf or B) you can get a Tail Glow off as they try to switch to there bulky water which will be 2HKOed by Psychic. Sand Offense is so common and when healthy and played correctly, Manaphy gets a huge edge in that department. Manaphy being able to crap on stall and Sand Offense, 2 out of the 3 most common playstyles makes it so powerful. It is already naturally a mono-Water, so taking neutral damage from most atatcks is nice andswitching into Azumarill's Waterfall, Keldeo's Scald, and walling non-GK Greninja makes it usable outside this. It has troubles with HO teams because of Thundurus-I, Terrakion, Landorus-I... but it adapted really well. I think it is a solid A Rank 'mon .and I haven't even talked about the CM and Wacan TGlow sets. Those are very potent as well. Manaphy is a legit 'mon. A Rank

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Vertex said:
and walling non-GK Greninja makes it usable outside this.
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (20 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 73-88 (20.2 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
But yeah, i agree with Manaphy rising, not to A though, that's too much.

Mamoswine should stay where it is. The Sash set is legit, and LO is really powerful. Earthquake and Icicle Crash/Spear is an outstanding STAB combo and Ice priority is really good in this meta. Mamo is also decently bulky uninvested. In addition to that the Focus Sash set can use Endeavor and Ice Shard to some degree of success. It also packs one of the highest base attack stats of any OU SR setter. 130 base attack means resisted attacks still hit hard. Even with the existence of Fairies, Mamo is still my go-to Dragonslayer. Mamo should stay in A. What's the argument for moving it down?

Scoli could move down, although quick-passing is still a good niche. Scoli has two main advantages over Smeargle for a BP slot: it can have legit offensive presence itself and it can set-up multiple times far easier, although with lesser rewards. Quick passing speed can be great combined with any offensive core (except VoltTurn). Just my 2 cents.

So can we please stop referring to Mega Manectric as "mega man?" Sorry, but I can't imagine an electric dog as Mega Man at all.
u wana fite m8

Thoughts?
With Megacham on the rise Slowbro serves as a solid check to it, barring the rare Thunderpunch (doesn't even show up in OU usage for 1695/1825 in July). Though even with Thunderpunch it needs SR damage to have a reliable 2HKO. I won't say much for Amoonguss but with Spore and Clear Smog it isn't exactly the best stallmon to try and set up in front of. Regenerator lessens the need for the two to piss away turns and momentum on self-healing, which is also something.

At the very least, I'll say I don't see a warranted drop for Slowbro.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 25391-> B
Being passive right now in OU is bad. Alomomola is so passive its ridiculous, it can only hope to get off damage with scald burns/toxic, and although it has a great niche in huge wishes + regenerator + good defensive typing that gives it a really good viability, it gives set-up opportunities as well as switch in opportunities to heaps of dangerous mons that brings a risk to the user.

View attachment 25393+View attachment 25394+View attachment 25395 -> C
These pokemon are really irrelevant in OU. Fairies are literally on every OU team, and they destroy hydriegon, there is little reason to use toge, clef is a better wishpasser + win con, and although toge has defog, its a really lack-luster mon. Thundurus, although better than most of the mons in C+, should drop because it is almost completely eclipsed by thundurus I. Yes it does have extra power and volt absorb, but thundurus has much better speed which means so, so much in this meta.

View attachment 25403-> Unranked
The most irrelevent things on the rankings.
I disagree with Togekiss dropping. It's not fantastic by any means, but I think it fits perfectly in C+. It has viable sets outside of the standard Specially Defensive ParaFlinching set, such as NastyPass and NastyLO attacker, and I guess you could make a case for Scarf as well. Then there's the defensive set, which can pretty much do it all: Heal Bell, Wish, Defog, Status, etc. Its typing certainly isn't the best, mainly due to the SR weakness, but it does allow it to handle some select stuff like Garchomp, Landorus, Latios, and Latias well. Offensive sets have enough speed to outrun stuff like Bisharp and Heracross, which is cool, and can boost relatively easily due to its bulk. The fast LO set is really underrated, and if you haven't tried it, you really should. Lastly, its NastyPass set has gained some attention lately, and is really deadly when used with sweepers like Ampharos. Despite being mediocre (none of its stats are that good, they're all just good), its combination of an interesting typing, every supportive move imaginable, ability to support every special attacker in the tier well, great bulk, Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, a good enough speed tier, and sufficient power, especially with a Life Orb, makes me think Togekiss fits well in C+.

As for the other mons you mention, I'm not sure if Alomomola should move down. It's more effective on stall than Chansey because, despite being more passive, it's much harder to wear down. It, just by switching out, recovers health, which is something Chansey wishes it could do. Alomomola can't set rocks or use Heal Bell, but those are easy enough to fit on stall teams now. Its defensive typing is also much superior to Chansey's and Skarmory, so I really think putting it below them is a mistake.

Hydreigon could drop I guess. Its LO set has great coverage, which allows it to function very well against defense, provided Fairies are removed. That part is huge. Azumarill makes its life hell, and Clefable does too. It can run Iron Tail/Flash Cannon, but they're very hard to fit in. Due to its not having a clear niche, but still being able to function, I think it's very similar to Chandelure, and thus C rank is imaginable.

Thundy-T similarly doesn't have a big impact on the metagame. It's known to be good only because of its Double Dance set, which is able to put in work v. offense and defense. Its very powerful, but its biggest flaw is it can't be Thundy-I, who has a much better ability and a much better speed tier, at the cost of 20 special attack, which don't come into play that often. It totally can put work in a game, but I'm really not sure where it belongs. I think it fits in with the mediocre but still holding-of-a-niche mons in C+ like Infernape and Togekiss.

I totally agree with Moltres. Better counters to Char-Y exist. It really doesn't do anything notable anymore. Yes, it does counter Landorus as well, but its way too reliant on hazard support to function as a dedicated counter to so many things; I'd rather use CBBNite who can counter stuff even with rocks.

Thoughts?
We're dropping all stall-mons that are overshadowed by other things, mainly due to their passiveness. Imo only Skarmory and Chansey's ranks are inflated of the stall mons: Slowbro has offensive presence, counters so much stuff, and doesn't get worn down. Amoonguss counters almost as much mons, doesn't get worn down, and can put stuff to sleep, so I think their being higher than Skarmory and Chansey totally makes sense.
Sand Rush Offense is so common these days, Manaphy has become a surprise threat for decentely checking it when well played. The Rain Dance + Tail Glow set is pretty much 6-0ing all non-Ferrothorn (which I pair with Magnezone to lol them) stall teams. Chansey is completely destroyed because Hydration + Rain Dance means it can't be Toxic'd and +6 Rain Surf 2HKOes both it and the Ferrothorn "counter". Psychic beats Mega Venusaur, Ammonguss, gets past bulky Water'types and every other stall 'mon is destroyed by Surf like Skarmory. The fact that you are not using your Mega Evo to do this makes it a good 'mon though Mega Heracross and Mega Medicham have there uses over it. Oh wait, I wasn't supporting how this thing crushes Sand Offense. Manaphy gets in on Tyranitar, forces it out to like Rotom-W which is easily 2HKOed by +3 Psychic. Assuming you are facing the most common Sand Offense team which is Landorus-T or Rotom-W / Excadrill / Tyranitar / Mega / Filler, you are giving them a huge hassle. Excadrill trying to switch in and outpace you to KO you with Earthquake can be Rain Dance'd on allowing you to get a huge amount of momentum which can either A) die to Surf or B) you can get a Tail Glow off as they try to switch to there bulky water which will be 2HKOed by Psychic. Sand Offense is so common and when healthy and played correctly, Manaphy gets a huge edge in that department. Manaphy being able to crap on stall and Sand Offense, 2 out of the 3 most common playstyles makes it so powerful. It is already naturally a mono-Water, so taking neutral damage from most atatcks is nice andswitching into Azumarill's Waterfall, Keldeo's Scald, and walling non-GK Greninja makes it usable outside this. It has troubles with HO teams because of Thundurus-I, Terrakion, Landorus-I... but it adapted really well. I think it is a solid A Rank 'mon .and I haven't even talked about the CM and Wacan TGlow sets. Those are very potent as well. Manaphy is a legit 'mon. A Rank
Manaphy is good against sand offense, that's definitely true. I was adamantly against it dropping for a long time, but just gave in, since it just seemed too slow to do anything against offense, and also unable to do anything to Ferrothorn. However, its ability to remove sand, and thus threaten Excadrill, is interesting. I've always liked the TailDance set, since it, as you said, 6-0's stall teams not carrying Ferro. That set, plus the Calm Mind set I think could make an A- mon, on par with offensive threats like Diggersby. If you compare the two, both can reach insane power and break defensive teams, while not doing as much to offensive teams. However, through Diggersby's priority and Manaphy's bulk, they aren't deadweight against offense. I think due to Diggersby's insane power from the get-go, it's in general move effective than Manaphy, but Manaphy's ability to disrupt two whole playstyles, as well as having two (maybe three, TG + 3 attacks is pretty bad now) viable sets may make it A- worthy.

I also agree with the Mandibuzz drop. It's still decent, but it's not as fantastic as it once was. I'm enjoying using a set to check/counter (depending on rocks) Landorus-I, and it can still manage against other stuff like Zam and Chomp. It's not bad, it's just not worth being in the same rank as stuff like Amoong and Bro. It is pretty terrible on stall teams now, but its use on bulky offensive and balanced teams saves it from dropping any further (btw if you haven't used mandy with mixed defenses + knock off, try it out).

This is my first time posting in this thread, so if I missed something, I apologize in advance, but I wanted to comment on hawlucha, as I have recently started using it, and couldn't be more impressed. I think it absolutely deserves a slot in B rank. If I read correctly:

Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the OU metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

This describes hawlucha perfectly imo. He needs support to get past certain threats that can beat him basically every time, but once those are gone he can easily sweep. The biggest obstacle hawl faces is priority, especially birdspam. Talonflame and mega-pinsir can both make mincemeat out of hawl before he has the chance to do anything, and hawl is also weak to ice shard, another common priority move. However, these threats aren't all THAT hard to contain, as plenty of pokemon counter birdspam easily, such as tyranitar, mega-manectric, and rotom-W, to name a few. Plus, fighting and flying STABs are two of the most powerful in the game, and hawlucha has access to very powerful moves in each to abuse, even with his lower than average attack stat, hitting with a base 130 move is still gonna hurt, especially after a swords dance. And if hawl can get off a swords dance AND unburden boost, it's pretty much GG right there, as very little can hope to stop him at that point. Hawl is a great choice for breaking through some of the more annoying stallmons, as well, as I will often send him in to deal with gliscor or chansey, both of which often underestimate what hawl is about to unleash on them. Basically the only thing either of them can do to hawl is poison him, which he won't really care about, as he'll SD on the turn they try, then sky attack to get his unburden boost, and finish with either acrobatics or high jump kick, depending on the situation. Even the most physically defensive gliscor won't be able to survive a +2 sky attack AND acrobatics back to back, toxic healing behind a protect/sub or not.

Just to back that up: +2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Sky Attack vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 244-288 (69.1 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
and then: +2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 193-228 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
and there you go, a physically defensive titan overcome by a pokemon whose low attack makes people underestimate it. Irony, thy name is hawlucha. Now with that said, hawl could potentially get into trouble against a gliscor with protect AND subs, as it'll take a LONG time to break through and get the kill on him, but those aren't too common. Usually the gliscor i see run a set like protect/toxic/knock off/earthquake or something similar. And since hawl resists EQ, and knock off would only benefit it by activating unburden, gliscor's only real option is to toxic/protect stall, and it'd be dead long before that killed hawl. I've had this exact scenario play out before, and my hawl was able to kill gliscor AND 3 more pokes behind it before dying to toxic poison.

In addition to all that, hawlucha is one of the few flying types that take neutral damage from stealth rocks, and as a flying type is immune to spikes/toxic spikes/sticky web, so he doesn't fear much from entry hazards, which are one of the leading factors to consider when adding pokemon to your team.

So in summary, I think hawl has the tools necessary to justify a slot in B rank, as it can really put the hurt on a lot of the metagame, even physically bulky threats that would ordinarily be a hassle for a pokemon with low attack.

I don't think Scolipede should drop. It can pass defense/attack and speed boosts simultaneously, giving it a unique and useful niche that makes it pair well with the likes of Mega Gardevoir/Heracross by helping them against offense. The Speed Boost cleaner set is also pretty neat, being impossible to outspeed if given 2 turns and hits decently hard thanks to Life Orb and a strong STAB option in Megahorn.

Agreeing with kicking Moltres off. I literally have no idea what this thing is supposed to do outside of dealing with Mega Mawile (who's gone now) and Zard Y.
Actually, I think Scolipede needs to be up for suspect test. It has the same annoying protect/sub problem as Gliscor, with massive attack power, speed boost (what pretty much got blaziken banned), and mother frikin baton pass. If anyone wants to add to this, feel free.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Actually, I think Scolipede needs to be up for suspect test. It has the same annoying protect/sub problem as Gliscor, with massive attack power, speed boost (what pretty much got blaziken banned), and mother frikin baton pass. If anyone wants to add to this, feel free.
Scolipede is nowhere near broken, so a suspect test isn't happening anytime soon. Also, S-rank Pokemon are the ones that get suspected, not something that's about to drop from A- to B+.

*Edit

Oh derp, that already happened. lol

*Edit 2

Huh. I honestly didn't know that, Nog. The more you know.

Last edited:
Just would like to clear something up really quickly. If a Pokémon is S rank, it doesn't mean it will get suspected and in fact a poke can be suspected no matter what it's ranking in this thread. This thread doesn't influence the council's decisions at all and btw Scolipede is never going to get suspected in OU, ever.

Lucario wishes it could run Swords Dance, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, Iron Tail, AND Ice Punch, but can't. You lose out on Clefable and other Fairies without Iron Tail but lose out on Zapdos, Gliscor, and Landorus-T without Ice Punch. Isn't that the definition of 4MSS? All Landorus-T needs to do is scout for Ice Punch, and if it has Ice Punch, just use something else because I guarantee you have something else to muscle past Lucario.

As for your comments on Hawlucha, I could just as easily say Lucario is having a hard time doing anything should the opponent have Gengar, any Landorus-T running more Speed, Mega Venusaur, etc. But I'm not because you could make almost any Pokemon look bad by saying that. Is Lucario great against stall? Sure, I'll give you that. But I don't want something that's great against stall that is borderline useless against any well-built offensive team (at least Hawlucha has usable Speed) and considering offense is more common than stall... I think we know which one has more weight.
I really dont consider Lucarios situation 4mss, despite it being very similar. You basically pick what playstyle you want to beat the most, and still do well enough against other playstyles, its very different from mons that lose a lot by choosing a particular move over another, for example Starmie. I really don't know where you got borderline useless against offense from, Lucario cannot be revenged by the two most common sweep stoppers, Talonflame and Thundorus, who both absoloutely destroy Hawlucha, and are far more viable than the majority of the mons Lucario has trouble with, not to mention being an excellent revenge killer and far less situational than Hawlucha. Don't get me wrong, I actually find both Hawlucha and Lucario to be decent mons, but stating that Hawlucha is far more viable than Lucario is really misinformed.

A- ----> A-

Yes, Chansey is not as good as it once was because the meta has been literally forced to adapt to it and the dust is now finally starting to settle in that regard, hence all the Mega Gardevoirs, Knock Off Lando-I's, etc which owe a lot of their popularity and success to the fact that they prevent it from walling the shit out of you so easily. That said, while the recent nomination is understandable, I don't think it should drop right now because in my opinion, Chansey really should have been ranked higher than A- back when she was at her peak (when she was a literal staple on every stall team and walling almost every common special attacker, period) and thus dropping her isn't necessary at the moment because the only modest ranking she was given back then now suits the current times, and I'll explain why.

Chansey is indeed a bit on the passive side, but at the same time, Seismic Toss 3HKO's pretty much everything on offense that switches into her, so doing so continuously isn't really sustainable for the opponent. Yes, you potentially give things like Mega Heracross a switch-in at the cost of taking a Toss or getting hit with a Toxic (which can be very helpful for stall in dealing with it, mind you) which might be a good trade-off for the opponent, but the thing is, you need a switch-in for Mega Heracross on your team regardless and there are numerous other mons on stall that things like Hera can quite easily come in on, that's just the general nature of a lot of stall mons; they usually only have a relatively small window of things that they can directly threaten and they rely on constant switching to cover up their own flaws.

The blob is still a very good Stealth Rock setter, being able to set rocks on virtually any special attacker not named Keldeo, passing what are usually 100% replenishing Wishes and still being a very good general purpose wall and one of the few answers to some of the fiercest special attackers like Zard-Y, ensuring that she'll always have some kind of direct role that is in demand.

On balance teams, it can be a pain in the ass and replace Toxic with T-Wave to bugger up switch-ins and make them easily taken down by other members of your team. The paralysis support is really appreciated for bulky offense teams, who now have their biggest flaw patched up; speed, and passing wishes to bulky offense members can be a huge issue for the opponent. I've both played with and against bulky offense teams that have a Chansey, and it can be a nightmare for stall (and offense) because they have no sure way to prevent Chansey from passing Wishes to things like Mega Heracross, Gardevoir, etc, and they can keep rinsing and repeating this until you get worn down to the bone.

So in conclusion, Chansey might not be able to wall as many mainstream threats as it once could, but it still has many good things going for it in the way of team support and it still has the massive mixed bulk it always had, which when taken together, should be enough for it to retain its position.

A- ----> B+

Mandibuzz was amazing back when Aegislash was a thing and I found myself using it frequently to a lot of success, but the bulky vulture has certainly lost one of its best niche's in its absence and thus it's having a harder time standing out from the crowd than it used to. On the other hand, losing Mawile was a big plus for it, which has given Mandi 1 less threatening counter, and it also fares pretty well against a lot of sand offense members which has seen a big increase in popularity. B+ is good.

I am thinking about dropping Scolipede because it lost its niche on full Baton Pass teams, aka teams centered around preparing a sweep of Espeon, because Smeargle outclasses Scolipede in this particular role now that only one Baton Pass user is allowed on a team. Geomancy + Cotton Guard Smeargle > Iron Defense Scolipede.

Scolipede still has a decent cleaning set and an Iron Defense + Baton Pass set to help other sweepers, but without Espeon on the team the strategy is very easy to deal with Prankster Thunder Wave, phazers, and Unaware Quagsire amongst others. And if you use Espeon, Smeargle > Scolipede.

So, the cleaning set is still as effective as it was, but Scolipede's role as a Baton Pass user has lost a lot of its previous viability, which leads me to believe it should drop to B. And just to be clear, the cleaning set alone was never worthy of B+ imo, it was the cleaning set in combination with the BP set that made Scolipede a B+ rank threat.
To be perfectly honest, the cleaning set is actually shaping out to do a better job than before because of an increase in popularity and viability of it's best partners and a decrease in popularity and viability of defensive teams (due to the Mega stallbreakers and Mew) which were a huge pain to deal with for Scolipede. Another thing I want to bring up is the fact that Scolipede will fit nicely in B+ after the move ups: Hopefully under the Mega Cleaners (at least they should move up), the same rank as things like Magnezone (who funnily enough is a very nice partner due to it's trapping abilities and the scarfed set's ability to check birdspam.) And above Pokemon like Scizor who have only gotten worse. Yes, the BP set is worse now, as it's outclassed, but as I believe the cleaning set is now better than is used to be, I feel like one of the sets increasing in viability and the other one decreasing in viability balance each other out and Scolipede, as a result, should stay in B+.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I can see Hawlucha rising to B-, but B is overselling it a bit. You literally have 1 chance to sweep with it and the bird can't do work early- or mid-game with SubSitrus. If Unburden activates from damage before your checks are dealt with adequately, you end up getting crippled, phased, or forced out and rendered useless or the rest of the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)