smogon irl

So does anyone ever meet up with local players in their area just to hang out, trade pokez, strategize, and battle? There's just something romantic about it to me, my fondest memories that as a kid was going to borders pokemon league to trade and battle. I'm an avid vgc player so I constantly go to tournaments but I enjoy smogon as well I just wish there was more interacting in person.

I've met a decent amount of Smogoners IRL (both at VGC and just to chill), though the focus of conversation was never really Pokemon. On the flip side, I have IRL friends that don't use Smogon that I'll usually trade and battle with when hanging out.

I'm sure if there were Smogoners close enough to where I live that I could hang out with on a regular basis, I'd be up for trading and battling. I usually only see specific Smogoners once or twice, though, so we're more likely to just bullshit and joke around :P

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Me and Cherub Agent meet as often as we are in each others countries. And Rowan is a small train journey away so we can meet up as often as we are feeling it.

Aside from those two; I'm hopefully seeing LivingRhino In about a week and I meet various Smogoners at VGC (although this year I was going down with Serebii Staff) and plan to meet a lot more next year

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It depends a lot on your location. I'm from a rural town, so I'm fairly sure the only Smogoners were people in my friend group. If you live in a more densely populated area with more young people, chances are there are competitive players. And like others have said, you can generally find others at events, though Smogon's presence at smaller VGC events is generally lower.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think quite a bunch of Smogonites met during Pokemon World Championships.
But they are either representing their countries, or are staffs...

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I meet up with some local smogon friends every so often, in fact I plan on meeting up with one or two relatively soon.

One guy was shocked when I told him I was Layell, and one other shook my hand when I told him I led the April Fools day stuff on PS. Being internet famous is quite cool, and I have fond memories of all the times I have met up with other players. Most are chill and cool, weird and obnoxious people are the extreme minority.

Last edited:

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
go ahead and check the Greatest Hits forum for my threads or just search for "Smocon"

I have not done an official count yet, but I have probably met well over 200 people from both Smogon and Nugget Bridge

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've met both Fishy and Sarenji and I had a lovely time with both of them. Meeting people that you have somewhat familiarity with outside of the net has always been fun -- you know each other on a personal level but never actually put a real face to it. A certain je ne sais quoi about it which I very much enjoy.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've met like 7 (from Smogon, as well as additional others from Pokecommunity) off the top of my head and I plan to meet about 10 (I thiiink?? though of that 10 I'll only probably meet about 5 or so because ppl suck :|) people I haven't met irl before in December. Oh and I'll be meeting PC people then too probably! I love meeting Smogoners its just that there's not anyone around here really so I has to travel for them :'( But idm because I enjoy escaping the backyard that is this city. If I could I'd meet like everyone and there's loads of people I intend to meet over the next few years I just need to figure out how to do it C: For now only Australians tho.

(note: If anyone is in Sydney/Brisbane/ACT in December and even if you don't know me let's meet up just for the fun of it ok!!)

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
I never opposed to meeting people from here, but living in the Netherlands makes it harder to just simply meet up. One day maybe :p

meeting smogonites is awesome-- I think every time I've done so it's been a positive experience. It might be a naive perspective but I've always felt that meeting reputable smogon users is like meeting celebrities!

I've met up with chaos twice, see Nastyjungle all the time, and also met Rocket Grunt after a show he did!

I also got completely no-showed by user LonelyNess one time when I tried to meet him in person! It was a really awesome experience waiting at a restaurant by myself. Fortunately we've done work together since then and it's never come up, so it's kind of like it never happened!

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
i was in the same year at the same school as citro for a couple of years before i moved over here to NZ, and only found out once id moved which sucks :[
apart from that ive never met any smogoners to my knowledge, though i hopefully plan to meet other new zealanders (TGMD, TRC, TalkTakesTime and more) once im at uni and can move around more freely
Say hi to Fatecrashers for us if you see him!

Well, there aren't much competitive battlers here in the desert Morocco and that use Smogon (the only one I know is apt-get but do you really expect him to do something?). So yeah I didn't meet any Smogon users but I'll gladly do so if there was some nearby n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)