ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Mega Gallade has being very utility-based in addition to being a very good physical attacker. Will-o-wisp or thunder wave some bitches then murder with cc and priority ghost moves, gg

I suspect that M-Gallade getting Inner Focus may be them trying to "balance" it out but given their past records of trying to "balance" pokemon out, I'm skeptical as to whether or not it needs it. The problem with this is that what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily work out well in practice and vice versa. Some pokemon (ie. M-Kanghaskhan) didn't look broken to them but turned out to have issues once players figured out how to exploit it. On the opposite end, there are pokemon that they likely deemed too strong that they tried to "balance" (ie. Slaking, Archeops) that ended up being greatly hindered. I hope this isn't the case with M-Gallade since their pre-emptive actions on seemingly broken pokemon don't always work out and sometimes end up greatly hindering the pokemon they tried to "balance".

Well if we're lucky they could release a Mega Seviper and Mega Zangoose (would make for great version exclusives as well).
Assuming they go back version exclusives from the original games, we already have Sableye and Mawile. But even if we didn't have those two, I'd rather not have Seviper and Zangoose get megas just yet. I'd like them to get regular evolutions first. They are supposed to share a generations-long feud with each other and have evolved and adapted to basically counter each other. I'd like them to get regular evolutions first with each stage representing the next step in adaptations to counter each other.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Assuming they go back version exclusives from the original games, we already have Sableye and Mawile. But even if we didn't have those two, I'd rather not have Seviper and Zangoose get megas just yet. I'd like them to get regular evolutions first. They are supposed to share a generations-long feud with each other and have evolved and adapted to basically counter each other. I'd like them to get regular evolutions first with each stage representing the next step in adaptations to counter each other.
... I think I have some bad news for you, me, and pretty much everyone. Now that Mega Pokemon exist, I sadly don't think we'll ever see a cross generation evolution ever again. Mawile, Absol, and Sableye deserved evolutions just as much as Seviper and Zangoose do, but look what happened to them. Actually, I also think Houndoom, Manectric, Banette, and possibly Audino had potential for another evolution... oh, wait, they got a Mega evolution. Oh well. :(

And honestly that wouldn't be so bad if they just made their stats reflect the "Mega" part of their name. A Pokemon with a BST under 580 (the BST of a Legendary Trio) is not a "Mega" Pokemon. It's a Pokemon who had potential taken away from them. I have a real simple formula that they could use to remedy that:

Take the Pokemon's BST, add 100. If it's not equal to or over 580, add 50 points until the BST is equal to or over 580.

I think the era of Past gen Pokemon getting new non-mega evolution is all but dead. Other than Eevee of course.
The pattern was that we get a butt ton of higher evolution to existing Pokemon on even numbered gens, and, well, they're not breaking that pattern but all the "higher evolutions" are megas. If Zangoose and Seviper don't get megas i doubt they'll get anything.

I'm wondering about Sableye/ Mawile.... will they still be version exclusive and will their mega stones be? It would be weird for the same reason as the 2 mega Balzekin argument. If you already bought X or Y then there's a stronger inclination to get Sabeley's game (AS presumably) over the other one. So I expect that their mega stones will be in both games and that they might go from being exclusive to that thing were Sableye has a 20% encounter rate and Mawile a 5% in AS and then the encounter rates are reversed in OR. Basically because everyone already has Mawilite and no one has Sabelite I kind of doubt they'll actually be version exclusives... I could be wrong I guess...

EDIT:(I've been getting Ninjask'd pretty good these last few pages)

I'm wondering about Sableye/ Mawile.... will they still be version exclusive and will their mega stones be? It would be weird for the same reason as the 2 mega Balzekin argument. If you already bought X or Y then there's a stronger inclination to get Sabeley's game (AS presumably) over the other one. So I expect that their mega stones will be in both games and that they might go from being exclusive to that thing were Sableye has a 20% encounter rate and Mawile a 5% in AS and then the encounter rates are reversed in OR. Basically because everyone already has Mawilite and no one has Sabelite I kind of doubt they'll actually be version exclusives... I could be wrong I guess...
Which is also another reason why I think Mega Dusknoir could be a thing - Sableye's mega stone is the new mega stone exclusive to Sapphire, while Dusknoir's is the new mega stone exclusive to Ruby. Or the other way round if they wanna go the manectric/houndoom stone route of having the stone be in the opposite version to the Pokémon.

sigh.... I'm gonna be honest. I'm a fan of "fair treatment" and I know it doesn't happen in Pokemon at all. But I'd rather not think about Dusknoir getting a mega this gen after Banette spent 2 gens without a 3rd evo...

I think I'd only be ok with a Mega Dusknoir if the E4 uses megas...

You know whatd be funny as hell? if spinda got a mega evolution. I can imagine it being fatter , (thus cuter) lol
I really want these kinda useless pokemon to get evolutions, or at least a mega evolution(Spinda, Plusle/Minum, Dunsparce, Farfetch d, Luvdisc.)
Also, Girafarig and sunflora would have VERY cool and random mega evolutions, like mega loppuny, a nice and cool surprise for everyone heh

I think the era of Past gen Pokemon getting new non-mega evolution is all but dead. Other than Eevee of course.
The pattern was that we get a butt ton of higher evolution to existing Pokemon on even numbered gens, and, well, they're not breaking that pattern but all the "higher evolutions" are megas. If Zangoose and Seviper don't get megas i doubt they'll get anything.

EDIT:(I've been getting Ninjask'd pretty good these last few pages)
No, no, Sablite will be exclusive to Omega Ruby, probably along with Sharpedite. Or it might be where Sableye/Mawile appear in hordes of the other like Zangoose and Sevivper.

However they do it, the point is they are aware that even more than version exclusive Pokemon everyone can trade around for on GTS, 1 time exclusive things like legendaries and mega stones are often times the deciding factors in what version a person purchases. So they aren't going to tip the balance between versions by making Sablite and Mawilite an "exclusive" item pair. If Sablite is version exclusive it will be paired with something other than Mawilite. And if it isn't version exclusive then I imagine Sableye itself won't be either.

So I don't feel like we can safely say we have any version exclusive mega pairs yet...

Last edited:
But Game Freak isn't shooting for the usage or viability of one pokemon over another, it's shooting to hit someone's favorite, in a way that does work for that pokemon, without breaking it. At any rate, we're at forty-eight confirmed Mega pokemon already, between XY and ORAS, and that number is still rising. Even this early on, there are going to be pokemon who are similar, and the similarities are just going to keep stacking up as more pokemon become capable of mega evolution. I mean, look at Pidgeot and Fearow, for example. In Red and Green, they performed similar roles, had the same typing, and both evolved from pokemon who could be caught early in the game, and had similar move pools and stats. So why did they both exist? Pokemon, at it's core, isn't about what's better than something else, it's about letting people have variety and being able to choose and play with their favorites.

Anyway...umm, that kind of got away from me, but I'd be surprised if all of the mega pokemon for this generation weren't all finalized together, and just spread out across the games, so I don't think foresight was really required in this regard, and that they knew what they were doing when they made similar megas.
I've given up figuring out what in the world goes through Game Freak's head when choosing which pokemon to give megas, but something they were consistent in was making them viable. VGC's obviously their main concern, but Sharpedo will not be viable there at all. There's also wifi singles, which is what Smogon's tiers are based off of, but they don't typically balance the megas for that, they balance them for that, they balance them for post game festivities like the battle maison, where Sharpedo's inconsistency will be an even greater hindrance.

These aren't just any pokemon we're talking about, there were 150 of them back in the day and God knows how many now, these are megas that were specifically made to draw fans deeper into the fandom. Unless there's something big about Sharpedo we don't know yet, it is a huge failure at that, so I'll focus on it I wouldn't mind too much because it's clearly a success from the story viewpoint, but seriously, how hard would it have been to make Sharpedo as good as Gyarados without directly competing with it? A glass cannon sounds nice to me, assuming it evenly divides up the 100 stat boost, a revenge killer with its STAB Crunch and coverage of ___ fang moves sounds absolutely nothing like Gyarados, but a ton like a physical Greninja, maybe even slightly better, but it'll take up a mega slot for so little gain. Game Freak clearly didn't put enough effort into this mega, and that bugs me.

So we have Mega Gallade, Mega Medicham, and Mega Mewtwo X as the resident Psychic/Fighting Megas and there are now up to 10 Psychic Type megas. Yeah, I see nothing biased there. That's somewhere between a quarter and a fifth of the total Mega population and I am wondering why is this happening? (Granted 4 of those are legendary)

Before the games come out, could we at least see another Mega whose primary typing is Poison or Ice? I just like variety. Remember when RSE originally came out and we got a Fire starter that had Fighting as a secondary type when it evolved? It was amazing; Blaziken could handle Rock types with ease. A generation later we had the equally impressive Infernape, then one after one more generation Emboar, which let us down somewhat as the newest Fire/Fighting type. That was when we got sick of the same routine. When XY was announced and we received word of Delphox being NOT a Fire/Fighting type, we were relieved that there was going to be change. But a lot of people were disappointed was when Delphox was announced to be a Fire/Psychic type whose secondary typing was considered dead weight if anything.

So yeah Game Freak, please no more Psychic MEvos okay?

An easy way to get around this issue would be spreading evenly version exclusive megas that were available in XY and those that were not. For instance, AS could have mega Sableye (new) and mega Blaziken 1 (old) and OR mega Mawile (old) and mega Blaziken 2 (new) - assuming there will be a second mega Blaziken, but the logic is the same regardless.

An easy way to get around this issue would be spreading evenly version exclusive megas that were available in XY and those that were not. For instance, AS could have mega Sableye (new) and mega Blaziken 1 (old) and OR mega Mawile (old) and mega Blaziken 2 (new) - assuming there will be a second mega Blaziken, but the logic is the same regardless.
Yeah I don't see that happening. They released Sableye on its own and stuff and hyped it to everyone planning to get the games. The version exclusive they released for XY (Tyranitar & Aggron) got released together as a pair. They didn't pair Sableye with anything and Sableye traditionally IS paired with a Pokemon that also has a Mega. So it would make sense that it's stone would be on both games the same way it's partner's stone was. I mean, what your saying is possible but it just doesn't feel like what they'd do to me.... going with my gut here. I don't think we've seen a version exclusive pair yet.

Alright so we know that the contests are gonna return but do we know what the ribbons will look like? Or can we just assume that they'll be the same as the originals?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Alright so we know that the contests are gonna return but do we know what the ribbons will look like? Or can we just assume that they'll be the same as the originals?
I'm guessing same as original. At most when we get one it'll be presented like getting a Badge, showing us a 3D model of it.

I'm guessing same as original. At most when we get one it'll be presented like getting a Badge, showing us a 3D model of it.
I hope they are the same because it's hard to breed a good iv poke on an emerald retail version and get all the ribbons. It would be so much easier to breed a good one on HG, get all the ribbons, shiny leaves, get ribbons on pearl, transfer to black and then to xy get all the ribbons on that and then do the same thing with oras. Yeah this is what I plan to do before the games are released. Am I the only one excited for the contests? Lol.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I hope they are the same because it's hard to breed a good iv poke on an emerald retail version and get all the ribbons. It would be so much easier to breed a good one on HG, get all the ribbons, shiny leaves, get ribbons on pearl, transfer to black and then to xy get all the ribbons on that and then do the same thing with oras. Yeah this is what I plan to do before the games are released. Am I the only one excited for the contests? Lol.
Cheater. :P

I'm guessing there are going to be a few new ones, like maybe one for Mega Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's cheating a little bit but still perfectly valid.

I wouldn't mind it if they introduced additional ribbons just as long as they keep the originals. Cos otherwise my plan for a competitive poke with all the in game ribbons will fail. The horror.
Well when you go to that Pokemon's stat screen does it show it has those Ribbons? If it does than I think there's a strong possibility they will be the same.

Pokemon keep their ribbons. If you win a contest on Ruby version and trade it all the way to XY the ribbon will be there. (same with any ribbon you get in any game) So the question will be if the contest ribbons fro ORAS count as the same ones from RSE (which I would guess they will be.) The idea being that if you want ALL the ribbons on a Pokemon you can do it without having to breed the Pokemon on a gen 3 game and then trade it up through a million generations, 'cause you can get those same ribbons in gen 6, supposedly.

Pokemon keep their ribbons. If you win a contest on Ruby version and trade it all the way to XY the ribbon will be there. (same with any ribbon you get in any game) So the question will be if the contest ribbons fro ORAS count as the same ones from RSE (which I would guess they will be.) The idea being that if you want ALL the ribbons on a Pokemon you can do it without having to breed the Pokemon on a gen 3 game and then trade it up through a million generations, 'cause you can get those same ribbons in gen 6, supposedly.
Yes, supposedly. It's still a lot of work though.

I wonder if they will add something new wincool will get frustrating way too fast unless i spend all my ingame currency on repels...

Inner focus sounds unimpressive on paper but I agree with the comparison with Gardevoir a few pages back. The only thing Pixellate does for Gardervoir is give it a STAB move roughly equivalent to Close Combat. We were just distracted by Gardevoir's new Fairy type and Pixellate's novelty as a new ability. Gallade should still be a good mon if the stat increases compare to Gardy's. With Will-o-wisp, Thunder wave, Swords Dance, and better SpD, it'll be a lot less one-dimensional than Medicham. Medicham has Bulk Up and Drain Punch too but Gallade may actually be able to use the combo.

Edit: Just thinking that Strong Jaw Sharpedo + Rain + Waterfall, Crunch, and Ice Fang puts a nice multiplier on the whole moveset. The fact that all those moves come with hax might also help out sometimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)