There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC 3/3 (Sweep, Fireburn, Edgar)
GP 2/2 (fleurdyleurse, frenzyplant)
DONE!

the little BW NU that could

Overview
########
Mawile is characterized by its outstanding typing, as well as its decent defensive stats and an obscene Attack stat when Mega Evolved. Its Steel / Fairy typing allows it to check 3 of the most dangerous Pokemon in Ubers: Xerneas, Yveltal, and Darkrai. Its movepool complements it well, with access to Swords Dance to bolster its already high Attack stat, strong priority in Sucker Punch that allows it to force quite a few switches, and several coverage options to surprise its would-be checks and counters. What its movepool lacks is reliable recovery which, when combined with its slightly disappointing special bulk, means it needs to invest heavily in Special Defense instead of Attack. Being a grounded Pokemon with this flaw also makes Spikes one of its worst enemies, especially because Mega Mawile cannot hold Leftovers. Mawile and its Mega forme both have a terrible Speed stat which makes them over-reliant on Sucker Punch. Will-O-Wisp is the bane of Mawile, especially because there are many fast users of the move in Ubers. Lastly, Mawile has poor bulk before Mega Evolving, although it can force the switches it needs to Mega Evolve safely.

Special Tank
########
name: Special Tank
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Pain Split / Swords Dance
ability: Intimidate
item: Mawilite
evs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
Iron Head is Mawile's STAB attack that allows it to OHKO or 2HKO Fairy-types, including the extremely dangerous Geomancy Xerneas, with hardly any Attack investment whatsoever. Play Rough is Mawile's secondary STAB move, and although it is more powerful than Iron Head, it does have a 10% chance to miss. It OHKOes Yveltal, Darkrai, and heavily damages all of the common Dragon-types in Ubers, while having a 93% chance to OHKO standard Dark Arceus after Stealth Rock. Sucker Punch is Mawile's way of bypassing its terrible Speed stat and OHKOes offensive Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y as well as many other offensive threats with some prior damage. Pain Split is Mawile's only usable form of recovery, and given Mawile's low HP stat when compared to its switch-ins', it will usually regain a sizable chunk of HP when the move is used. Swords Dance gives Mawile a very high chance to OHKO offensive Kyogre and Palkia after Stealth Rock, and forces Lugia to phaze it out. It also allows Mawile to dent support Arceus formes, with the boost from Swords Dance making up for the Attack lost to the burn from Arceus.

Set Details
========
The Special Defense and HP EVs allow Mawile to take any move from +2 Geomancy Xerneas after Stealth Rock damage, and gives it favorable odds should a layer of Spikes be up on its side of the field instead. It also allows it to switch into Yveltal with Spikes on the field. 16 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature give Mawile an almost perfect chance to OHKO offensive Palkia and Kyogre after Stealth Rock damage and a Swords Dance boost with Sucker Punch while not taking too many EVs away from its special bulk. Intimidate gives Mawile utility before it Mega Evolves.

Usage Tips
========
Do not play recklessly with Mawile. The threats it is catered to deal with are all extremely powerful, so it needs to be healthy in order to check them properly. Mega Evolve Mawile as soon as possible in order to patch up its Special Defense. If Mega Mawile is not needed, then keeping Mawile around in its base forme for Intimidate could also be helpful. Be careful when using Sucker Punch. It is a move that forces a lot of mind games, so try your best to maximize the odds in your favor or at least be prepared to play some mind games.

Team Options
========
Kyogre is an almost mandatory teammate, as the rain Drizzle brings weakens Geomancy Xerneas's Hidden Power Fire. Specially defensive Kyogre with Roar can also be a secondary check to Geomancy Xerneas. It and Mawile complement each other so well that specially defensive Kyogre should always be considered first when choosing Mawile's teammates. With Landorus-T and Groudon being thorns in Mawile's side, both Yveltal and Giratina-O are excellent partners for it. Giratina-O can also provide Defog support to remove Spikes. Bulky checks to Steel-types, such as Ho-Oh and Groudon, are also welcome teammates, as Mawile has issues touching bulky Steel-types. Landorus-T checks both Ground-types and Steel-types well and can also set up Stealth Rock to help Mawile net KOs with Sucker Punch. Wish and cleric support make Mawile's job a whole lot easier, and clerics also allow Swords Dance Mawile to take a burn from support Arceus formes and not be useless for the rest of the battle. Healing Wish support from Choice Scarf Shaymin-S performs both roles at once. Paralysis and Trick Room support help Mawile with its Speed problem and can allow it to use its ridiculously powerful STAB moves to their fullest potential. Defog or Rapid Spin support is mandatory because of how badly Spikes hurt Mawile's checking abilities. Scolipede's own Spikes can put a lot of Pokemon into Mawile's Sucker Punch range.

Other Options
########
Taunt stops many of Mawile's switch-ins from using Will-O-Wisp if you can catch them on the switch, allowing Mawile to take them on if need be. Rock Slide OHKOes Ho-Oh on the switch, although +2 Sucker Punch can also KO Ho-Oh after Stealth Rock damage. Baton Pass can help Mawile get rid of support Arceus formes with Gothitelle as a partner. Fire Fang fries Scizor on the switch, which otherwise walls Mawile. Lastly, Knock Off can harass a few of Mawile's switch-ins.

Checks & Counters
########

**Spikes**: Spikes are Mawile's number one enemy. They cut a deep gash into its checking abilities, especially after 2 or more switch-ins.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Scizor, Heatran, and any Steel-type viable in Ubers other than Klefki have a good odds of beating Mawile one-on-one.

**Bulky Ground-types**: Groudon, Landorus-T, and Ground Arceus all OHKO Mawile with Earthquake and are bulky enough to not be 2HKOed by Play Rough plus Sucker Punch.

**Fire-types**: Heatran, Blaziken, and Ho-Oh can all beat Mawile one on one easily. Ho-Oh must watch out for +2 Sucker Punch if it takes Stealth Rock damage, however.

**Will-O-Wisp Users**: Support Arceus formes, Calm Mind Ghost Arceus and Poison Arceus, and Stalltwo can all beat Mawile one-on-one, although no Arceus will like the encounter with Mawile if it carries Swords Dance.

Overview
########
  • Fantastic typing that allows it to check both Xerneas and Yveltal
  • Obscene Attack Stat with Huge Power and decent bulk when Mega Evolved
  • Fantastic ability in Intimidate before Mega Evolving
  • Access to Swords Dance to boost its already stupid Attack stat even further
  • Has access to good priority in Sucker Punch that ends up forcing a lot of switches
  • Has a colorful movepool to surprise some of its would be checks
  • It hates Spikes and can be worn down easy due to its lack of recovery
  • It is susceptible to Will-O-Wisp users although Swords Dance somewhat makes up for this
  • Extremely slow and almost over-reliant on Sucker Punch
  • Because of its slightly disappointing special bulk even when Mega evolved and lack of reliable recovery, Mawile is forced to run a lot of Special Defense investment instead of Attack
  • Has poor bulk before Mega Evolving although it has the ability to force switches to give it the chance it needs.

Steel Trap
########

Moves
========
  • Iron Head is Mawile's primary STAB and most reliable move on the set. It allows it to check Xerneas and other Fairy-types when used along with its Fantastic typing and good Special Bulk
  • Play Rough more powerful than Iron Head but does have a miss chance. It allows Mawile to easily check Yveltal, Darkrai, and Darkceus.
  • Sucker Punch is Mawile's way of bypassing its terrible Speed and allows it to check offensive Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo-Y as well as many others after they have taken prior damage. Its Sucker Punch is comparable to Yveltal's in terms of damage which says something :P
  • Pain Split is Mawile's only usable form of recovery. Its low HP stat usually means it will regain a good chunk of HP when used.
  • Swords Dance and the spread gives Mawile a healthy chance to OHKO offensive Kyogre and Palkia with Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock while also giving it the ability to force Lugia to phaze it. It also allows Mawile to take on Support Arceus formes with the Swords Dance making up for the Attack lost to Burn.

Set Details
========
  • 16 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow give Mawile an almost perfect chance to OHKO Choice offensive Kyogre and Palkia with +2 Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock while still not losing too much bulk in the process
  • The bulk investment allows you to live any hit from +2 Modest Xerneas after a round of Stealth Rock and gives you favorable odds if they have a layer of Spikes up instead. It also allows it to switch into Yveltal with a hazard on the field.
  • Intimidate gives Mawile utility before it mega evolves

Usage Tips
========
  • Don't play recklessly with Mawile as the threats it is catered to deal with are stupid powerful and require it to be healthy it order to check them properly.
  • Mega Evolve as soon as you see the window in order to patch up Mawile's Special Defense for checking what it needs to. If it isn't necessary, keeping Intimidate around instead is fine as well.
  • Sucker Punch is a move that forces a lot of mind games. Try to minimize these mind games in your favor or at least be prepared to play them.

Team Options
========
  • Kyogre is almost manditory as its rain cushions Geomancy Xerneas's HP Fire. It can also be a secondary GeoXern check if it is also Specially Defensive with Roar. SpD Kyogre works extremely well with Mawile in general, so you should always consider this as Mawile's first teammate.
  • Defensive Yveltal is a good check to the Ground-types that plague Mawile.
  • Bulky checks to Steel-types in general work very well with Mawile since they are its biggest problems.
  • Landorus-T helps against both Steel-types and Ground-types
  • Wish / Healing Wish support is greatly appreciated since Mawile has no reliable recovery options
  • Cleric / Healing Wish support means SD Mawile can take a burn and not be too bothered by it seeing how there is a way to get rid of the burn later.
  • Defog / Rapid Spin support is almost mandatory, seeing how Spikes really put a dent into Mawile's checking abilities.
  • Paralysis / Trick Room support help Mawile with its Speed problem and allow it to use its ridiculous STAB moves to full effect.
  • Scolipede's ability to set hazards can help put many threats into Sucker Punch range.

Other Options
########
  • Taunt - Shuts down Arceus's ability to Will-O-Wisp if you catch it on the switch and is a generally good move in this meta.
  • Rock Slide - bye bye turkey
  • Baton Pass - use with Shadow Tag mons
  • Fire Fang - to fry Scizor
  • Knock Off - to harass a few switch-ins

Checks & Counters
########
  • Spikes
  • Bulky Steel-types
  • Bulky Ground-types
  • Fire-types
  • Will-O-Wisp users

Last edited:

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
I would like to flesh out Team Options and Usage Tips more later, but this is qc ready for the most part

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Toxic is a waste of time on Mawile - slash Pain Split instead. This gives Mawile some recovery which is often quite important given its poor HP and low Speed, meaning it'll often get a nice chunk of health out of the deal. Dice has used Pain Split with success so if you have questions ask him.

"Switch in on Yveltal multiple times" - Mawile is 3HKOed by LO Dark Pulse so it has to be careful.

SDef Kyogre needs to go from "helps loads" to "practically mandatory", the rain is vital in checking Xerneas teams with Groudon as sun boosted +2 HP Fire deep fries Mawile. Mawile should never be relied on as a primary Xerneas check unless you have something like SDef Ogre to back it up since its bulk before the Mega Evolution is not that good. Mawile does help take pressure off of Kyogre but acting as a switchin to Dark special attackers so the two work excellently together.

Scolipede is a good teammate for providing useful Spikes support.

Paralysis/TR support can help make up for poor Speed. Unfortunately Mawile is too slow for Sticky Web so I wouldn't mention Shuckle.

You omitted Fire-types as checks for some reason - Ho-Oh and Heatran both wreck Mawile and Blaziken can eat a Sucker Punch and revenge it if necessary.

You can add Knock Off and Stealth Rock to OO. Mawile isn't particularly good at either but Knock Off can harass some checks and Stealth Rock can be used for compression.

Paging Edgar as he has quite a bit of experience with this mon.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
You omitted Fire-types as checks for some reason - Ho-Oh and Heatran both wreck Mawile and Blaziken can eat a Sucker Punch and revenge it if necessary
I knew I was forgetting something @_@
Ho-Oh I will mention last when writing it up since it is always OHKOed by +2 Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock but the other two are solid vs Mawile. (Heatran - Counter, Blaze - Check, Ho-Oh - situational check)

Anyways: All Implemented

Edit: If you want an example of a team that doesn't use SpD Oger with Mawile, use my RMT link in my sig. I use it with Heatran, 2 Ground Immunities, and a Grasseus but it does show that this is doable.

Last edited:
I think pain split should be first slash, Mawile is easily pressured for health against teams where it wants to check Yveltal and Xerneas. sd is a nice move but I don't see it sweeping offense with the +2 sucker, for example you only don't OHKO ho mons like Zekrom, Ekiller, Xerneas, Yveltal with it, and that is if you manage to set up. I'm a little inexperienced with this mon, however, so someone might fill me in but I would assume there are plenty of scenarios where pain split is nice to have.

Some other option stuff: Super Fang (pressures switch ins when burned, otherwise pretty bad since you have high attack anyway), Sing (if you can force a switch and hit then it's actually not bad, generally unreliable though), Taunt (cause it gets it).

Maybe ice punch can be put into other options to lure out landorus t? I would also suggest focus punch for Heatran and Ferro, but those might be too uncommon.

By the way, I think it is better to just make another bullet for goth, instead of mentioning Trick Room. Tr dialga and palk are almost non existent, and mawile can often not switch in to their checks (unless blob), so you would need to pivot first, and by the time you're done, Mawile will just have three turns left while risking to get damaged if your opponent predicts you/decides to sac/is an idiot. The only time I could see it work is when you use tr goth: Set up, then tr, kill target and switch into mawile on ygod. Maybe I am wrong tho, I have no experience with tr and little with Mawile.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hack

Yeah, I agree with Pain Split being first after talking with others about it and having issues keeping Mawile healthy in my own experience. Changed :)

Thanks for the Other Options suggestions even though most of them are... well... something you would see Piex use and like no one else lol. I never had the best of luck with Sleep moves like Sing and Hypnosis; even when Hypnosis had DPP accuracy. :P

Aidin

I have seen / used Trick Room builds well enough to know that they work (especially with Diancie now). I have never tried to fit Mawile on one of these, but I have no doubt it could if it wanted too.

Edgar

Trick Room is already mentioned in Team Options along side paralysis support since both are aiming to fix the same problem. I can give them each their own bullet though.

Alrighty, bring on the checks :)

Perhaps mention just Will-O-Wisp users in general? I'd imagine its a nightmare trying to Sucker Punch a Mewtwo then get burned by Stalltwo (you cant 2hko if burned). Stuff like Blaziken, Lucario, Life Orb Zekrom and a load of other things that can eat a Sucker Punch can revenge kill Mawile rather easily if they get the chance so perhaps add a bullet point for revenge killers?
I think Substitute is worth a mention somewhere - Mawile can force switches and then deal a decent chunk to whatever comes in... probably OO worthy due to the way it sacrifices your HP which you will need vs w/e you need to check.

QC approved 1/3

Good job. Agreed with Nayrz that WoW users in general are extremely problematic (Heatran can use it for example), and honestly with the bevy of solid options Mawile has, I'd cut the shitty Super Fang from OO. Also, briefly note in the intro that Mawile runs special defense instead of max attack since newer / intermediate players might assume it runs 252+ attack.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Make sure you emphasize this mon's problems and how it has to be played carefully to be used to success.

QC Approved 2/3

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Sweep: Done.

Fireburn: Will do when writing this.

I will be pretty busy (as in when the only time I will be home I will be sleeping) until next monday, so I won't be able to write this until later next week unfortunately. I will try to have it done as soon as possible though.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Mawile in Ubers is characterized by its outstanding typing as well as decent defensive stats and an obscene Attack stat when Mega Evolved. TheIts Steel- / Fairy- typing it has allows it to check 3 of the most dangerous Pokemon in Ubers in, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Darkrai. Its movepool complements it well, with access to Swords Dance to bolster its already stupid high Attack stat, strong priority in Sucker Punch that allows it to force quite a few switches, and several coverage options to surprise its would -be checks and counters. What its movepool lacks is reliable recovery which, when combined with its slightly disappointing special bulk, means it needs to invest heavily in Special Defense instead of Attack. Being a grounded Pokemon with this flaw also makes Spikes one of its worst enemies, especially sincbecause Mega Mawile cannot hold Leftovers. Mawile and its mMega forme both have a terrible Speed stat which makes them almost over-reliant on Sucker Punch. Will-O-Wisp is athe bane of Mawile, especially sincbecause there are many fast users of the move in Ubers. Lastly, Mawile has poor bulk before Mega Evolving, although it can force the switches it needs for the chance to Mega Evolve safely.

JawzSpecial Tank
########

Moves
========
Iron Head is Mawile's most reliable STAB attack that allows it to OHKO or 2HKO Fairy-types, including the extremely dangerous Geomancy Xerneas, with hardly any Attack investment whatsoever. Play Rough is Mawile's secondary STAB move, and although it is more powerful than Iron Head, it does have a 10% miss chance to miss. It OHKOes Yveltal, Darkrai, and all of the Dragon-types in Ubers, while having a 93% chance to OHKO standard Dark Arceus-Dark after Stealth Rock. Sucker Punch is Mawile's way of bypassing its terrible Speed stat, and it also OHKOes offensive Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y, as well as many other offensive threats withat hav some taken prior damage. Sucker Punch's damage output is very comparable to Yveltal's own Sucker Punch just to give you an idea of how powerful it is. Pain Split is Mawile's only usable form of recovery, and given Mawile's low HP stat when compared to its switch-in's, it will usually regain a sizable chunk of HP when the move is used. Swords Dance gives Mawile a very healthyhigh chance to OHKO offensive Kyogre and Palkia after Stealth Rock, and forces Lugia to phaze it out. It also allows Mawile to dent Ssupport Arceus formes, with the boost from Swords Dance making up for the Attack lost to the burn from Arceus will leave Mawile with.

Set Details
========
The Special Defense and HP investmentEVs allow Mawile to take any move from +2 Geomancy Xerneas after Stealth Rock, and gives you favorable odds should a layer of Spikes be up on its side of the field instead. It also allows itMawile to switch into Yveltal with Spikes on the field which is an accomplishment in itself. 16 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature give Mawile an almost perfect chance to OHKO offensive Palkia and Kyogre after Stealth Rock while not taking too many EVs away from its special bulk. Intimidate gives Mawile utility before it Mega Evolves.

Usage Tips
========
Do not play recklessly with Mawile. The threats it is catered to deal with are all extremely powerful, so it needs to be healthy in order to check them properly. Mega Evolve Mawile as soon as possible in order to patch up Mawile's Special Defense. If Mega Mawile is not needed, then keeping Mawile around in its base forme for Intimidate could also be helpful. Be careful when using Sucker Punch. It is a move that forces a lot of mind games, so try your best to minimize the odds in your favor or at least be prepared to play saidome mind games.

Team Options
========
Kyogre is an almost mandatory teammate as it weakens Geomancy Xerneas's Hidden Power Fire with the rain Drizzle brings. Sspecially Ddefensive Kyogre with Roar can also be a secondary check to Geomancy Xerneas. It and Mawile complement each other so well that Sspecially Ddefensive Kyogre should always be considered first when choosing Mawile's teammates. With Landorus-T and Groudon being thorns in Mawile's side, both Yveltal and Giratina-O are excellent partners for it. Giratina-O can also provide Defog support to remove Spikes. Bulky checks to Steel-types such as Ho-Oh and Groudon are also welcome as teammates, aseeing how Mawile has issues touching bulky Steel-types. Landorus-T checks both Ground-types and Steel-types well and can also set up Stealth Rock to help Mawile net KOs with Sucker Punch. Wish and Ccleric support make Mawile's jobs a whole lot easier, and clerics also allows Swords Dance Mawile to take a burn from Ssupport Arceus formes and still not be useless for the rest of the battle. Healing Wish support from Choice Scarf Shaymin-S performs both roles at once. Paralysis and Trick Room support help Mawile with its Speed problem and can allow it to use its ridiculous STAB moves to their fullest potential. Defog or Rapid Spin support are mandatory because of how badly Spikes hurt Mawile's checking abilities. Scolipede's own Spikes can put a lot of Pokemon into Mawile's Sucker Punch range.

Other Options
########
Taunt stops many of Mawile's switch -ins from using Will-O-Wisp if you can catch them on the switch, makallowing it so Mawile canto take them on if need be. Rock Slide OHKOes Ho-Oh on the switch, although +2 Sucker Punch can do the samealso KO Ho-Oh after Stealth Rock damage. Baton Pass can help Mawile get rid of support Arceus formes with Gothitelle as a partner. Fire Fang fries Scizor on the switch, whoich otherwise walls Mawile. Lastly, Knock Off an harass a few of Mawiles switch-ins.

Checks & Counters
########

**Spikes**: Spikes are Mawile's number one enemy. They cut a deep gash into its checking abilities, especially after 2 or more switch -ins.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Scizor, Heatran, and any other Steel-type viable in the Ubers metagame not namedother than Klefki wall or have a good odds of beating Mawile one on one.

**Bulky Ground-types**: Groudon, Landorus-T, and Arceus-Ground Arceus all OHKO Mawile with Earthquake and are bulky enough to not be 2HKOed by Play Rough plus Sucker Punch.

**Fire-types**: Heatran, Blaziken, and Ho-Oh can all beat Mawile one on one easily. Ho-Oh must watch out for +2 Sucker Punch if it takes Stealth Rock damage, thoughwever.

**Will-O-Wisp Users**: Support Arceus formes, Calm Mind Ghost Arceus-Ghost and Poison Arceus, and Stalltwo can all beat Mawile one on -on-one, although no Arceus will like the encounter ifwith Mawile turns out to haveif it carries Swords Dance.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
amcheck

some of this is just clarification.

Overview
########
Mawile is characterized by its outstanding typing, as well as decent defensive stats and an obscene Attack stat when Mega Evolved. Its Steel / Fairy typing it has allows it to check 3 of the most dangerous Pokemon in Ubers,: Xerneas, Yveltal, and Darkrai. Its movepool complements it well, with access to Swords Dance to bolster its already high Attack stat, strong priority in Sucker Punch that allows it to force quite a few switches, and several coverage options to surprise its would-be checks and counters. What its movepool lacks is reliable recovery which, when combined with its slightly disappointing special bulk, means it needs to invest heavily in Special Defense instead of Attack. Being a grounded Pokemon with this flaw also makes Spikes one of its worst enemies, especially because Mega Mawile cannot hold Leftovers. Mawile and its Mega forme both have a terrible Speed stat, which makes them over-reliant on Sucker Punch. Will-O-Wisp is the bane of Mawile, especially because there are many fast users of the move in Ubers. Lastly, Mawile has poor bulk before Mega Evolving, although it can force the switches it needs to Mega Evolve safely.

Special Tank
########

Moves
========
Iron Head is Mawile's STAB attack that allows it to OHKOes or 2HKOes Fairy-types, including the extremely dangerous Geomancy Xerneas, with hardly any Attack investment whatsoever. Play Rough is Mawile's secondary STAB move, and although it is more powerful than Iron Head, it does have a 10% chance to miss. Itd OHKOes Yveltal, Darkrai, and all of the Dragon-types bar Dialga and Reshiram in Ubers, while having a 93% chance to OHKO standard Dark Arceus after Stealth Rock, though it does have a 10% chance to miss. Sucker Punch is Mawile's way of bypassing its terrible Speed stat, and it also OHKOes offensive Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y, as well as many other offensive threats, with some prior damage. Pain Split is Mawile's only usable form of recovery, and given Mawile's low HP stat when compared to its switch-in's, it will usually regain a sizable chunk of HP when the move is used.using it. After a Swords Dance gives, Mawile has a very high chance to OHKO offensive Kyogre and Palkia after Stealth Rock with Sucker Punch, and forces Lugia to phaze it out. It also allows Mawile to dent support Arceus formes, with the boost from Swords Dance making up for the Attack lost to the burn from said Arceus formes' Will-O-Wisp.

Set Details
========
The Special Defense and HP EVs allow Mawile to take any move from +2 Geomancy Xerneas after Stealth Rock, and gives it favorable odds to do so should a layer of Spikes be up on its side of the field instead. It also allows it to switch into Yveltal with Spikes on the field. 16 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature give Mawile an almost perfect chance to OHKO offensive Palkia and Kyogre after Stealth Rock and a Swords Dance boost with Sucker Punch, while not taking too many EVs away from its special bulk. Intimidate gives Mawile utility before it Mega Evolves.

Usage Tips
========
Do not play recklessly with Mawile. The threats it is catered to deal with are all extremely powerful, so it needs to be healthy in order to check them properly. Mega Evolve Mawile as soon as possible in order to patch up Mawile's Special Defense. If Mega Mawile is not needed, then keeping Mawile around in its base forme for Intimidate could also be helpful. Be careful when using Sucker Punch. I; it is a move that forces a lot of mind games, so try your best to minimize the odds in your favor, or at least be prepared to play some mind games.

Team Options
========
Kyogre is an almost mandatory teammate, as it weakens Geomancy Xerneas's Hidden Power Fire with the rain Drizzle brings. Specially defensive Kyogre with Roar can also be a secondary check to Geomancy Xerneas. It and Mawile complement each other so well that specially defensive Kyogre should always be considered first when choosing Mawile's teammates. With Landorus-T and Groudon being thorns in Mawile's side, both Yveltal and Giratina-O are excellent partners for it. Giratina-O can also provide Defog support to remove Spikes. Bulky checks to Steel-types such as Ho-Oh and Groudon are also welcome teammates, as Mawile has issues touching bulky Steel-types. Landorus-T checks both Ground-types and Steel-types well and can also set up Stealth Rock to help Mawile net KOs with Sucker Punch. Wish and cleric support make Mawile's job a whole lot easier, and; clerics also allow Swords Dance Mawile to take a burn from support Arceus formes and not be useless for the rest of the battle. Healing Wish support from Choice Scarf Shaymin-S performs both roles at once. Paralysis and Trick Room support help Mawile with its Speed problem and can allow it to use its ridiculous STAB moves to their fullest potential. Defog or Rapid Spin support are mandatory because of how badly Spikes hurt Mawile's checking abilities. Scolipede's own Spikes can put a lot of Pokemon into Mawile's Sucker Punch range.

Other Options
########
Taunt stops many of Mawile's switch-ins from using Will-O-Wisp if you can catch them on the switch, allowing Mawile to take them on if need be. Rock Slide OHKOes Ho-Oh on the switch, although +2 Sucker Punch can also KO Ho-Oh after Stealth Rock damage. Baton Pass can help Mawile get rid of support Arceus formes with Gothitelle as a partner. Fire Fang fries Scizor on the switch, which otherwise walls Mawile. Lastly, Knock Off an harass a few of Mawiles switch-ins.

Checks & Counters
########

**Spikes**: Spikes are Mawile's number one enemy. They cut a deep gash into its checking abilities, especially after 2 or more switch-ins.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Scizor, Heatran, and any Steel-type viable in Ubers other than Klefki have a good odds of beating Mawile one on one.

**Bulky Ground-types**: Groudon, Landorus-T, and Ground Arceus all OHKO Mawile with Earthquake and are bulky enough to not be 2HKOed by Play Rough plus Sucker Punch.

**Fire-types**: Heatran, Blaziken, and Ho-Oh can all beat Mawile one on one easily. Ho-Oh must watch out for +2 Sucker Punch if it takes Stealth Rock damage, however.

**Will-O-Wisp Users**: Support Arceus formes, Calm Mind Ghost Arceus and Poison Arceus, and Stalltwo can all beat Mawile one-on-one, although no Arceus will like the encounter with Mawile if it carries Swords Dance.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 WreckDra :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########
Mawile is characterized by its outstanding typing, (comma) as well as its decent defensive stats and an obscene Attack stat when Mega Evolved. Its Steel / Fairy typing it has allows it to check 3 of the most dangerous Pokemon in Ubers: (comma to colon) Xerneas, Yveltal, and Darkrai. Its movepool complements it well, with access to Swords Dance to bolster its already high Attack stat, strong priority in Sucker Punch that allows it to force quite a few switches, and several coverage options to surprise its would-be checks and counters. What its movepool lacks is reliable recovery which, when combined with its slightly disappointing special bulk, means it needs to invest heavily in Special Defense instead of Attack. Being a grounded Pokemon with this flaw also makes Spikes one of its worst enemies, especially because Mega Mawile cannot hold Leftovers. Mawile and its Mega forme both have a terrible Speed stat which makes them over-reliant on Sucker Punch. Will-O-Wisp is the bane of Mawile, especially because there are many fast users of the move in Ubers. Lastly, Mawile has poor bulk before Mega Evolving, although it can force the switches it needs to Mega Evolve safely.

Special Tank
########

Moves
========
Iron Head is Mawile's STAB attack that allows it to OHKO or 2HKO Fairy-types, including the extremely dangerous Geomancy Xerneas, with hardly any Attack investment whatsoever. Play Rough is Mawile's secondary STAB move, and although it is more powerful than Iron Head, it does have a 10% chance to miss. It OHKOes Yveltal, Darkrai, and all of the Dragon-types in Ubers, while having a 93% chance to OHKO standard Dark Arceus after Stealth Rock. Sucker Punch is Mawile's way of bypassing its terrible Speed stat, (remove comma) and it also OHKOes offensive Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y as well as many other offensive threats with some prior damage. Pain Split is Mawile's only usable form of recovery, and given Mawile's low HP stat when compared to its switch-ins' (move apostrophe), it will usually regain a sizable chunk of HP when the move is used. Swords Dance gives Mawile a very high chance to OHKO offensive Kyogre and Palkia after Stealth Rock, and forces Lugia to phaze it out. It also allows Mawile to dent support Arceus formes, with the boost from Swords Dance making up for the Attack lost to the burn from Arceus.

Set Details
========
The Special Defense and HP EVs allow Mawile to take any move from +2 Geomancy Xerneas after Stealth Rock, and gives it favorable odds should a layer of Spikes be up on its side of the field instead. It also allows it to switch into Yveltal with Spikes on the field. 16 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature give Mawile an almost perfect chance to OHKO offensive Palkia and Kyogre after Stealth Rock damage and a Swords Dance boost with Sucker Punch while not taking too many EVs away from its special bulk. Intimidate gives Mawile utility before it Mega Evolves.

Usage Tips
========
Do not play recklessly with Mawile. The threats it is catered to deal with are all extremely powerful, so it needs to be healthy in order to check them properly. Mega Evolve Mawile as soon as possible in order to patch up Mawile's its Special Defense. If Mega Mawile is not needed, then keeping Mawile around in its base forme for Intimidate could also be helpful. Be careful when using Sucker Punch. It is a move that forces a lot of mind games, (comma) so try your best to minimize maximize the odds in your favor or at least be prepared to play some mind games.

Team Options
========
Kyogre is an almost mandatory teammate, (comma) as it the rain Drizzle brings weakens Geomancy Xerneas's Hidden Power Fire with the rain Drizzle brings. Specially defensive Kyogre with Roar can also be a secondary check to Geomancy Xerneas. It and Mawile complement each other so well that specially defensive Kyogre should always be considered first when choosing Mawile's teammates. With Landorus-T and Groudon being thorns in Mawile's side, both Yveltal and Giratina-O are excellent partners for it. Giratina-O can also provide Defog support to remove Spikes. Bulky checks to Steel-types, (comma) such as Ho-Oh and Groudon, (comma) are also welcome teammates, as Mawile has issues touching bulky Steel-types. Landorus-T checks both Ground-types and Steel-types well and can also set up Stealth Rock to help Mawile net KOs with Sucker Punch. Wish and cleric support make Mawile's job a whole lot easier, and clerics also allow Swords Dance Mawile to take a burn from support Arceus formes and not be useless for the rest of the battle. Healing Wish support from Choice Scarf Shaymin-S performs both roles at once. Paralysis and Trick Room support help Mawile with its Speed problem and can allow it to use its ridiculously powerful STAB moves to their fullest potential. Defog or Rapid Spin support are is mandatory because of how badly Spikes hurt Mawile's checking abilities. Scolipede's own Spikes can put a lot of Pokemon into Mawile's Sucker Punch range.

Other Options
########
Taunt stops many of Mawile's switch-ins from using Will-O-Wisp if you can catch them on the switch, allowing Mawile to take them on if need be. Rock Slide OHKOes Ho-Oh on the switch, although +2 Sucker Punch can also KO Ho-Oh after Stealth Rock damage. Baton Pass can help Mawile get rid of support Arceus formes with Gothitelle as a partner. Fire Fang fries Scizor on the switch, which otherwise walls Mawile. Lastly, Knock Off can harass a few of Mawile's switch-ins.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Steel-types**: Scizor, Heatran, and any Steel-type viable in Ubers other than Klefki have a good odds of beating Mawile one-on-one (dashes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)