XY OU Fairy-Dragon-Steel based Bulky Offense

Hi, I am Merkur_Lampe, and I don't play on Pokemon Showdown very much, but I enjoy teambuilding and this is my second RMT, while this is like the fourth team I have ever built.

I tried to build a Bulky Offense team which corresponds to this meta, and that's the reason I started with one of my favorite pokemon, Azumarill, with an Assault Vest(that I am telling everyone to use). I thought Kyurem-B will do a great job at breaking walls abusing Teravolt, defeating Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, and Dragonite. The former two could cause problems with my Azumarill, I found a core in the Good Cores Thread in OU forums, and the core had Azumarill, Kyurem-B, and Thundurus. I took out Thundurus since it had almost same coverage as Kyurem-B.

Then I had problems with choosing my Mega. Mega Venusaur seemed great, beating Clefable while checking many things. However, I also wanted to try Mega Scizor too, so I can break Chansey while checking/countering fairies. So I added a Mega Scizor.

That's the FDS core that I started with, and it seemed good. Now I needed a defogger and a Stealth Rock setter. Latias seemed great with Healing Wish.

Now I needed some kind of revenge killer, while checking Thundurus. That thing could really hurt my team. So I chose a scarfed Landorus-Therian, which is immune to Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt. It helped with bird spam and sand offense. I tried this with a defensive pivot, but a scarfed one looked better after I put SpD Heatran with Taunt to check Clefable and other steel types barring Excadrill, which can be checked by Landorus-Therian.

Actually, I almost built with the Mega Venusaur in this team, then I built this team again so it may be out of order. It wasn't very easy..

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

This is a typical AV Azumarill set that I recommend to everyone. I started with this pokemon since it was very good in this meta. The extra 4 EVs in Speed is to deal with the speed ties. It is pretty bulky in both sides, beating Thundurus in 1vs1 situations. This will come in and out while firing off some attacks, sometimes with priority. I considered using a Choice Band, but being locked into one move is not desirable and that Special bulk is necessary to beat Thundurus.
Thanks to Hulg Bears, Now I run Superpower instead of Knock Off, since I had too many of them in my team. This will give me overall good coverage, particularly Ferrothorn which can wall my Azumarill.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

I actually started as a Substitute attacker, then I switched to a Life Orb Roost+3 Attacks, since this will break most walls including a 2HKO on Slowbro. Teravolt helps against Dragonite, Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W(partially against Latis). It can spam Ice Beam, and I can heal back up with Roost. Should not change into rocks, but it has to if necessary. I can switch into Azumarill if I face another dragon that is faster.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Roost

A weird spread of EVs, but 176 SpD avoids 2HKO from Max SpA Mega Gardevoir's Focus Blast. That 8 Def EVs were needed to avoid 2HKO from max Attack Landorus-T's Earthquake. PandaDuckHybrid suggested that I should put 4 more EVs into Defense so I would be able to survive two Close Combats from a Jolly Terrakion. I got the EV spread from the PokeDex, but modified it to be more efficient. It will Sword Dance to Sweep, and it will break Chansey at +2. It can even beat Clefable in 1vs1 scenarios, taking a Flamethrower and 2HKOing with Bullet Punch. This is used as my win condition, so it will stay in until late game.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

This is a standard set, actually. If I were to run a Defensive EV spread, I could become a set-up bait. Healing wish is good for the mons that do not run recovery moves. Azumarill, Landorus-T, Heatran will be the main target, although it can heal other mons, if I had made a mistake before in the game. Psyshock will allow me to hit Chansey harder, and deal with many other threats, serving as a secondary STAB.
Regarding the suggestions, now it has recovery and a bulkier spread. Personally, I use Latias when I need Healing Wish and Defog at the same time, but with this set, I cannot use Healing Wish anymore... But I have many mons with recovery, so that wouldn't be a big problem, hopefully.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

I am not a fan of a scarfed mon, but that was almost compulsary to check Thundurus. It will come in and out U-turning, with Intimidate. That will help in many situations, while serving as a revenge killer. It helps dealing with Sand Offense, although now Tyranitars carry Ice Beams. At least it checks Excadrill and others.. I try to use this as a lead, although it depends on the matchup. Since I have enough Knock-offs, I tried Superpower, to beat Sand reliably.
Taking Amy Sorel's advice, I used Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge, which misses a lot. The EV spread was taken from Alfalfa, allowing this to beat Adamant Char-X at +1.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

This is a SpD Heatran without Speed investment. The investment was designed for Mawiles, so they are irrelevant now. It runs Taunt to stop set ups, and it counters Clefable. This will try to set up rocks, if I get momentum.
This set was recommended by Alfalfa, and it is an offensive rock setter. This will deal with other steel mons that can give me many problems. This offensive spread will be able to deal some damage, and the Air Balloon will make me immune to Ground type moves like Earthquake, allowing me to beat opposing Excadrill. Ancient power is to beat Talonflame, while Earth Power gives me more coverage.

I haven't played many games with this team, although I might have problems with Thundurus. If I lose Mega Scizor, then I have no hope of beating Chansey. Any kind of suggestions are welcome, and please keep in mind that I am not a great player.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Rash Nature
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Roost

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Last edited:

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey.
This is a solid team and I just have some minor nitpicks.
I can see mega charizard x being quite problematic for you, he can easily set up on heatran, a scared kyurem-black and scizor.
Play rough and aqua jet cannot 2hko mega zard x, and rocks won't be always on your side of the field (especially since you have a slow setter and defog latias, there is also the risk that charizard might use roost in the turn you'll use aqua jet.
Needless to say, flare blitz 2hkoes azumarill (252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 173-204 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock).
With that said, I would suggest you two minor changes.
The first one is Jolly Nature over Adamant nature on Lan-therian, since majority of zard x are adamant jolly lan can still surpass him at +1 and scare him off.
The second is Give some speed evs on Tauntran.
Tauntran atm is a very good stallbreaker, however you might find adding some speed evs in order to taunt stuff like mandibuzz, opposing special defensive heatran, leech seed mega venusaur and so on.
Truth to be said, I would suggest you to run a Timid Nature and 120 speed evs, not only this gives you a "breakpoint", but now you'll be able to surpass (and taunt majority of this guys) stuff like 0 saur, 0 mandibuzz, 0 heatran, 44 rotom-wash, majority of bulky lan-therians,
0 gothitelle, 0 defog zapdos, 252 bisharp and especially 216 adamant heracross, the standard ev spread suggested by Smogon at the moment.
This way you'll transform heatran from a fodder against mega heracross to a somehow okay-ish lure, this might be helpful to you, since mega heracross has no reliable way to be stopped, especially if he has bullet seed, since your lan does not have hp flying.

Stuff:

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire

EVs: 248 HP / 112 SAtk / 28 SDef / 120 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Stealth Rock

- Fire Blast

- Taunt

- Protect/ Earth Power

Heatran still has enough bulk thanks to the max hp, I already explained the speed evs, while the satk evs allows you to always ohko mega heracross, I haven't added stealth rocks in the equation since heatran is your setter, but with stealth rocks on the field you will always ohko him without satk evs, so; up to you

Trait: Intimidate

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Earthquake

- U-turn

- Superpower/ Knock Off

- Rock Slide

I hope I was useful to you :]

Last edited:
Amy Sorel beat me to it. Taking her suggestions into consideration will make your team near-perfect.

However outside of Heatran, Ferrothorn becomes a huge problem for your team. This is why I would suggest Superpower>Knock Off on Azumarill. Scizor already has Knock Off on its set so running two is counter-productive.

However, you should keep Superpower on Lando-T because Knock Off doesn't work effectively more than once.

I do not like defensive Heatran on this team. Defensive Heatran is a waste on a team that is focused on taking hits and hitting hard back. I recommend switching your defensive Heatran to an Offensive Air Balloon Heatran. With Air Balloon intact, you can really annoy a lot of Pokemon that rely on Earthquake to beat Heatran, such as Zard X, Excadrill, Dragonite, etc., allowing you to check them really easily. It also gives you more offensive presence than that defensive Heatran set.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Flash Cannon

(Ancient Power is for Talonflame, Flash Cannon is for Clefable and Kyurem-B)

I also suggest you change your Latias to a bulkier spread of 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spe with Recover > Healing Wish. This allows you to take a Life Orb Knock Off from Naive Landorus after Stealth Rock, while still hitting a Life Orb number. Recover also allows Latias to restore its HP, since it gets worn down a lot, and allows you to handle threats much more reliably.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Make these changes and you should be good. Good luck with the team.

I do not like defensive Heatran on this team. Defensive Heatran is a waste on a team that is focused on taking hits and hitting hard back. I recommend switching your defensive Heatran to an Offensive Air Balloon Heatran. With Air Balloon intact, you can really annoy a lot of Pokemon that rely on Earthquake to beat Heatran, such as Zard X, Excadrill, Dragonite, etc., allowing you to check them really easily. It also gives you more offensive presence than that defensive Heatran set.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Flash Cannon

(Ancient Power is for Talonflame, Flash Cannon is for Clefable and Kyurem-B)

I also suggest you change your Latias to a bulkier spread of 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spe with Recover > Healing Wish. This allows you to take a Life Orb Knock Off from Naive Landorus after Stealth Rock, while still hitting a Life Orb number. Recover also allows Latias to restore its HP, since it gets worn down a lot, and allows you to handle threats much more reliably.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Make these changes and you should be good. Good luck with the team.

EDIT:
Jolly Nature over Adamant nature on Lan-therian, since majority of zard x are adamant jolly lan can still surpass him at +1 and scare him off.
I second this. Jolly Nature with 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe to beat Adamant Zard X. 232 speed allows you to beat Scarfed Excadrill, and I put 8 more speed in that, since 232 Speed is becoming standard so you can speed creep.

Thank you for your replies. After the Mawilite ban, I had no idea about how many EVs I needed for my Heatran. I actually used that Heatran as a filler, and an offensive one looks like it will do better. Thank you.
Mega Charizard X looks problematic, and I'd take that Lando-T suggestion by Amy Sorel and Alfalfa . I personally don't like using Superpower on Assault Vest Azumarill, but the move itself provides very good coverage, so I will try that out.
Although I don't really play much, when I do, I usually win with this team. Although I am in 1300s, my GXE is over 70. Again, thank you for replying, and this team will get better.
If I am not using Healing Wish on my Latias, would it be better to use a Latios?
I am confused about which Heatran set I should run. What would it outspeed if it runs 244 Spe Evs? The Offensive set that Alfalfa gave me looks good, but I have never used an offensive Heatran barring ScarfTran.
I though about using Magnezone over Heatran for the last slot, and does anyone have an idea about this?

Ok, first of all, I have no idea what the EVs they gave you mean. They're probably there for a reason, so I would just take it.

First off, Latias doesn't have much of an offensive presence. I don't think it belongs on this team so I suggest Latios for that slot. I'll include a set for him later.

I'd personally scarf the Heatran instead of Landorus. Landorus can do great without a scarf, but offensive Heatran just isn't as good. And with rocks support from Landorus, you're going to have a much better time dealing with Charizard. You may think rocks support with a Latios that has defog is redundant, but I've tried it before and i can definitely say it works.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Now I'm certainly not a Grade-A competitive battler, and you'll have to experiment around with these sets, and if you're not satisfied you can go back to what Alfalfa and Amy Sorel gave you. It's pretty trial-and-error. What may look good on paper may not actually work.

Ok, first of all, I have no idea what the EVs they gave you mean. They're probably there for a reason, so I would just take it.

First off, Latias doesn't have much of an offensive presence. I don't think it belongs on this team so I suggest Latios for that slot. I'll include a set for him later.

I'd personally scarf the Heatran instead of Landorus. Landorus can do great without a scarf, but offensive Heatran just isn't as good. And with rocks support from Landorus, you're going to have a much better time dealing with Charizard. You may think rocks support with a Latios that has defog is redundant, but I've tried it before and i can definitely say it works.

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Now I'm certainly not a Grade-A competitive battler, and you'll have to experiment around with these sets, and if you're not satisfied you can go back to what Alfalfa and Amy Sorel gave you. It's pretty trial-and-error. What may look good on paper may not actually work.
I considered using a Latios, and if I am not running Healing Wish on Latias, Latios would outclass it as an offensive defogger. The problem is, it doesn't have Healing wish nor Recovery so it can be worn down easily and trapped easily. That ScarfTran was what I was thinking, except a Magnezone might work as well. I think I should try my Landorus unscarfed, but I think a defensive spread looks better.
I will update the OP when I get to the conclusion.
That Heatran has Flash, and I think you made a mistake there.
Thank you for rating.

Last edited:

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Offensive non-Heatran is a viable set. I have used it several times, and it works.

Stealth Rock Landorus-T uses a spread of 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe Impish, not max attack max speed Jolly, so itcan actually reliably take hits.

Offensive non-Heatran is a viable set. I have used it several times, and it works.

Stealth Rock Landorus-T uses a spread of 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe Impish, not max attack max speed Jolly, so itcan actually reliably take hits.
You mean Non-scarf Offensive Heatran, right?
Anyways, I am not really sure about if Heatran fits the team. I just put it there since I needed something to kill Fairies/Steels and set up Rocks. If it couldn't, I could change the Landorus-T to a non-scarf SR set while scarfing the sixth mon to act as a revenge killer, although I might not need it since I have two priority users.
It doesn't have to be Heatran. It goes for all of my members, though. Last two mons were just popped out of my mind, so they are subject to change.

You mean Non-scarf Offensive Heatran, right?
Anyways, I am not really sure about if Heatran fits the team. I just put it there since I needed something to kill Fairies/Steels and set up Rocks. If it couldn't, I could change the Landorus-T to a non-scarf SR set while scarfing the sixth mon to act as a revenge killer, although I might not need it since I have two priority users.
It doesn't have to be Heatran. It goes for all of my members, though. Last two mons were just popped out of my mind, so they are subject to change.
Air Balloon Heatran allows you to reliably check Zard X, as it cannot hit Heatran with Earthquake until it pops it with Dragon Claw. Meanwhile, you can Earth Power away at Zard X.

Very minor change, but put 4 more evs into defense for mega scizor so you can live 2 close combats from jolly terrakion.It's a very minor investment, so I feel it's worth it. Overall it's a really scary team, so theres not too much to add that hasn't already been said above.

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Mega Scizor: 145-172 (42.2 - 50.1%)

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Mega Scizor: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%)

Thank you all for your contribution. I will definately make that EV changes suggested by PandaDuckHybrid since it does no harm to my Scizor anyways. I think the offensive non-scarfed Heatran that Alfalfa suggested will fit the team better than the original ScarfTran.
I just found out that I was using 56 EVs in HP while I wasn't using a Substitute for my Kyurem-B. I switched that to Attack EVs.
I am thinking of scarfing my Kyurem-B, and if that happens, I think I will use a Magnezone instead of Heatran with it. Then I will be unscarfing my Landorus-T with a defensive spread, with Stealth Rock on it. Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your contribution. I will definately make that EV changes suggested by PandaDuckHybrid since it does no harm to my Scizor anyways. I think the offensive non-scarfed Heatran that Alfalfa suggested will fit the team better than the original ScarfTran.
I just found out that I was using 56 EVs in HP while I wasn't using a Substitute for my Kyurem-B. I switched that to Attack EVs.
I am thinking of scarfing my Kyurem-B, and if that happens, I think I will use a Magnezone instead of Heatran with it. Then I will be unscarfing my Landorus-T with a defensive spread, with Stealth Rock on it. Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea?
Heatran is a much better check to Venusaur than Magnezone is, though Mag should help you a lot against Ferrothorn.

Do you still have Roost on Kyurem-B ? If you do don't scarf it. Scarfing a Heatran is much more viable and better imo. You can unscarf your Lando-T but that is just your own personal preference.

Do you still have Roost on Kyurem-B ? If you do don't scarf it. Scarfing a Heatran is much more viable and better imo. You can unscarf your Lando-T but that is just your own personal preference.
My team is exactly what is on the OP. If I scarf my Heatran I am going to unscarf my Landorus-T and change it to a defensive set. I need Stealth Rocks somewhere, while having a scarfer.

Ok, I know this is not a rate or anything (tbh anything I would change was already suggested by users above), but this is basically the exact same team as posted in this RMT here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/powerhouse-xy-ou.3510673/
I hate to be that guy, but the only thing thats different are the ev spreads and such :/
Oh my, the exactly same members..
Well, I didn't know that someone had the exact same idea, and I swear that I built this team myself. Thank you for letting me know anyways.
Edit: That team was posted even before I joined..

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/powerhouse-xy-ou.3510673/
So basically this team has:
  • Sub+3 attacks Kyurem-B instead of my 3 attacks LO+Roost Kyurem-B
  • more physically defensive EVs for Mega-Scizor
  • an AV Azumarill with a lot of SpD investment, instead of my HP investment
  • A bulky pivot set for Landorus-Therian instead of my scarfed Landorus-T
  • offensive Latias with Healing Wish, which I just had, except I ran Psyshock. Now I am running a defensive set.
  • a SpD Heatran with EVs that outspeeds Mega Mawile, instead of my offensive Heatran with Balloons that Alfalfa suggested.
I actually considered almost all of those when I was building this team, except for the EVs for Mega Scizor and Azumarill.
Seriously, I was very surprised.. Well, they are pretty common mons in OU and they make great synergy..
Anyways, how did you recall that team from July 1st? It's amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)