XY OU Powerhouse [XY OU]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Hello, I am a new user here to Smogon but have been around competitive for a couple years now. I played back through 5th gen. with BW and BW2 but stopped playing right around the time X and Y came out. I've lurked around Smogon for quite some time, looking to pick up ideas and information to help me get back into Pokémon and into 6th gen. This is my first 6th gen. team and is a Bulky Offensive team that started with a core of Kyurem-B and Mega-Scizor. Any and every bit of advice will be greatly appreciated! So without further ado:

Team Preview:

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers

Ability: Teravolt | Nature: Rash
EVs: 52 HP / 4 Atk / 216 SpA / 236 Spe
- Substitute - Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt - Earth Power

Kyurem-B is an absolute powerhouse, and thus comes the name for this RMT. Kyurem-B makes for an excellent wallbreaker with great attacking stats for a mixed set. Kyurem-B was also blessed with great bulk, making it an amazing user of Substitute. He is capable of taking out many walls such as Gliscor, Skarmory, Heatran, Mega-Venusaur, and Aggron for example, not to mention one of the most common Pokémon right now in Rotom-W. Kyurem-B is very versatile. I have seen success in using him both to clean up late game, or to punch holes in the opposing team early on for the other members of the team to clean up the rest.

Scizor @ Scizorite

Ability: Light Metal | Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 100 SpD
- Swords Dance - Bullet Punch
- Knock Off - Roost

Scizor was a partner in the beginning core of the team with Kyurem-B. I opted for a Swords Dance Scizor to have excellent sweeping ability after Kyurem-B has broken down Scizor's walls. Mega Scizor becomes a very bulky Pokémon, allowing it to find many opportunities to set up and making it fit well onto the team. I opted for the Light Metal ability as it reduces the damage taken if switching into Low Kick or Grass Knot, because on almost every occasion I will be immediately mega-evolving. I question this choice a little however, as situations may arise in which Scizor is able to get away with not immediately mega-evolving and thus can bluff a Banded set and possibly nab a chane to set up.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest

Ability: Pure Power | Nature: Adamant
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
- Play Rough - Aqua Jet
- Waterfall - Knock Off

Azumarill was added to the team mainly to provide assistance for an apparent weakness to Charizard. Azumarill is a very powerful offensive threat due to its ability in Pure Power, and the Assault Vest gives it surprising special bulk. Azumarill is able to also check Assault Vest Conkeldurr and Keldeo which could both be troublesome for the team. Azumarill fits very well into the team and makes a great tank and workable offensive pivot.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate | Ability: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Stealth Rock - Earthquake
- Stone Edge - U-turn

Landorus-T acts as a great offensive pivot for the team and with the help of its ability in Intimidate, Landorus-T becomes very good at taking physical hits. Landorus-T is able to set up Stealth Rocks for the team which can help to wear down the opponent over the course of the match and allow Kyurem-B and Scizor easier sweeps lafer on. U-turn works well on Landorus-T in conjunction with Kyurem-B and Azumarill specifically, being able to bring them in without taking prior damage. Finally Landorus-T is able to assist in combating Mega-Chariard X.

Latias @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate | Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor - Defog
- Healing Wish - Thunderbolt

Latias was added to the team out of a pure necessity to remove hazards from the field. With Kyurem-B having a weakness to them and the rest of the team constantly shuffling around and generally lacking recovery, Defog Latias was greatly needed. Latias can apply good offensive pressure to the opposing team which is obviously useful. On top of that, when Latias becomes weak she is able to sacrifice herself using Healing Wish and give a new chance at full health to a teammate who may have taken unsuspecting damage such. Additionally Latias has great defensive synergy with Scizor. Finally Latias provides useful Electric and Grass resistances for Azumarill.

Heatran @ Leftovers

Ability: Flash Fire | Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
- Lava Plume - Protect
- Earth Power - Toxic

Specially defensive Heatran is a very useful tank for the team. Heatran is very good at spreading both Poison to the opposing teams wall via Toxic and Burns around with Lava Plume. Heatran is also able to scout well using Protect, which has the secondary effect of allowing for more Leftovers recovery. Heatran can also do well against Aegislash lacking Sacred Sword. Heatran pairs well with Scizor, sponging fire attacks aimed at it as well as taking on opposing Heatran lacking Earth Power using its own Earth Power.

Hey man! Great team! But as always, there is room for improvement.

1. You do not have any Pokemon with SR. I find it to be a must to have these on your opponent's side of the field at ALL times. I would recommend giving Landorus-T SR for Knock-Off.

2. Mega Venusaur looks like it could potentially be a problem for your team. I would change T-bolt on Latias for Psyshock, giving you a counter for Megasaur.

Other than thoses minor nit-picks, your team is really solid!

Cheers,

Fr33dom

Thank you! I'll try Psyshock on Latias and see how it does. Also I must point out that Landorus-T indeed does have Stealth Rocks, not Knock Off.

Awesome team! I love using M-Scizor and Kyu-B with each other, they are so great. Just a small nitpick, the correct EV's for Kyu-B are 56 HP/252 SpA/200 Spe, not 52 HP/4 Atk/252 SpA/200 Spe. This is because 56 HP lets Kyu-B take less from SR. I usually run Mild over Rash to take hits from Rotom-W and M-Venu better, because those are the things you are checking. However, that's mainly preference. You have great type synergy and a solid team!

Thank you! I'll try Psyshock on Latias and see how it does. Also I must point out that Landorus-T indeed does have Stealth Rocks, not Knock Off.
Oops. I must have missed that. Sorry. Also, could you get me an Exportable version so that I can test it out on PS?

I have a question.
Why do you need heatran that doesn't run rocks?
I'm not asking why is it good to have, I'm asking what does it exactly does on this.
I suggest you remove Earth Power from tran and replace that with Stealth Rock.
I really feel like you should have a scarfed revenge killer,
So why not make Landorus-T your scarfer?
I say this because Landorus-T is easily weakened and if it gets below 50%
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 222-262 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
but i guess it's your choice.
Great Team anyway :D
~Kaz

Hey Allele, really cool team there.
Mega Scizor and Kyurem-B make for great partners in crime, both having great offensive stats and both having great move pools. Kyurem-B is fairly bulky and has a lot of HP, which you've made the most of with substitute. And M-Scizor boasts extremely high Defense and pretty decent Special Defense too.

If I had to make any criticisms (and I can't think of very many) I would say that M-Scizor needs U-turn. The reason why it is such a scary pokemon on paper is its ability to gain moment with just one move, allowing you to stay one step ahead of your opponent. When you are going for game near the end of the match, and you have started setting up, what if your opponent sends out a water type? Even at +2, a Bullet Punch from a M-Scizor with 44 attack investment won't do a substantial amount to most water types. Yeah, Knock Off would do a lot of damage but only once, and after that it won't do any where near enough to secure a 2HKO. And while Knocking off your opponents item is a very tempting choice, I do not think it would benefit your team as much as U-turn would. And U-turn and Mega Scizor would also work well in conjunction with Landorus-T, allowing them to U-turn between the 2 of them, neither taking much damage, and getting the advantage over your opponent. Rotom-W is a solid counter to your current set (once its item has been knocked off), and even if you switch, Rotom could just volt switch and keep momentum. But if Scizor has U-turn, you could U-turn out to Kyurem-B, maintaining the momentum for yourself and forcing the Rotom to switch or die to earth power.

As for Scizors ability, Technician would be a better choice there. You said it yourself, there might be a situation where you can't risk staying in so you switch out, faking the Band, thus tricking your opponent and buying a potential set up later on. And when the time comes for that potential set up, you need to go for an attack "to lock yourself into" and they will think they have a free turn. When you go for that attack to lock yourself into, they would never fall for the ruse if it's Light Metal, because the damage output wouldn't nearly be enough. And while the damage with Technician wouldn't be quite enough either, it's much more believable, and it is essential that your opponent believes it so that Scizor can set up for free, otherwise it's attacks won't be doing much at all with only 44 attack investment.

I also recommend changing Kyurem-B's spread to 88 Atk/ 184 Spa/ 236 spe. This is because with 4 atk evs, the min damage with Fusion Bolt to M-Zard Y is 68.8%.
4 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 282-332 (94.6 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Whereas with 88 atk evs it is a guaranteed KO.
88 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 298-352 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The drop in Spa doesn't make a difference, because even with 216 Spa ice beam only does 93.3% max to a Latias.
216+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 236-282 (78.1 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
In fact the only occasion where the drop in Spa makes much of a difference is with Latios, with 216 Spa investment there was a 50% chance to OHKO.
216+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 276-326 (91.3 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
Whereas with 184 Spa investment in only does 31.3%.
184+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 270-318 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO.

But other than that one situation, 88 Atk investment is more beneficial. (Of course you could always take evs from its speed instead, but low speed is one of the few flaws Kyurem-B has, so it needs all the speed it can get).

Your AV Azumarill works as a great offensive pivot, taking special attacks well, and dealing damage back hard.
Your Landorus-T is great as well, but I think you might want a little attack investment instead of going full defense. For instance, with 124 Atk invsetment it can OHKO M-Zard X with Earthquake, whereas with no investment there is a 50% chance to OHKO.

For Latias the set is fine, Psyshock is a potential replacement for thunderbolt but thunderbolt can be just as useful in different situations, so it just depends on what kind of pokemon give you more problems, bulky tanks like M-Venusaur or bulky flying types or water types.

And for Heatran, I sugggest running Roar over Earth Power, as you need some type of Phazing in your team so as to not be overwhelmed by common set up sweepers.

Lastly, should Latias go down and Azumarill gets weakened, M-Zard Y sweeps through your hole team with ease (assuming focus blast hits each time) so be prepared for that for when you face a team with M-Zard Y in it, because Latias is all you have for it (Fire blast on switch + Solar Beam is enough to take out AV Azumarill).

So yeah, your team is great and pretty powerful, so it was difficult for me to think of much.
I really love your team overall, balance teams are pretty powerful in the meta at the moment, and you did a great job on making one.
Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)