ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johto starters are already catchable in most balls thanks to Colosseum although, Dusk Ball Chikorita? Sign me up! I doubt Unova or Johto starters will be available since they don't really have much relation to ORAS, but I am hoping for the Hoenn starters. I do think GF will keep Friend Safaris in ORAS, they like to have features that encourage interaction between players (in this case, exchanging friend codes).
Nobody gives a fuck about pokeballs. Starters in the safari means hidden abilities.

Didn't the Professor give us Johto starters in Emerald after we complete the Hoenn Dex or something like that? Do you reckon they might do that again this time? (Johto starters need Megas to not be shit)
It's unlikely. In Pokemon Emerald, it was impossible to get the Johto starters, because Gens II and III were incompatible. Now that players have access to the Johto starters through HeartGold and SoulSilver, there is no real reason for Game Freak to include this feature in the game. It's far more likely that players will receive the Oval/Shiny charm as a reward for completing the Hoenn Pokedex.

Nobody gives a fuck about pokeballs.
Have you ever visited the Wi-Fi forum?

It's unlikely. In Pokemon Emerald, it was impossible to get the Johto starters, because Gens II and III were incompatible. Now that players have access to the Johto starters through HeartGold and SoulSilver, there is no real reason for Game Freak to include this feature in the game. It's far more likely that players will receive the Oval/Shiny charm as a reward for completing the Hoenn Pokedex.
However, players are also able to obtain the Kanto starters through the Gen V give-aways and HGSS yet Game Freak threw the Kanto starters at our faces in X and Y (probably to hype up Mega Kanto starters but ..)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The Kanto Starters were handed to us with their Mega Stone attached, and according to interviews Sakurai insisted on putting them in the games because he felt that their Mega Evolution designs were too cool not to use in the game (hence, as a pet theory of mine, Torchic was distributed as a launch giveaway instead of Charmander).
Dude what

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Do special Pokeballs still have their special effects?

Ooh, that reminds me! Them bringing back Pokemon Contests may mean they'll bring back the Capsules and Seals! And yes, I know those are from Gen IV, but that doesn't mean they can't have some of the innovations from Super Pokemon Contests be used (besides, as I recall, they had no effect on your score so they were completely cosmetic, thus can be easily implemented elsewhere).

haha yes

I'm talking about in the grand scheme of things. Not including the Johto starters based on pokeballs from a 10 year old game would be insane. Everyone is much more interesting in getting these pokes with their hidden abilities than they are in catching them in special balls.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Will we be able to find out the stats via the demo?
Of what? The Mega Evolution they're going to give away? I suppose if they let us battle with it, but it could be just a reward or even opponent. Though we won't be able to know what is IVs are (then again being this is a demo I suppose we could assume its set to max). Otherwise I don't think we'll be using any other Mega Evolution so the only Pokemon we'll be seeing are ones we already know.

Interestingly, I can't find any pictures showing the player character with the mega bangle in any of te pre-release screenshots, even the one that has Steven asking you what you'd like to transfer. How exactly we'll be mega evolving/seeing the mega evolution of whatever pokemon remains to be seen...

Of what? The Mega Evolution they're going to give away? I suppose if they let us battle with it, but it could be just a reward or even opponent. Though we won't be able to know what is IVs are (then again being this is a demo I suppose we could assume its set to max). Otherwise I don't think we'll be using any other Mega Evolution so the only Pokemon we'll be seeing are ones we already know.
Surely it'd be easy to just take a look at the stats when it's unevolved and use calculators to get at least a rough idea of what IVs they have.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of new friend safaris. I really hope that we'll be able to catch the hoenn starters in matching balls. One can hope right? That said I'm excited for the new Megas especially Mega Rayquaza.
Actually, I kind of fear we may lose the friend safaris. While an excellent mechanic for many of us, it's a terrible idea considering the young target audience, encouraging them to seek out friend codes of random people on the internet and leading to the sort of stupid shenanigans that got swap-note removed.

Stupid children ruining everything.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually, I kind of fear we may lose the friend safaris. While an excellent mechanic for many of us, it's a terrible idea considering the young target audience, encouraging them to seek out friend codes of random people on the internet and leading to the sort of stupid shenanigans that got swap-note removed.

Tried seeing if maybe the map gave us any clue about what kind of safari Zone we could expect, but sadly where the Hoenn Safari Zone is leads into an area covered by forest:

Maybe they could combine the Safari Zone and Friend Safari. Like it'll be like the normal Safari Zone with certain set Pokemon, but you can also "customize" it by choosing a friend (or maybe even a few friends) you've registered which causes additional Pokemon to appear. That way those who don't really have that many friends registered (or none at all) aren't locked out of the Safari Zone while those who do can get some extra Pokemon without needing to trade over (and maybe add in other mechanics like the Pokemon having their Hidden Abilities and a chance of encountering a Shiny. Heck, I'd even go further and maybe give them a special moves. They wouldn't need to do much, just look at the moves they gave to Pokemon in the Dream World).

I sort of doubt that the Friend Safaris will be removed because of that – Nintendo has encouraged wireless communication for a long time (like with the lotteries) and I don't think they care about what happens on websites not affiliated with Nintendo (which would be where most of the FC trading takes place). Super Secret Bases would be shared in pretty much the same way, and they're a confirmed ORAS feature.

The Friend Safaris, as best as I can tell, were one of the better-received features in XY, and I don't think they would scrap the concept entirely in ORAS. They might rework it a bit, though, tying it in with the original Friend Safari/Super Secret Bases.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

The problem wouldn't be the game itself in that senario, it would be the site's and the individual's problem to deal with. Swapnote was obviously abuseable from the get-go, and that was Nintendo's own fault for not thinking about the repercussions of such software (Swapping FC's isn't a new idea; we've been doing it since 2006).

What's the most dubious thing we can do with the actual games? Try to trade a Magikarp for a legendary? Voice chat can be turned off with one simple switch in the PSS options, so that's not an issue. I don't see friend safaris being removed over that, since people will still be swapping FCs on forums regardless if they exist or not.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm a little bit concerned about the recent announcement of Smash 4 Wii U having the same release day as OR/AS, with regards to online play. Poor infrastructure + two high profile Nintendo releases on the same day + proximity to a national holiday (Thanksgiving in the US) means hammered servers and a possible repeat of last year's holiday debacle. I'm under the impression that the 3DS and Wii U utilize the same servers.

I hope to be wrong, but I do not have any expectations of the Nintendo Network being operational on Nov. 21st or a few days afterwards. Enjoy your games, but plan on doing so offline.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm a little bit concerned about the recent announcement of Smash 4 Wii U having the same release day as OR/AS, with regards to online play. Poor infrastructure + two high profile Nintendo releases on the same day + proximity to a national holiday (Thanksgiving in the US) means hammered servers and a possible repeat of last year's holiday debacle. I'm under the impression that the 3DS and Wii U utilize the same servers.

I hope to be wrong, but I do not have any expectations of the Nintendo Network being operational on Nov. 21st or a few days afterwards. Enjoy your games, but plan on doing so offline.
Please understand.

And good thing I'll get my hands on OmegaRuby a couple days before release date, heh. Poor digital buyers.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I think Nintendo is actually foreseeing not many players utilizing online capabilities of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire for the first ~week or so, given that everyone would be starting on equal footing as far as catching, training, and breeding Pokemon goes. Players just starting out won't be doing much trading or online battling without time to actually make it so these things are viable to do. That said, players of Sm4sh on the Wii U will be gearing up almost immediately to play online, so there will be time for Sm4sh to settle when ORAS players are getting off the ground online.

Last night I came up with a (IMO) very solid guess for who the new Megas are for the demo games. I browsed through the discussion in this thread and did not see anyone who had come up with the same thought so I figured I would share it now. If it has already been said and I missed it my bad!

I am feeling very confident that the new demo Megas are Latias and Latios, for 2 main reasons. Firstly the advertisement for the demo says that if you play the game multiple times special things will happen. I think there are several choices you can make in game and those choices result in you getting different Mega stones. The second reason is that Mega Lati@s are the only unreleased Megas that are compatible with X and Y. If the new Mega is not Lati@s then its stone will not be recognized in game and we will have to wait till ORAS before we can transfer it. It explains things perfectly and I would be amazed if I am wrong.

Assuming that I am right then there is one other possible implication. There is a chance that the Demo might be the only way to get Lati@s's mega stone and its not available in ORAS. I say that as their previous signature item (soul dew) has been event only in the past, why not do the same with the Megas? And if Mega Lati@s is available in ORAS then it would make the demo insignificant and fewer people would want to get it. I suspect their plan is to create a buying frenzy so that everyone is desperate to get Mega Lati@s while they can (code numbers are limited, they have already ran out in most of Scandinavia). I hope I am wrong on the second theory, what do the rest of you guys think?

I think that's a very solid theory, UmbreonEternal, but I really hope we can also get the Soul Dew. There's really no reason to use Mega Lati@s when you can use a Soul Dew and have better damage, better Special Defense, and not take up a Mega Slot.

But Soul Dew is banned from everything but Smogon Ubers and might have been deemed overpowered, so Gen V might have been its final appearance.

Last night I came up with a (IMO) very solid guess for who the new Megas are for the demo games. I browsed through the discussion in this thread and did not see anyone who had come up with the same thought so I figured I would share it now. If it has already been said and I missed it my bad!

I am feeling very confident that the new demo Megas are Latias and Latios, for 2 main reasons. Firstly the advertisement for the demo says that if you play the game multiple times special things will happen. I think there are several choices you can make in game and those choices result in you getting different Mega stones. The second reason is that Mega Lati@s are the only unreleased Megas that are compatible with X and Y. If the new Mega is not Lati@s then its stone will not be recognized in game and we will have to wait till ORAS before we can transfer it. It explains things perfectly and I would be amazed if I am wrong.

Assuming that I am right then there is one other possible implication. There is a chance that the Demo might be the only way to get Lati@s's mega stone and its not available in ORAS. I say that as their previous signature item (soul dew) has been event only in the past, why not do the same with the Megas? And if Mega Lati@s is available in ORAS then it would make the demo insignificant and fewer people would want to get it. I suspect their plan is to create a buying frenzy so that everyone is desperate to get Mega Lati@s while they can (code numbers are limited, they have already ran out in most of Scandinavia). I hope I am wrong on the second theory, what do the rest of you guys think?
But the stuff is to be transferred to OR/AS once the player gets their copy of the actual game via Pokemon Link. X/Y have little meaning to the demo, so the new never before seen Mega(s) might not be Lati@s but something else entirely. But I wouldn't put it against them to put the stones in the demo only if indeed they're the special ones, and so far American players won't be able to get them for themselves.

As aforementioned, the demo will only be interacting with ORAS, not XY.
Well they could have both the demo be valuable and be able to distribute the mega lati stones rather easly. Seeing as the latis are in-game it's most likely we'll see their mega stones with them or on southern island. Then the demo mega, which I believe will be an event pokemon like Jirachi to make it actually valuable as not only would the stone be unobainable but the pokemon itself will also be a rare one, will be distributed exclusively in the demo.
and so far American players won't be able to get them for themselves.
Americans will definitely be able to, they're confirmed to get the demo from the official site, they just haven't announced how or when but they'll definitely get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)