ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but where can we speculate about them? It's general discussion, so why do we have unwritten rules about what we're allowed to actually discuss?
>__>
They aren't unwritten, the rules are on the first post of the thread

I get that they like giving each region specific niche things that give it it's own signature feel and character (other than the new/native Pokemon), but I was so glad in DPPt when they combined the Mach and Acro Bikes into one bike with two gears. I actually hacked my old Ruby version to have both bikes in my bag so I wouldn't have to hit up the bike shop every time I wanted to explore somewhere that had slopes/railing.

A part of me sincerely hopes that Rydel will just give you both bikes to start...

Yeah it's based on Alpha Sapphire.

Didn't even see that! Hopefully people stop going on about Pokemon Z now.
Can someone explain this to me please? Not questioning lack of Pokemon Z - what's the significance of 28/29?

Also on Soaring: do we know if it's only the in-game Lati that can carry us, or any Lati? Just read through the official Pokemon page and it doesn't have any info aside from the hilarious images of Shiftry and Swampert fighting flying types in the air.

Can someone explain this to me please? Not questioning lack of Pokemon Z - what's the significance of 28/29?

Also on Soaring: do we know if it's only the in-game Lati that can carry us, or any Lati? Just read through the official Pokemon page and it doesn't have any info aside from the hilarious images of Shiftry and Swampert fighting flying types in the air.
I believe it means that within the games that will use the Pentagon icon in a Pokemon's summary, only two more games are capable of using it. This means X and Y could (and probably will) have sequels.

I believe it means that within the games that will use the Pentagon icon in a Pokemon's summary, only two more games are capable of using it. This means X and Y could (and probably will) have sequels.
Why is it that only game origin values in the 20s can display pentagons? Sorry if I'm missing the point entirely, and thanks for the quick response!

Why is it that only game origin values in the 20s can display pentagons? Sorry if I'm missing the point entirely, and thanks for the quick response!
To simplify, 28/29/30 are values that are effected by the way the programming works. Once the origin value of a Pokemon game hits 30, the recognition of a 3 in the tens' space means that Pokemon in the game with that number won't have the little pentagon on their status screen(the full explanation is hidden somewhere in the coding of X/Y + ORAS).

Which means they(code 30 and onward) won't be compatible with XY in any manner. it takes a while to spell it all out in layman's terms

Last edited:
With the map data (or location data or whatever) what do we know about some old location that don't quite fit in the game anymore?

The main ones I'm suggesting are the game corner in Mauville and Trainer Hill to the north of that (well, in Emerald anyway). Somebody else confirmed the Trick House is returning (yay!) at least.

I doubt trainer hill will return, but it seems like a good spot to put that battle tester thing that's appeared in the last two gens (not the Maison or Subway or World Tournament, but the other one in Lumiose where they rate your performace). I really don't know what will happen to the game corner, although it would be nice if Voltorb Flip made a comeback.

With the map data (or location data or whatever) what do we know about some old location that don't quite fit in the game anymore?

The main ones I'm suggesting are the game corner in Mauville and Trainer Hill to the north of that (well, in Emerald anyway). Somebody else confirmed the Trick House is returning (yay!) at least.

I doubt trainer hill will return, but it seems like a good spot to put that battle tester thing that's appeared in the last two gens (not the Maison or Subway or World Tournament, but the other one in Lumiose where they rate your performance). I really don't know what will happen to the game corner, although it would be nice if Voltorb Flip made a comeback.
Not a lot of data on maps so far besides wild pokemon lists.

I think this so called "Battle Resort" will be the hub for all things Competitive like.

I always figured that people use "Z" as short hand so they dont have to say every permutation of possible next games
This, and...

Didn't even see that! Hopefully people stop going on about Pokemon Z now.
Why would they? This doesn't prove anything. Delta Emerald is a registered trademark, and I know, I know, before people bring up Water Blue and Grey, yes, I do know about them, but I also know that until Gen VI is over, DE is still an option for GF.

Look, Yellow was a ploy designed to mimic the anime, and could not have been remade and still be relevant; therefore, WB would have likely just ended up being a clone of FRLG, which would have been a waste. Crystal was a basic rewrite of the Gold and Silver plot, whose crowning difference was the use of Suicune as the cover legend, and very little major differences elsewhere. Emerald, on the other hand, wasn't a ploy, and it wasn't a minor rewrite. It was a fusion of its predecessors, and it received a full plot upgrade on top of that. This is an upgrade that ORAS, by all indications, seems to be ignoring. Therefore, it is a plot that will go unused, and that leaves room for GF to actually use it later on, if they so choose.

My point is, just because there are apparently two main series games left for Gen VI, does not mean that they have to be XY2. They could just as easily be ZDE, and to be quite frank, if we don't get an epic cutscene of a 3D Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon going at it and decimating Sootopolis, then I, for one, am most certainly going to be praying for Delta Emerald's production over XY2's. Double that if the Battle Frontier, or some equivalent, is not put into play.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, well since we have the trainer teams let's look over the main battles. It's running late so for now I'll do the Gym Leaders.

Geodude (Lv. 12) (Moves: Tackle/Defense Curl/Rock Tomb/-----)
Nosepass (Lv. 14) (Moves: Tackle/Harden/Rock Tomb/-----)
Changes:
1. Geodude lost 2 levels & lost Rock Throw.
2. Nosepass lost 1 level & lost Rock Throw.
Opinion:
Not going to talk too much about level changes as I'll assume they're adjusting it accordingly to how the player will level. It was a bit pointless for having both Rock Tomb and Rock Throw, and Rock Tomb is the strongest of the two. Though sad to see they didn't replace it with another move, maybe some type coverage. Just seeing a Gym Leader who's Pokemon only knows 3 Moves is just sad. Anyway if you have Treecko or Mudkip you'll have no problem, as for those who picked Torchic, remember next to the Gym there will be someone who will give you a Pokemon that'll have type advantage over Roxanne. Makuhita for a Slakoth (R/S, thus the most likely one) or a Seedot for a Ralts (Emerald).

Machop (Lv. 14) (Moves: Leer/Karate Chop/Seismic Toss/Bulk Up)
Makuhita (Lv. 16) (Moves: Arm Thrust/Knock Off/Sand Attack/Bulk Up)
Changes:
1. Machop lost 3 levels.
2. Makuhita lost 1 level.
Opinion:
Not any major change beside level increase. By now you should have a Flying-type in Taillow and/or a Psychic-type in Ralts (though watch out for Makuhita's Knock Off). Even with a level decrease I highly suggest trying to take out as soon as possible, they could start causing some troubles if they get a Bulk Up (and Makuhita still has Sand Attack for accuracy loss hax).
Personally I would have given them at least Power-Up Punch, but I'm sadistic like that.

Magnemite (Lv. 19) (Moves: Thunder Wave/Tackle/Volt Switch/-----)
Voltorb (Lv. 19) (Moves: Rollout/Charge/Volt Switch/-----)
Magneton (Lv. 21) (Moves: Supersonic/Magnet Bomb/Volt Switch/-----)
Changes:
1. Magnemite is his first Pokemon out.
2. Magnemite lost 3 levels; lost Thundershock, Supersonic, and Sonic Boom; & gained Volt Switch.
3. Voltorb lost 1 level; lost Spark, Sonic Boom, and Selfdestruct; & gained Volt Switch.
4. Magneton lost 2 levels; lost Shock Wave, Thunder Wave, and Sonic Boom; & gained Magnet Bomb and Volt Switch.
Opinion:
First major change here. So looks like Wattson traded in a Parafusion (Paralyze & Confusion strategy) for the Elesa strategy of Volt Switching until the Mareep come home. Also his Pokemon only has 3 moves *sigh*. If you got a Ground-type it'll be a major help here (otherwise prepare for him to be constantly Volt Switching) but they do have other moves so don't think you'll be safe. However all of his Pokemon's alternate attacking moves are Physical and they're all Special Attackers so they won't be hitting your Ground-type that hard. But do be weary of Magneton as it still knows Supersonic so it can confuse you.
Kind of wished they did give them an alternate Special move. All of them can learn Round, and the Magnemite line can learn Mirror Shot. However I do approve giving them Volt Switch even if it is annoying. Don't know how I feel about getting rid of his Parafusion strategy, I'd maybe let his Pokemon keep Thunder Wave since Electric-types an Paralysis go together like Gliscor and Flying Gem.

Slugma (Lv. 26) (Moves: Overheat/Rock Throw/Light Screen/Sunny Day)
Numel (Lv. 26) (Moves: Earth Power/Lava Plume/Amnesia/Sunny Day)
Torkoal (Lv. 28) (Moves: Overheat/Body Slam/Curse/Sunny Day)
Changes:
1. Replaced one of her Slugma with a Numel (NOTE: She did have a Numel in Emerald).
2. This Slugma is sort of a combination of her two previous Slugma, so it's pretty much a new Slugma. It's closest to her first Slugma, but instead of having Smog it has Rock Throw (which is similar to her second Slugma which knew Rock Slide, but instead of Overheat it had Flamethrower).
3. Numel is too different from her Emerald Numel to compare.
4. Torkoal lost Flail and Attract & gained Curse and Sunny Day.
Opinion:
Oh, they actually changed one of her Pokemon! Obviously Water-types most helpful here, followed by a Ground-type and then Rock-type (just watch out for Numel's Earth Power). She'll probably spend a lot of time setting up Sunny Day and keeping it up. All of them are a pretty big threat, Torkoal could be a big problem if you're using a Physical attacker and it gets off a Curse or two (but thankfully it lost Attract). Overall looks like she'll be a pretty nice challenge.
No big complaint here, I'd maybe have given Torkoal a Physical Fire-type move like Flame Wheel to take full advantage of Curse, but if you don't knock it out first hit it could cause a lot of pain.

Slaking (Lv. 28) (Moves: Encore/Retaliate/Yawn/Feint Attack)
Vigoroth (Lv. 28) (Moves: Fury Swipes/Feint Attack/Retaliate/Encore)
Slaking (Lv. 30) (Moves: Chip Away/Swagger/Retaliate/Feint Attack)
Changes:
1. Slaking #1 lost Facade & gained Retaliate
2. Vigoroth lost 2 levels; lost Slash and Facade; & gained Fury Swipes and Retaliate.
3. Slaking #2 lost 1 level; lost Focus Punch, Slack Off, and Facade; & gained Chip Away, Swagger, and Retaliate.
Opinion:
Well the good news is you don't have to worry about inflicting his Pokemon with Status ailments. The bad news is that you now can't knock out any of his Pokemon. Just like Wattson who took advice from Elesa, Norman took advice from Lenora and all his Pokemon now know Retaliate so expect that to be used on the first turn (may want to send out some fodder Pokemon to take the hit). Her second Slaking lost Slac Off so no healing for it but gets Swagger so will be confusing you (but increases your Attack, this may be the job for a Persim Berry). Anyway, he looks just as difficult as before, but maybe being able to Mega Evolve can help turn the tables to your favor.
Hmm, maybe instead of Fury Swipes I would have given Vigoroth something like Brick Break, Shadow Claw, or maybe even Aerial Ace.

Swellow (Lv. 33) (Moves: Quick Attack/Aerial Ace/Double Team/Endeavor)
Pelipper (Lv. 33) (Moves: Water Pulse/Roost/Protect/Aerial Ace)
Skarmory (Lv. 33) (Moves: Sand Attack/Air Cutter/Steel Wing/Aerial Ace)
Altaria (Lv. 35) (Moves: Earthquake/Dragon Breath/Cotton Guard/Roost)
Changes:
1. Swellow gained 2 levels.
2. Pelipper gained 3 levels; lost Water Gun and Super Sonic; & gained Water Pulse and Roost.
3. Skarmory gained 1 level; lost Fury Attack; & gained Air Cutter.
4. Altaria gained 2 levels; lost Dragon Dance and Aerial Ace; & gained Cotton Guard and Roost.
Opinion:
Wait, GAINED levels?! They made her tougher! That's a surprise. And boy, her Pokemon look just as annoying as ever. Pelipper traded in annoyingly confusing you to annoyingly healing itself. Meanwhile Altaria is probably going to focus on increasing it Defense (bring a Special Attacker) and healing too. At least it doesn't have Dragon Dance anymore. Use Electric- and Ice-types if you got them, though even then it may be a long battle. Mega Evolving probably a big help too.
The oddest thing here is that they gave Skarmory Air Cutter even though it has a pitiful Special Attack. I'd maybe give it Rock Slide or X-Scissor; or how about it also getting Roost just to make her that more annoying.

Lunatone (Lv. 45) (Moves: Light Screen/Psychic/Hypnosis/Calm Mind)
Solrock (Lv. 45) (Moves: Sunny Day/Rock Slide/Psychic/Solar Beam)
Changes:
1. Lunatone gained 3 levels.
2. Solrock gained 3 levels; lost Flamethrower; & gained Rock Slide.
Opinion:
Not much change here, which is a bit sad. Lunatone will probably spend its time keeping Light Screen up and using Hypnosis (and Calm Mind whenever it can so it could prepare using Psychic) while Solrock will put up sun and go on the attack (probably using Rock Slide since it can hit both opponents). Of course if you use a Grass-, Dark- (which I highly suggest), and Ghost-type you may be in a pretty good position. There are a few strategies you can do, I suggest focus on taking out one and if that doesn't work focus on taking out the other first next battle. BTW Lunatone can't really do anything to a Dark-type and Solrock won't be doing much to a Grass-type.
There are plenty of improvements that can be done here. For Lunatone I'd toss Light Screen and give it another Special attack like Ice Beam or Shadow Ball. For Solrock, only keep Rock Slide and give it Earthquake, Facade, and Acrobatics (Solrock REALLY needs more Physical moves). If its going to be the attacking one then have it dedicate to it.

Luvdisc (Lv. 44) (Ability: Swift Swim) (Moves: Water Pulse/Attract/Sweet Kiss/Draining Kiss)
Whiscash (Lv. 44) (Ability: Oblivious) (Moves: Mud Sport/Waterfall/Zen Headbutt/Earthquake)
Sealeo (Lv. 44) (Ability: Thick Fat) (Moves: Encore/Body Slam/Aurora Beam/Waterfall)
Seaking (Lv. 44) (Ability: Swift Swim) (Moves: Aqua Ring/Rain Dance/Waterfall/Horn Drill)
Milotic (Lv. 46) (Ability: Marvel Scale) (Moves: Hydro Pump/Disarming Voice/Recover/Ice Beam)
Changes:
1. Luvdisc gained 4 levels; lost Flail; & gained Draining Kiss.
2. Whiscash gained 2 levels; lost Amnesia, Rain Dance, and Water Pulse; & gained Mud Sport, Waterfall, and Zen Headbutt.
3. Sealeo gained 4 levels; lost Water Pulse; & gained Waterfall.
4. Seaking gained 2 levels; lost Fury Attack and Water Pulse; & gained Aqua Ring and Waterfall.
5. Milotic gained 3 levels; lost Twister and Water Pulse; & gained Hydro Pump and Disarming Voice.
Opinion:
With the Physical/Special switch, they made the according move switches (oddly a lot of his Pokemon are Physical). Haha, Luvdisc. Whiscash will probably get Mud Sport to hinder Electric-types, but you'll want a Grass-type for it anyway. Sealeo you'll want an Electric- or Fighting-type. Seaking's job is getting Rain Dance up, which means it'll be attacking first so try to knock it out first turn to prevent that. Also be higher level so there's no 1HKO hax. Finally Milotic, yeah, this will still be a pain, especially now that it gets Hydro Pump. Just try hitting it physically and good luck.

~Dedicated to Belle~

So, to start, most of the info we know about pentagons was first explained (to our simple minds here in OI) by Mario With Lasers in the first ORAS thread:

The "Kalos pentagon" is set to appear in two other sets of games, right after XY in the coding. ORAS will probably also have the pentagon, even though it is, in a sense, Kalos's symbol.
Every pokémon has its game of birth registered as a hex number, from 0 to 255. There's Ruby, Sapphire, Colosseum, Fire Red and so on, one number for each game already released.

PokéBank's first hack check (back when only Japan had it) was as good as your grand-grandmother's eyesight. So, people used it to send Kalos-born pokémon to XY. How did they do that? They simply... gave them numbers higher than the last ones used (which I think was used for BW2). IIRC, it was "0x10" for X and "0x1A" for Y. People then realized the Kalos pentagon meant nothing and was mere redundancy; it only means the pokémon is from XY (or hacked, so welp).

Weirdly enough, however, is that four other numbers after 1A also gave the pentagon. After them, there were no more pentagons, so people speculated they would be for the next remakes, possibly Hoenn, and for the third games, possibly ZX/ZY.

And. Well. You know. Hoenn confirmed.
This is all saying that each main-series game is programmed with an identification number attached to it. This way, the Pokemon from that game have a stamp in their individual coding that translates out into a few things. You might recognize this stamp most easily from the blurb on your Pokemon's stat screen that says "Obtained in location/region X at level Y".

The origin codes are probably something like:
01 red
02 green
03 blue
04 -left unused, 4 is an unlocky number in Japan
05 yellow
06 gold
07 silver
08 crystal
09 -unused for the advanced generation
10 ruby
11 sapphire
12 firered
13 leafgreen
14 emerald
15 diamond
16 pearl
17 platinum
18 heartgold
19 soulsilver
20 black
21 white
22 black2
23 white2
24 x (games from this code up are programmed to have pentagons so we know they're approved for gen6 VGC)
25 y
26 alphasapphire
27 omegaruby
28 ???
29 ???

Keep in mind, these are probably innacurate, it's just a supposition for my next point. English Red version and english Crystal may have been codes 4 and 9 respectively, since they had some differences from the japanese releases of those games and may have required enough editing to merit a unique code.

Because they're hexcodes, they can continue up to 255.

Supposedly, Ruby and Sapphire's origin code, among a couple of other things, were created without the intention of being backwards-compatible. By going from single digits to a double-digit number(not that it was the only thing unique about gen3's coding), RS was effectively the game's first purge of hacked pokemon from being used in competition.
So, for the next 19/20 placeholder hexnumbers, the programming that identified a Pokemon by its game of origin had continued to evolve up to its current state. by the 15/16th codes, they did a soft reset in the hopes of purging a second time by putting qualifiers on certain Pokemon for use of organized play, while still allowing players to transfer Pokemon over (basically this reset is why there is no Pokemon migration derivitive directly in XY. That's the reason you need Poke Transporter, to write over your old Pokemon without stamping a pentagon on their stat screen) Presently, ORAS identifies 18 origin codes, 4 of which ID Pokemon generated in those games. Theoretically, following what the code is telling us, when you consider code, the 20th game from the advanced generation onward will flip something that regulates what the origin code does for a Pokemon, and provide them with something other than a pentagon. Technically, creating gamecode 30 to tie in with that (the 20th game to identify Pokemon from RSE) may involve skipping 29, which seems like a possibility since GF has crammed every species into two installments and they may only do Z instead of XY2.

However, I'm in favor of finding any creative spin they can to maximize use of codes 28 and 29.

The way it really works is a bit more detailed than this, but thanks to XY's security checks, we can expect at least one thing out of gen7.

Last edited:
Considering how they've left some numbers unused before, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they may just be reserving those two game numbers in case they decided to make 2 versions. I don't know exactly how far into the development period GF decided that they should make B2W2 instead of Gray, but IIRC they didn't release B1W1 with the intention to have 2 sequels, and that making the sequels was a decision made after the first pair's release. If they haven't figured out what to do with Kalos just quite yet, they may have just reserved the game numbers to keep the opportunity of making 2 sequels open, so it may not be as solid of a piece of confirmational evidence as one may think.

It was just confirmed that you change Hoopa's form through...an ITEM

~dun dun duuuuuun~

I'm a little bugged by that, but hopefully they have an exciting post-game plot for obtaining it. Event legends that require some journeying makes it all the more fun. (hi Darkrai, hi Shaymin, hi Victini)

Considering how they've left some numbers unused before, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they may just be reserving those two game numbers in case they decided to make 2 versions. I don't know exactly how far into the development period GF decided that they should make B2W2 instead of Gray, but IIRC they didn't release B1W1 with the intention to have 2 sequels, and that making the sequels was a decision made after the first pair's release. If they haven't figured out what to do with Kalos just quite yet, they may have just reserved the game numbers to keep the opportunity of making 2 sequels open, so it may not be as solid of a piece of confirmational evidence as one may think.
I think it had to be pretty early, just by the way the games were designed to have a fair amount of difference.

Hmm, well since we have the trainer teams let's look over the main battles. It's running late so for now I'll do the Gym Leaders.

Changes:
1. Geodude lost 2 levels & lost Rock Throw.
2. Nosepass lost 1 level & lost Rock Throw.
Opinion:
Not going to talk too much about level changes as I'll assume they're adjusting it accordingly to how the player will level. It was a bit pointless for having both Rock Tomb and Rock Throw, and Rock Tomb is the strongest of the two. Though sad to see they didn't replace it with another move, maybe some type coverage. Just seeing a Gym Leader who's Pokemon only knows 3 Moves is just sad. Anyway if you have Treecko or Mudkip you'll have no problem, as for those who picked Torchic, remember next to the Gym there will be someone who will give you a Pokemon that'll have type advantage over Roxanne. Makuhita for a Slakoth (R/S, thus the most likely one) or a Seedot for a Ralts (Emerald).

Changes:
1. Machop lost 3 levels.
2. Makuhita lost 1 level.
Opinion:
Not any major change beside level increase. By now you should have a Flying-type in Taillow and/or a Psychic-type in Ralts (though watch out for Makuhita's Knock Off). Even with a level decrease I highly suggest trying to take out as soon as possible, they could start causing some troubles if they get a Bulk Up (and Makuhita still has Sand Attack for accuracy loss hax).
Personally I would have given them at least Power-Up Punch, but I'm sadistic like that.

Changes:
1. Magnemite is his first Pokemon out.
2. Magnemite lost 3 levels; lost Thundershock, Supersonic, and Sonic Boom; & gained Volt Switch.
3. Voltorb lost 1 level; lost Spark, Sonic Boom, and Selfdestruct; & gained Volt Switch.
4. Magneton lost 2 levels; lost Shock Wave, Thunder Wave, and Sonic Boom; & gained Magnet Bomb and Volt Switch.
Opinion:
First major change here. So looks like Wattson traded in a Parafusion (Paralyze & Confusion strategy) for the Elesa strategy of Volt Switching until the Mareep come home. Also his Pokemon only has 3 moves *sigh*. If you got a Ground-type it'll be a major help here (otherwise prepare for him to be constantly Volt Switching) but they do have other moves so don't think you'll be safe. However all of his Pokemon's alternate attacking moves are Physical and they're all Special Attackers so they won't be hitting your Ground-type that hard. But do be weary of Magneton as it still knows Supersonic so it can confuse you.
Kind of wished they did give them an alternate Special move. All of them can learn Round, and the Magnemite line can learn Mirror Shot. However I do approve giving them Volt Switch even if it is annoying. Don't know how I feel about getting rid of his Parafusion strategy, I'd maybe let his Pokemon keep Thunder Wave since Electric-types an Paralysis go together like Gliscor and Flying Gem.

Changes:
1. Replaced one of her Slugma with a Numel (NOTE: She did have a Numel in Emerald).
2. This Slugma is sort of a combination of her two previous Slugma, so it's pretty much a new Slugma. It's closest to her first Slugma, but instead of having Smog it has Rock Throw (which is similar to her second Slugma which knew Rock Slide, but instead of Overheat it had Flamethrower).
3. Numel is too different from her Emerald Numel to compare.
4. Torkoal lost Flail and Attract & gained Curse and Sunny Day.
Opinion:
Oh, they actually changed one of her Pokemon! Obviously Water-types most helpful here, followed by a Ground-type and then Rock-type (just watch out for Numel's Earth Power). She'll probably spend a lot of time setting up Sunny Day and keeping it up. All of them are a pretty big threat, Torkoal could be a big problem if you're using a Physical attacker and it gets off a Curse or two (but thankfully it lost Attract). Overall looks like she'll be a pretty nice challenge.
No big complaint here, I'd maybe have given Torkoal a Physical Fire-type move like Flame Wheel to take full advantage of Curse, but if you don't knock it out first hit it could cause a lot of pain.

Changes:
1. Slaking #1 lost Facade & gained Retaliate
2. Vigoroth lost 2 levels; lost Slash and Facade; & gained Fury Swipes and Retaliate.
3. Slaking #2 lost 1 level; lost Focus Punch, Slack Off, and Facade; & gained Chip Away, Swagger, and Retaliate.
Opinion:
Well the good news is you don't have to worry about inflicting his Pokemon with Status ailments. The bad news is that you now can't knock out any of his Pokemon. Just like Wattson who took advice from Elesa, Norman took advice from Lenora and all his Pokemon now know Retaliate so expect that to be used on the first turn (may want to send out some fodder Pokemon to take the hit). Her second Slaking lost Slac Off so no healing for it but gets Swagger so will be confusing you (but increases your Attack, this may be the job for a Persim Berry). Anyway, he looks just as difficult as before, but maybe being able to Mega Evolve can help turn the tables to your favor.
Hmm, maybe instead of Fury Swipes I would have given Vigoroth something like Brick Break, Shadow Claw, or maybe even Aerial Ace.

Changes:
1. Swellow gained 2 levels.
2. Pelipper gained 3 levels; lost Water Gun and Super Sonic; & gained Water Pulse and Roost.
3. Skarmory gained 1 level; lost Fury Attack; & gained Air Cutter.
4. Altaria gained 2 levels; lost Dragon Dance and Aerial Ace; & gained Cotton Guard and Roost.
Opinion:
Wait, GAINED levels?! They made her tougher! That's a surprise. And boy, her Pokemon look just as annoying as ever. Pelipper traded in annoyingly confusing you to annoyingly healing itself. Meanwhile Altaria is probably going to focus on increasing it Defense (bring a Special Attacker) and healing too. At least it doesn't have Dragon Dance anymore. Use Electric- and Ice-types if you got them, though even then it may be a long battle. Mega Evolving probably a big help too.
The oddest thing here is that they gave Skarmory Air Cutter even though it has a pitiful Special Attack. I'd maybe give it Rock Slide or X-Scissor; or how about it also getting Roost just to make her that more annoying.

Changes:
1. Lunatone gained 3 levels.
2. Solrock gained 3 levels; lost Flamethrower; & gained Rock Slide.
Opinion:
Not much change here, which is a bit sad. Lunatone will probably spend its time keeping Light Screen up and using Hypnosis (and Calm Mind whenever it can so it could prepare using Psychic) while Solrock will put up sun and go on the attack (probably using Rock Slide since it can hit both opponents). Of course if you use a Grass-, Dark- (which I highly suggest), and Ghost-type you may be in a pretty good position. There are a few strategies you can do, I suggest focus on taking out one and if that doesn't work focus on taking out the other first next battle. BTW Lunatone can't really do anything to a Dark-type and Solrock won't be doing much to a Grass-type.
There are plenty of improvements that can be done here. For Lunatone I'd toss Light Screen and give it another Special attack like Ice Beam or Shadow Ball. For Solrock, only keep Rock Slide and give it Earthquake, Facade, and Acrobatics (Solrock REALLY needs more Physical moves). If its going to be the attacking one then have it dedicate to it.

Changes:
1. Luvdisc gained 4 levels; lost Flail; & gained Draining Kiss.
2. Whiscash gained 2 levels; lost Amnesia, Rain Dance, and Water Pulse; & gained Mud Sport, Waterfall, and Zen Headbutt.
3. Sealeo gained 4 levels; lost Water Pulse; & gained Waterfall.
4. Seaking gained 2 levels; lost Fury Attack and Water Pulse; & gained Aqua Ring and Waterfall.
5. Milotic gained 3 levels; lost Twister and Water Pulse; & gained Hydro Pump and Disarming Voice.
Opinion:
With the Physical/Special switch, they made the according move switches (oddly a lot of his Pokemon are Physical). Haha, Luvdisc. Whiscash will probably get Mud Sport to hinder Electric-types, but you'll want a Grass-type for it anyway. Sealeo you'll want an Electric- or Fighting-type. Seaking's job is getting Rain Dance up, which means it'll be attacking first so try to knock it out first turn to prevent that. Also be higher level so there's no 1HKO hax. Finally Milotic, yeah, this will still be a pain, especially now that it gets Hydro Pump. Just try hitting it physically and good luck.
I really like this summary. I'm glad they made the second half of Gym Leaders slightly harder!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It was just confirmed that you change Hoopa's form through...an ITEM

~dun dun duuuuuun~

I'm a little bugged by that, but hopefully they have an exciting post-game plot for obtaining it. Event legends that require some journeying makes it all the more fun. (hi Darkrai, hi Shaymin, hi Victini)
Well that's hardly something new, Giratina needs to hold its Orb in order to change forms. Though with that said, if they're going to do that why not just make it a Mega Evolution? It's only 20 points off.

So it seems that you can have both Primals on the same team and still use a Mega Evolution as well. Well dang.
That... can't be right. Surely that'll be fixed in the actual game, otherwise they'll wildly unbalance things.

That... can't be right. Surely that'll be fixed in the actual game, otherwise they'll wildly unbalance things.
Since Kyogre and Groudon are Ubers, the tier is already hugely unbalanced, that's why its Ubers. As it is, Kyogre already dominates the metagame. Primal Kyogre and Groudon are pretty slow for Ubers so we won't know until it actually happens (normal Kyogre can at least hold a Scarf). Who knows, they might even buff some normal 'mons or moves or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)