Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant that we don't know if the tutors are finalized because it's still exactly the same as B2/W2 tutors plus Focus Punch, Water Pulse, and Shock Wave. There's also existence of Dark Pulse and Sleep Talk, which shouldn't be tutor moves since they're already TMs. It's also good to note that Blastoise doesn't even learn Dark Pulse so it's obvious that that they haven't finished compatibility at the least. This is not the forum to discuss this, but there's very little demo data that we can be too sure about being the same in the final game.
If Sleep Talk and Dark Pulse are tutors now that's great because it hints at TM changes. Perhaps Defog or Slack Off TMs? We can dream can't we.

So I've been thinking and I think think this will definitely be Mega Glalie's best set:

Mixed Nuke
########
name: Mixed Nuke
move 1: Double Edge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dark Pulse/ HP Fire
move 4: Explosion/ HP Fire
item: Glalite or Glalinite however it'll be spelled
ability: Justified
nature: Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 84 SpA / 168 Spe

literally the only pokemon that counter Mega Glalie when it's only using its Ice STAB and Earthquake are Slowbro/MSlowbro, and Scizor/MScizor. Keldeo and Greninja can take a Double Edge and then outspeed and OHKO, but they can only switch in once and none at all if it's an Explosion. The power from Naughty and Double Edge is necessary to 2HKO the ubiquitous azu and 84 SpA EVs are to ensure Dark Pulse will 2HKO Slowbro/MSlowbro after SR damage. HP Fire is for Scizor's formes and Explosion is for obvious reasons, although explosion isn't necessary and you could use both Dark Pulse and HP Fire if you wanna destroy everything.

Nobody is safe from this set. NOBODY.

Last edited:
If Sleep Talk and Dark Pulse are tutors now that's great because it hints at TM changes. Perhaps Defog or Slack Off TMs? We can dream can't we.
The demo datamine also shows that sleep talk and dark pulse are still TMs. IN fact, that's how we found dark pulse and sleep talk as tutors in the first place.
But again, this is not the place to discuss it - bottom line is, there's absolutely no way to be certain that the demo has the exact same data has the final product, so we're not implementing it. Simple as that.

So apparently on Showdown the new Megas have been implemented?
Can I ask why exactly that is? Especially when the move tutor moves haven't been implemented either; it makes absolutely no sense to import one new aspect of ORAS and leave out a whole other aspect which will obviously leave a huge impact on competitive. I disagree with including any of it before the game comes out regardless but come ON, if you're going to include the Megas you've got to include the Tutor moves and everything else too.
You actually can use them in the balanced hackmons meta when you challenge your friends (Daken told me so)

So I've been thinking and I think think this will definitely be Mega Glalie's best set:

Mixed Nuke
########

literally the only pokemon that counter Mega Glalie when it's only using its Ice STAB and Earthquake are Slowbro/MSlowbro, and Scizor/MScizor. Keldeo and Greninja can take a Double Edge and then outspeed and OHKO, but they can only switch in once and none at all if it's an Explosion. The power from Naughty and Double Edge is necessary to 2HKO the ubiquitous azu and 84 SpA EVs are to ensure Dark Pulse will 2HKO Slowbro/MSlowbro after SR damage. HP Fire is for Scizor's formes and Explosion is for obvious reasons, although explosion isn't necessary and you could use both Dark Pulse and HP Fire if you wanna destroy everything.

If Dark Pulse is just for Slowbro then I'd rather use Freeze-Dry tbh. Using your sets EVs:

84 SpA Glalie Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 228-270 (57.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
84 SpA Glalie Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even with Adamant/Jolly and no EVs it has a 50% to 2HKO:

0- SpA Glalie Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 192-228 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If Dark Pulse is just for Slowbro then I'd rather use Freeze-Dry tbh. Using your sets EVs:

84 SpA Glalie Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 228-270 (57.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
84 SpA Glalie Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even with Adamant/Jolly and no EVs it has a 50% to 2HKO:

0- SpA Glalie Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 192-228 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I checked here and I didn't see Freeze-dry under moves, that's why I didn't suggest it. I also just checked Serebii and didn't see it. Are you sure Glalie learns it?

I checked here and I didn't see Freeze-dry under moves, that's why I didn't suggest it. Are you sure Glalie learns it?
It appears to learn it in ORAS; the Ice Elite Four person has a Glalie with it according to the datamining (sorry if that is considered spoilers to anyone).

Guess it would be better to wait for the games release and actual confirmation on it learning it tho, as it could always change.

Some useful information: new megas are playable on PS! main under Custom Games and Randbats, since they are still technically unreleased (except for Swampert, which is glitched as of the moment I posted this). I think this may help in providing some early thoughts on the new megas.

It appears to learn it in ORAS; the Ice Elite Four person has a Glalie with it according to the datamining (sorry if that is considered spoilers to anyone).

Guess it would be better to wait for the games release and actual confirmation on it learning it tho, as it could always change.
Yeah cool, that would be really good if it got Freeze Dry.

Mixed Nuke
########

Explosion is a must, and I think that HP Fire useless as well. With that much investment HP Fire won't kill Scizor on the switch, and all Scizors carry Bullet Punch so a 2HKO is not an option really. Dark Pulse is not a bad idea for Slowbro though, but I prefer Ice Shard because it's only base 100 speed.

Explosion is a must, and I think that HP Fire useless as well. With that much investment HP Fire won't kill Scizor on the switch, and all Scizors carry Bullet Punch so a 2HKO is not an option really. Dark Pulse is not a bad idea for Slowbro though, but I prefer Ice Shard because it's only base 100 speed.
What good does Ice Shard do though? Anything you might need to outspeed with Ice Shard is NOT switching into a Double Edge anyways, the only things would be Keld and Gren but Ice Shard will do sweet FA to them. As for HP Fire being useless because not enough investment, the current speed investment only outspeeds base 76 max speed w/ a + speed nature, so perhaps I could lower the speed investment enough so It outspeed max speed + speed natured base 70s such as Bisharp who gets 2HKOed by Double Edge and only does about 50-66% to Glalie with SP.

What good does Ice Shard do though? Anything you might need to outspeed with Ice Shard is NOT switching into a Double Edge anyways, the only things would be Keld and Gren but Ice Shard will do sweet FA to them.
Because almost anything that's faster than it can kill it. Priority is everything in this meta. And Greninja really can't switch into a Double-Edge very well.

252 SpA Glalie Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not worth all of the investment. Glalie wants as much as power behind its Explosion as possible.

252 SpA Glalie Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not worth all of the investment. Glalie wants as much as power behind its Explosion as possible.
Oh he said it 2HKOd Slowbro with the investment he had. Nevermind then.

Because almost anything that's faster than it can kill it. Priority is everything in this meta. And Greninja really can't switch into a Double-Edge very well.
It can once, outspeed, then KO. Also, Ice Shard is not very powerful from 120 Attack and when you're using Mega Glalie as a nuke the idea is to get a free switch-in on a double switch, U-turn/Volt Switch, or after a teammate's death do fire off free attacks like Megacham.

It actually takes it better than I thought. I still think it needs Ice Shard though.
Can you explain? I've explained my position, Ice Shard isn't very powerful on Mega Glalie, and when you use Mega Glalie as a nuke, logically it's more efficient to run coverage to beat almost everything than run priority that isn't very strong nor recurringly useful anyways.

Now that we've had a chance on showdown to test these megas in custom games, I've gotten about four matches in with a stall team around mega slowbro... To be honest, it's a bit underwhelming compared to what we expected. The fact is, there's a ton of special electric pokes flying around and the weaknesses still exist. The difference this time is the fact that you have to recover while you're in instead of just maintaining momentum and regenerating. This really matters when you're hitting off against Landorus and other U-turners who still give you good chip damage but now you don't recover that by switching out. That being said, he's a fantastically solid wall. It's just there is a lot of SE attacks around to take him on.

I think Thunderbolt is going to be required on him, though. Water walls are taking him too lightly on the special side, especially other (non-mega) slowbros and rotom-wash. I haven't gotten around to testing the CM set yet, though.

Mixed Nuke
########
move 3: Freeze Dry
move 4: Explosion
evs: 252 Atk / 132 SpA / 120 Spe

This is my updated Mega Glalie set and I think this is definitely the best set it can run. Double edge destroys everything, even things that resist it besides Slowbro's formes, Rotom-W, Scizor's formes, and Mega Aggron. Earthquake annihilates Heatran and Magnezone. Freeze Dry with the given investment stops Rotom-W and Slowbro's formes in their tracks as they would otherwise be counters to Mega Glalie. Explosion is used for obvious reasons if you use Mega Glalie. 120 Speed EVs are enough to outspeed max Speed + natured base 70s, particulary Bisharp which is 2HKOed by Double Edge and Earthquake and fails to KO Glalie with Sucker Punch. 120 Speed EVs is the minimum speed investment because otherwise Bisharp will outspeed and KO with Iron Head.

timid or modest for mega-Sceptile? doing my head in here trying to justify the nature if I put time in to hatching a shiny Treecko.

Know what seems like an okay Mega? Latias. A ton of speed and defense on top of already great special stats that it can boost with Calm Mind. With CM / D Pulse / Surf / HP Fire or Roost it could pretty quickly steamroll through a good percent of OU.

Now that we've had a chance on showdown to test these megas in custom games, I've gotten about four matches in with a stall team around mega slowbro... To be honest, it's a bit underwhelming compared to what we expected. The fact is, there's a ton of special electric pokes flying around and the weaknesses still exist. The difference this time is the fact that you have to recover while you're in instead of just maintaining momentum and regenerating. This really matters when you're hitting off against Landorus and other U-turners who still give you good chip damage but now you don't recover that by switching out. That being said, he's a fantastically solid wall. It's just there is a lot of SE attacks around to take him on.

I think Thunderbolt is going to be required on him, though. Water walls are taking him too lightly on the special side, especially other (non-mega) slowbros and rotom-wash. I haven't gotten around to testing the CM set yet, though.
Well I think the CM set is why everyone is terrified.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Modest still outspeeds Mega Manectric, but you miss out on outspeeding... I don't know, Mega Lopunny?
Modest Mega Sceptile has 389 speed while Timid Mega Manectric has 405.

CM M Slowbro is like CM Suicune but with 5 less HP, 35 less Sp Def, more weaknesses, and no Lefties. Not as scary as it seems on paper.
You also can't beat it with Psyshock or Secret Sword since it resists both and has a stupidly high defense stat. It's pretty much guaranteed to win CM Wars since you can't crit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)