Monthly Art Contest: MAC #32 - Real World Pokemon

The Smogon Monthly Art Contest!

The Monthly Art Contest (MAC) is a long-standing tradition in Smeargle's Studio, dating back to 2010. Each month, a new themed contest begins. Submissions are open for a number of weeks, after which a poll will open and users can vote for their favourite entries. All entries must follow the theme set by the moderator in charge, and winning entries will receive prizes!

Rules

1. All global forum rules apply.

2. Submissions must follow the theme of the current contest to be eligible.

3. No plagiarism. Participants caught tracing or passing another's work off as their own will be disqualified from the current MAC, and permanently banned after a repeat offense.

4. Comments and criticisms are welcome, but posts such as "This one is definitely going to win/lose!" or "This sucks!" will be deleted, and such posts may get you warned.

5. Avoid spamming the thread excessively.

6. Voting for yourself in the poll is prohibited, and persons caught doing so will have their entry revoked. Likewise, do not create multiple accounts to vote.

7. Submissions should be no larger than 1000 by 1000 pixels.

8. Any sort of visual art is acceptable as a submission as long as it fits the theme. This includes, but isn't limited to: traditional art, digital art, sculptures and food. If you've got any doubts about whether your submission is acceptable, feel free to PM me about it.

9. We welcome suggestions for themes! To suggest a theme, PM @elcheeso or @princessofmusic.

Prizes

Following the end of each contest, the 1st and 2nd place winners will be featured with full critique in The Smog, as well as on Smogon's Facebook page and the Art of Smogon Twitter. In addition, the 1st place winner will receive a custom title on the forums.

Have fun and good luck!

Alright, so now that we've got the new thread out of the way, let's start our new theme! If you're a MAC veteran, be sure to reread the OP, since we have new prizes for people who hit first and second place!

We are on MAC #32, and our theme (as can be seen from the title) is real world Pokemon.

What does this mean? It's about Pokemon acting as their real world counterparts or inspirations would. For example, Zorua getting chased by a Norwegian Forest Cat, Pikachu caught in a mouse trap, or Garbodor waiting to be picked up by the garbage collectors. While we've had realistic Pokemon as a theme before, this theme is focusing on realistic actions over realistic looks. You won't lose points for making your Pokemon look realistic, just make sure they're acting as real animals or evil spirits or computers would.

Tentative due date is the 21st of October.

Do you accept only digital paintings? Are traditional drawings allowed?
We accept anything, basically! If you wanted to bake a cake shaped like a Miltank which was next to a milking machine + farmer cake and submit that, or bake a regular cake with the icing decorated to show that scene, I'd be 100% fine with that. Sculptures, miniatures, traditional art, digital art, delicious foods, basically anything is acceptable as long as it's visual art (ie no fanfic) and fits the theme. Hope this helps! I'll probably add this to the OP so it's clear.

Are entries submitted on this very thread or are they accepted somewhere else?

This is my first time trying to submit something sorry if the answer is obvious.

Edit: I think I figured out the answer (I found some older threads heh). Here is my entry for this month's theme:

I call it fat cat laying in tiny box. I have my signature on this, I can remove it if it's an issue.

Last edited:
My plan for this contest was to create a real life arcanine acting as a dog playing with his ball at the backyard. I did not put a signature because i was not sure if that was allowed, but if necessary i'll put it.
It's allowed! You don't have to if you don't want, but we're fine with people putting their name on their work.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's my last-minute entry, based on Altaria's BW2 Pokedex entry: "On sunny days, it flies freely through the sky and blends into the clouds."

Thanks for the submissions so far, folks! I'm just popping in to warn everyone that there is now only 24 hours from this post to get your submissions in! Go go go!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)