Metagame ORAS LC / new moves and abilities discussion

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
I'll try Pancham in a core with Dig + Ziggy as a way to get free half-mementos, but I can't see it being useful unless you're abusing the shit out of Parting Shot or really really need to Knock Off Shellos i guess

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I suppose that we won't know how much Parting Shot could affect the metagame, as no metagame has really had a good one. We'd probably need to really tinker with it before we get some kind of answer, but I can see Parting Shot being able to hand some very easy set up opportunities for team mates.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
As it stands now, I'd say that Pancham will be pretty cool as a Parting Shot pivot now that it has Drain Punch and Knock Off in its arsenal, but it is not comparable with Mienfoo because it doesn't have Regenerator, which is a huge part of what makes Mienfoo the pivot it is. Even with Drain Punch, Pancham won't have that same staying power and will need to be played carefully whether it uses Parting Shot or not.

Parting Shot sets might actually work well with Wish support, seeing as how Pancham will have to take a hit before pivoting out without recovering any health back. Nobody wants to only be able to reliably use Parting Shot once.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah Pancham and Mienfoo shouldn't fill the same role at all, Mienfoo also has 3 extra Speed and 1 extra Attack vs Pancham and only gives up 2 Hp and 1 Def, so it hits harder and faster and can recover the extra HP lost from having lower defenses with Regen. Pancham figures as a great setup pokemon for other sweepers because it can Knock Off anything and use Parting shot, but it wont take Mienfoo's place anywhere.

That bulk is actually significant when you consider Evio and lc rolls. But yeah, it lacks foo's survivability and speed.

Id also note that Pancham pairs really well with Pawniard, Gothita, Omanyte, and more. Hell, it did before too but it's even better now lol

Gothita finally getting Trick + Shadow Tag will be great. This thing sets up all over stall w/ a CM + Trick set and will be even more viable than it already was. Knock Off Ferroseed will be a pain in the ass to play against, as its ability to take away Eviolite/Berry Juice will allow it support its team through Hazards, Status, Leech Seed, and item removal. I'm really glad that most of these movepool additions didn't change things too drasticall, but it'll still be interesting to see how the meta shapes up after ORAS is released.

As it stands now, I'd say that Pancham will be pretty cool as a Parting Shot pivot now that it has Drain Punch and Knock Off in its arsenal, but it is not comparable with Mienfoo because it doesn't have Regenerator, which is a huge part of what makes Mienfoo the pivot it is. Even with Drain Punch, Pancham won't have that same staying power and will need to be played carefully whether it uses Parting Shot or not.

Parting Shot sets might actually work well with Wish support, seeing as how Pancham will have to take a hit before pivoting out without recovering any health back. Nobody wants to only be able to reliably use Parting Shot once.
Adding on to this, I think a core of Pancham with another Fighting-type, including Croagunk, Mienfoo, and even Timburr, is extremely viable. Pancham doesn't have the priority, or speed, to counter Pawniard efficiently, whereas the other fighters do. This means that you can avoid switching in Pancham when you do not have to and minimize the damage it takes. I definitely think Spritzee and Lickitung could definitely be great support for Pancham, providing much needed longevity, along with Drain Punch, seeing as it lacks Regenerator. I definitely agree when people say it is not a Mienfoo replacement.

I think Pancham can definitely be a great addition to Volt Turn teams, especially variants using SD Fletchling. It could also make more Volt Turn teams use other set up sweepers, including Zigzagoon, Fletchling, Shell Smashers, etc. Basically, just a couple more thoughts I have on the subject of Pancham.

I am also excited to use Pumpkaboo with Synthesis, our first viable bulky Ghost-type, and Spinblocker, with reliable recovery, seeing as Frillish is mostly mediocre. Pumpkaboo will definitely be forming a good core tha is reminiscent of Bisharp + Aegislash (Defiant + great Spinblocker). We are just lacking the Deoxys-D aspect involved in these cores, unless you want to double up on Grass-types and use Ferroseed or Chespin.

#Reiteratingeverythingpreviouslystated #LikeaBoss #Slay

Last edited:
Adding on to this, I think a core of Pancham with another Fighting-type, including Croagunk, Mienfoo, and even Timburr, is extremely viable. Pancham doesn't have the priority, or speed, to counter Pawniard efficiently, whereas the other fighters do. This means that you can avoid switching in Pancham when you do not have to and minimize the damage it takes. I definitely think Spritzee and Lickitung could definitely be great support for Pancham, providing much needed longevity, along with Drain Punch, seeing as it lacks Regenerator. I definitely agree when people say it is not a Mienfoo replacement.

I think Pancham can definitely be a great addition to Volt Turn teams, especially variants using SD Fletchling. It could also make more Volt Turn teams use other set up sweepers, including Zigzagoon, Fletchling, Shell Smashers, etc. Basically, just a couple more thoughts I have on the subject of Pancham.

I am also excited to use Pumpkaboo with Synthesis, our first viable bulky Ghost-type, and Spinblocker, with reliable recovery, seeing as Frillish is mostly mediocre. Pumpkaboo will definitely be forming a good core tha is reminiscent of Bisharp + Aegislash (Defiant + great Spinblocker). We are just lacking the Deoxys-D aspect involved in these cores, unless you want to double up on Grass-types and use Ferroseed or Chespin.

#Reiteratingeverythingpreviouslystated #LikeaBoss #Slay
On the topic of hazard stack, we do have Dwebble, which can almost always get up two layers except against Drilbur, which Pumpkaboo can wall to hell and back. Hazard stack is definitely gonna be really good in ORAS, it's got everything it really needs. We also have Venipede, which is a good suicide lead if you're positive that you can keep hazards up the whole game, but every team with a stop to Pawniard like Ponyta won't be afraid to Defog in its face. Dwebble is a bit less of a suicide lead, because it has the bulk and speed to set up hazards mid- to late-game if need be.

Something I'm really looking forward to is Drain Punch Chespin. Chespin is already a really underrated mon in this meta, and it's only getting better with ORAS. Drain Punch means it doesn't have to be so reliant on the low PP of Synthesis, while also letting it hit Fletch on the switch. It certainly won't OHKO and probably won't 2HKO Fletch, but it really helps it wear down Fletch by doing over 30% on the switch-in. When Fletch is Roosting, it's not able to put pressure on the team, so any damage helps against it. Drain Punch also gives Chespin more offensive presence, especially seeing as it is a Fighting-type move, which means that Chespin could be really good on Fighting spam teams to provide hazards that break sturdy/sash and wear down the opponent, while also providing a bulky backbone to the team, which most Fighting spam teams appreciate. I think it's gonna be really good with Archen, because Archen can take almost all Flying attacks really well and set up Stealth Rock while recovering and dealing out damage, and Chespin can take the Water- and Electric-type attacks that threaten Archen, recover up, and set up Spikes. I feel like Chespin is going to be a great mon on bulky offense teams because it can wear down the opponent easily and synergizes well with other bulky offensive mons like Ponyta and Archen, while still providing improved offensive presence with ORAS due to Drain Punch.

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Adaptability Skrelp is really cool. Wouldn't surprise me if we will get Contrary Snivy now, seeing as the Unova starters are obtainable in the games.

SamuelTheBest

Banned deucer.
I don't have much time,but I want to talk about

PANCHAM HAVE NOW A GOD MOVESET
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Parting shot
- Gunk Shot

Pancham have a great set now,I believe he have a great position in the meta
I think he is actually one of the best fighting type in LC(for me timburr is still better °3°)
also I want to talk about...

finally skrelp get his great ability,ADAPTABILITY
he have a great role in the meta now
this is the set I made:
Skrelp @ Life orb
Ability: Poison Point
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

it can work good,actually
Good work,like gastly
but sadly gastly is better,but not much

---------------

well,this is all

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
So Adaptability Skrelp was confirmed to be found in ORAS. Thoughts, everyone? I think I might try using it now!

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 116 Def / 200 SpA / 36 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is the best set I can think of for right now, and none of the EVs are wasted, which is awesome. Scald has a massive 160 Base Power thanks to Adaptability, and Hydro Pump has 220 Base Power to deal serious pain to assure KOs that Scald cannot. Sludge Wave doesn't have as high of a poison chance as Sludge Bomb, but the Adaptability boost does make its slightly higher power more relevant and using this move over Sludge Bomb also makes sure that Skrelp can hit Chespin hard. HP Fire is obviously there for punishing Ferroseed, which doesn't care about Skrelp's STAB attacks. I know that people probably want to try physical Skrelp sets, but Scald and HP Fire are much more important tools for this metagame than Gunk Shot or Play Rough. With a grand total of 8 resistances, it is able to tolerate hits from a lot of common Pokemon. Eviolite with Wish support will let Skrelp stay in the game and nuke everything for longer than Berry Juice.

On the topic of hazard stack, we do have Dwebble, which can almost always get up two layers except against Drilbur, which Pumpkaboo can wall to hell and back. Hazard stack is definitely gonna be really good in ORAS, it's got everything it really needs. We also have Venipede, which is a good suicide lead if you're positive that you can keep hazards up the whole game, but every team with a stop to Pawniard like Ponyta won't be afraid to Defog in its face. Dwebble is a bit less of a suicide lead, because it has the bulk and speed to set up hazards mid- to late-game if need be.

Something I'm really looking forward to is Drain Punch Chespin. Chespin is already a really underrated mon in this meta, and it's only getting better with ORAS. Drain Punch means it doesn't have to be so reliant on the low PP of Synthesis, while also letting it hit Fletch on the switch. It certainly won't OHKO and probably won't 2HKO Fletch, but it really helps it wear down Fletch by doing over 30% on the switch-in. When Fletch is Roosting, it's not able to put pressure on the team, so any damage helps against it. Drain Punch also gives Chespin more offensive presence, especially seeing as it is a Fighting-type move, which means that Chespin could be really good on Fighting spam teams to provide hazards that break sturdy/sash and wear down the opponent, while also providing a bulky backbone to the team, which most Fighting spam teams appreciate. I think it's gonna be really good with Archen, because Archen can take almost all Flying attacks really well and set up Stealth Rock while recovering and dealing out damage, and Chespin can take the Water- and Electric-type attacks that threaten Archen, recover up, and set up Spikes. I feel like Chespin is going to be a great mon on bulky offense teams because it can wear down the opponent easily and synergizes well with other bulky offensive mons like Ponyta and Archen, while still providing improved offensive presence with ORAS due to Drain Punch.
Drain Punch is good if you run Spikes or something. The Bulk Up set needs Rock Slide, though.

Skrelp could also use Hidden Power Psychic over Hidden Power Fire if your team is weak to Croagunk, who walls Skrelp easily as well. Skrelp definitely got a massive boon with the release of this hidden ability, though. Will probably be one of the best tanks in the meta. Skrelp could also go mixed, with Scald, Gunk Shot, Play Rough, and Hidden Power Fire, but purely special definitely seems a lot more viable. About the EVs, though, if you give Skrelp a Calm nature over Modest, it allows Skrelp to live Abra's Psychic, though this also takes away from Skrelp' ability to break through walls with Hydro Pump.

Skrelp could also use Hidden Power Psychic over Hidden Power Fire if your team is weak to Croagunk, who walls Skrelp easily as well. Skrelp definitely got a massive boon with the release of this hidden ability, though. Will probably be one of the best tanks in the meta. Skrelp could also go mixed, with Scald, Gunk Shot, Play Rough, and Hidden Power Fire, but purely special definitely seems a lot more viable. About the EVs, though, if you give Skrelp a Calm nature over Modest, it allows Skrelp to live Abra's Psychic, though this also takes away from Skrelp' ability to break through walls with Hydro Pump.
Keep in mind that Dry Skin gives Croagunk a weakness to HP Fire, so even if it isn't as powerful as HP Psychic on it you at least can hit it SOMEWHAT hard.

Keep in mind that Dry Skin gives Croagunk a weakness to HP Fire, so even if it isn't as powerful as HP Psychic on it you at least can hit it SOMEWHAT hard.
120 SpA Adaptability Skrelp Sludge Bomb vs. 132 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 5-7 (21.7 - 30.4%) -- 98.1% chance to 4HKO
120 SpA Skrelp Hidden Power Fire vs. 132 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Dry Skin Croagunk: 5-6 (21.7 - 26%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

There's a difference between a weakness and just taking 1.25x damage. HP Fire has no benefit in hitting Croagunk.

Pumpkaboo-Super @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
Level: 5
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 80 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Shadow Sneak

No more Leech Seed recover. Personally, this was the mon i was excited about with the ORAS changes. Drilbur is annoying, but with Pumpkaboo he can't even scratch the team anymore. Although there isn't much to say about this set because only one move changed, it is still worth noting and i would suggest it to anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)