Other XY OU Viability Ranking: Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Unaware CM Clefable is definitely not even close to C+ in terms of a set and that is waaaaaaaaay to low. It is actually a really great set because it doesn't just lose to other set up sweepers and can break many defensive set up sweepers such as Suicune with ease. Sure you may be prone to status but 1. Why are you bringing it into status users in the first place when its purpose is to break other set up sweepers 2. eliminated key threats that would be a problem for Clefable in the first place. Unaware CM might not be its greatest set but implying that something like Special Victini is better than it and actually more viable I don't agree is the case at all. B+ if anything in terms of how low it should be.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some changes I'd make. I italicized anything that doesn't currently exist on the list but imo should.

Wallbreaker Charizard X: This set allows Charizard-X to run all three attacks its other sets wish they could run while also having longevity, thanks to Roost. I think this set for Charizard X warrants A rank, since it can't boost its speed, and therefore isn't amazing v. offense.
Unaware Calm Mind Clefable:
Tbh I'd never really use this. Because you lack Magic Guard, you're forced to run Heal Bell, and because you lack Softboiled, you're basically forced to run WishTect. This means you cannot run Flamethrower on the set, which allows Steel-types to very easily handle Fable. It does have its applications, such as walling special setup sweepers and then sweeping them, but a) it's flawed, for what I already said, and b) I'd rather use sr fable to make use of obvious switches. I think a drastic drop is warranted, even C+, since I'd really never use this.
Stealth Rock Clefable:
This set on the other hand is godlike. It's easily able to switch into special threats like Greninja, Latios, Thundurus, set up hazards, and either act as a pseudo-cleric or damage steel-types with a decently strong fire attack. For its mixed defenses + not caring about hazards/toxic/burn, I think A+ is more appropriate for now.
Substitute + 3 Attacks Gengar:

Destiny Bond + 3 Attacks Gengar:
Taunt + 3 Attacks Gengar:
I think all three Life Orb Gengar sets belong in A+. They all restrict its checks and counters greatly, and, in tandem with the standard three attacks, make it an absolutely pain to switch into.
Bulky Swords Dance Mega Scizor:
Heatran + Slowbro are on the rise, and this set struggles against them. I'd say this set belongs in A now, and that...
Swords Dance + 3 Attacks Mega Scizor:
This set, that handles Slowbro + Heatran + Ferro, is A+ worthy now.
Choice Scarf Excadrill:
I'm Surprised this isn't ranked yet. It's a really cool revenge killer + spinner, and handles many of its checks + counters, some being Bronzong and Rotom-W, because it negates Levitate. I'm thinking A- for this, but I'm not really sure.
All-out Attacker Aerodactyl:
This set lacks the longevity of the stallbreaker set, but is able to kill a lot more threats thanks to its excellent coverage. I'd say this fits better in B+.
Stallbreaker Aerodactyl:
This set is able to break stall easily, thanks to its great 2 move coverage (Water/Flying) + access to Taunt and reliable recovery. It also checks Diggersby, which is amazing. Easy A-.

Specially Defensive Jirachi:
This is a great set, thanks to its ability to handle Latios + Gardevoir superbly, and I think of it as a strong contender for A-.
Choice Scarf Jirachi:
This set however struggles in OU, thanks to its mediocre speed tier (all scarfers should really be faster than 100 for charx) + inability to recover off the hits it's forced to take. I think it deserves to drop to C+, showing that it isn't terrible, but needs a lot of support.
Pivot Jirachi:
This set abuses Jirachi's ability to beat the Latis in order to set stealth rock. It can pivot whenever a switch is obvious thanks to uturn, use its semi-strong stab attack in iron head, and either try to abuse paraflinching tactics with body slam or hit ferro and zor with Fire punch. This jirachi can't recover, but it makes up for this by setting sr. I think this deserves B+.
SubToxic Jirachi:
This set is a pain to deal with, since bulky grounds, an easy Jirachi switch in, are forced to stay in to break the substitute, before which they are Poisoned. The set abuses its great typing and the ubiquity of Latios and Gardevoir to come in, set up a substitute, and watch the opposing team all get poisoned or flinched to death. The set also runs fire punch to handle ferro and scizor, two things that don't care about either Iron Head or Toxic. I think A- is possible for this set.
Mixed Jirachi: This set uses Icy Wind and Hidden Power Ground with an Expert Belt in order to lure some of Jirachi's best switchins, Landorus-T and Heatran. As usual, it also uses Iron Head, and often uses Fire punch for steels or thunderbolt for waters in the last slot. It can run so many different moves, but unfortunately can't run all of them. It also has no way of recovering, so I propose B- for this set.

Assault Vest Kyurem-B: This set is responsible for cube's rise to A- on the normal thread, thanks to the ice/dragon's ability to counter greninja, so I think it makes sense for that set to be A- here.

Magnet Rise Air Balloon Magnezone: This set is very niche, but when it works, it pays off severely. It's able to check excadrill, use magnet rise, and then proceed to only have 2 weaknesses. If you remove all strong neutral attackers + fire/fighting types, this set will pay off dramatically. It requires extreme team support though, so I think C+ makes the most sense.
Choice Specs Magnezone: When I use magnezone, I'm looking for a) a steel trapper and b) a birdspam check. Specs Magnezone can't do the latter, doesn't help dramatically with the former, and doesn't help in any additional niches, so I really don't see any reason for it to be ranked as high as Raikou. I honestly think it deserves C rank, the same rank Zone had before it became popular in around August, since it really does nothing amazing.
Rain Dance Tail Glow Manaphy:
Just specify that this is RDTG manaphy and not tg manaphy, since TG + 3 attacks isn't deserving of a rank imho.
Specially Defensive Skarmory:
None of the threats it walls are special - it's nearly always better to go physically defensive and handle everything it's supposed to handle better. Mega Gardevoir 2hkos after sr, and that's the only mon I'd really consider this for. Tbh I'd unrank it or make it D, since it's probably as viable as Dugtrio.
SubPuP Victini:
Victini has three wallbreaker sets, so I think it's important to draw this line. SubPuP is really good because it's able to, behind a sub, get to +1 on slowbro and +2 on heatran, and subsequently beat both. I think this set is worthy of B+, for its ability to trash common checks/counters without sacrificing much (uturn/brick break aren't missed that much).
Choice Band Victini: Extremely powerful at the start - it doesn't need any set up. However, because it can't setup and can't switch its moves, it isn't getting past its defined counters/checks ever, so I think B is fitting.
Special Victini: This set lacks the power + reliability of the other sets, due to its moves' poor accuracy, so its immediately less viable. However, it is able to lure in and ko physically defensive mons, so I think B- is fitting.

Choice Band Kingdra:
If you aren't using Draco Metero + Hydro Pump on Kingdra, you're using it wrong. This set should be removed imho.
Choice Specs Kingdra:
This set, however, is really good, and the damage increase is often worth the inability to switch moves. I'd say it belongs in B, along with the mixed attacker.

Life Orb Omastar:
Omastar needs Choice Specs to do things like 2hkoing eviolite-less chansey and ferrothorn. Sure, life orb allows it to switch moves, but it also wears it down such that it can't check talonflame well enough, and it also stops it from 2hkoing everything in its capacity, so I personally don't think it should be ranked.

Bulky SD Scizor:
Works as a replacement to Mega Scizor on teams that already have a mega. B is fine, since it's pretty much as viable as CB.

Life Orb Staraptor:
Staraptor rarely will use a move other than Brave Bird, and if it does, it's going to want it to be as powerful as possible. LO is never really worth it on Raptor, and I don't think it should be ranked.

Agility Mega Ampharos:
Requires extensive team support to be good + needs mega slot. C+ rank is more fitting for it imho.
All-Out Attacker Mega Ampharos:
If Ampharos isn't using a RestTalk set or an agility set, it's a waste. 4 attacks isn't really viable on Ampharos.
Defensive Mega Ampharos:
This is a better name for the RestTalk set, since it tends to run physical defense > special defense now, in order to better handle Keldeo. This set checks flyspam, electrics, waters, and fires with its massive bulk + is able to dish out massive damage with its uninvested special attack. This is its best set, and the set that belongs in B-.
SR Explosion Azelf:

SR Rain Dance Azelf:All three Azelf lead sets function basically the same way; all that changes is what Azelf is setting. It provides team support that really nothing else can provide as well, and I think B- is warranted for all of its sets.

Defensive Togekiss:
This set is relatively outclassed. Unless you specifically need your clerical fairy type to have defog / be a flying type, Clefable is much better alternative. That doesn't go to say that defensive toge is useless though, since it does handle chomp/lando/keldeo better. C or C+ makes the most sense. It is a defogger that ohkos bisharp, so I'm thinking c+ is fitting for that niche.
Baton Pass Togekiss: This set uses toge's nice defensive typing to switch in on common threats, boost its special attack, and baton pass to a more threatening special attacker, like Greninja or Agility Ampharos. Its ability to provide support is equal to azelf's, and therefore i find this set fits in B- perfectly.
Offensive Togekiss: This set abuses Togekiss' great two move coverage (Flying/Fighting) and Nasty plot in order to sweep weakened defensive teams. It's able to beat Ttar and Heatran, two mons that otherwise would give it trouble, as well as check bisharp, something no other fairy can do effectively. Its poor speed keeps it from pummeling offense, but its resistances to dark/fighting/ground/bug/grass allow for some switch ins. B- is fitting for this set.
Choice Specs Magneton:
This set has absolutely nothing over Choice Specs Magnezone (the extra speed doesn't matter if you're not running a scarf, or even max speed), so it certainly shouldn't be ranked.
Dual Screens Bronzong:
Not its main niche, better done by Azelf, etc etc etc. Probably shouldn't be ranked, but D is ok.
Defensive Bronzong: This set handles chomp/lando/landog/gardevoir/drill really well, and is able to fit on most teams using defensive Jirachi that find themselves ground weak.

Dual Screens Espeon:
Pretty much 100% outclassed by Azelf. Not worth ranking.
CM Espeon:
This is its main niche, and it is used on BP teams to success. I think C is fine for this set.
Focus Sash Lead Infernape:
Really solid lead able to cripple other leads well. I think C+ is fitting for this set.
MixApe Infernape: It can't beat offense, but performs superbly against defense. I'm not sure of where in the C+ to D rank it belongs, but it should be ranked.
Choice Scarf Rotom-H:
Choice Scarf is pretty bad on something that's so easy to switch in on by megas. I wouldn't rank it, mainly because of...
Defensive Rotom-H: This set makes use of Rotom-H's unique defensive typing in order to wall bird spam/chary, instead of simply trying to outspeed it. I think this is the set that makes Rotom-H worth C.
Defensive Seismitoad:
This set is in part why Seismitoad rose from D to C. Take Gastrodon and replace reliable recovery with stealth rock, and you have defensive Seismitoad. It's able to pivot on water moves, and performs specifically well v. rain teams. It also is a great electric-type switch in, and can knock off opponents' items. This set deserves C, along with the rain set.

Offensive QD Volcarona:
Able to beat Heatran, unlike defensive QD sets. It's over 1.5 times as strong, so it's able to beat things that resist its moves, like Latios, after they take a tiny bit of prior damage, and that niche imo puts it on the same level as defensive volc.

Assault Vest Heracross:
This is just the set it's ranked for, so it should be listed.
Assault Vest Metagross:
It only ever runs Assault Vest, so I think that name is better than Pivot.
Scarf Salamence:
Only runs Choice Scarf, so that name is more accurate than MoxieMence.
Agreeing with this for the most part but I have a few objections :

- I don't think Specs Zone is nearly as bad as you make it out to be. If you don't need it to check birdspam then it can be a pretty good cheoce. Although Scarf can't really lose to anything it's supposed to trap, Specs still traps far better, stopping Ferro from getting Rocks up if you catch it on teh switch, not losing to Bulky Superpwoer Scizor, and just preforming better against defensive Pokemon and teams in general like Clefable, Rhypeior, and Jirachi. It also packs a far more powerful Volt switch so punishes switches harder. Also, the added bulk you can afford when you run Specs helps Zone switch into few things like Azumarill better. Personally I'd put that particular set in B- or B.

- Scarf Drill is kinda garbage... It's a bad hazard remover for obvious reasons, getting Choice Locked into Rapid Spin kills momentum like nothing else. And yeah, Mold Breaker is good at hitting its usual checks, but obviously if your opponent sees Excadrill without sand support they'll know not to switch Rotom-W into it, and instead take advantage of the fact that no Life Orb means it can't get past a whole load of stuff anymore. Scarf Excadrill is just really easy to play round, as a scarfer it's outclassed by Landorus-T for its ability to actually create momentum instead of killing it and as a hazard remover it's just plain bad. I wouldn't put it higher than C+ personally.

A few of my own suggstions :

- I'd drop Utility Attacker Gengar own to A- or B+, that set suffers too much competition from to be really that good. LO 3 Attacks+Taunt, on the other hand, is amazing and deserves to be A+, it has like no switchins and just tears down stall.

- Scarf Garchomp needs to move to A simply because it's one most the most reliable checks to +1 XZard (given that it doesn't lose to Jolly) and also acts as a really good cleaner.

- I honestly think DD DNite should be moved down, it's not a particularly good sweeper and it isn't hard to check, and it's just not as good as band imo which is the set that makes it A in the first place.

- SubToxic Gliscor needs to move down to like B or B-, it's hardly a great set since most teams have an in-built check to it, however, Physically Defensive with Acrobatics deserves A- for the solid niche of handling MHeracross very well.

-Band Terrakion isn't that good... Life Orb is better in most cases since you don't miss out on too much damage+don't get locked in+can actually use HP Ice to a greater effect. It's certainly not as good as Scarf imo, which once again, is able to revenge kill XZard pretty well. I'd put it in B+ personally.

- Celebi's offensive set should be B+ simply because that is the set that made it B+ in the first place. Fantastic VenuTran, Bisharp, and MHera lure and really powerful attacker in general, and really punishes passive play from people expecting the Phys Def set.

- Legitimate question : why is SpD YZard still ranked? I wasn't aware that anyone used that set since MMaw ban, and I doubt a team would be Lando-I weak enough to have to use this over the far better Wisp XZard, especially since you need 2 hazard removers to make that set worth it afaik.

Last edited:
This Landorous-T set deserves atleast a B+ rank. It's scarf Lando-T except it's not max speed so that you can have a slower U-turn because I heard that was pretty good. So heres the set

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 Def / 8 SpA / 124 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 14 SpA / 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock/Brick Break/Focus Blast

With 0 Speed IV's and Brave nature and a scarf it reaches 252 Speed which is undoubtably slower than the other Scarf Landos out there which allows to to get a slow u-turn or scout by setting up rocks. The EV's are designed to hit hard while being bulky so you can take ice attacks better. It's worked alot for me and I know its not the most optimal scarf set and thats why it's not A rank but it atleast deserves a mention at B+

Last edited:
This Landorous-T set deserves atleast a B+ rank. It's scarf Lando-T except it's not max speed so that you can have a slower U-turn because I heard that was pretty good. So heres the set

Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

With 0 Speed IV's and Brave nature it reaches 252 Speed which is undoubtably slower than the other Scarf Landos out there which allows to to get a slow u-turn or scout by setting up rocks. The EV's are designed to hit hard while being bulky so you can take ice attacks better. It's worked alot for me and I know its not the most optimal scarf set and thats why it's not A rank but it atleast deserves a mention at B+
What's with the random SpA IV? And what is the significance of 252 Speed?

Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

With 0 Speed IV's and Brave nature it reaches 252 Speed which is undoubtably slower than the other Scarf Landos out there which allows to to get a slow u-turn or scout by setting up rocks. The EV's are designed to hit hard while being bulky so you can take ice attacks better. It's worked alot for me and I know its not the most optimal scarf set and thats why it's not A rank but it atleast deserves a mention at B+
Is this really a thing? not a fan of being locked into SR and you fail to revenge kill things like Mega Gyarados. I don't think this is even D worthy mate /:

I just realized it's 252 speed AFTER Choice Scarf. Lol what a troll.

Last edited:
It allows you to speed tie at worst with trick room scarf Lando-T's as well if thats even a thing

Edit: Which is niche and not seen alot I know but it's still nice to have assurance against

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Number39, in the future, please edit your post with any other information instead of immediately posting other comments after them. It takes up space on the thread. Welcome to Smogon, by the way.

Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

With 0 Speed IV's and Brave nature and a scarf it reaches 252 Speed which is undoubtably slower than the other Scarf Landos out there which allows to to get a slow u-turn or scout by setting up rocks. The EV's are designed to hit hard while being bulky so you can take ice attacks better. It's worked alot for me and I know its not the most optimal scarf set and thats why it's not A rank but it atleast deserves a mention at B+
This set has the same speed as an adamant Lando-T with 136 speed EV's

Number39:TheRagingDemon there are some serious issues with your set. First, you have EVs wasted in Special Attack, which you cannot utilize on this set and have avoided explaining. Second, locking yourself into Stealth Rocks completely forfeits any momentum, which makes it very bad at setting rocks since you give your opponent a free turn. Third, if you really want to under-speed Scarf Lando-T, just drop your speed IVs by one and you accomplish the same thing (or just run a defensive set). Overall, this set is just a lackluster combination of 2 good sets that gives up momentum if it wants to set rocks or gives up a significant amount of speed if it wants to revenge kill or just be in a decent speed tier.

Number39:TheRagingDemon there are some serious issues with your set. First, you have EVs wasted in Special Attack, which you cannot utilize on this set and have avoided explaining. Second, locking yourself into Stealth Rocks completely forfeits any momentum, which makes it very bad at setting rocks since you give your opponent a free turn. Third, if you really want to under-speed Scarf Lando-T, just drop your speed IVs by one and you accomplish the same thing (or just run a defensive set). Overall, this set is just a lackluster combination of 2 good sets that gives up momentum if it wants to set rocks or gives up a significant amount of speed if it wants to revenge kill or just be in a decent speed tier.
I use rocks because it's my only stealth rock user and I don't mind the loss of momentum because They don't know I'm scarfed if I use rocks but do you think I should standardize the set by replacing rocks with Brick Break or going mixed with Focus Blast?

Is this really a thing? not a fan of being locked into SR and you fail to revenge kill things like Mega Gyarados. I don't think this is even D worthy mate /:

I just realized it's 252 speed AFTER Choice Scarf. Lol what a troll.
Don't be mean. We don't have to call him a troll yet. He might just be misinformed or new. It's quite a common thing I've come to see.

I use rocks because it's my only stealth rock user and I don't mind the loss of momentum because They don't know I'm scarfed if I use rocks but do you think I should standardize the set by replacing rocks with Brick Break or going mixed with Focus Blast?
If they don't figure out you're scarfed, it's because at that speed you're slower than anything with base 95 speed (given a positive speed nature and Speed EVs) even WITH a scarf so scarf does nothing for you but force you to waste turns switching. You'd be better off just using leftovers. Also, why would you use Brick Break or Focus Blast when you have Super Power? Either way, I wouldn't keep pushing your set. It results in a slow Scarf mon with no recovery that gives your opponent free turns. Either go bulky pivot or full Scarf, but don't try and mix the two.

If they don't figure out you're scarfed, it's because at that speed you're slower than anything with base 95 speed (given a positive speed nature and Speed EVs) even WITH a scarf so scarf does nothing for you but force you to waste turns switching. You'd be better off just using leftovers. Also, why would you use Brick Break or Focus Blast when you have Super Power? Either way, I wouldn't keep pushing your set. It results in a slow Scarf mon with no recovery that gives your opponent free turns. Either go bulky pivot or full Scarf, but don't try and mix the two.
Superpower lowers your attack and defense which makes you have to switch and lose even more momentum as well as making your bulk useless. And besides it's pretty obvious that a bulky fast pokemon is better than a frail fast pokemon which is why the scarf is there. I can understand your argument for Focu Blast though because it does hurt when you miss but brick break is just too good to pass up especially because you can break Klefki's screens

Superpower lowers your attack and defense which makes you have to switch and lose even more momentum as well as making your bulk useless. And besides it's pretty obvious that a bulky fast pokemon is better than a frail fast pokemon which is why the scarf is there. I can understand your argument for Focu Blast though because it does hurt when you miss but brick break is just too good to pass up especially because you can break Klefki's screens
You are already choice-locked (which when your opponent notices your lack of Leftovers recovery, they WILL figure it out), so you'll likely be forced out after a move any way. Not only that, but a slow bulky mon with passive recovery is infinitely better than a slightly faster one with no recovery that outspeeds nothing and locks itself into moves.
Base 81? There aren't even any pokemon with base 81 speed LOL. Don't just argue just to argue. We're supposed to craft good sets and rank them
1: if Base 81s outspeed you, you can bet that faster, more relevant threats also outspeed you, something that you shouldn't just blatantly ignore, especially if you're using a Choice Scarf.
2: This thread is to rank proven standard sets, not some random home-brews.

I don't think anyone here wants to derail this thread any more than we already have, so please stop pushing your set. If for some reason you really want to keep this argument going, you can try posting it in the Lando-T discussion thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/landorus-therian.3496519/ but I can almost guarantee you'll get the same answers you've gotten here.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
Roost + 3 Attacks Latios is a wonderful Pokemon in the current metagame because of its ability to hits amazingly hard and keep itself alive to check Keldeo throughout the match. This is quite important of a niche and Latios fulfills it wonderfully. This set keeps standard power of Latios with its insane Draco Meteor nuking everything. The other two attacks are usually Psyshock and Hidden Power [Fire] when I use them, Psyshock for general coverage and power, and Hidden Power Fire for smashing Ferrothorn. This set is more and more common and has slight variations all-around. Definitely an S Rank threat. I've also been toying around with Choice Specs Latios recently and it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be, coming in and nuking Draco Meteor is cute. However, it's still just kinda average because Psyshock sucks to be locked into and Draco Meteor can be taken advantage of. It's definitely not a horrible set by any means, but it certainly is not what it once was. Losing out on Roost or Defog is a huge problem as well, but it still is useful for Memento and raw power. So, I think Choice Specs Latios is deserving of B Rank simply because other Latios sets outclass it and it's not that amazing.

I know there isn't an E Rank in the OU Viability Ranking thread, but could putting cosmic power Clefable in E Rank stop new/low ladder players who are reading this thread from using it? It's ridiculously common down there and this thread could be used as a good way to enlighten some of those people.

That's all I have to contribute.

edit- I realise now how the list is actually organised, so this would look confusing having an E Rank set on an A rank mon so my idea is probably bad, unless a second Clefable is added to E Rank or something.

First, this thread needs an E rank. Because there are sets that people run that are totally unviable, and without an E rank, people might think those sets simply aren't on the list yet. Examples like Physical Greninja or Cosmic Power Clefable.

Anyways, Ampharos stood out to me as a little messed up. First, the All-out Attacker set is trash. D/E rank it. It only tends to get one, maybe two switch in per game when it has no recovery, and isn't fast enough to do anything even if it gets free switch ins in addition.

Replace the name of Specially defensive with Rest Talk, because Physically defensive is a viable spread too (for pivoting around Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Keldeo, Bisharp, Scizor, Victini, a few more obscure things like it checks Entei really well). I don't really think it's necessary to split physical/special defensive into two different sets, since they run the same moves, check the same pokemon and the only difference is which pokemon they check more efficiently. Also, move it up to B- rank, it's good at what it does, and doesn't have a lot of competition at its role, not many pokemon are anywhere near as efficient at switching into various pokemon and giving a frail pokemon a free switch in out of it. It's definitely on par with the Agility set though they're hard to compare, Agility can stay at B-

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
First, this thread needs an E rank. Because there are sets that people run that are totally unviable, and without an E rank, people might think those sets simply aren't on the list yet. Examples like Physical Greninja or Cosmic Power Clefable.
Valmanway decided early on (and by "decided" I mean "liked my post") that no unviable sets would be ranked. Giving them rank implies that there's something about them that makes it worth using from a cursory glance, which we don't want to encourage.

Valmanway decided early on (and by "decided" I mean "liked my post") that no unviable sets would be ranked. Giving them rank implies that there's something about them that makes it worth using from a cursory glance, which we don't want to encourage.
Just make the description for E rank:

"This set is not viable at all. Either it completely fails to do its job, or something else does its job better in almost every situation."

Or make it "Z rank" to get the point across that it's not viable.

Since we don't have every viable set of every pokemon listed and probably never will, I think it would be worth it just to avoid any confusion as to whether a set isn't listed because it's unviable, or because it's too obscure to be nominated yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)