UU Simple Questions Thread

Why were individual Pokemon threads banned?
They did not facilitate enough discussion on said pokemon that often it only lasts a page or even less whereas general threads actually generated discussion. Hence, individual threads were removed as they were only serving to clutter the forums.

Will the seasonal usage drops/rises take place in December like they normally do after the 3 months after the release of ORAS? Because my guess is that the tiers may not have settled enough for usage changes to be made, and was wondering if Smogon would postpone usage drops and such.

I mean the UU beta was established with only 6 days of the Pokebank ladder being official so I don't think this will be *too* different
If anything I assume there'll just be a handful of quickbans among the lower tiers that will sort themselves by usage in 3-6 months

ive never seen that, zam has enough ability to rk as well as clean with the sash set. with timid your fast but cant hit for shit with modest you hits just a bit harder but tie with shit like mienshao which is not worth even trying to do.

nah

Scarf Alakazam is a poor choice because you're restricting his excellent coverage, lack of an extremely powerful spam move (like HJK), and his lack of a pivot move.

The incredible offensive STAB combination (with high-powered move options to complement it) along with Swords Dance allowed Hawlucha to be a threat to both offense and defense, and thanks to Unburden very few things could reliably revenge kill it (it resists the most common priority move in UU, Sucker Punch, and the various Extreme Speed users all fall short of 2hko's on it, leaving Fletchinder as the sole pokemon that could outspeed and ohko it).

I'd say Hawlucha is far from the least manageable thing in BL currently, but iirc it was a close-to-unanimous decision to ban it from the tier.

I personally don't play UU, however in the usage stats for October, Gligar had a very high usage (for an RU 'mon) of roughly 4.7%, meaning that it will move up to UU next tier shift if it gets a similar usage. What has caused Gligar to become so popular, so quickly?

Spdefgar has been betting more popular as a way of countering scarf hydreigon, as well as being one of the most reliable counters to lucario in the tier (it can take on both special and physical versions).

It's also part of a fairly popular volt-switch core with vaporeon and mega-ampharos.

It's a great momentum grabber and Stealth Rock setter than fits pretty decently on offense. Its specially defensive set also counters Mega Ampharos, switches pretty easily into Scarf Hydreigon, while also being able to easily handle Mienshao and Machamp to an extent. Its just provides really nice utility as well as a decently slow u-turn to safely bring in a frail offensive threat like Mega Alakazam.

Also Sp. Def Gligar counters every form of Lucario bar SD Ice Punch (rare as hell) provided it's at a decent health. Lucario is one of the most threatening Pokemon in the metagame.

Edit: sniped :[ and I'm bad

Last edited:
Is trevernant even worth using, or do people only use it because it looks cool, and was OU once?
People use it as an annoying stallbreaker and spinblocker with a rather unique typing, assses to Will'o Wisp and plethora recovery in 1 turn between Horn Leech, Leech Seed and Harvest Sitrus, but it is majorly outclassed by Sableye most of the time. As of now, it can also serve as a shaky check to Diggersby (+2 Adamant LO EQ ohkos Max/0 Tree after rocks)

Okay so I'm using mega Blastoise on a Sticky Web team as an offensive spinner. I'm baffled at what kind of EV spread to run. What speed benchmark should I aim for?

Okay so I'm using mega Blastoise on a Sticky Web team as an offensive spinner. I'm baffled at what kind of EV spread to run. What speed benchmark should I aim for?
I like to aim for 8 EVs more than what the Speed Tiers thread pegs M-Blastoise at to beat Pokemon creeping standard Mega-Blastoise, but you'd be fine just running the standard spread or even 4 EVs more than to creep other Mega-Blastoise.

Come up with this trolly Spiritomb for my stall team. Viable?

StruggleForcer (Spiritomb) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Infestation
- Spite
- Imprison
- Toxic

Intends to trap and lower PP as much as possible, while being healed by my WishPass Blissey. Imprison+Toxic stops the vast majority of stuff I want to trap from touching me. My TR setter helps it move first. Not sure if I should run a simple Toxic/Infestation/Imprison/Protect/Taunt instead.

No that's not a good idea at all. The fact that Spiritomb has no recovery outside of Wish Support (you can't Wish to this Pokemon while you're trying to utilize your strategy since you have to switch out to do that) means it will get worn down and killed before you manage to do anything significant to your opponent. Trying to lower PP in order to win a game is simply a horrible idea. Spiritomb's low speed means that if the opponent wants to Toxic you, they will do so before you manage to use Imprison. Trick Room only allows Spiritomb to move first three times if you switch it in directly, and besides, Trick Room + Wish is a hell of a lot of support for a mediocre Pokemon using an awful set.

When considering a niche defensive Pokemon like Spiritomb for a stall team, you should think to yourself "What specific threats will this Pokemon be able to beat, and what is the most effective way I can beat them?" For example, Spiritomb's can run a Pursuit+Sucker Punch set in order to trap/kill Psychic types like Jirachi and Alakazam, and its access to Will-o-Wisp + its typing allows it to also check various Fighting types like Lucario and Mienshao. Or, it can use its decent defensive typing and respectable natural bulk to pull of a physically defensive Calm Mind/Rest/Sleep Talk set and act as a win condition.

TL;DR not viable at all because it accomplishes nothing specifically, use the Viability rankings and analyses to see the different good sets a Pokemon can use.

No that's not a good idea at all. The fact that Spiritomb has no recovery outside of Wish Support (you can't Wish to this Pokemon while you're trying to utilize your strategy since you have to switch out to do that) means it will get worn down and killed before you manage to do anything significant to your opponent. Trying to lower PP in order to win a game is simply a horrible idea. Spiritomb's low speed means that if the opponent wants to Toxic you, they will do so before you manage to use Imprison. Trick Room only allows Spiritomb to move first three times if you switch it in directly, and besides, Trick Room + Wish is a hell of a lot of support for a mediocre Pokemon using an awful set.

When considering a niche defensive Pokemon like Spiritomb for a stall team, you should think to yourself "What specific threats will this Pokemon be able to beat, and what is the most effective way I can beat them?" For example, Spiritomb's can run a Pursuit+Sucker Punch set in order to trap/kill Psychic types like Jirachi and Alakazam, and its access to Will-o-Wisp + its typing allows it to also check various Fighting types like Lucario and Mienshao. Or, it can use its decent defensive typing and respectable natural bulk to pull of a physically defensive Calm Mind/Rest/Sleep Talk set and act as a win condition.

TL;DR not viable at all because it accomplishes nothing specifically, use the Viability rankings and analyses to see the different good sets a Pokemon can use.
Thought so, IDK what I was thinking TBH.

Pressure on a defensive mon has its uses. Pressure users usually win over CM/BU wars. Switching in a defensive Pressure user into a Stone Edge or Draco Meteor (that it can shrug off) is a godsend for rock weak or dragon weak team mate. And for the rest of the match the opponent would think twice before using the move or risk running out of PP. Switching in Spiritomb on a predicted Extreme Speed from Lucario; Scarf Close Combat Infernape in particular likes Spiritomb as a partner.

Pressure on a defensive mon has its uses. Pressure users usually win over CM/BU wars. Switching in a defensive Pressure user into a Stone Edge or Draco Meteor (that it can shrug off) is a godsend for rock weak or dragon weak team mate. And for the rest of the match the opponent would think twice before using the move or risk running out of PP.
It was the imprison/spite thing that I needed the heads up on, I've seen average bulky pressure be useful, but the imprison spite thng sucks on Spritomb due to the speed issue.

It was the imprison/spite thing that I needed the heads up on, I've seen average bulky pressure be useful, but the imprison spite thng sucks on Spritomb due to the speed issue.
Dusclops with Pain Split and Infestation? But Dusclops is pretty bad and there's really no opportunity to test it right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)