All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

physcial nite is fine, cb and dd are both very dangerous sets. mix nites just more common because its a lot easier to throw out an lo draco meteor since it takes a chunk out of everything and unlike outrage doesnt lock you in.

What is the easiest old gen to get into and which tier of said gen
RBY OU, probably, simply because there are fewer Pokemon than in later gens and therefore less threats to cover. Also less things to decide on (no items, no abilities, full EVs).

Of course, if you have substantial experience in current OU play, BW2 and HGSS would probably be more similar to that. The mechanics revamps between the first four gens are much more significant than anything changed later on, IMO.

Why is Salamence banned in gen iv? Why was it freed in gen V
Banned in HGSS because Latis/Garchomp were banned and Dnite didn't have Multiscale yet leading to Mence being way out in front of other Dragons. In BW2 they decided to unban the Latis but ban Soul Dew on them, Dnite got Multiscale, Garchomp was eventually unbanned, and OU generally had power creep (*cough*Kyurem-B*cough*), so it wasn't way out in front anymore.

Not that I agree with most of these bans (or really have much of an opinion at all - I don't play either gen), but that was approximately the rationale IIRC.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Why is Salamence banned in gen iv? Why was it freed in gen V
You can read about the in-depth reasoning here for DPP: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-council-i-salamence.74979/#post-2832127

It was unbanned in BW because those reasons no longer applied, there was more competition, and the metagame was just vastly different with new defensive and offensive threats like Ferrothorn and Terrakion. Much of the same reasons as XY sans the Fairy-types.

How come feraligatr is ranked in the DPP and BW ranking thread's, from it's stats and gyarados and other water types, it seems kinda outclassed, why is it "so good"?

(I f*cking love feraligatr by the way).

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I fiddled with SD Aqua Jet Gatr in rain in gen 5, but that is all Gatr has over Gyara who is the better Dragon Dancer yeah. I am unsure what Gatr did to seperate itself ftom Gyara in DPP, but I assume it was similar, just without permarain.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Feraligatr in BW has a quite unique niche for being ridiculously strong for a rain sweeper. It abuses torrent perfectly because it has respectable bulk which often lets it get up a swords dance and hitting torrent in the same turn. A +2 stab boosted rain boosted, torrent boosted, mystic water or even life orb boosted aqua jet is (don't quote me on the number because it's from the top off my head) stronger than a 300 base power attack. There is even a rather famous replay of a feraligatr being the mvp in a final match of the OST (it's gr8astard vs DestinyUnknown game 1, you can find it on youtube). Basically priority and the ability to hit celebi/jellicent with crunch are what give g8r the niche over gyarados.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I think Salamence was banned because I bitched that Garchomp wasn't significantly better than it and rather well proved it, except instead of unbanning Garchomp they just banned Salamence too instead because the new guard is fucking stupid.

I think Salamence was banned because I bitched that Garchomp wasn't significantly better than it and rather well proved it, except instead of unbanning Garchomp they just banned Salamence too instead because the new guard is fucking stupid.
I thought it was because MoP didn't try hard enough to save it.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I dunno but the whole council thing was basically a facade, Salamence was pretty much already banned by the time the public was informed of it. I don't remember if MoP was legit against the ban or just dissenting to make the council decision appear more authentic.

How does Krookodile do in BW OU?

It seems decent, being able to counter a lot of jirachi sets with intimidate, and immunities to thunder/psyshock.

hey guys i just have a question. i've read in some threads in this subforum that people like defensive spreads of breloom more than offensive ones in dpp, so i checked breloom's analysis but all of the sugestions are offensive spreads. just wondering what are the best evs spreads for breloom (for subpuch set mostly)?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
the DPP metagame is still evolving as it continues to be played over the years; when DPP ended oh god 4 almost 5 years ago, BU loom wasn't really used from what I remember, that may not be the case now with the popularity of BU loom in BW.

most DPP analyses haven't been touched since even before BW came out (jirachee did do a couple not too long ago), so they're bound to get outdated in some aspect. if you're so inclined you could contribute and write the BU loom set for DPP so that we do have the analysis for it.

also sorry i can't answer personally sergi but i would assume that they are close to the bw bulky spreads if not the same

Hey guys ! There is a tounrament in my city every week and the last time i played i lost in the final because I didnt choose the right Pokemon to start with! Can you give me please any advice to choose the right pokemon to start with ?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Specifying what exact game(s) and what the format of the tournament is would be really helpful for that. Generally i would say you have to learn about the environement of the metagame you play (what's the common offensive and defensive threats) and try to find ways to win games and support them with the rest of your team. here is a general teambuilding cast from the battling 101 section of this forum (you might want to check that out too), note that all of this only really applies to the smogon tiers (which are usually not used in local tournaments).

The game is XY Solo 6vs6 Smogon rules OU. In morocco we only play with smogon rules because they are more competitive than the VGS and all the others. Thank for the advice i'm gonna check the video right now. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)