Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me why all of a sudden Chesnaught is seeing usage? I mean don't get me wrong it's good... and has always been good but all it seems to have gained is Drain Punch which is nice but is it really ground breaking? Almost all of the new megas seem to match up favorably against Chesnaught so its not like it has much of a niche countering many of them.

Is there some new team setup or EV spread involving Chesnaught that I missed? I get that it's a great Pokemon but why are people talking about it now.
He migth not fare amazingly against the new megas, but he is a solid response to most of the pokemon that supports those megas. He has a decentish speed and a good enough disruptive movepool. Think of it like a less predictable brelom without priority and spore that comes in relatively easy and laughs at several pokemon(Lets be honest dugtrio wont carry aerial ace) the most common set i have found is the taunt set wich laughs at ferrothorn as i learned the hard way...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
He migth not fare amazingly against the new megas, but he is a solid response to most of the pokemon that supports those megas. He has a decentish speed and a good enough disruptive movepool. Think of it like a less predictable brelom without priority and spore that comes in relatively easy and laughs at several pokemon(Lets be honest dugtrio wont carry aerial ace) the most common set i have found is the taunt set wich laughs at ferrothorn as i learned the hard way...
Breloom and Chesnaught are not comparable at all as they serve different roles. Breloom is a suicide anti-lead and/or one-time universal sweeper check while Chesnaught is a tank.

Also I do believe some Dugtrio do carry Aerial Ace, or at least that's what aim said in one of his recent videos (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Breloom and Chesnaught are not comparable at all as they serve different roles. Breloom is a suicide anti-lead and/or one-time universal sweeper check while Chesnaught is a tank.

Also I do believe some Dugtrio do carry Aerial Ace, or at least that's what aim said in one of his recent videos (please correct me if I'm wrong).
I havnt seen an aerial ace dugtrio to be honest, almost all switched out to try to gain some momentum.

And im aware of the comparision, its just that with all those knock offs i really enjoyed switching in breloom. My comparision was bad as hell as otside if their resist and stabs they dont share a role.

Can someone explain to me why all of a sudden Chesnaught is seeing usage? I mean don't get me wrong it's good... and has always been good but all it seems to have gained is Drain Punch which is nice but is it really ground breaking? Almost all of the new megas seem to match up favorably against Chesnaught so its not like it has much of a niche countering many of them.

Is there some new team setup or EV spread involving Chesnaught that I missed? I get that it's a great Pokemon but why are people talking about it now.
Drain punch is just that big of a boon, aside from a more favorable metagame against other mons aside from the new megas, since it acts as a good recovery + STAB that doesn't wear him down like Wood hammer, or slows him down further with hammer arm.

napty

Banned deucer.
I really love Chesnaught. I've already used a set consisting of Substitute, Spiky Shield, Leech Seed, and Hammer Arm. The addition of Drain Punch is cool and fit well with the Sub and the lack of real recovery. The perfect accuracy is also really nice, I remembered a miss against a Tyranitar that cost my Chesnaugh's live.

Chesnaught gaining Drain Punch is really that good. He was already durable due to Leech Seed and Spiky Shield, add in Drain Punch and you have a pokemon that just keeps coming back for more. I'm also going to put my vote out there for Stone Edge over Substitute or Spikes, hitting almost every pokemon that wants to take him on hard on the switch in is really nice.

Part of it is probably the fact that Ajwf really loves the darn thing and keeps talking about it in the stall thread lol. Not that I can blame him, I love it too.

But yeah, I think it's sort of a combination of the fact that Drain Punch is a really cool new STAB move and that people are still in the "try out all the new toys" phase. There's also the fact that it checks or counters a lot of popular threats on the ORAS ladder. Landorus-T is still super popular, and Chesnaught just loves switching into its Earthquakes and such and dumping copious amounts of Spikes on the opponent's team. Even if you come in on a U-turn, Landorus-T can't even take off a net 10% of physically defensive Chesnaught's health between the U-turn damage and Leftovers. Rotom-W is the next most popular thing, which Chesnaught can check as well, provided you have some sort of cleric support in case of burns. It works especially well if you're running one of those faster sets with Atk investment and Wood Hammer. The next two most popular Pokemon are Salamence and Greninja, who...yeah. But hey, next is Ferrothorn, who Chesnaught can switch into with no trouble and either attack with Drain Punch or dump more Spikes everywhere! Keldeo is also still popular, and Chesnaught is okay against it provided you don't switch into Icy Wind/HP Flying or something or get Scald burned.

So yeah, besides Drain Punch and the new car smell effect that happens whenever a new game comes out, it's probably just that Chesnaught matches up well against a lot of common Pokemon (which really isn't that different from XY OU lol).

Yeah, guilty as charged. But the attacker set right now can take down bulky Landorus, Jolly and bulky azumarill, Rotom-wash, bisharp, Excadrill, ferrothorn, tyranitar and terrakion.Sure, chesnaught doesn't do well vs many megas, but he's never been a great check to megas outside of Mega Gyara and Mega TTar... You might get loppunny if you're full health. That's about it.

The main thing about Chesnaught is now he isn't getting warn down taking on the steel types he kills. Now he's able to stay at higher health levels without relying on Leech Seed or Synthesis. Really, you couldn't run Hammer Arm + Wood Hammer in XY for two reasons: You immediately lose your speed tier on Azumarill after one Hammer Arm and you'd die so quickly without the recovery from Drain Punch.

I've been gone for quite some time, come back an he has Drain Punch?! Are you serious?! That's...that's everything that he needs! More or less, but who's counting! Don't worry Ajwf, you're not the only Chesnaught-aholicon this site!

I think it's a combination of a two things.

1. Chesnaught matches up well against some of the new physical Megas, like Lopunny, Swampert, and Sceptile, or partners well with others as a bulky Grass Type

2. Drain Punch is actually a boon for Chesnaught's longevity. Before, he had to rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers alone for recovery, since he couldn't manage mono-STAB w/ Synthesis on his sets, and his two best STABs had drawbacks (Wood Hammer's recoil, Hammer Arm's speed drop). Drain Punch helps remedy this since Chesnaught can outright exploit the things he has to wall.
Example: Ferrothorn
With Hammer Arm, Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs undid Leftovers and wore Tank Chesnaught down, even more if they were knocked off. While Chesnaught won in the end, it took 3 shots to beat Ferrothorn. Coupled with any other chip damage he might suffer, it bit into his health.
0 Atk Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 152-182 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Drain Punch, Chesnaught always stays healthy against Ferrothorn. Max HP hits 380. Iron Barbs Damage = 380/8 = 47.5

0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 116-138 (32.9 - 39.2%) -- 6.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Drain Punch, even on Min Damage rolls, always outheals Iron Barbs on its own. Drain Punch helps Chesnaught to keep his health up while attacking, so while both sets beat Ferrothorn, the latter has an easier time staying in shape to beat other threats as well.

Chesnaught always depended on passive recovery to keep himself healthy without being passive, and Drain Punch helps remedy both issues in one moveslot. Before, Chesnaught had to choose between
- Fight STAB
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed (for passive healing)
- Reliable Recovery
- Grass STAB

Drain Punch helps mediate between Fight, Leech Seed, and RR.

Now that we can get Drain Punch on "The Chezzer", what are your guys thoughts on an AV set?
Still would not reccomend it. Chesnaught doesn't have enough power or coverage to justify a set focusing entirely on attacking, especially when it has much better things to do like set up Spikes or stall out powerful offensive threats with Leech Seed + Spiky Shield. Save Vest for things that actually don't mind attacking without a boosting item, like Azumarill or Conkeldurr.

Now that we can get Drain Punch on "The Chezzer", what are your guys thoughts on an AV set?
I don't see how this would ever be good. You're sacrificing pretty much every single reason to use Chesnaught so you can... what, switch into Specs Hydro Pumps better? Chesnaught is already immune to Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast.

Why does no one seem hyped about Super Fang? It's doing wonders for me. Chesnaught forces switches due to all of it's immunities, and what comes in is usually something that will not appreciate getting 50% HP taken on the switch. On top of that you don't need Attack EVs and can pour everything into HP/Def. You also have the option to Leechseed or Spikes on the switch (too many mind games!).

Why does no one seem hyped about Super Fang? It's doing wonders for me. Chesnaught forces switches due to all of it's immunities, and what comes in is usually something that will not appreciate getting 50% HP taken on the switch. On top of that you don't need Attack EVs and can pour everything into HP/Def. You also have the option to Leechseed or Spikes on the switch (too many mind games!).
One must remember that only two Pokémon are common in OU and are immune to Super Fang.

Problem is competition for a moveslot: Chesnaught would love to run Super Fang but Spiky Shield, Leech Seed, Spikes and Drain Punch also exist...

One must remember that only two Pokémon are common in OU and are immune to Super Fang.

Problem is competition for a moveslot: Chesnaught would love to run Super Fang but Spiky Shield, Leech Seed, Spikes and Drain Punch also exist...
I currently run
-Super Fang
-Drain Punch
-Spikey Shield
-Spikes

Honestly Leech Seed has been a waste for me ever since I first started using this thing because everyone just switches out to something that will 1-2HKO you or set up on you. So the minimal health you get back from it isn't that great unless you get down to a 1v1. Also the accuracy kind of sucks on such a slow pokemon plus they can just switch out of the damage. Switching in/out of Super Fang results in 1-2 of the pokemon to be at 50% and easy to clean up for your sweeper.

A boost in his special defense doesn't justify losing spikey shield, leech seed, and spikes. They're just too useful but it would be really unexpected I guess? On an unrelated side note, What real life animal does chesnaught look like because I'm stumped. A huge monkey maybe?

I currently run
-Super Fang
-Drain Punch
-Spikey Shield
-Spikes

Honestly Leech Seed has been a waste for me ever since I first started using this thing because everyone just switches out to something that will 1-2HKO you or set up on you. So the minimal health you get back from it isn't that great unless you get down to a 1v1. Also the accuracy kind of sucks on such a slow pokemon plus they can just switch out of the damage. Switching in/out of Super Fang results in 1-2 of the pokemon to be at 50% and easy to clean up for your sweeper.
I've been enjoying this swt quiet a bit, especially when partnered with a revenge killer like Tflame or priority user like Mamo. Ches may have gotten new mons to worry about in ORAS but he handles so many common threats so well now, it evens out.

That said, I am thinking of sub or taunt over Spikes.

Its a ground squirrel wearing a giant chestnut as armour...
Chesnaught is a, prepare yourself for a real mouthful, Glyptodontidae. One of the first mammalia to roam the earth, which fits with the prehistoric theme the grass starters go by. Its essentially a heavy duty Armadillo with a round head and armored tail. Combined with a Paladin, a.k.a. a warrior of (or in his case, powered by) light, who specialize in hammers, shields, and all around being hard to kill.

As for Super Fang > Leech Seed, I personally don't use Leech Seed for the chip damage. I use it to heal Chesnaught's teammates, since some of bird-spams best switch ins, namely rocks and steels (pre-Hoenn Remakes), don't have any way of healing themselves. A lot of Pokemon in general who work well with Chesnaught really appreciate those few extra health points to at least buffer gradual SR damage.

Last edited:
Assault Vest Ches just isn't really superior over standard Physically Defensive Ches. It isn't doing enough with Drain Punch for it to be a reliable source of HP, and it already isn't affected by a plethora of special attacks, making the item pretty much counter productive imo.

Conkeldurr still trumps as an AV user, despite the set not being particularly good currently. Better Atk, Guts, and less defensive weaknesses win out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)