Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm putting neither because Chestnaught doesn't NEED Bulk Up IMO, Wood Hammer/Hammer Arm are devastating on their own accord, and Hammer Arm can surprise Greninja who Ice Beam Chessy. Haven't got the math to prove it, but I'm sure it'll work ;)

I'm putting neither because Chestnaught doesn't NEED Bulk Up IMO, Wood Hammer/Hammer Arm are devastating on their own accord, and Hammer Arm can surprise Greninja who Ice Beam Chessy. Haven't got the math to prove it, but I'm sure it'll work ;)
? Sorry, who are you referring too?

Leech Seed / Toxic / Spiky Shield / Seed Bomb or a different STAB.
How about Leech Seed / Toxic / Spiky Shield / Wood Hammer?

EDIT: But to be honest, I would remove Toxic and give it a good Fighting-type STAB move such as Hammer Arm or Brick Break.

Last edited:
For a really simple set, what about this pivot:

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb / Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge

This set is a perfect switch in to Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn if you're having difficulty with them, easily PP stalling Mega Venusaur's Synthesis and being entirely untouchable by Ferrothorn. Sub on the switch, and then when your counter switches in - e.g. Talonflame - nail it with something like Stone Edge. Whatever the weather, unless they have an Infiltrator or Hyper Voice/Boomburst, you get a free hit in and then can switch in to something that compliments Chesnaught's weaknesses (plus, as I found out much to my pleasure, Intimidate doesn't lower attack through subs). Also handles the likes of Breloom, Aegislash and Spore Smeargle with ease. Seed Bomb is a nice STAB option giving better coverage than Ground/Fighting/Rock, whilst Hammer Arm makes short work of Blissey and Chansey.

It goes without saying that Chesnaught has a great move pool, so tailor it to your needs (e.g. Shadow Claw if you want it to lure Latios/Latias or other psychics, Poison Jab - in conjunction with EQ - for fairies, he even learns Dragon Claw for whatever crazy reason). Spiky Shield can be thrown into the mix if you want to stall (Shield and then sub on the turn they're going to break your sub). Sorry if a similar set has been covered, but most I've seen focus on Spiking or stalling neglecting the fact Chesnaught is superb at forcing switches in the right situations.

For a really simple set, what about this pivot:

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb / Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge

This set is a perfect switch in to Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn if you're having difficulty with them, easily PP stalling Mega Venusaur's Synthesis and being entirely untouchable by Ferrothorn. Sub on the switch, and then when your counter switches in - e.g. Talonflame - nail it with something like Stone Edge. Whatever the weather, unless they have an Infiltrator or Hyper Voice/Boomburst, you get a free hit in and then can switch in to something that compliments Chesnaught's weaknesses (plus, as I found out much to my pleasure, Intimidate doesn't lower attack through subs). Also handles the likes of Breloom, Aegislash and Spore Smeargle with ease. Seed Bomb is a nice STAB option giving better coverage than Ground/Fighting/Rock, whilst Hammer Arm makes short work of Blissey and Chansey.

It goes without saying that Chesnaught has a great move pool, so tailor it to your needs (e.g. Shadow Claw if you want it to lure Latios/Latias or other psychics, Poison Jab - in conjunction with EQ - for fairies, he even learns Dragon Claw for whatever crazy reason). Spiky Shield can be thrown into the mix if you want to stall (Shield and then sub on the turn they're going to break your sub). Sorry if a similar set has been covered, but most I've seen focus on Spiking or stalling neglecting the fact Chesnaught is superb at forcing switches in the right situations.
Definitely use Seed Bomb>Hammer Arm; otherwise it's pretty much outclassed by Conkeldurr, who hits harder and has fewer weaknesses.

I really like Chesnaught, I think it's the most criminally underused pokemon. It can wall or counter a lot of top threats: Aegislash, Bisharp, Mega Gyardos, Garchomp w/o Fire Blast, Mega Tyaranitar, Lando-T, CB/LO Scizor (loses to bulky SD,) Dragonite, Banded Terrakion, Conkeldurr... Some stuff it wins with only 10% HP or whatever left, but notably it completely laughs at Aegislash (w/o Flash Cannon) who is broken on every team. Mega Tyranitar and Mega Gyardos are both super scary dragon dancers that can easily sweep after a turn of set up, but Chesnaught can usually beat them if it's at full health. Bisharp can also be really hard to handle but Chesnaught makes quick work of him.

I've been using a Subseed set. It can't beat or even harm any single defogger, it doesn't have the speed or capability to go an offensive route, and Subseed, when I can get a sub up that the opponent can't break in one shot (lol Aegislash,) allows Chesnaught to beat stuff it really has no business beating. It also makes Mega Tyranitar and Mega Gyarodos easier to handle, because they can both have Ice coverage, but once you get seeds up and have enough health to get a sub up they're done.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head,
Energy Ball
Seed Bomb
Mud Bomb
Weather Ball
Gyro Ball
Electro Ball
....Explosion? Bullet Punch?

Only common stuff are gyro ball, seed bomb and energy ball, maybe electro ball if sticky web galvantula gets popular. It already resists everything bar gyro ball.Then again bulletproof might not even resist all of these.

Also ferrothorn is completely fucked by this thing.
Sludge bomb?

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
By the way,about rocky helmet and spiky shield,stack or not?
Rocky Helmet and Spiky Shield does not stack. I still use both on my Chesnaught though. Rack up damage one turn with Spiky shield, and then the next turn Rocky Helmet damage comes off assuming the opponent uses a contact move. It's fun.

I personally run this Chesnaught on my team.

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 something I can't remember
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Hammer Arm
- Roar

I used to run Leech Seed, and then Synthesis on him before, but I personally couldn't make use of it, and roar heavily assists with racking up damage over time (another Pokemon has stealth rocks covered and I have like two more Pokemon with Roar because it's hilarious) and dealing with Pokemon like Gengar, who usually try to Sludge Bomb him without realising his ability. I can usually get 2 layers of spikes up easy peasy, and then just spam roar and spiky shield as I please. Uninvested Hammer Arm still manages to surprise me with the damage output sometimes. I chose it over Seed Bomb because I needed a fighting move on my team. He takes hits like a champ.

Rocky Helmet and Spiky Shield does not stack. I still use both on my Chesnaught though. Rack up damage one turn with Spiky shield, and then the next turn Rocky Helmet damage comes off assuming the opponent uses a contact move. It's fun.

I personally run this Chesnaught on my team.

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 something I can't remember
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Hammer Arm
- Roar

I used to run Leech Seed, and then Synthesis on him before, but I personally couldn't make use of it, and roar heavily assists with racking up damage over time (another Pokemon has stealth rocks covered and I have like two more Pokemon with Roar because it's hilarious) and dealing with Pokemon like Gengar, who usually try to Sludge Bomb him without realising his ability. I can usually get 2 layers of spikes up easy peasy, and then just spam roar and spiky shield as I please. Uninvested Hammer Arm still manages to surprise me with the damage output sometimes. I chose it over Seed Bomb because I needed a fighting move on my team. He takes hits like a champ.
How about give him Red Card?spike-stacking and phaze it with that item.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
That's quite a clever idea, but I doubt spiky shield stacks with red card. Remember, spiky shield is just protect with an added effect. If Red Card won't activate when using protect, then using Spiky Shield won't activate it either.

I do like Red Card a lot though, always wanted to use it. Not really convinced on using it over Rocky Helmet though.

I've been wondering, would Shadow Claw be worth a shot? Mainly for Aegislash and most Gengar. While he either walls or counters those two, he can't really do anything back. Aegislash may not want to be Seeded, but without Roar, a SD variant can just keep setting up. As for Gengar (lacking Dazzling Gleam, Sludge Wave or -pfft- Psychic), Chesnaught literally can't do anything if it gets a Substiute up, making it a draw. With Shadow Claw, he can do something directly to harm those two.

Thing is, I can't see Shadow Claw being useful for anything else, but it can fit in on a standard Spiky Shield-Leech Seed-Hammer Arm set, replacing Roar/Synthesis.

I've been wondering, would Shadow Claw be worth a shot? Mainly for Aegislash and most Gengar. While he either walls or counters those two, he can't really do anything back. Aegislash may not want to be Seeded, but without Roar, a SD variant can just keep setting up. As for Gengar (lacking Dazzling Gleam, Sludge Wave or -pfft- Psychic), Chesnaught literally can't do anything if it gets a Substiute up, making it a draw. With Shadow Claw, he can do something directly to harm those two.

Thing is, I can't see Shadow Claw being useful for anything else, but it can fit in on a standard Spiky Shield-Leech Seed-Hammer Arm set, replacing Roar/Synthesis.
SD Aegislash is trash and no one seriously uses it above a certain ELO.

Even with Shadow Claw I wouldn't leave Chesnaught in on Gengar. The risk of it having a move that screws you over (Sludge Wave, Dazzling Gleam, Wisp+Taunt, SubDisable) is just too high.

Plus Chesnaught just has way too many useful moves to use, Shadow Claw is hitting literally just two things.

Really? All I've been seeing lately was SD Aegislash. It's...largely ineffective, but my Chesnaught, who lacks Roar, can't do a thing to it other than Seed it, which is good enough now that I think about it.

Ah well. I only bring it up because I'm trying to experiment on his surprisingly vast movepool, but to no real avail. Hammer Arm seems to cover everything that needs hitting, with Stone Edge picking up the slack if you want him to have more offensive options. Had a few ideas on Dragon Claw, but Hammer Arm hits things hard enough, and if it doesn't, Dragon Claw sure won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)