Other OU Player of the Week #7: Haunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding mega Metagross, what are your thoughts on it? I know it's very early to even think about reaching a conclusion on any mega evolution not named Salamence but I'm just curious. Do you think it has the potential to be too good? Or just another top tier S rank threat?

Have you had any serious thoughts or discussions about the future of the metagame, in gens 7, 8, 9...n, regarding policy? Power creep will always be a thing, the size of tiers is gonna increase, the number of tiers is gonna have to increase with it, matchups become more important (as you've said) and, eventually, (at infinity) there'll be a Pokemon to fill every niche...

...any thoughts then on how extensible Smogon's current policies are, and how applicable they'll be when OU is eventually made up of an insanely large number of similarly viable Pokemon (for arguments sake, 200 pokemon in gen 32) and a shedload of completely unsimilar broken threats waiting to be banned? (32 gens worth of megas and borked legendaries a la Genesect) :?

((Also how do you manage to keep all of your posts sounding really mature and measured when so many of the people you have to write to are being stupid about policies?))

haunter

Banned deucer.
best pasta type, why, and made by who ?_?
Spaghetti con zucchine. I can cook it myself.

As evidenced by the plethora of shoutouts you received in Smogon's love thread, it's relatively apparent that you are quite the Rico Suave with the ladies here on www.smogon.com. Because I know you'll counter this question by saying me: Besides myself, who are some of your favorite female users to interact with and why?
Are there even females on the internet??? Jokes aside, Sashay and Astara are the confirmed female users I interact the most on Smogon/PS.
Why exactly aren't tournaments your cup of tea? What about them makes you not want to participate?
I generally dislike the tournaments environment. Some people define it as "toxic" and probably for good reasons. I play to have fun and it's hard to have fun when you have to deal with people throwing insults at you for futile reasons. Additionally, I have a very inconvenient time zone and I remember how painful it was for me to arrange matches when I used to play tournaments in the past.
Aldaron and I always laugh at you when you use Latin phrases like "condicio sine qua non" in your posts. Why do you always incorporate them into your posts despite knowing most people haven't a clue what they mean?
Professional deformation. Also remember: "quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur".
Do you realize this is what I have to put up with every time I message you on IRC?
Proof that you're my favourite user!
What is/are, in your opinion, the most broken Pokémon ever allowed in OU? This can include mega evolutions and the choice(s) can be from either the 4th, 5th, or 6th generation. What made them that broken to you?
M-Kanga, M-Gar, Skymin, Gen 4 sand veil Chomp! Insane power and ability to hit through substitutes for M-Kanga; ability to selectively kill Pokémon for M-Gar; hax for both Skymin and Garchomp.
I remember we used to talk a lot about wanting to be big on Smogon back during our RMT days. Now that you're an administrator, known by nearly everyone and have had the chance to experience what it's like to be a figurehead, do you sometimes, like me, ever find yourself wishing you were just a "regular user" again? Why or why not?
Definitely, sometimes I miss our laddering sessions as regular users on Shoddy. It's probably because we could truly enjoy the game back then, we had no responsibilties and could just play for fun.
Your response to the people who claim you don't play this game?
I've got more suspect reqs than most of these people. Besides, I don't need to prove myself in front of anyone. If people want to think that I don't play, then so be it. I don't exactly care.
2. Do you find me annoying? (Why or why not?)
Sometimes, especially when you posted pictures of your dick in the skype convo we were both in...
3. Can you beat RODAN in a fair randombattle bo3?
Once I beat chaos, so I can probably beat anyone!
4. Do you miss PO user skarmpiss and his DDoS attacks? Did you ever find out what was his Smogon forum's account? Did you ever find out what his evil plans were?
Heil Skarmpiss! Sometimes he was a funny troll, but no, I don't miss him lol. He had multiple Smogon accounts, you could usually identify them from the anti-Semite comments he used to make in social forums.
5. Who is more cute: Bloo or Solace?
Bloo, undoubtedly.
Why will SSC Napoli never win the Champions League? :^)
I'm afraid we won't.

1) How is it like to be tab's puppet ?
You can only learn from someone like tab. Specifically, you can learn what not to do in life.
2) How does it feel to belong to a community that is now considered worst than the french one, right behind the bazilian one ?
I'm not part of the italian community, if that's what you're referring to. However, I really doubt it's possible to hypothesize a community that's worse than the french one. Come on dude.
3) Did you ask for wins when you played for the suspect test ?
No, lol.
4) Do you consider yourself as swagful as Pino D'Angio (aka the swagest italian, aka the only known italian who isn't related to bunga bunga fiestas) ?
I'm a Smogon admin, I can't think of something more swagful than this.
5) Do they still play this music in italian clubs ?
No clue lol.
6) Could you please sing Ma Quale Idea and record it, for me ?
Please
I'm tone deaf, sorry.
7) Who do you think will win the ST, and why ?
I'll probably root for my nigga Bloo, he deserves it.
8) Same question for OLT ?
Ladder hero Tele.
9) You said that you prefered to be out of tournaments, but you didn't say why :(
Answered this already, it's mainly because I dislike the environment.
10) What is your favorite metagame and why ?
I really like the X/Y (pre-ORAS) metagame. I think that it's an extremely balanced metagame, where every playstyle is almost equally viable.
PS : I know what means ""condicio sine qua non" 9.9
Grats!

How are you able to stay under the radar so well when playing?
Admin privileges and dynamic ips, plus I ladder at dead hours usually.
If I were to visit Italy, name the two best places to sightsee, and the two best places to eat at.
Sorrento and the Amalfi coast, where I live, are beautiful. As for eating, in Naples we have the best pizza in the world.
Favorite to with OLT?
If Tele fails, then Bloo/Tesung are my picks.
Do you forgive me for the amount of questions I've asked you?
I don't mind people who ask questions, I just wish I had more time to answer them all.
Will you ever evolve?
Nope.
I'm interested in some of your anti-ban philosophies that you stated.

Would you have unbanned Aegislash in late XY seeing as just how good the metagame was at the end (considered by many to be one of the best metagames, diverse, no overpowering threats)? I've talked to many people who were anti-ban at the time of the test but figured out that its ban ultimately resulted in a better metagame.
Yes, I would have probably unbanned it. That's probably cause I never considered Aegislash an "overpowered threat".
Would you unban Aegislash now? What do other council members think?
I would be open to test it again, not right now though. Everyone who was involved in the Aegislash vote knows that the outcome of the vote was severely influenced by a certain lobby... However, we have more pressing issues right now and we need the metagame to stabilize before potentially reintroducing new Pokémon.
You stated that there is bad PR when Pokemon like Aegislash and BW Landorus-I are banned. Would you ever account something like this into your vote or thought process during the suspect?
I'm a political leader, it's my duty to take into account the PR aspect of any given ban/unban.
How does one transition from being just a mediocre ladder player (like 1700-1900 range, in XY) to being a tournament player? Where should I start, and how do what kind of tournaments should I try getting into? Where would be the best place to find tours to join?
I'm really not the person to ask this kind of question to as I'm not into tournaments.
Do you think there will ever be a point where people will have to call it quits and decide that Pokemon is an unplayable game—in terms of competitive battling—given there are so many new additions to the metagame with every generation, and team matchup will undoubtedly become more and more of a factor in competitive battles?
I'm honestly not sure about that. What I'm sure, instead, is that the match up component of the game is doomed to become more and more decisive in future generations of Pokémon games.
When was your favorite era of RMT?
The Gen 4 one, I'm often nostalgic about those times.

Do you think there's any truth to the claim that RMT fades in and out of relevance? I know I sometimes feel this way when the only threads we get in RMT are mediocre teams, and while I realize the purpose of the forum is to improve said mediocre teams rather than showcase good ones, I do sometimes miss the old days when a good team would be posted every few days.
The general quality of the threads is directly proportional to the size of the community. More new and inexperienced users inevitably mean more and more subpar RMTs.

Because you've played DPP, BW, and XY: which generation do you prefer? I was not around during DPP so I believe I'm mediocre at it, but I hold the unpopular opinion that team matchup is still an important factor in DPP, and I think team preview actually was a huge benefit for competitive Pokemon as a whole.
I used to like DPP, until its latest stages with those boring F/W/G cores. I probably like XY more though, there's more variety and team choices. Team match up will always be a deciding factor in Pokémon.

Do you think nerfing weather (specifically rain and sun) as opposed to banning it was the right call in BW? I personally preferred keeping weather, but I definitely see merit within the opposing argument (specifically team matchup-related arguments).
I used to say that "weather was Gen 5" and I've adamantly defended the weather-centric Gen 5 metagame. I kinda liked Gen 5, though I can also see why people wanted to ban weather.

n_n

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've always been confused about your position in the site's leadership staff. You're OU forum leader while Aldaron is the OU tier leader. Does that mean you're about equal with different duties or am I just misinterpreting this? Your forum title always came across to me as "dude in charge of everything tier related" ("Líder máximo" makes me think "maximum leader"), but then again I don't know shit about Latin/Italian.

Last edited:

haunter

Banned deucer.
What's your favorite non-OU tier (if you even play another tier)? Do you play any Other Metagames?
I used to play Ubers in Gen 5, but I haven't played a single game this Gen. I suppose Random Battles and CC 1vs1 are my favourite tiers next to OU.
he would turn himself into an avacado dumbass.

Haunter will there be any suspects/bans after salamence? atm everything seems balanced.
Probably 1-2 more suspect tests, but I'm not too sure about it.
if there was one food you had to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be other than avocados
Pasta, undoubtedly.
Do you know Dr. Ciel?
Yes, I do. Although his/her real identity is a mystery.
Have you had any serious thoughts or discussions about the future of the metagame, in gens 7, 8, 9...n, regarding policy? Power creep will always be a thing, the size of tiers is gonna increase, the number of tiers is gonna have to increase with it, matchups become more important (as you've said) and, eventually, (at infinity) there'll be a Pokemon to fill every niche...
We don't even know if we'll have Gen 7 to begin with, discussing about future policies about new potential games makes little sense to me.
...any thoughts then on how extensible Smogon's current policies are, and how applicable they'll be when OU is eventually made up of an insanely large number of similarly viable Pokemon (for arguments sake, 200 pokemon in gen 32) and a shedload of completely unsimilar broken threats waiting to be banned? (32 gens worth of megas and borked legendaries a la Genesect) :?
Same as above. However, I think that our general philosophy of only banning what's blatantly overpowered/uncompetitive will stay the same even in future generations. Also, I doubt I'll still be involved in competitive Pokémon in a future, potential, Gen 32 lol.
((Also how do you manage to keep all of your posts sounding really mature and measured when so many of the people you have to write to are being stupid about policies?))
I try my best and I usually tend to ignore extremely ignorant posts. My concubine, ginganinja, deals with those.
Because you didn't mention me as friend, does that mean you consider me MORE than a friend?
Of course, you are my bitch.
I've always been confused about your position in the site's leadership staff. You're OU forum leader while Aldaron is the OU tier leader. Does that mean you're about equal with different duties or am I just misinterpreting this?
Aldaron, McMeghan, MDragon, gr8astard and myself are all leaders of the OU tier. I just happen to be the head of this forum (as in, I'm in charge of how the forum is run, appoint moderators, approve threads etc.).
Your forum title always came across to me as "dude in charge of everything tier related" ("Líder máximo" makes me think "maximum leader"), but then again I don't know shit about Latin/Italian.
That's actually Spanish and means something like "supreme commander". It's the nickname people use to refer to Fidel Castro.

What do you think about the speed creep causing "what defines fast" to be completely changing throughout eras? Such as 108 speed being considered fast in DPP but now with most teams having 1 or 2 Pokemon with 120+ Base Speed with a lot of power (i.e Mega Sceptile), Pokemon like Latios are considered to have "moderate speed" and thus drastically (and imo, unhealthy) changing what would previously be considered an amazing speed tier.

do you remember when you named me as your favorite team rater for my dedication in like your well circa 2011, despite the stupid shit my 15 year old self did? i do. it warmed my heart :heart:

free dpp latias!!!

favorite song/album/band/whatever musical?!?!

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Who pays for drinks/food this time around? I'll be in Florence in June, not sure how long.

How big of an inspiration for you have I been since you joining the site?

Have you ever eaten Dog? Would you try it? What would convince you to try it?

Fav Smogirl?

doesn't "Líder máximo" mean "Commander in chief" in Italian?

From what I gathered, Aegislash was banned not because he was overpowered, but that he made it less versataile - in other words, the # of mons he reduced the viability of is greater than the # of mons he increased the viability of, and to a greater extent. Also for the fact there was no real reason NOT to run him. (at any rate, that's my opinion zzz) Is this, more or less, your opinion, with the exception that you don't think that was enough to ban him? that seems to be what I'm getting.

When will The Smog come out with a "Cooking with Haunter" entertainment article? I mean, you're italian - you must know how to cook, right?

haunter

Banned deucer.
Does that mean that smogon is a dictatorship ?
More like that I'm an aspiring dictator eheh.
What do you think about the speed creep causing "what defines fast" to be completely changing throughout eras? Such as 108 speed being considered fast in DPP but now with most teams having 1 or 2 Pokemon with 120+ Base Speed with a lot of power (i.e Mega Sceptile), Pokemon like Latios are considered to have "moderate speed" and thus drastically (and imo, unhealthy) changing what would previously be considered an amazing speed tier.
In a metagame where offense is the dominant playstyle, speed creeping your opponent is vital. Unless you're using trick room, of course. I still remember when base 100 Spe Pokémon like Salamence and Jirachi were considered fast. It's kind of funny how nowadays stuff like Terrakion, Infernape etc. are considered moderately fast. We'll probably come to the point were base 110 Spe Pokémon will be considered slow.
do you remember when you named me as your favorite team rater for my dedication in like your well circa 2011, despite the stupid shit my 15 year old self did? i do. it warmed my heart :heart:
Yes, I do. You were an enfant prodige, so to say.
free dpp latias!!!
Full support!
favorite song/album/band/whatever musical?!?!
I'm not really into music. The only genre I listen to is "pop" though. I like authors like Calvin Harris, Avicii and the likes.
Who pays for drinks/food this time around? I'll be in Florence in June, not sure how long.
We've already met in Florence if my memory serves me right... Let's meet in Naples next time, I'll offer you a pizza.
How big of an inspiration for you have I been since you joining the site?
You're a role model, the user every smogoner would want to be.
Have you ever eaten Dog? Would you try it? What would convince you to try it?
Never! As I said, I'm an animalist. I don't eat any animal.
Fav Smogirl?
ginganinja , obviously.
Which currently inactive user do you want to return to Smogon the most?
Legacy Raider, undoubtedly. Great user and contributor and good friend of mine.
doesn't "Líder máximo" mean "Commander in chief" in Italian?
Something along the lines of "supreme commander", although it's not Italian, but Spanish.

From what I gathered, Aegislash was banned not because he was overpowered, but that he made it less versataile - in other words, the # of mons he reduced the viability of is greater than the # of mons he increased the viability of, and to a greater extent. Also for the fact there was no real reason NOT to run him. (at any rate, that's my opinion zzz) Is this, more or less, your opinion, with the exception that you don't think that was enough to ban him? that seems to be what I'm getting.
As I said, I never agreed with the ban of Aegislash. I think it did more good than harm to the metagame. I've read several laughable pro-ban arguments in regards to Aegislash (the "it promotes lazy team building" was probably the funniest) and even the good ones weren't enough, in my opinion, to support a ban. However, this is not the time nor the place to discuss its status again.

When will The Smog come out with a "Cooking with Haunter" entertainment article? I mean, you're italian - you must know how to cook, right?
I can cook a few basic recipes. I guess it's an idea you can suggest to the leaders of The Smog lol.

To add on to Harsha, what impact do you think more team slots would make, and whether or not it would improve the game, specifically relating to matchup?

Approximately how many hand gestures do you use in an average conversation?

If/when Pokemon runs out of steam and is discontinued, do you feel Smogon will still continue its efforts in creating and balancing a competitive pokemon format?

do u think all those years of being a yes-man were worth it to become a fat cat?

how's rafa going?

are u stubborn?

would eo ut mortus be a good barrister?

what is making u stick around? u don't really seem to hold an interest in playing or following tournaments, nor do u have any real interest in the social forums. u are not one of those people who just has nothing better to do, as by all accounts u are a very successful and busy man. u only really have a couple of real close friends with who u could easily maintain contact with over another medium. just curious as to what motivates u & why u put so much time into moderating a stagnating site which primarily focuses on things u seem not really interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)