Other OU Player of the Week #7: Haunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunter

Banned deucer.
To add on to Harsha, what impact do you think more team slots would make, and whether or not it would improve the game, specifically relating to matchup?
This is extreme theorymon. I think one more slot would give people the possibility to better prepare for more threats, probably stall would benefit from it more than every other style.
Are smogon ruining the metagame?
I think we've achieved a very balanced metagame in XY and with a very limited number of bans.
Will you please unban Mega Kangaskhan? According to this wonderful and known player:
Of course. Since we're at it, we might also unban Rayquaza, since it can be revenge killed and has only base 95 Speed.
Ok, serious question: What are your thoughts on Mega Audino? Do you think it has uses?
Honestly, no. I see no reason to use it over Clefable and you can use your mega slot for so much better Pokémon.
Approximately how many hand gestures do you use in an average conversation?
I use gestures only when I'm nervous.
If/when Pokemon runs out of steam and is discontinued, do you feel Smogon will still continue its efforts in creating and balancing a competitive pokemon format?
Yes, at least for a few years. Then the game (and hence Smogon) would inevitably die.
do u think all those years of being a yes-man were worth it to become a fat cat?
Yeah, I like being a fat cat.
how's rafa going?
I like him and his winning mentality, however we lack quality in midfield, so I doubt we'll be able to win anything better than a Coppa Italia.
are u stubborn?
I am, especially when I'm convinced I'm in the right.
would eo ut mortus be a good barrister?
Probably, if given a legal culture.
what is making u stick around? u don't really seem to hold an interest in playing or following tournaments, nor do u have any real interest in the social forums. u are not one of those people who just has nothing better to do, as by all accounts u are a very successful and busy man. u only really have a couple of real close friends with who u could easily maintain contact with over another medium. just curious as to what motivates u & why u put so much time into moderating a stagnating site which primarily focuses on things u seem not really interested in.
This is quite inaccurate. Smogon is not a stagnating site to begin with. We're still the Gotha of competitive Pokémon and, so far, every site that has tried to antagonize us has failed miserably. Secondly, I do actually have a lot of friends on both Smogon and PS!. Smogon has been my home for so long and I love being part of the community. Also, contrary to popular belief, I still play the game and therefore have interest in trying to improve the OU meta. I don't play tournaments and don't exactly follow most of them (outside of WCoP/OLT) but I enjoy watching high level games and I'm up to date with metagame trends etc. In the end, as long as I have the time to be even just barely active, I will stick around.

Weird question, but what do you think of using lower teir Pokemon in OU? Should they stay in their place at all times? By lower teir, I mean below UU as well, and not those with particular niches.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Would you mind making a thread listing all the OU forum staff that's stickied to the front page? I'd really appreciate knowing who the mods are. :)

I've always been curious, and it's probably super obvious and I just missed something, but where did the 100% Avocado CT come from?
Also, if you had to unban one Uber, who would it be? (The Arceus forms don't count. All Arceus forms would count as one Pokémon.)
And : Favorite Mega Pokémon? (Design wise)
Sorry for all the questions. Curiousity killed the cat.

haunter

Banned deucer.
If an event Glalie with ExtremeSpeed were to be released tomorrow would you unban Mega Salamence? :^)
Actually Glalie has Ice Shard, but it can't really switch into Salamence.
Weird question, but what do you think of using lower teir Pokemon in OU? Should they stay in their place at all times? By lower teir, I mean below UU as well, and not those with particular niches.
There are some lower tier Pokémon that are absoultely viable in OU. Raikou, Jirachi, Hippowdon, Aerodactyl, Celebi etc. are all pretty good in OU. For instance, Assault Vest Raikou is excellent for volt-turn cores.
Would you mind making a thread listing all the OU forum staff that's stickied to the front page? I'd really appreciate knowing who the mods are. :)
They're already there, in the rules thread.
Just wanna say BIG FAN!
Thank you!
I've always been curious, and it's probably super obvious and I just missed something, but where did the 100% Avocado CT come from?
It's a joke, in italian lawyer is "avvocato", hence the prank "avocado". I'm a lawyer irl.
Also, if you had to unban one Uber, who would it be? (The Arceus forms don't count. All Arceus forms would count as one Pokémon.)
I think having something like Giratina in OU would be funny. Realistically, though, I'd unban Aegislash, cause I think it should not have been banned in the first place.
And : Favorite Mega Pokémon? (Design wise)
Sorry for all the questions. Curiousity killed the cat.
Rayquaza and its mega evolution are great aestetically.
Very annoying user.
Thoughts on Test2017's fetish for ducks?
He should lose some weight and he knows it :) Test is a good boy and a good friend of mine.
How much do I have to pay for a Greninja ban? Each man has his price
We can discuss about that, make me an offer I can't reject ;)

Could you confirm me that you're the owner of the private room "Gay Jews" on Showdown?
No, Reverb is.
Blondes or brunettes?
Why not both?!?
Favourite pokemon to use in pre-ORAS OU? Terrible question, i know :[
AV Azumarill, undoubtedly.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Actually Glalie has Ice Shard, but it can't really switch into Salamence.

There are some lower tier Pokémon that are absoultely viable in OU. Raikou, Jirachi, Hippowdon, Aerodactyl, Celebi etc. are all pretty good in OU. For instance, Assault Vest Raikou is excellent for volt-turn cores.

They're already there, in the rules thread.

Thank you!

It's a joke, in italian lawyer is "avvocato", hence the prank "avocado". I'm a lawyer irl.
I think having something like Giratina in OU would be funny. Realistically, though, I'd unban Aegislash, cause I think it should not have been banned in the first place.
Rayquaza and its mega evolution are great aestetically.
Very annoying user.
He should lose some weight and he knows it :) Test is a good boy and a good friend of mine.
We can discuss about that, make me an offer I can't reject ;)
No, Reverb is.

Why not both?!?

AV Azumarill, undoubtedly.
Failed a spot check there; gg me.

You didn't answer my other question about your favorite Battle Music. :/

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do you find Greninja overpowered? Why or why not?

(I know I asked you in the interview, but ORAS is out now so yeah)

What are your thoughts on M-Gallade and M-Sableye?
Whats your favorite pokemon move (In-game animation wise?)?
What other video games do you play?
Do you think there will be a 3D remake of every region already not in 3D :X? (Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova)
Which ORAS megas do you think didn't need a mega, or are crap?
Why do you like Haunter over Gengar?
I like Haunter better than Gengar 2.
What are your fav pokemon from every tier?

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
You said multiple times that you heavily disagree with the Aegislash ban; what, in your opinion, makes a Pokemon broken? Do you still heavily use the old DPP "characteristics" when deciding whether something is broken for yourself?

You also said that Smogon should only ban "blatantly broken or uncompetitive Pokemon". Could you ever see a Pokemon as broken because it makes a metagame unfun to play without someone being able to make a case for it being banned or without there being a majority to ban it? While you disagreed with the Aegislash ban, you still admitted that the metagame we achieved is one of the most balanced and fun XY metagames we ever had. Hence, relating to the first part of this question, do you think Aegislash would make for an even more enjoyable metagame? If not, does the banning philosophy you follow still prefer a metagame with Aegislash over one without it? (For the record, I do think that Aegislash was broken and that a metagame without it is more enjoyable).

Sorry for the lengthy question, articulating my exact thoughts proved to be more difficult than expected.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Do you find Greninja overpowered? Why or why not?

(I know I asked you in the interview, but ORAS is out now so yeah)
As of right now, no. Sure it got the tools to get past some of its most common checks, but it's an extremely frail Pokémon that has hard times switching in and that can be revenge killed with ease. I don't know, but if I had to vote on it right now, I'd vote to not ban it.
Failed a spot check there; gg me.

You didn't answer my other question about your favorite Battle Music. :/
!!!
What are your thoughts on M-Gallade and M-Sableye?
I have little experience with M-Sableye but a lot of people ask me to bring it up for a suspect test. I'm gonna look at it closer in the next weeks. Mega Gallade is excellent, that Speed boost makes it a formidable sweeper. Shame it got a pretty useless ability.
Whats your favorite pokemon move (In-game animation wise?)?
Not really an in-game player anymore, but I always liked Draco Meteor's animation.
What other video games do you play?
Occasionally some FPS like Far Cry.
Do you think there will be a 3D remake of every region already not in 3D :X? (Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova)
Probably. Game Freak seems out of ideas lol.
Which ORAS megas do you think didn't need a mega, or are crap?
I like the concept behind mega evolutions, although I would have preferred if Game Freak focused more on mediocre Pokémon like Beedrill and Altaria, rather than on already excellent ones like Gengar and Lucario.
Why do you like Haunter over Gengar?
I always liked its design.
I like Haunter better than Gengar 2.
You have good taste
What are your fav pokemon from every tier?
I don't play other tiers, so I can't really answer this one. Azumarill has been my favourite Pokémon in OU this Generation.
You said multiple times that you heavily disagree with the Aegislash ban; what, in your opinion, makes a Pokemon broken? Do you still heavily use the old DPP "characteristics" when deciding whether something is broken for yourself?
As an old school player, the old D/P/Pt Uber characteristics are still stuck in my mind and they are the first parameters I use to determine whether something is broken or not. However, I also value other aspects, such as centralization and its effects on team building, uncompetitiveness etc.

You also said that Smogon should only ban "blatantly broken or uncompetitive Pokemon". Could you ever see a Pokemon as broken because it makes a metagame unfun to play without someone being able to make a case for it being banned or without there being a majority to ban it?
Definitely a possibility, considering that tiering thoughts are heavily influenced by personal ideas of what constitutes an ideal metagame.
While you disagreed with the Aegislash ban, you still admitted that the metagame we achieved is one of the most balanced and fun XY metagames we ever had. Hence, relating to the first part of this question, do you think Aegislash would make for an even more enjoyable metagame? If not, does the banning philosophy you follow still prefer a metagame with Aegislash over one without it? (For the record, I do think that Aegislash was broken and that a metagame without it is more enjoyable).
I'm honestly not sure if unbanning Aegislash would give us a better or a worse metagame, however I can say that, in my opinion, Aegislash didn't fulfill any of the Uber charachteristics, nor it was uncompetitive or centralizing to the degree that it had to be removed from the metagame. Aegislash is definitely a great Pokémon, probably the only one that can fill both defensive and offensive roles at the same time in any give team. Aegislash is very versatile and has tons of utilities, but I never thought it was too much for the tier to handle. I also positively valued its ability to check a lot of threats.

With that being said, I also admit that King's Shield 50/50 (or rather 60/40, as I used to say) bullshit was definitely detrimental to the competitive scene. I'm sure that if Stance Change activated even on moves such as Protect, we could have easily banned King's Shield and kept Aegislash in OU.

Sorry for the lengthy question, articulating my exact thoughts proved to be more difficult than expected.
That's totally fine, thanks for posting.
Actually Haunter prefers the redheads.
Yeah baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)