Metagame np: Stage 3 - 9(9) Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I think Dragalge is one of the more contested suspects here because some of the suspects aren't even suspects anymore, they're blantent criminals lol so I'm gonna talk more about Galge.

If only argument you heard for keeping Galge is 'poison type overload makes Galge good, lets see him in a meta without suspects' (though that's also a completely valid reasoning the first place) let me present another case.

Dragalge can be prepared against, and it does not nullify all Grass and Poison types. People will start running Sleep Powder on Vileplume, Tangela, Roselia, etc. all should, as well. Now you can't just switch in Dragalge directly like a dumbo because it's very killable when it's not doing tons of damage to literally everything. You need to switch around and predict when I'm gonna Sleep Powder, and that means counterplay! Lilligant already run Sleep Powder and you always had to watch out for that anyways, especially running an offensive Galge. Faster Pokemon such as Sceptile will run SubSeed, which makes Dragalge suffer, and because of Sub spamming with no hp loss, Galge's forced to Sludge Bomb instead, which is a lot easier to switch in to. Exeggutor has Psychic-STAB to nail Dragalge, and its Subseed set is also completely viable. As for the Poison issue: people are running D-bond Qwilfish and other Poison-types, and I see no reason why people will stop running them, Garbodor still outspeeds and gets 2 layers of Spikes on the switch to Dragalge, and let's be honest here, no one really used other Poison-types anyways. Togetic on balanced teams already ran Baton Pass, even on non-boosting sets, because it is a general momentum loser and hard-hitters looking for a free switch-in like Dragalge, is exactly what that move is supposed to stop on pivot Togetic. If all else fails, after Dragalge kills something it's stuck at -2, so it can be exploited.

They'll be less useful. Of course it will be less useful we're talking about something that will still stay at the top of NU even if metagame changes happen. But NU with Dragalge is a possibility, unlike NU with Mega Altaria.

edit: also, a case for a Dragalge ban could be made for the fact that without the 2 Fairies you can run Specs much easier and destroy everything, so it might be even harder to check Dragalge after all the blatent suspects are removed. Either way, I just want a good discussion :^)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he was referring to a -2 Draco meteor, but you are correct in saying that most steel types take a huge hit from it.
I was talking about eating a -2 Draco or a locked in Sludge Bomb. Very rarely would a steel type dead switch into drag anyways fearing Focus Blast lol.

Yeah wellllll I'm just gonna leave some thoughts here on my take of things:

Altarianite: This thing gets way too many setup oppurtunities, if you run something like guts yama to bait le weezings, it's easy pickings from there for this dragon. Overall it was just waiting to be banned.

Dragalge: Now it's probably the most controversial mon. It's similar to other pokemon we know, such as exeggutor or typhlosion with the way it can come in and drop a nuke and basically something dies if predicted correctly. Difference with dragalge and the other mentioned 2 though are that it has amazing typing and bulk so that it can come in on these mons and drop multiple nukes during a game. Every time they bring in their weezing it's a 50/50 on whether to double or not so i'd like to say that it's not the same with how it works exactly. It got a considerable power boost which makes yama not as good when checking it (was my go-to check before) however now it's looking dim. It has such raw power + typing that it creates an almost guaranteed kill every game you play and is very easy to synergise and build with. If it stays in the tier, the tier will simply shape into a more hyper offensive tier with 5/6 mons on their team being able to outspeed dragalge and will eventually shape the meta so that balance + stall + semi-stall will be forced out of the tier and hence will become extremely centralizing. If raw power + typing + bulk + versatility + centralizing qualities doesn't define this as a mon that perhaps should go from NU, then I'd care to disagree. Overall: Ban.

Lopunnite: Well i think this thing from personal experience has checks and counters, obviously they're around. However the fact it just destroys offense and everything else that isn't a max defense musharna / uxie is just too much for the meta. I'd be very much for banning.

Slurpuff: This thing is the most dangerous thing in the meta... BY FAR. If it gets a belly drum off, you're fucked. That's literally it now since it has reliable powerful as fuck recovery once you've set up or even before. Not going to say much more. Ban.

Sceptilite: Now everyone will look at this post and thing I'm "that" guy by thinking that all these mons should go, but it's true, mega sceptile should also go in my opinion. It lost checks and counters in dragalge, vileplume, bulky physically defensive poison types and has since been a pain to play against when team building and when playing. It has potential to 6-0 almost every team if given setup oppurtunity for it's SD variant and if you mispredict and switch in your special wall i.e metang or some sort and it is physical, you're fecked. People argue that it's lost power, which it has from giga drains plus leaf storm but it has STAB dragon pulse + dragon claws which make up for it much more imho. The type changing is what has convinced me purely because it's got 2 powerful stab options with giga + pulse along with potential leaf storm nukes and the ability to go mixed. It does have checks though such as mega-audino and hariyama, NO counters however. Every mon in NU has a counter but for sceptile + altaria etc. It's extremely versatile which means no mons can be your "sceptile counter" in team building. And with that being said, there are few sceptile checks too. It may have lost power but it gained stab + base speed, i think it's also too much for a tier like NU, so I'm going to say we should ban.

Last edited:
Sceptilite: Now everyone will look at this post and thing I'm "that" guy by thinking that all these mons should go, but it's true, mega sceptile should also go in my opinion. It lost checks and counters in dragalge, vileplume, bulky physically defensive poison types and has since been a pain to play against when team building and when playing. It has potential to 6-0 almost every team if given setup oppurtunity for it's SD variant and if you mispredict and switch in your special wall i.e metang or some sort and it is physical, you're fecked. People argue that it's lost power, which it has from giga drains plus leaf storm but it has STAB dragon pulse + dragon claws which make up for it much more imho. The type changing is what has convinced me purely because it's got 2 powerful stab options with giga + pulse along with potential leaf storm nukes and the ability to go mixed. It does have checks though such as mega-audino and hariyama, NO counters however. Every mon in NU has a counter but for sceptile + altaria etc. It's extremely versatile which means no mons can be your "sceptile counter" in team building. And with that being said, there are few sceptile checks too. It may have lost power but it gained stab + base speed, i think it's also too much for a tier like NU, so I'm going to say we should ban.
Saying sceptile has no counters is kind of an exaggeration when togetic just walls it completely unless theyre running iron tail lol

Saying sceptile has no counters is kind of an exaggeration when togetic just walls it completely unless theyre running iron tail lol
I forgot about togetic but in all honesty it's not that relevant >.>

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really don't have much time today to make a thorough post, but I wanted to clarify something important that a few people have used as discussion points in their posts. We are having this suspect discussion from the perspective of today's metagame, not "if/when x is banned...". For example, Mega Sceptile has a near-counter in many scenarios in Mega Altaria. While it's important to consider that not every team can afford to run Mega Altaria and that being forced to run it can be considered "overcentralizing" for a single threat, please don't make arguments based on a metagame that doesn't currently exist ("if Mega Altaria gets banned, Mega Sceptile will be way too good b/c no more good answers so we should ban it", and arguments in the same vein). Other examples are like talking about whether or not Dragalge will be as good in the future - when we're less reliant on bulky Pokemon to handle other suspected threats - when we don't have an actual metagame to back up that reasoning.

Please keep in mind that this is a side effect of having to deal with so many dramatic changes at once, and trying to handle them all quickly. If we were to ban Dragalge to BL3 in this quickban suspect vote, it would get a chance to be retested in a neutral metagame later on to determine whether it should be BL3 or return to NU. I ask the council members especially to not make these important decisions based on conjecture and theorymon of metagames that currently aren't real. Because we're focusing purely on the current metagame, I am open to allowing Pokemon deemed "not broken" in this test to be suspected again later on if there is sufficient reasoning that its impact on the meta has changed.

tl;dr: don't post about "if x gets banned, y will be a lot better", and we will be open to retesting the ones deemed NU given sufficient proof that we should retest them

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I forgot about togetic but in all honesty it's not that relevant >.>
It's very relevant in ORAS, potentially more than ever before. Nasty pass is a super viable set that I've been testing around in tandem with Empidge, M-Scep, and even Dragalge, as it turns ordinary threats into game-ending machines. Not to mention the defensive set gained a lot more important switch-ins: Togetic takes on new threats such as Pangoro, Kecleon, M-Sceptile, and M-Lopunny.

Saying that it's not relevant shows a rather large ignorance on your behalf; gotta respect the toge, man :[

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
So I've had more time to test Mega Lopunny, and let me be the first to say that I'm flat out wrong about Mega Lopunny being limited in options.

First I will look objectively at Mega Lopunny, and compare its power to fellow Scrappy user Kangaskhan:
252 Atk Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Spinda: 261-307 (80.5 - 94.7%)
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Spinda: 262-309 (80.8 - 95.3%)
For starters, it approaches Kangaskhan's damage output with a more spammable attack, and that is only the second strongest move in its arsenal. On the surface level, Mega Lopunny is akin to Kangaskhan with ridiculously powerful Fighting STAB, much better speed, and the freedom to run two moves of its choice, unlike Kangaskhan. That already looks troubling as bulky Rock-types and Steel-types such as Rhydon and Ferroseed won't be able to answer the powerful Scrappy assaults that they so comfortably took before, but it's not as if Kangaskhan itself was unwallable with non-Normal resists; I have suggested plenty of Pokemon that can respond to Mega Lopunny in prior posts that could've easily been used to take on Kangaskhan as well.

Here's where the problem begins: I've underestimated just how much Mega Lopunny can do with 2 free moveslots. This makes Mega Lopunny super customisable, and while Mega Lopunny's movepool do little to help it defeat its checks / counters directly, they can certainly allow it to function very well in many various roles. Some of the noteworthy moves include:
- Fake Out, which can help Mega Lopunny achieve KOes it otherwise wouldn't have
- Drain Punch, gives it a reliable Fighting attack to use, as well as making it harder to wear down
- Power-Up Punch, to facilitate sweeping or efficient Baton Passing while switching away from counters
- Substitute, to block status and also allow efficient switches via Baton Pass away from counters
- Baton Pass, meshes well with either PuP or Sub, or even used as dry Pass to catch counters on the switch
- Healing Wish, completely refreshes a teammate, "cheats the system" by essentially allowing an extra Pokemon to be used to make up for the Mega slot :P

What makes these moves so potent on Mega Lopunny is that Mega Lopunny possesses both the offensive presence and speed to easily make use of these, and also makes it much trickier to stop as a result.

Sure, Mega Lopunny seems, at the very least, somewhat manageable by itself, but when combined with how good of a team player it is and how easily it can provide offensive support to its teammates (compounded by the fact that how it does so is not inherently obvious), I can see why people are crying for its removal. Now that I look at it, I'm probably lucky I didn't get steamrolled by someone who built a good team around Mega Lopunny by now, or simply didn't have the right moves to fully support its teammates (elemental punches? Toxic? Really??).

Cased

Banned deucer.
I can't believe I read half of the things I've read lol... It looks pretty clear that Lopunnite / Altarianite / Slurpuff are going to be banned and for obviously good reason, and every near decent point has been brought up buuuuuut... yeah, Drain Punch hitting Steels IS important because alongside taking out Probopass / Ferroseed / Klinklang / Rhydons (Even if you could take out Ferro with Flamethrower... didn't even OHKO depending on the spread lo!l, Klinklang taking 50% and killing it, and Drain Punch doing about 70% minimum to normal Evio Rhydon) You're gaining a move that almost gives perfect coverage to the extent where the ONLY option in beating it are mediocre Poison-types that are even almost OHKO'd by a Return. Due to Slurpuff having numerous checks and counters before gaining Drain Punch is the reason I didn't believe it was broken, but now it's clear that Slurpuff is a bit much because Drain Punch does get rid of a fair amount of the checks that normally were able to take on Slurpuff even at +6. Slurpuff's ability to set-up was always overestimated but I believe it does have a fair amount of set-up opportunities through experience. I'd like to see it banned.

That being said...

Sceptilite: Pretty clear Mega Sceptile is definitely a powerful Pokemon, and seems to have caused a fair amount of arguments regarding whether it's broken or not. The Dragon-type (imo) is an above average gift, it increases Mega Sceptile's ability to switch-in to moves it normally does, and now its immunity to Electric-type gives it a Special Attack boost, a step up from a 4x resist, and allows it to become immune to Thunder Wave which is definitely a plus. Gaining Dragon-type also gives it STAB on Dragon Pulse, giving it the ability to 2hko standard Vileplume after rocks, and even 2hkos Max HP and SpD Dragalge, something not a lot of Pokemon can brag about. Leaf Storm / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast / Giga Drain is the usual spread from my experience / usage, and I definitely believe it is the best set. Blazing Speed allows it to even outpace a few common Scarfers, mainly Scarf Mesprit, unable to outpace with U-Turn and has to take a Leaf Storm, which a Scarf Mesprit clearly does not do well (or at all). Of course things like the aforementioned Assault Vest Hariyama, Evio Togetic (not that good but like the guy above me stated, still should be taken into consideration) and Metang / Mega Audino. And that's all without mentioning the Swords Dance set that can lure in AV Hariyama, Metang, and other SpD things that are able to take a hit. +2 Leaf Blade does about 40-46% to Mega Audino, so after Rocks it's a roll for a 2hko. I think it's currently a bit too much for the tier.

Dragalge: Insanely powerful, as soon as I found about Adaptability Dragalge I start testing/showing all my friends the power it beholds. Draco Meteor is insane, and being coupled with a move in Focus Blast (does it hit lol) and Hydro Pump if you wanna hit Steelix with a better chance of hitting and dgaf about Ferroseed because seriously it's one of the most overrated things in the tier currently. But yeah, definitely one of the best wallbreakers I've seen in NU for a while, although its Speed is SERIOUSLY lacking, and its definitely something that holds it back, the ability for Dragalge to switch-in is pretty large, although it gets worn down easily, there's not much in the tier that can come in on a Specs Draco or Sludge or Focus Blast. But then there comes prediction into play if you use that, since locking yourself into a Draco / Sludge / Focus can be kinda bad since those all of immunities in the current tier by Pokemon who are A- and better that can set-up and definitely do damage. There are items like Draco Plate that can bluff the choiced item but doesn't allow it to hit as hard as usual. Right now I'd say it's an extreme top tier Pokemon and I'm definitely subjected to change my opinion if I play with it more and believe it's broken but for now, I'd say it should stay.

I'd like for more people to discuss Mega Glalie and Mega Beedrill (seriously) instead of talking about Pokemon that are obviously getting banned lol

Last edited:

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd like for more people to discuss Mega Glalie and Mega Beedrill (seriously) instead of talking about Pokemon that are obviously getting banned lol
what's with the super negative nancy attitude here huh punk?? in all seriousness, we're talking about those five pokemon alone right now in this suspect test (that spans only the next few days), and as such i would very much like all discussion to be focused on them. you're my bro and i know you're very familiar with NU, but i don't really care if you or anyone else out there thinks that it's not worth talking about them because they're "obviously getting banned" - the whole point of having this suspect test is to explore all facets of these pokemon and discuss all of them thoroughly. your reaction is 100% why i'm not allowing anyone to send in votes until close to deadline; even if you're firmly convinced that things are broken, it's silly to refute discussion on them especially when they've been suspects for all of like 15 hours.

glalie and beedrill and other metagame discussion can hold their horses until we're finished with this suspect test.

(rest of your post is on point)

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ok yeah I tried Special M-Sceptile and also watched other people use it and god damn M-Sceptile is a god. nothing on offensive teams beat it unless you have a Ice-type move or a Choice Scarf user able to outspeed it and KO. I agree with everything Cased said about Sceptile.

(yes i know this is short, but i refuse to repeat what everybody already said about it!)

also ye people needs to stop sleeping on M-Glalie

nothing on offensive teams beat it unless you have a Ice-type move or a Choice Scarf user able to outspeed it and KO.
What? I've been switching Beedrill into Mega-Sceptile no problem and that's saying something when Beedrill has like zero bulk. Every single time without fail I switch in Beedrill it gets hit with Giga Drain, then next turn Sceptile goes first with Dragon Pulse leaving me with a decent amount of HP while I proceed to KO.

What? I've been switching Beedrill into Mega-Sceptile no problem and that's saying something when Beedrill has like zero bulk. Every single time without fail I switch in Beedrill it gets hit with Giga Drain, then next turn Sceptile goes first with Dragon Pulse leaving me with a decent amount of HP while I proceed to KO.
Predicting is generally an awful argument when talking about dealing with a Pokemon. Beedril isnt a Sceptile switch in as it is swiftly 2hkod by Dragon Pulse and has to win a speed tie to beat it. Not to mention that it can switch in not more than one time especially if SR is up

Predicting is generally an awful argument when talking about dealing with a Pokemon. Beedril isnt a Sceptile switch in as it is swiftly 2hkod by Dragon Pulse and has to win a speed tie to beat it. Not to mention that it can switch in not more than one time especially if SR is up
All I'm saying is if I can do that with Beedrill with 99% success when it has shit bulk then I fail to see how "nothing can deal with it"

Grass/Dragon/Fighting coverage allows for a ton of easy switch ins whether the mon is bulky or not.

And ignoring switch ins for a second, when he says "nothing can deal with this other then scarfers" he also implies that there are no checks, in which case I'm still right about Beedrill.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
All I'm saying is if I can do that with Beedrill with 99% success when it has shit bulk then I fail to see how "nothing can deal with it"

Grass/Dragon/Fighting coverage allows for a ton of easy switch ins whether the mon is bulky or not.

And ignoring switch ins for a second, when he says "nothing can deal with this other then scarfers" he also implies that there are no checks, in which case I'm still right about Beedrill.
Maybe instead of saying it has a ton easy switch ins why don't you list some of them and tell us how they beat mega sceptile, togetic has already been brought up as a hard counter talk about some others.

Dragalge is pretty borked considering it has no safe switch-in bar like eviolite metang like what mon in any tier can really boast that especially when you look at its coverage and the fact that its not weak to rocks meaning that even though its easily revenge killed its also incredibly easy to switch out in to a bulky mon and sponge the hit and wait till you get another free switch in with dragalge which is pretty ez. The fact that it is easily worn down is kind of a moot point seen as how popular healing wish is in this meta with mons like mesprit and lopunny running around so once its been whittled down from rocks and probably willo they can just click healing wish and start all over again. All the bad points about this mon are massively outweighed by the good points and theres literally no reason to not run it on every team atm so I can see it really over centralising the meta. Also I recommend trying it out with focus energy agility pass scyther with a scope lens so you can just spam draco to your hearts content

Maybe instead of saying it has a ton easy switch ins why don't you list some of them and tell us how they beat mega sceptile, togetic has already been brought up as a hard counter talk about some others.
Mega Altaria, AV Muk is a huge hard counter, Togetic.

Those are the hard counters only. But I don't know why you're forcing me to talk about this. He said nothing can beat Sceptile other then scarfers. My point was that's wrong. Beedrill CAN beat Sceptile. Is it a counter? No never said it was. Know what else can beat Sceptile? A hundred other things that don't use scarf.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Those are the hard counters only. But I don't know why you're forcing me to talk about this. He said nothing can beat Sceptile other then scarfers. My point was that's wrong. Beedrill CAN beat Sceptile. Is it a counter? No never said it was. Know what else can beat Sceptile? A hundred other things that don't use scarf.
I mean, mega Sceptile can run earthquake on a SD or mixed set to run right through AV Muk. Weezing is a much better check to physical sets but loses to the standard special sets.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Actually mega altaria isn't a hard counter and neither is muk lol. Neither of them can switch into the physical sceptile sets, and Altaria has to mega evolve before switching in otherwise it just dies lol. And I already said Togetic lol, asked for more than that. Please try to find a counter that isn't togetic.
252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 90-106 (30.9 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 178-210 (61.1 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Muk: 248-292 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Also once again I was sniped because I was taking the time to calc :<

I mean, mega Sceptile can run earthquake on a SD or mixed set to run right through AV Muk. Weezing is a much better check to physical sets but loses to the standard special sets.
Yeah but it can only run one set at a time lol. Why the f'uck should have to counter every possibile set in one? Muk does counter it's special and most common set. Tbh if it feels gimmicky and goes physical a lot more things in the tier deal with it so I wouldn't be worried?

Yeah but it can only run one set at a time lol. Why the f'uck should have to counter every possibile set in one? Muk does counter it's special and most common set. Tbh if it feels gimmicky and goes physical a lot more things in the tier deal with it so I wouldn't be worried?
Because that's what a hard counter is; it handles every set of the thing it should be countering. Muk, Mega Altaria and even Togetic are just checks. Sceptile could realistically run Earthquake for Muk or Iron Tail for Mega Altaria and Togetic.
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 228-270 (72.8 - 86.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 288-340 (81.3 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Ares

Because that's what a hard counter is; it handles every set of the thing it should be countering. Muk, Mega Altaria and even Togetic are just checks. Sceptile could realistically run Earthquake for Muk or Iron Tail for Mega Altaria and Togetic.
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 228-270 (72.8 - 86.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 288-340 (81.3 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Agree with your definition of a hard counter, but Togetic is actually a hard counter. Cause there is literally no reason to run Iron Tail over something else on your move set, Hard Counters should counter the viable sets, not the completely random coverage move ones.

Agree with your definition of a hard counter, but Togetic is actually a hard counter. Cause there is literally no reason to run Iron Tail over something else on your move set, Hard Counters should counter the viable sets, not the completely random coverage move ones.
True, but honestly what do you miss out on if you use Iron Tail over Leaf Blade on the Swords Dance set? Dragon Claw/Outrage + Iron Tail + Earthquake is perfect coverage in NU and having DC/Outrage as the only STAB is not a bad choice. Leaf Blade, while stronger than Dragon Claw and safer than Outrage, only really helps for Seismitoad, who can't do much to Sceptile aside from Toxic, is 2HKOed by Dragon Claw at +2 and has no recovery beyond Leftovers. Earthquake handles any Steel type aside from Bronzor (who is unseen and weak as hell) and Iron Tail handles all Fairies. It seems completely reasonable to use Iron Tail on SD.

Last edited:

Ares

So something I've been playing around with recently is Choice Band Pangoro. I've seen people run troom, Taunt, and Scarf Pangoro; but, I've only seen a few people running Choice Band. I've got to say its almost akin to a physical Dragalge. With the addition of Knock Off and Drain Punch Pangoro can remove items from walls while recovering health back with Drain Punch, it has also gotten Gunk Shot for fairies or can use a more accurate Poison Jab, Parting Shot is for gaining momentum (although honestly I have yet to use it lol).

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot / Poison Jab
- Parting Shot

Some impressive calcs:

Weezing: 252+ Atk Choice Band Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 160-190 (47.9 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Seismitoad: 252+ Atk Choice Band Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Seismitoad: 240-283 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Qwilfish: -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Pangoro Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 145-172 (43.4 - 51.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mega Audino: 252+ Atk Choice Band Pangoro Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega-Audino: 256-302 (62.4 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
As an avid user of Mega Sceptile myself, I will say there definitely exists some decent checks to Mega Sceptile on offensive teams, namely AV Hariyama, AV Muk, Mega Altaria (especially), Togetic, and specially defensive Grass-types (granted, they aren't very common as of now). That said, Mega Scepile is a very fast, offensive powerhouse that has great coverage, longevity provided by Giga Drain, and even switch-in opportunities due to its resistances to Water, Ground, and especially Electric to come in and start wreaking havoc.

Montsegur I have the exact Pangoro set, except with Life Orb over Choice Band (and I don't know why you have Mold Breaker over Iron Fist on that thing atm). I find Life Orb Panda to be much easier to use as it can better take advantage of its powerful dual STAB coverage, and doesn't mind LO recoil due to Iron Fist Drain Punch. The most appealing aspect LO Panda has over Choiced Panda is that it can use Parting Shot in the midst of its rampage to double back into a more suitable teammate for the job, particularly one that benefits from / is immune to burn; Choiced Panda needs to predict well to make effective use of Parting Shot, lest its teammates take unnecessary damage.

Mont Edit: idk why I had mold breaker, was in a sawk mindset, you're probably right that Iron Fist is better. So I switched mine out for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)