Sceptile [QC 0/3]

Base stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145

Overview
########

+ Amazing 110/145 offenses that allow Sceptile to run mixed
+ Decent STAB coverage in Grass / Dragon
+ Typing allows it to check water and take on dragon-types
+ Really fast, outspeeding the whole unboosted metagame bar the uncommon M-Aerodactyl and M-Alakazam.
+ Good overall movepool, including many viable physical and special choices
+ Lightningrod gives it a handy immunity to electric-type moves
+ Immunity to Leech Seed, Spore, powder moves, and Thunder Wave
- Weak to Flying, Bug, Ice, and Dragon-type moves, among others, which are very common
- 70/75/85 aren't terrible, but they prevent it from living most SE hits
- 4x weak to ice-type moves

Special Attacker
########
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Substitute / Leaf Storm
ability: Lightningrod
item: Sceptilite
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 40 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 216 Speed

Moves
========
  • Giga Drain is preferred over Leaf Storm as it provides Sceptile with a form of recovery. Leaf Storm, though it does force Sceptile to switch out, is capable of OHKOing +2 252/0 Mega Slowbro.
  • Dragon Pulse is Sceptile's only viable special dragon-type move, nailing opposing Dragon-types for super-effective damage. It is capable of OHKOing Talonflame and Staraptor after Stealth Rock, as well.
  • Focus Blast hits Heatran on the switch, and is capable of 2HKOing it. It completes Sceptile's Grass / Dragon / Fighting coverage, which is only resisted by Doublade and Mega Altaria.
  • Substitute works great alongside Giga Drain, allowing Sceptile to heal the damage it takes by making its substitute. It effectively allows Sceptile to take a super-effective hit and deal major damage back, since its checks and counters are generally frail. Leaf Storm can be used over sub, however, if you'd rather make a choice between healing yourself or nuking things.
Set Details
========
  • Sceptilite enables Sceptile to Mega Evolve.
  • Maximum Sp. Attack allows Sceptile to hit as hard as possible.
  • 216 Speed still allows Sceptile to outpace Greninja, while investing in a bit of bulk. A spread of 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe outpaces 252+ Scarf Chandelure by one point, however, as well as speed tying other Sceptile.
  • Modest retains Sceptile's ability to outspeed Greninja, and gives it a bit of extra strength. However, by running Modest, 252+ Mega Manectric can outspeed Sceptile, so Timid is preferred.
  • Lightningrod raises Sceptile's Sp. Attack by one stage when hit by an electric attack.
Usage Tips
========
  • One of Sceptile's selling points is the ability to check Greninja, but keep in mind that it is two points slower than it before Mega Evolution. Try to Mega Evolve on something that is slower than Sceptile.
  • Substitute should be used to punish switches. Once Sceptile gets behind a Substitute, start attacking.
  • Best used as a late-game cleaner when its checks and counters have been removed.
Team Options
========
  • Stealth Rock enables Sceptile to OHKO Staraptor and Talonflame with Dragon Pulse after they have taken damage from it. It also helps to wear down the opposing team in general.
  • Birdspam checks are very beneficial to Sceptile. Rhyperior and Heatran are great partners to Sceptile, as they can both set Stealth Rock and check Birdspam.
  • Bisharp and Tyranitar can threaten the Lati twins, who threaten to remove Stealth Rock, with its powerful STAB Sucker Punch + Pursuit / Crunch + Pursuit.
  • Ice resists are useful as well, as opposing Pokémon such as Weavile and Mamoswine threaten Sceptile with a STAB Ice Shard. In addition to setting Stealth Rock, Heatran only takes a quarter damage from ice-type moves.
  • Answers to bulky fairy-types such as steel-types are much appreciated. Bisharp again helps to take care of fairies.
All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Leaf Blade / Giga Drain
move 2: Dragon Pulse / Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
nature: Hasty / Naive
evs: 136 Atk / 252 SpA / 122 Spe

Moves
========
  • Leaf Blade, although its base power is nothing outstanding, has a high critical-hit chance. Giga Drain does provide Sceptile with a way to recover HP over time, however.
  • Dragon Pulse is the best dragon STAB on this set, as it has a higher base power than Dragon Claw. Outrage can also be used to attempt a sweep, but it is dangerous to use unless fairies have been eliminated.
  • Earthquake is necessary coverage that can OHKO Heatran after Stealth Rock. It also hits many different types, such as fire and rock-types, for super-effective damage.
  • Hidden Power Fire nails Ferrothorn and Scizor, among others, for super-effective damage. It also hits opposing grass-types such as Breloom super-effectively.
Set Details
========
  • 136 EVs in attack ensures that 252/0 Heatran will be OHKO'd by Earthquake after Stealth Rock.
  • 122 EVs in Speed retains Sceptile's ability to outspeed Greninja and below.
  • The rest is invested in Sp. Attack, but if you opt to use mostly physical attacks, an alternate spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe is viable as well.
Usage Tips
========
  • If an electric-type that is not named Thundurus is active, this is the best time to switch Sceptile in unless they usually run Hidden Power Ice. If hit by an electric-type move, its SpA will be raised.
  • Prediction is key when using Hidden Power Fire and Earthquake, as Heatran and flying-types can come in and either boost the power of their fire-type moves or render Earthquake ineffective.
  • Giga Drain is best used against water-types, as Sceptile can really benefit from absorbing their HP.
Team Options
========
  • Stealth Rock is generally very helpful to Sceptile, as it turns many of its 2HKOs into OHKOs. As mentioned before, Heatran excels at this role and resists ice-type moves.
  • Azumarill with Knock Off can remove Garchomp's Choice Scarf, enabling Sceptile to check it with Dragon Pulse. It can also muscle through Weavile and Mamoswine.
  • Rotom-W can spread burns, and it counters Mamoswine lacking Freeze-Dry.
Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade / Giga Drain
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Outrage / Dragon Claw
nature: Hasty / Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves
========
  • Swords Dance is the main move of the set, increasing Sceptile's good base 110 attack by two stages.
  • Leaf Blade is the preferred option over Giga Drain, as it does more damage backed by Swords Dance. Its high critical-hit chance can come in handy.
  • Earthquake is still necessary, doing major damage to Heatran and Magnezone, two relatively common threats.
  • Outrage is Sceptile's most powerful attack on this set, and is much stronger than Dragon Claw. Dragon Claw can still be used if you're annoyed by the lock-in, though.
Set Details
========
  • Maximum attack to allow Sceptile to do as much damage as possible.
  • Maximum speed to allow Sceptile to outspeed threats such as Greninja and Scarf Magnezone.
  • An alternate spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant is viable if not using Giga Drain.
Usage Tips
========
  • Whereas other Sceptile sets don't really care for a burn, this one does. Take caution when switching into Rotom-W.
  • It's best not to Swords Dance unless all opposing Ice-type priority is gone. Weavile and Mamoswine are capable of revenge killing it.
  • Be careful when using Outrage, as Steel and Fairy-types stop Sceptile's sweep short.
Team Options
========
  • Heatran can absorb burns from Rotom-W, and as mentioned above, is just an overall excellent partner to Sceptile.
  • Cleric support is helpful if Sceptile's team is balanced and not an offensively-oriented team. Sylveon and Clefable do a fine job at this while providing STAB Hyper Voice and Moonblast, respectively.
  • Healing Wish support is a godsend to a weakened Sceptile - Latias and Jirachi, for example, can provide Healing Wish to Sceptile, restoring its health, PP, and status conditions.
  • Magnezone is a great partner to this set, as since it lacks Hidden Power Fire, it cannot take on Ferrothorn or Scizor. Magnezone can trap and defeat these two.
  • A teammate that checks Talonflame and Pinsir is crucial to Sceptile, as the threat of their powerful priority forces Sceptile out, removing any boosts it may have gathered.
Other Options
########
  • Iron Tail can be used to prevent Mega Altaria from walling it, but its accuracy is questionable.
  • Drain Punch can be used on the Swords Dance set, but Giga Drain has STAB so it is a bit outclassed.
  • Thunder Punch rips through flying-types but Sceptile can't live priority Brave Bird / flying type moves in general anyway.
  • Hidden Power Rock can be used to OHKO every member of Birdspam (Tflame, Raptor, and MPinsir) but they can all be dealt with via Dragon Pulse.
Checks & Counters
########
**Mega Altaria**: Her brilliant Dragon / Fairy typing means that she resists Grass, Dragon, and Fighting-type moves, and she can then OHKO with Pixilate-boosted Return or Hyper Voice. Unlike birdspam, she doesn't take much from any of Sceptile's attacks bar Iron Tail.

**Birdspam**: Sceptile is simply wrecked by birdspam, being OHKO'd by Talonflame and Staraptor's Brave Bird. Mega Pinsir's Aerilate-boosted Quick Attack is also a huge threat, although all three take major damage from Dragon Pulse / Dragon Claw.

**Fairy-types**: Most fairy-types have good Sp. Defense, which means they can sponge a few hits from Sceptile and do major damage back with their STAB fairy-type moves.

**Priority**: Mamoswine, Weavile, and Talonflame possess powerful priority moves that will OHKO Sceptile. Since it lacks priority, it either will KO Sceptile or will force it out.

**Mega Venusaur**: It resists Grass and Ground, and doesn't care about HP Fire or Dragon Pulse, and can then OHKO back with a STAB Sludge Bomb. Sceptile lacks Psychic and Flying-type moves of any kind to hit Venusaur with, bar Acrobatics.

**Mega Metagross**: It can come in on any set, even those with earthquake, and Meteor Mash Sceptile, which is capable of OHKOing it. It then has a chance to get an attack boost and sweep the rest of its team.

Last edited:
If it doesn't get a main set i would recommned having swords dance as a other option, especially since mega sceptiles physical movepool is far greater than it's special. The main flaw i see with this set is that it's more vulnerable to getting completely crippled by a burn though. Also mention how mega sceptile has immunity to spore, leech seed, and powder moves as well, and it's special set doesn't mind getting burned too much making mega sceptile a fantastic status absorber.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remove Hidden Power Rock, its honestly just bad. idk if you were going off of last gens analysis, but all of those targets are hit harder with dragon pulse.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, (I don't know if you were planing to do this already but I'll still suggest it just in case) include an all-out-attacker mixed set with Earthquake+HP Fire. You hit all Focus Blast targets harder/more reliably at the cost of not being able to run Substitute.

I think HP rock is there to hit many of the flying and fire type threats that threaten it such as talonflame, zard Y, pinsir, and volcarona (though it's not in OU at the moment). HP fire or ground are other great options. HP fire for the obvious steel types such as ferrothorn, skarmory, scizor, klefki, etc. that are either not hit hard enough by focus miss, or hit more reliably that focus miss. And HP ground is there for heatran, magnezone, along with some other threats that I can't list off the top of my head.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think HP rock is there to hit many of the flying and fire type threats that threaten it such as talonflame, zard Y, pinsir, and volcarona (though it's not in OU at the moment). HP fire or ground are other great options. HP fire for the obvious steel types such as ferrothorn, skarmory, scizor, klefki, etc. that are either not hit hard enough by focus miss, or hit more reliably that focus miss. And HP ground is there for heatran, magnezone, along with some other threats that I can't list off the top of my head.
Did you not read my post? All of those pokemon get hit harder by dragon pulse,,, smh. HP Ground is bad because heatran is OHKOed by EQ and 2HKOed by focus blast. Stop spouting off incorrect information.

What are you taliking about? Zard Y, volcarone, pinsir, and talonflame are not hit harder by dragon pulse. HP rock can be used to surprise talonflame and pinsir and probably OHKO them, feel free to show me the damage calcs if im wrong. And as for HP ground I was referring to the special based set not the mixed. I don't know about you but i am definetly not spouting incorrect information.

Whoa, that's a lot of comments! Sorry, I was just eating lunch. I will edit this post with my reply to all yours.

If it doesn't get a main set i would recommned having swords dance as a other option, especially since mega sceptiles physical movepool is far greater than it's special. The main flaw i see with this set is that it's more vulnerable to getting completely crippled by a burn though. Also mention how mega sceptile has immunity to spore, leech seed, and powder moves as well, and it's special set doesn't mind getting burned too much making mega sceptile a fantastic status absorber.
I am planning to do a Swords Dance set. I wanted to finish up what's on my plate so far, however, in the special and mixed attacker builds. And yep, I will do that.

Also, (I don't know if you were planing to do this already but I'll still suggest it just in case) include an all-out-attacker mixed set with Earthquake+HP Fire. You hit all Focus Blast targets harder/more reliably at the cost of not being able to run Substitute.
I was writing up the Mixed Attacker set before I left to eat lunch, and that's exactly what I have, so no worries.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
What are you taliking about? Zard Y, volcarone, pinsir, and talonflame are not hit harder by dragon pulse. HP rock can be used to surprise talonflame and pinsir and probably OHKO them, feel free to show me the damage calcs if im wrong. And as for HP ground I was referring to the special based set not the mixed. I don't know about you but i am definetly not spouting incorrect information.
The point is that its not worth running a hidden power for those pokemon when you can hit them for good nuetral damage with dragon pulse or a coverage move. Also, work on your spelling and learn how to reply to posts.

The point is that its not worth running a hidden power for those pokemon when you can hit them for good nuetral damage with dragon pulse or a coverage move. Also, work on your spelling and learn how to reply to posts.
Talonflame and Staraptor do take more damage from Hidden Power, but I see your point. I'll move it to Other Options, as it still OHKOs them without Stealth Rock. Dragon Pulse can OHKO with Stealth Rock, however, so maybe you're right.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Talonflame and Staraptor do take more damage from Hidden Power, but I see your point. I'll move it to Other Options, as it still OHKOs them without Stealth Rock. Dragon Pulse can OHKO with Stealth Rock, however, so maybe you're right.
It made more sense in previous generations because sceptile only had grass stab and had to rely on hidden power for coverage. Now it has d-pulse as a secondary stab.

Although there is some merit behind using HP rock, It is probably better as an OO. Also some food for though but 36 defense EVS and 220 speed evs still allows mega sceptile to outspeed greninja even with a modest nature while avoiding a OHKO from mega pinsir's quick attack. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Okay, so I have completed the Special Attacker + All-Out Attacker sets, and I'll consider any suggestions. I'm going to be rewriting the whole thing (just rephrasing) to make it easier to read, as well. I will then finish the Swords Dance set.

Yea coming from the one who just mispelled. Although there is some merit behind using HP rock, It is probably better as an OO. Also some food for though but 36 defense EVS and 220 speed evs still allows mega sceptile to outspeed greninja even with a modest nature while avoiding a OHKO from mega pinsir's quick attack. Just some food for thought.
And I do like that. I'll change up the EVs a bit.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Fyi - checks and counters should be formatted as such:

**Priority**: Pokemon with priority moves such as Talonflames Brave Bird and Mega Pinsirs Quick Attack can easily dispose of Mega Sceptile.

Also, havokchomp123 - coming from the person who suggested water shuriken torrent greninja, so yeah. Thats all I have to say.

Fyi - checks and counters should be formatted as such:

**Priority**: Pokemon with priority moves such as Talonflames Brave Bird and Mega Pinsirs Quick Attack can easily dispose of Mega Sceptile.

Also, havokchomp123 - coming from the person who suggested water shuriken torrent greninja, so yeah. Thats all I have to say.
Yup, I knew that, but thanks for clearing things up anyways. I've compiled a small list of Checks & Counters already that can be found in its section.

also, 36 def evs still has a 60% chance to be ohko'd.

Yup, I knew that, but thanks for clearing things up anyways. I've compiled a small list of Checks & Counters already that can be found in its section.

also, 36 def evs still has a 60% chance to be ohko'd.
That's if it has a jolly nature, with an adamant it does have a 50% to OHKO unfortunately. I do want to ask why your putting giga drain on the swords dance set.

Lets all be nice to eachother please n_n
Thanks Darnell I try. Also Mega sceptile does get drain punch if it needs a form of recovery. Though i guess giga drain could be used and if you could get mega sceptile to switch into the right electric attack, it could almost function as a pseudo mixed sweeper.

From my experience SD Mega Sceptile really needs Magnezone in order to sweep. A +2 Low Kick doesn't kill Ferro and Ferro decimates you with Gyro Ball and you also can't break Skarmory with SD Mega Sceptile. Definitely add Magnezone in team options, you probably already knew this but I'm j/s in case not. Also from my experience, Outrage is absolutely imperative to use over Dragon Claw. Dragon Claw is simply wayyy too weak with that base 110 attack so Outrage is compulsory to give it the much needed power. +2 Outrage's power from M-Scept is ~24% less powerful than an Adamant +1 ZardX's Outrage, so you can imagine how much weaker Dragon Claw would be.

EDIT; I just realized you aren't using Low Kick on your SD set. Imo it's better than EQ because EQ is not necesssary to OHKO Heatran since +2 Low Kick OHKOs Heatran anyways, and Low Kick also tears Tyranitar a new asshole. There's really no reason to use EQ on SD M-Scept. Definitely slash Low Kick first in front of EQ on the SD set, if not remove EQ altogether.

in the special attacker set details u can probably just remove that sceptilite enables mega sceptile to mega evolve, as thats kind of a no brainer. Also naive nature should be on the mixed, because mega sceptile will take less damage from priority moves. And this is just my 2 cents but outrage is just too risky. A mixed set should have the ability to switch between moves at all times smoothly and be able to handle a wide variety of threats and walls. If your locked into outrage your just a sitting duck for lots of physical walls and fairies and the reliability of dragon claw or dragon pulse make them better options.

From my experience SD Mega Sceptile really needs Magnezone in order to sweep. A +2 Low Kick doesn't kill Ferro and Ferro decimates you with Gyro Ball and you also can't break Skarmory with SD Mega Sceptile. Definitely add Magnezone in team options, you probably already knew this but I'm j/s in case not. Also from my experience, Outrage is absolutely imperative to use over Dragon Claw. Dragon Claw is simply wayyy too weak with that base 110 attack so Outrage is compulsory to give it the much needed power. +2 Outrage's power from M-Scept is ~24% less powerful than an Adamant +1 ZardX's Outrage, so you can imagine how much weaker Dragon Claw would be.

EDIT; I just realized you aren't using Low Kick on your SD set. Imo it's better than EQ because EQ is not necesssary to OHKO Heatran since +2 Low Kick OHKOs Heatran anyways, and Low Kick also tears Tyranitar a new asshole. There's really no reason to use EQ on SD M-Scept. Definitely slash Low Kick first in front of EQ on the SD set, if not remove EQ altogether.
in the special attacker set details u can probably just remove that sceptilite enables mega sceptile to mega evolve, as thats kind of a no brainer. Also naive nature should be on the mixed, because mega sceptile will take less damage from priority moves. And this is just my 2 cents but outrage is just too risky. A mixed set should have the ability to switch between moves at all times smoothly and be able to handle a wide variety of threats and walls. If your locked into outrage your just a sitting duck for lots of physical walls and fairies and the reliability of dragon claw or dragon pulse make them better options.
I have taken your suggestions into consideration. I'll add Magnezone after I take a bit of a break.

The Swords Dance set needs a teammate that can check Talonflame (and on the same line, Pinsir) for it, or else the Flying Priority can ruin its chance to sweep.

Also, I think Cleric support needs to be downplayed for Swords Dance sets; you need to mention that it only applies f Sceptile's team is more balanced. Clerics do not provide enough offensive pressure to be put onto an offensive team. Rather, a Healing Wish user, such as Jirachi and Latias, provides a lot more useful support for offensive teams. Mention Healing Wish please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)