XY OU Bird Spamming (Peaked #188)

Hey guys! It's thecrystalonix here with my first RMT. I decided to make an RMT after this team has won many games for me, and before ORAS comes out, i decided to ladder up the XY OU ladder one last time.

At a Glance

Team Building Process
I decided to make a team based of Mega Pinsir, a huge threat in the OU meta
Since I am a fan of hyperoffense, I decided to build a "bird" spam core with Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Staraptor, which are all heavy hitters.
With three flying types on the team, a defogger was necessary. So I chose Latias. Not only does it defog away hazards, but it provides Healing Wish support to the team, which is the reason I did not choose Latios.
Now I have added Raikou to form a VoltTurn combo with Talonflame and Staraptor, as well as being an offensive check to opposing Mega Pinsirs, and other flying types such as Thundurus. Also, Mamoswine is there to get up Stealth Rocks, and provide priority with Ice Shard. Plus, Mamoswine's focus sash comes into play when dealing with Pokemon that set up.
Finally, I replaced Raikou with Rotom-Wash, as Sand Rush Excadrill with Tyranitar was becoming a problem. Also, Rotom-W deals with ground types and physical attackers that Raikou could not, mainly scarfed Landorus-T. And, Rotom-W still maintains the VoltTurn combo with Talonflame and Staraptor.

In-Depth Look
*Set Changes Made In Bold*
*Set Detail Changes Made in Red*

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Close Combat​
Mega Pinsir, where do I start with you? Mega Pinsir is such a huge threat in the OU meta. It's ability when it mega evolves, Aerilate, is so strong with Frustration. I choose Hyper Cutter as its normal ability, as it allows it to prevent Intimidate before mega evolving, and getting up a Swords Dance. Mega Pinsir is the pokemon I send out on walls that cannot touch me, and I start to Swords Dance. Usually, this is a Pokemon I send out mid-game, as once I used my other team members to weaken the opposing team, Mega Pinsir just cleans. I decided on Close Combat over Earthquake on this to be able to hit Rotom-W, OHKO Tyranitar and Bisharp, and to potentially finish off Skarmory if it has been weakened, and I have set up.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk​
The "Smogon Bird" is here as my revenge killer. Since Talonflame has Gale Wings, the ability that gives priority to flying moves, I decided that this would be the second pokemon in my bird spam core. It gets priority Brave Bird, which demolishes weakened Pokemon, as well as being a reliable priority attack. I have a Jolly nature to be able to speed creep other Talonflames, as well as outspeeding Thundurus and Raikou, who are otherwise good checks to Talonflame. I also have Sleep Talk to be able to check Breloom's Spore, as I have no Spore resists otherwise.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat Final Gambit
"Click Brave Bird and watch things faint" is what it says on the Smogon dex. Staraptor is such a beast, boasting a base 120 attack stat with Brave Bird. Not only that, its hidden ability, Reckless, powers up recoil moves, making Brave Bird (and Double-Edge) much stronger, along with the Choice Band. Staraptor is my third Pokemon in my bird spam core. It absolutely obliterates most walls in the whole game. Staraptors purpose in the bird spam core is to weaken walls and threats, allowing Mega Pinsir or Talonflame to clean up. Final Gambit is used to be able to severely weaken common bird spam switch ins, such as Skarmory, and then it allows Mega Pinsir or Talonflame to clean up.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Healing Wish​
Three flying types on one team isn't really all that good against arguably one of the best moves in the game: Stealth Rocks. Pinsir takes 24%(49% if Mega) upon switch in, Talonflame takes 49%, and Staraptor takes 24% also. That's why Latias is here, to provide Defog support, to get rid of those hazards that scare all these birds. Plus, Latias gets Healing Wish, which can help give any one of the Pokemon on my team a second chance. Draco Meteor and Thunderbolt are the last two moves. Originally, Thunderbolt was Psyshock, but since I have three flying types, I saw no need to have it, as the birds can take care of the Pokemon that Psyshock does, such as Mega Venusaur. Thunderbolt is now here to hit up Skarmory, which is a huge threat to the birds, as it walls them. HP Fighting has replaced Thunderbolt as Bisharp is a threat to this team, so this allows me to sort of check Bisharp. I have Rotom-W and Final Gambit Staraptor to deal with Skarmory, and Rotom-W to take care of Azumarill, so this was a sacrifice I was willing to take.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Calm Nature Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split​
Rotom-Wash, formerly Raikou, is here to provide Will-O-Wisp support, as well as being a good pivot. The EVs are not standard on my Rotom-W, though. Since the Mega Manectric and Landorus-T VoltTurn combo is strong against my team, I decided a specially defensive Rotom-W with Will-O-Wisp was a good option, as it can check both of them. The 44 speed is there to be able to outspeed Jolly 252 Belly Drum Azumarill, and hit it with a Volt Switch if weakened, or a Will-O-Wisp. I originally used the physically defensive set, but then Mega Manectric became a counter, guaranteeing a 2HKO on Rotom-W. Since I have Latias to deal with Mega Mane, I am using the physically defensive set instead, to better deal with sand and Lando-T. Rotom-W is my answer to Sand, Lando-T with a scarf, and physical Poekmon in general, as I can Will-O-Wisp them to weaken them. Rotom-W also acts as a pivot mon, as it does switch in to things my team is weak against, such as Tyranitar or Azumarill. The EV spread is standard, the 44 speed ofcourse is there to outspeed Jolly 252+ Belly Drum Azumarill.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake​
Mamoswine has two roles on this team: a) Stealth Rock setter and b) being a Dragon Check. Its priority Ice Shard helps against dragons, such as Garchomp or Zygarde. This is my main check to things like Thundurus, too. The focus sash allows me to live hits and retaliate with Endavor and Ice Shard, and being able to take down threats like Mega Charizard X with the Sash intact. The Stealth Rocks allows my birds to be able to tear through teams easier, with the switch in damage.
Threats List
+
If Rotom-W and Mamoswine get weakened, Mega Manectric and Scarf Landorus-T wrecks my team.
Cresselia is bulky enough to take a hit from my birds, and use Thunder Wave, crippling my team.
Thundurus is a great check to bird spam in general. If played right while my team has been weakened, it wins.
+
Once Rotom-W has been weakened, and Mamoswines sash breaks, Sand Rush Excardrill goes ham on my team.
+
*Edit* Excadrill with Mold Breaker and a Choice Scarf is more threatning to my team, as it comes in and gets a kill easily.
*Edit* Bisharp sets up an SD and goes to town. Right now my only way to beat this is to play around Sucker Punch, catch it on the switch in and bop it with a HP Fighting, or relying on Mamoswines sash and retaliate with EQ.
Walls most of my team except Rotom-W and Thunderbolt Latias. It roost stalls Staraptor and, to an extent, Talonflame. Also, if it has counter, it beats all of the birds and Mamoswine.

Proof Of Peak
(Senpaiplsnoticeme is my alt)
Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 6.22.43 PM.png

My peak as of now is #188, but I plan to ladder more.

Some Replays
(Win) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-183806984 <- Against Rain
(Win) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-183878745 <- Against Baton Pass
(Loss) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-183915158 <- Against Sand Rush (before Rotom-W change)
(Win) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-184203080 <- Win with the new Rotom-W replacement

Importable
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Close Combat

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Final Gambit

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Healing Wish

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

All rates are appreciated!​

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team actually looks pretty good! Pretty standard Birdspam team, weak to the kind of stuff Birdspam is usually weak to. Even then, nothing you're weak to completely steamroll you (MMane is beaten by Latias, Sand and Lando-T are dealt with by Rotom-W, etc...) I have a couple of suggestions though :

- Couple of nitpicks concerning the EV spreads and natures you're running : 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Speed with a Timid nature is the optimal spread on Latias : you don't miss out on any KOs and you hit a LO number+get to live some pretty crucial hits like Lando-I Knock Off and the likes. Also, this is just a matter of personal preference I would actually give Staraptor an Adamant nature. You do miss out on outspeeding/tying with base 100s, however, since it's your main nuke, I think that's worth it for the ability to smash defensive teams significantly harder. The only thing you really lose out on by running Adamant is the ability to outspeed/tie with MGarde who I guess can be annoying because you have a Lati and a Rotom on your team, but this one's really up to you.

- I would consider running Final Gambit on Staraptor over Close Combat. This may seem odd, but what this basically does is let you completely destroy Skarmory switchins and put it to a range where Pinsir/Talonflame Brave Bird kills it. Oh, it also does the same to Rhyperior who, while rather uncommon, could be a massive problem to your team (though I guess CC kinda does the same but not to the same extent). In general, it serves to weaken the opponent's Birdspam check, whatever it may be, to the point where Pinsir/Talon can easily clean the team, and you don't really need to predict since you know you're going to deal massive damage and gain momentum at once. You may not think KOing one of your Pokemon just for that purpose is worth it, but it often is especially given how fast Staraptor dies. The only downside to this is that it gives Scarf TTar a free switchin, but even then, the scarf variant (the variant that is the most scary for you), takes around 50% from Brave Bird/Double Edge and even more from U-Turn, especially if you decide to run an Adamant nature on it.

- I spot a pretty huge Bisharp weakness. It easily gets an SD up on Latias and stops it from defogging. You can't reliably revenge kill it with priority since it resist all of Brave Bird, Quick Attack, and Ice Shard. One way to deal with this would be to run Hidden Power Fighting over Thunderbolt on Latias. However, you do lose out on Skarmory and bulky Waters so this may not be ideal. On the other hand, it does give you a better way to hit Scarf Tyranitar and Scarf Magneton (who outspeeds Jolly Talon btw) which are very annoying for your team to deal with (also hits Scarf Heatran slightly harder I guess?).

- I would still run physical defense on Rotom-W. Latias is already a pretty good switch-in to Mega-Manectric, as is Thick Fat Mamosine (btw, most Sash Mamos run Oblivious but Think Fat works better on this team specifically because of MManectric and Scarf Heatran to a lesser extent so don't change that) and you kinda want the physical defense to deal with Landorus-T, Excadrill, TTar, and especially opposing Talonflame who just needs Rotom-W weakened to around 80% (not hard to do at all) to 2HKO. Physically Defensive Rotom-W, on the other hand, just needs to be at 55% to beat it which is actually a pretty significant difference given how prone Rotom-W is to getting worn down. You can still revenge kill it with your own Talon I guess but I would rather have a more solid switchin to it.

- Usual birdspam checks (Scarf TTar, MAero, Scarf Magnezone/Magneton, Scarf Heatran, Rhyperior, etc...) are pretty tricky to deal with but I don't think there's too much that can be done about that without doing something completely radical which would make the team worse overall like replacing Mamoswine by Hippowdon (don't do this!). I guess one thing you could try is replacing Mamoswine by Garchomp, however I don't see this working too well since you're now weaker to Thundurus-I, and a lot of scarf TTars carry Ice Beam anyway.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Nice team
Just one thing I would replace endeavor with icicle spear because it deal with sash breloom greatly because its multiple hits and brelooms ice weakness.
252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 306-360 (117.2 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Thanks Albacore , the set changes you recommended to me seem to be working right now, even on my tilt. The adamant nature on raptor allows me to deal with those pesky Mews with the stallbreaker sets. However, I noticed that scarf drill is more scary than Sand Rush drill, as scarfdrill is able to essentially 1v1 all of my Pokemon. Is there something that can possible change this? *edit* I was thinking scarf lando-t to replace mamo to deal with scarfdrill and be able to revenge kill thundurus if needed. I'm not sure if this is the best choice, as I do lose the stealth rocks as well. And Terry24 , thanks for the Icicle Spear suggestion! However, I have Sleep Talk Talon and 4/6 of my mons deal with loom. Was there any other reason for having Icicle Spear?

Last edited:
I thought it would be more convienent to use icicle spear to deal with breloom and its sash all in one move so u wont have to waste resources dealing withs focus sash.

Last edited:
This Team might get destroyed by weavile teamed with rotom-w skarmory and chansey. I want to want to fight it so bad >:) .Its a really nice and broken team btw the offensive with two stalling threats.Like damn i like it.

Pent

dumb broad
Welcome to Smogon! One thing, I'm very OCD about typos, find them in books all the time. You said that Return is really good on Pinsir in your Description, but you're running Frustration. Change it and I'll be a lot happier.

But, onto the rate.
As Monkey D. LuffyOP said in the previous post, you get completely wrecked by a pairing of Weavile, Chansey, and Rotom-Wash. Actually, you're rather walled by Rotom-Wash completely, along with Bisharp with an SD/Defiant up. Honestly, I don't know what to do about that other than changing a member if your team completely, but that would open up more weaknesses. But, I recommend Roost > Sleep Talk on Talonflame so you can get some recovery, because you can always use Healing Wish to wake it up and heal it back to full. But, that is solely based on your decision.

Great first RMT though, I'm used to people just copying and pasting their teams without reading the rules.

Hope it helps.

Why no skarmory? It can run Stealth rock for Pinsir,Talonflame,Staraptor,and sometimes Mamoswine.Damaging them superly or ruining their effect of sweeping or countering,Skarmory with counter.Sturdy Counter is viable i use cause nobody notices it.It stop Mega Salamence if it doesnt have Fire Blast and other sweepers
Like Talonflame Staraptor and that Mamoswine oh Pinsir.

Pent

dumb broad
Why no skarmory? It can run Stealth rock for Pinsir,Talonflame,Staraptor,and sometimes Mamoswine.Damaging them superly or ruining their effect of sweeping or countering,Skarmory with counter.Sturdy Counter is viable i use cause nobody notices it.It stop Mega Salamence if it doesnt have Fire Blast and other sweepers
Like Talonflame Staraptor and that Mamoswine oh Pinsir.
The problem with skarmory for this team is that they are running hyper offense, so a wall really isn't needed.

Hello, welcome to Smogon.
Flying Spam, eh? Very interesting.
I can see three 'mons being problematic for you, Breloom, MegaTyranitar and Bisharp.
Breloom is usually sash, and thanks to rock tomb and priority mach punch gives troubles to your team, mamoswine also loses 1 on 1 against it, and Latias is your only real answer to it, though you lack a recovery and are using Life Orb.
Mega Tyranitar can easily set up on a brave bird locked talonflame or staraptor, or a -2 latias, and then proceed to shred you apart.
Bisharp loves defog, thanks to defiant, and while you use hp fight, you can only hit him via switch in, since sucker punch kills latias even at +0, while Bisharp resists flying moves, as such you'll be forced to go to a lot of coinflips in order to beat him.
I would suggest you two little changes in order to beat said pokemons.
The first one is Give Icicle Spear to Mamoswine, this way you'll be able to beat Breloom without problems, especially since majority of times he's used as a lead, ispear also helps you against other stuff like Garchomp or Azelf, two common "suicide leads".
The second change is Change Rotom-wash ev spread to a fast one and to use Double Status as its moveset.
With an ev spread of 248 hp 40 def 220 speed bold rotom-wash is faster than Jolly Bisharp, the most used nature atm, this way you'll be able to burn him, and nerf him for the rest of the match, while also keeping up enough bulk to withstand mega tyranitar's crunch at +1 after stealth rocks and sandstorm, this way rotom-wash will be able to paralyze him, and then tyranitar can easily be killed by Close Combat.

Set:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Hope it helped, good luck and I'm sure Senpai will notce you

Thanks Terry24 and Enki , Icicle Spear has worked for me when I have used it. The Rotom-W set seems interesting, but theres good reasons behind it, so I will try it. And thanks Sparkl3y , I will try Roost over Sleep Talk. And Monkey D. LuffyOP , even though Xatu isn't really good at all in OU, I like your Skarmory suggestion. Even though my team is H/O, I will try and test it.

Thanks Terry24 and Enki , Icicle Spear has worked for me when I have used it. The Rotom-W set seems interesting, but theres good reasons behind it, so I will try it. And thanks Sparkl3y , I will try Roost over Sleep Talk. And Monkey D. LuffyOP , even though Xatu isn't really good at all in OU, I like your Skarmory suggestion. Even though my team is H/O, I will try and test it.
Win Dem ladders and aim for the TOP!!! >:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)