Data Visualising metagame trends

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Well i was curious about seeing graphs of mons that were part of popular cores.
Do you remember thundy+lando+mawile? The two genies Were hurted a bit by mawile's ban and they have steadily decreased their usage since then.
I was also interested in seeing the graphs of rain teams mons but they don't seem to be connected, but can someone explain what happened to kingdra in may lol?

Something important would be to see differences in mega and non mega forms. Or something like Charizard with two completely different viable forms.
Thanks for that. I know Antar is able to provide some kind of usage statistics for mega forms, but I'm not exactly sure what they're supposed to represent. I'll need to do some investigation. I've raised an enhancement request, so I don't forget!

Its quite impressive to see how aegi's ban affected the meta, there are a shitload of mons that have seen more usage after its ban, including medicham, gardevoir, heracross, pinsir, slowbro, jirachi, mew, starmie, even metagross had a spike of usage in that period and then fell down again.
A really interesting insight, thanks! Slowbro's the only one who spiked but people decided wasn't worth pursuing. The rest mentioned have been thriving since!

no RU :(

This is so great, is possible in a future to change the usage stats based on ladder rank for the graphic?
Given the data I have at the moment, I'd be able to specify by the standard rankings (0, 1500, 1695 and 1825 in OU, for example). Is this what you had in mind? If so, that's an enhancement I'm already planning, although it may take a bit of time (in the same way that with RU it will take time simply to gather the stats over a long-enough period of time) :)

Well i was curious about seeing graphs of mons that were part of popular cores.
Do you remember thundy+lando+mawile? The two genies Were hurted a bit by mawile's ban and they have steadily decreased their usage since then.
I was also interested in seeing the graphs of rain teams mons but they don't seem to be connected, but can someone explain what happened to kingdra in may lol?
Very interesting plotting those three mentioned there. All three started declining at roughly the same rate around June (around the time of the Aegislash ban, don't know if that's related). When Mawile was banned, it seemed to affect the Thundurus numbers more than the Landorus numbers.

The Kingdra anomaly: The graph auto-scales to fit the data it's given. Kingdra is a good example, try putting any other Pokemon on the plot with Kingdra you will see very little change in it's usage - only when you plot it on it's own do you see large fluctuations. This is because Kingdra's usage is essentially constant across all the months (max ~1.6%, min ~1.4%), so the graph scales the y-axis much more than it would usually, creating graphs that look quite wild but are actually almost negligible fluctuations!

Last edited:

So something that I thought was very interesting was the affect of the "Post Aegislash" meta-game. Natually, one would assume that the usage of Heracross, Gardevoir, medicham, and slowbro would go much higher but instead we saw, with the notable exception of slowbro, their usage went up more as a continuation of their trend withing the meta-game as opposed to being a direct result of aegislash's ban.

Attachments

Guys just remember, correlation doesn't imply causation :]
Just because you see two mons' usage linked doesn't mean that one causes the other.

Wow this is so cool! It's really interesting to see partners in cores and whatnot go up and down together. For example manectric and lando-T's usage have nearly the exact same shape though of course lando-T's usage was a fair bit higher. Thanks a ton for this Imran.

Guys just remember, correlation doesn't imply causation :]
Just because you see two mons' usage linked doesn't mean that one causes the other.
Indeed, but it shouldn't stop us speculating either! I think the real fun of this is noticing correlations and then reasoning your way to causation (should it exist.) We've already seen if you look back through this thread. You can make an argument that loads of Pokemon affected each other after the Aegislash ban, when actually, if you then plot Aegislash on the chart you can become *fairly* certain the ban was the cause. There's a lot of factors at play in a constantly evolving metagame so you're right, we can never be entirely certain, but best guesses are certainly reasonable.

So something that I thought was very interesting was the affect of the "Post Aegislash" meta-game. Natually, one would assume that the usage of Heracross, Gardevoir, medicham, and slowbro would go much higher but instead we saw, with the notable exception of slowbro, their usage went up more as a continuation of their trend withing the meta-game as opposed to being a direct result of aegislash's ban.
I think this is a bit of a trick of the design. When was Aegislash banned? My guess is around June, and we don't have usage statistics for July. My algorithm attempts to interpolate between values it doesn't have - so if Aegislash has 16% usage in June and 0% in August, it will plot the point in july at 8%. This works well for steady changes, but for sudden changes like a ban it doesn't. My guess is that the Aegislash graph should be at zero or close from about July, and as such the conclusion that most of these changes are a direct result of the ban seems more reasonable. Especially if you consider that on the month of the ban, people were already starting to use these Pokemon more.

Was nice to see a couple of things, for example Greninja-Latios, Azumarill-Charizard & Thundrus-Slowbro.

I have problem with the chart stretching wide with Firefox, appreciate any help with that.

I can fix the "old data is lost" problem though it's VERY tedious: just type the URL of the old data in Google, and bring up the Cached version.

for reference: http://sim.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/
add what you want to access to the end - for example, if I add "ou-1695.0.txt" to the end, I end up with this.

edit: tagging Antar , as he might want to see this.

second edit: 100th post. Eh, I think it's good enough for a milestone post -_-

Last edited:
Was nice to see a couple of things, for example Greninja-Latios, Azumarill-Charizard & Thundrus-Slowbro.

I have problem with the chart stretching wide with Firefox, appreciate any help with that.
Hey, thanks for flagging that. I was aware the size of the graph wouldn't resize based on resolution, but wondered just how many people it would affect! Seeing as it is affecting you it seems worth raising an issue and trying to fix it! Nice graphs :)

I can fix the "old data is lost" problem though it's VERY tedious: just type the URL of the old data in Google, and bring up the Cached version.

add what you want to access to the end - for example, if I add "ou-1695.0.txt" to the end, I end up with this.

Very useful!!! It seems worth try to scrape somehow but would need to have a think about how.

It seems there it might be possible to automate this (a quick google tells me that there are some libraries that are able to do it), but seeing as it doesn't seem to cache the interim FTP page (the one that tells you what all the filenames are in the directories, I'd be guessing to some extent what the tiers and ranking levels would be.) I'm going to have a go at it tonight and see what I can come up with.

Just done a bit of investigation. I've created a script that will pull down the file you pointed out with the url:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...m.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/ou-1695.0.txt

But really what I want to get my hands on is the chaos data, which I assumed would be at any of:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/chaos/ou-1695.0.json
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...om:8080/Stats/2014-10/chaos/ou-1695.1695.json
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...gon.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/chaos/ou-1695.json

But it can't be found at any of those locations. There are two thing that could have gone wrong. I've got the URL wrong or google hasn't cached those pages. I hope it's the first, and someone will point out where I've got the URLs wrong!

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you, Talenheim. I could have sworn I checked the Google cache soon after the site went down, and it didn't have anything cached. Glad to know I was wrong. I've found a python script for scraping, and I'm trying it out now.

Edit: The Python script is out-of-date, but there are some updates in the comments. There's also this site, which I'm giving a shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)