Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

I think he might have been referring to UU's 1630 usage as it wasn't really that far away from 3.41...

| 66 | Ampharos | 3.50731%

However realistically Ampharos has little chance to drop down much like Abomasnow has little chance to drop down to NU despite the usage of
| 64 | Abomasnow | 3.04532%. People were pretty hyped for the newer more powerful megas and used them way more than they will be used this month, but since all of the broken ones got banned the old megas will rise in usage again.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Changin the topic a bit.. What do you think of Ampharos? Its mega is UU for ovbious reasons but i think the normal Ampharos could come to RU, that is with his megaitem banned.
Mega Ampharos has been UU since early XY, so I highly doubt that there would be a reason for its Mega Stone to be banned unless a really serious change happened that made it better. Likewise, it probably won't drop down to RU unless something significantly decreases its viability in UU.

Of co
I think he might have been referring to UU's 1630 usage as it wasn't really that far away from 3.41...

| 66 | Ampharos | 3.50731%

However realistically Ampharos has little chance to drop down much like Abomasnow has little chance to drop down to NU despite the usage of
| 64 | Abomasnow | 3.04532%. People were pretty hyped for the newer more powerful megas and used them way more than they will be used this month, but since all of the broken ones got banned the old megas will rise in usage again.
Thats his usage with the mega item, which then it becomes a much more stronger pokemon different form its regular version. But what about the stats of the regular Ampharos?? Gallades mega was broken and only regular version is allowed, why something similar cant happen to Ampharos? Its mega usage is almost above the threeshold to drop rank and thats its MEGA. Maybe Regular Ampharos could live in this tier.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Of co

Thats his usage with the mega item, which then it becomes a much more stronger pokemon different form its regular version. But what about the stats of the regular Ampharos?? Gallades mega was broken and only regular version is allowed, why something similar cant happen to Ampharos? Its mega usage is almost above the threeshold to drop rank and thats its MEGA. Maybe Regular Ampharos could live in this tier.
That's now how smogon tiers work in terms of usage. Mega Ampharos is irrelevant. What's relevant is Ampharos itself. What makes Ampharos a mega is the item, Ampharosite, and items do not count when it comes to usage.

Gallade is RU while Mega Gallade isn't usable in RU is because Galladite, the item that makes Gallade turn into Mega Gallade, is banned, hence Mega Gallade is not allowed.

To put it simply, Ampharos is used enough to make it UU. With Ampharosite (mega stone) or without, it doesn't matter.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What exactly is a pivot and is it important to have one?
The term, pivot, is used to describe a Pokemon that is designed to switch into attacks for certain teammates and either respond with a powerful attack of its own, support the team in some way, or switch back out to a better response (usually done with Choiced Pokemon) An offensive pivot will generally respond with a powerful attack of its own. These most notably include Dragalge, Escavalier, Eelektross, and Druddigon. A defensive pivot is likely to be more passive in nature and will generally support the team with moves such as Wish, Aromatherapy / Heal Bell, or Thunder Wave. Aromatisse and Cresselia are both solid examples of this. Finally, Regenerator users, such as Slowking, Alomomola, and Amoonguss, can switch into most neutral attacks as more of a scouting methods against predicted Choice item Pokemon and switch back out if the Pokemon in question uses a move that they aren't able to handle, all while using Regenerator to regain some of their lost HP. Pivots are most commonly seen on balanced, bulky offense, and stall teams, but hyper offense teams may carry something like Dragalge or Druddigon to sponge certain attacks and maintain offensive momentum.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thank you! Another basic question: What is an anti-lead? The name is kind of counterintuitive.
Anti-leads are basically what the name says, they're there to prevent opposing leads from setting down hazards or try to kill them quickly before they try to do anything. They used to be a lot more common before BW/XY when there was no team preview and all teams would have designated leads that usually set up stealth rock (or other things like dual screens). Anti-leads were used then to prevent that, an example is Machamp or Gengar in 4th gen OU.

In BW/XY however, anti-leads kinda died and it's very rare to see a Pokemon designed specifically to anti-lead the opponent, because not all teams have designated leads since they can choose any one of their 6 Pokemon to lead with. However, some teams do usually rely on a Pokemon for leading (rhyperior for example, to set up stealth rock early on) but that's not always the case unless it's hazards-stacking hyper offense, which usually leads with Omastar, Accelgor, Qwilfish, or other hazards-inducing Pokemon to kick off the game.

It's hard to use an example from today's metagame as an anti-lead simply because you would usually never see them..

ssorry if i'm overwhelming you with information lol

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cincinno is an example of an anti lead kind of, it prevents Omastar from setting rocks, and limits Accelgor to one layer of spikes (it beats two common leads).

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How would someone get back in the metagame if they had been out of it for a while (completely hypothetical and not at all an indication of what I might or might not be considering doing)?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How would someone get back in the metagame if they had been out of it for a while (completely hypothetical and not at all an indication of what I might or might not be considering doing)?
I'd check out the cores thread and the sample teams thread, I've found those to be really helpful. Can't link because on mobile but yeah :x

Anti-leads are basically what the name says, they're there to prevent opposing leads from setting down hazards or try to kill them quickly before they try to do anything. They used to be a lot more common before BW/XY when there was no team preview and all teams would have designated leads that usually set up stealth rock (or other things like dual screens). Anti-leads were used then to prevent that, an example is Machamp or Gengar in 4th gen OU.

In BW/XY however, anti-leads kinda died and it's very rare to see a Pokemon designed specifically to anti-lead the opponent, because not all teams have designated leads since they can choose any one of their 6 Pokemon to lead with. However, some teams do usually rely on a Pokemon for leading (rhyperior for example, to set up stealth rock early on) but that's not always the case unless it's hazards-stacking hyper offense, which usually leads with Omastar, Accelgor, Qwilfish, or other hazards-inducing Pokemon to kick off the game.

It's hard to use an example from today's metagame as an anti-lead simply because you would usually never see them..

ssorry if i'm overwhelming you with information lol
No that's awesome! There's a lot of terminology, and some of it, like Sweeper or Wallbreaker, are easy to find/figure out, but some of it seems more obscure/niche.

I've seen multiple mentions of Cresselia being able to be a bulky late-game sweeper, and I wanted to confirm if this was the SubCM set in the strategy dex, or if there is a more optimal set now, as i'm considering getting one on cart.

I've seen multiple mentions of Cresselia being able to be a bulky late-game sweeper, and I wanted to confirm if this was the SubCM set in the strategy dex, or if there is a more optimal set now, as i'm considering getting one on cart.
The Sub CM set has won me quite a few games, more often than not late in the game when threats to it are dealt with, so I would recommend it. The set is a good one because after a few CMs, the Sub becomes hard to break so Cress can gain a lot of momentum needed to finish the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)