Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've seen multiple mentions of Cresselia being able to be a bulky late-game sweeper, and I wanted to confirm if this was the SubCM set in the strategy dex, or if there is a more optimal set now, as i'm considering getting one on cart.
You can also run Moonlight over Substitute, Substitute is primarily used to beat status and avoid weak knock offs and similar attacks.

You can also run Moonlight over Substitute, Substitute is primarily used to beat status and avoid weak knock offs and similar attacks.
The Sub CM set has won me quite a few games, more often than not late in the game when threats to it are dealt with, so I would recommend it. The set is a good one because after a few CMs, the Sub becomes hard to break so Cress can gain a lot of momentum needed to finish the game.
Thanks!

actually would not recommend this, sub is a crucial move on this set as it allows cress to bypass toxic and other status that would otherwise be critical to it when it sets up calm minds. sub/cm/moonblast/moonlight is my favorite set, although often psyshock is run over moonlight to hit poison types.

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When do you predict the first test will happen, and what will the suspect(s) be if not Mega Sharpedo?

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Sharpedo is the first suspect and the council is aiming to do it after the tier shifts.
Well, we lost Mega Sharpedo. Do you guys have any other suspects lined up?
Thanks for the quick response btw :)

Hmm, I have a small question:
Which Mega's are RU/NU, and aren't explored much? I think of Camerupt/Steelix, but I might miss some.

I think their potential is underestimated, that's all

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I have a small question:
Which Mega's are RU/NU, and aren't explored much? I think of Camerupt/Steelix, but I might miss some.

I think their potential is underestimated, that's all
list of megas:

I'd add Audino to those two. You don't usually see those 3 commonly in RU ladder, along with Abomasnow (which is still good) and Banette, which reaaaally lost a lot of its viability in the transition to ORAS, and there are so many better megas.

Wait, Sceptile Mega is RU? What? That's ... crazy...considering Nasty Pass. Pidgeot is already described as a "all around Moltres" or something. Audino-Mega actually has decent stats, but no STAB of decent Fairy-Power.

I think I will explore more how well Steelix plays. Considering it is maybe the best Cresselia switch-in ever...hmm

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can we add Slurpuff to the suspect radar? If your team doesnt have a check you can lose to a belly drum, like HO or balance.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can we add Slurpuff to the suspect radar? If your team doesnt have a check you can lose to a belly drum, like HO or balance.
Then thats a flaw in your team building process, you should account for things like setup sweepers with stuff like priority encore or things that can take a hit.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HO dont carry bulky checks lol I stopped playing HO because puff will get a free setup by good players.
HO usually doesn't give slurpuff much chance to set up and that's how you beat it; stuff like Rhyperior, Bronzong, Escavalier will always live a hit from full (escavalier dies after SR to drain punch but lives if at 100%) and can easily kill or in rhyperior's case, roar.

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Balance and stall can deal with puff its aids to play using HO

which is a problem, people shouldnt beable to ladder by spamming belly drum imo

must just be me :3 not a fan of running a slot just for puff

list of megas:

I'd add Audino to those two. You don't usually see those 3 commonly in RU ladder, along with Abomasnow (which is still good) and Banette, which reaaaally lost a lot of its viability in the transition to ORAS, and there are so many better megas.
Your list is missing Glalie, which is arguably one of the best mega evolutions right now, as it has a very restricted list of switch ins(Bronzong, Escavalier, Doublade, Mega Steelix and little else), expecially when taking into account Super Fang. Or it could run Ice Shard instead of Super Fang and threaten a lot of fast Pokémon such as Mega Sceptile and Mega Pidgeot.

Is it just me, or are y'all a little too hard on Ambipom?

I mean, I won't deny that it has more than a few crippling flaws, namely its frailty and its inability to muscle past most physical walls. But I've seen multiple posts deriding it as worthless Spinda-tier garbage, and honestly, I don't think it's that bad. It has good speed and a decently powerful Technician- boosted Fake Out. The few times I've used it, it actually did pretty okay as a lead annoyer/ harasser/ revenge killer. Works okay in Monotype too, from what I've seen (though that's not really relevant to this thread).

Then again, I absolutely love monkeys, so maybe I'm just biased in that regard :/

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me, or are y'all a little too hard on Ambipom?

I mean, I won't deny that it has more than a few crippling flaws, namely its frailty and its inability to muscle past most physical walls. But I've seen multiple posts deriding it as worthless Spinda-tier garbage, and honestly, I don't think it's that bad. It has good speed and a decently powerful Technician- boosted Fake Out. The few times I've used it, it actually did pretty okay as a lead annoyer/ harasser/ revenge killer. Works okay in Monotype too, from what I've seen (though that's not really relevant to this thread).

Then again, I absolutely love monkeys, so maybe I'm just biased in that regard :/
Yes, Ambipom really is as bad as we make it sound to be. It offers no useful type synergy as an offensive pokemon and is outclassed by every other offensive normal type, such as zangoose, Tauros, Cincinno, and some others due to greater power or move pool.
The only thing that it has going for it is technician boosted fake out, but that is pretty mediocre at best considering how many physically bulky pokemon there are in the tier, and many offensive pokemon resist its normal stab moves.
Edit: @ below - yeah, I agree with that, makes sense.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Additionally, Ambipom could be annoying to /some/ HO teams, but its literally useless against any kind of team with a defensive backbone.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And even then, most HO teams with Cobalion can hold Ambipom at bay long enough to knock it out. There's also the addition of Mega Pidgeot, yet another dangerous Pokemon that outspeeds Ambipom. And to add insult to injury, Mega Pidgeot has Roost to keep Fake Out from overwhelming it over time. Ambipom may not be Spinda-tier bad in terms of how it hits, but it is Spinda-tier bad in terms of opportunity cost. Almost any other Normal-type out there outclasses it.

Yes, Ambipom really is as bad as we make it sound to be. It offers no useful type synergy as an offensive pokemon and is outclassed by every other offensive normal type, such as zangoose, Tauros, Cincinno, and some others due to greater power or move pool.
The only thing that it has going for it is technician boosted fake out, but that is pretty mediocre at best considering how many physically bulky pokemon there are in the tier, and many offensive pokemon resist its normal stab moves.
Edit: @ below - yeah, I agree with that, makes sense.
Additionally, Ambipom could be annoying to /some/ HO teams, but its literally useless against any kind of team with a defensive backbone.
And even then, most HO teams with Cobalion can hold Ambipom at bay long enough to knock it out. There's also the addition of Mega Pidgeot, yet another dangerous Pokemon that outspeeds Ambipom. And to add insult to injury, Mega Pidgeot has Roost to keep Fake Out from overwhelming it over time. Ambipom may not be Spinda-tier bad in terms of how it hits, but it is Spinda-tier bad in terms of opportunity cost. Almost any other Normal-type out there outclasses it.
Yeah, I think I understand now. Thanks, to all of you.

Pity, really. I liked Ambipom. Though I guess I'll always have Infernape and Darmanitan in UU if I want to use a decent primate :P

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Yeah, I think I understand now. Thanks, to all of you.

Pity, really. I liked Ambipom. Though I guess I'll always have Infernape and Darmanitan in UU if I want to use a decent primate :P
Ambipom isn't nearly as bad as people say. Low kick gets a nice 2hko on cobalion or a ko with return and low kick if you get high rolls and no leftovers which is a common normal resist on faster paced teams so that is extremely useful. Fake out combined with return gets a lot of damage on basically everything that you outspeed and doesn't resist. Even max hp dragale is kod by the combo given average/slightly below average rolls without sr.One of the big problems is that you want to put about three moves in the last slot uturn knock off and ice punch to troll gligar into a 2hko or weakening him enough so it can't wall your other physical attacker. The other big problem is the lack of defense and resists which means you rarely get a chance to switch in. ambipom for the most part counters nothing which is terrible.

Don't believe people who say zangoose outclassed you because you have a hefty speed advantage and zangoose is even frailer with bad stats and poison. Zangoose really functions a lot more like a wall breaker unlike ambipom which revenges and cleans later.

The biggest problem again is that ambipom cannot switch in almost ever so if it's in that probably means one of your guys just fainted and that's generally a bad thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)