Resource Useful LC stuff / Introductions / Simple Questions Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question that's probably been answered before.. I was playing LC on showdown using a shell smash clamperl for awhile, then noticed two things.. the level cap is set at 5.. however clamperl only learns shell smash at lv. 50, and only at lv. 50. How is it possible for us to use moves like these on little cup mons?
Breeding ingame lets you get moves from higher levels onto level 5 pokemon, so it is legal.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a question that's probably been answered before.. I was playing LC on showdown using a shell smash clamperl for awhile, then noticed two things.. the level cap is set at 5.. however clamperl only learns shell smash at lv. 50, and only at lv. 50. How is it possible for us to use moves like these on little cup mons?
What Kavatika said.

For instance, a Level 57 Male Pangoro and a Level 57 Female Pangoro, both with Parting Shot will produce a Level 1 Pancham with Parting Shot; any move both parents learn by level-up will be transferred to its offspring if they both know it.

Hey guys, I'm new to LC. In fact, I'm new to relatively new to competitive battling all together, but when I started I thought 'what's the point playing anything but OU', but then the ideas grew on me.

I'm wondering, how do you guys think that Cubone could be used in a team? That Pokemon is the main reason I thought about having a little cup team.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cubone has several effective ways it can be run. Sticky Web is a great way to run it and abuse its massive attacking stat. However, alternatively, it can be run on a trick room team or even on a normal team with the appropriate structure that appreciates having pokemon smacked about. Quick Passing to Cubone is also a great strategy, but can be difficult at times and requires a decent matchup. I'm just going to quote myself here to give you an idea of what to expect of cubone.
Cubone @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bonemerang / Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch / Swords Dance

Roles: Wallbreaker

What It Does: Cubone shatters even the metagme's most defensive walls thanks to the item, Thick Club, doubling Cubone's attack. With Thick Club, Cubone reaches an astounding 28 attack with an neutral nature. This monstrous attack is sturdily supported with Cubone's movepool, leaving a grand total of zero safe switch ins for this beast. Bonemerang allows Cubone to bypass Sturdy (sometimes) and Focus Sash pokemon, especially useful with Sticky Web support, however using Earthquake is also an option to avoid untimely misses. Rock Tomb is a perfect second move, allowing Cubone to outpace the entire unboosted metagame and providing EdgeQuake coverage, while also remaining powerful enough (and more accurate than the other alternatives). Knock Off is Cubone's third move, allowing pokemon to be crippled easily while also securing the 2HKO on Berry Juice pokemon and Lileep/Slowpoke. Lastly, Fire Punch is used over Swords Dance to defeat Ferroseed with much more ease, however Swords Dance allows Cubone to OHKO almost the entire tier, save a few select pokemon.

Good Teammates: Torchic is an obvious pairing with Cubone, as Torchic can pass both Speed and attack boosts to Cubone, letting it annihilate everything if successful. Archen can set up Stealth Rock for Cubone allowing it to secure more KOes after a Swords Dance, while also providing a decent answer to the numerous Fighting types who'll try to land a Knock Off on Cubone. Mienfoo, Trubbish, and Shellos each easily sponge the Knock Offs aimed at Cubone, each with their individual perks; Mienfoo is just a generally great pokemon which can easily deal with most Knock Off users while also retaining insane longevity, Trubbish provides hazard support for Cubone, securing everything dies if they come in on two layers of spikes when Cubone is at +2, and Shellos has the perk of being amazingly bulky with burn support and reliable recovery. Sticky Web support is also a godsend for Cubone, letting it outspeed much more of the metagame, letting even less check it.

What Counters It: Nothing actually can boast to counter Cubone. However, a fair amount of pokemon can revenge kill Cubone or cripple it. For example, Mienfoo can take one hit, then cripple with Knock Off, and then switch out again for Regenerator. Staryu can abuse Cubone's lower Speed and Special Defense KO with Scald. Vulpix outspeeds and KOes as well. Eviolite Aipom beats Cubone with the combination of Knock Off and Fury Swipes/Seed Bomb.

Any Additional Info: Don't let it get a pass from Torchic, or set an SD with Sticky Web support. Also actively try to hit Cubone with a Knock Off, it makes Cubone useless usually.
Oh, and welcome to Little Cup!

I haven't played little cup in about 5 months, and was wondering if I can get some help building a sandstorm team (have hippopotas, drilbur, sandshrew so far)

I haven't played little cup in about 5 months, and was wondering if I can get some help building a sandstorm team (have hippopotas, drilbur, sandshrew so far)
Hey there, you can request a Sandstorm team to be built in the Little Cup Team Shop which has some of the finest of teambuilders in LC. And about Sandstorm based teams they aren't that solid in this gen with weather not being permanent anymore so you won't like to have your team based totally around it, maybe just Hippo+Dril will be fine.

Hey there, you can request a Sandstorm team to be built in the Little Cup Team Shop which has some of the finest of teambuilders in LC. And about Sandstorm based teams they aren't that solid in this gen with weather not being permanent anymore so you won't like to have your team based totally around it, maybe just Hippo+Dril will be fine.
I was considering dropping sandshrew already and thanks for the help

Here is a nice sand thread that can give you some basis for sand.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sand-in-lc.3496905/
In this thread, Gligar is listed as a sand abuser, but it is banned now, so you can't use it. Vullaby is decent option in sand that wasn't listed, because of it's overcoat ability and the ability to deal with grass types.
And like Yagura said, full sand isn't the best, because of weather nerf, so a full sand team is definitely not your best option.

I noticed alot of this metagame's standard playing with drain punch, giga drain, berries and regen can all be disabled for 5 turns with Heal Block.
...but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work correctly on Showdown...what does the real LC community think of this move?

heal block could be interesting I guess, but unfortunately all the users of it either are complete and total garbage or have better options, or both. as you take the turn to use the move, you're being damaged, which is never good.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
heal block could be interesting I guess, but unfortunately all the users of it either are complete and total garbage or have better options, or both. as you take the turn to use the move, you're being damaged, which is never good.
Gothita could be fun.

If it's not working on PS, it should definitely be fixed. Hiddenfreezer I'd recommend taking this over to here if you're sure that it's a bug.

Hi, I'm new to Smogon and new to Little Cup, not new to competitive Battling though, as I've been battling in OU from time to time when I feel like it
Decided to try a new tier, and I've always wanted to play with cute small baby Pokemon
What do you guys think of my team as of now?

I wanted to go for a more unique team with Amaura and Fennekin, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of my team

Hi, I'm new to Smogon and new to Little Cup, not new to competitive Battling though, as I've been battling in OU from time to time when I feel like it
Decided to try a new tier, and I've always wanted to play with cute small baby Pokemon

I wanted to go for a more unique team with Amaura and Fennekin, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of my team
Where exactly can we view your team?

I'm not sure what this thread feels about having teams posted in it, but this team does need some serious work. I'd suggest taking a look at the LC viability rankings found here. Also, taking a look at the Smogon sets or analyses they have for LC is another great way to see which Pokemon's roles are and how they can perform them. I'd post your team into ORAS Other Teams and the friendly people over there can help you further by suggesting changes for your team to better it. Welcome to LC and hopefully see you around, don't be afraid to VM me any questions!

Welcome Geckopa ! I think your team is a bit rock weak , you should run Eviolite over Berry Juice on Wingull and over Air Balloon on Amaura . Maybe run LifeOrb or Eviolite on Aipom too .
I suggest you to read guides in the LC subforum if you want to make a competitive team , even if i think this team is only made for fun .

2 Things that are not about the team.
1. you can export your team into like a pastebin or something by going to your team, and clicking the Import/Export button next to the place where you can change your title. It should give you your team in easy ready to paste form. It is basically easier to read.

2. There is a specific "section" of Smogon where you can get your team rated
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/oras-other-teams.292/
Just press the Blue Rectangular Button in the top left hand corner that says, "Post New Thread." Then, you can make a RMT if you want, which is where you basically display your team and give about 3 lines of description
RULES: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-teams-rules-read-before-making-an-rmt.3501444/

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Geckopa I played you earlier in the LC room tour. I was confused that i outsped a lot of things and i see why now. Now i see why. But it's okay, you're new to this and still learning. Allow me to give you a bit of advice.

I would say don't use Defog on a Sticky Web team, try a spinner so you can keep your webs up and also bone your enemy's hazards. Staryu and Drilbur are prolly the two best Spinners right now.

Geckopa I played you earlier in the LC room tour. I was confused that i outsped a lot of things and i see why now. Now i see why. But it's okay, you're new to this and still learning. Allow me to give you a bit of advice.

I would say don't use Defog on a Sticky Web team, try a spinner so you can keep your webs up and also bone your enemy's hazards. Staryu and Drilbur are prolly the two best Spinners right now.
Oh hey it's you
Thanks for the tips man, I think I'll use Drilbur, but what do you think about that? Should I go with him or go with Staryu?

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They both have their own boons and issues.

Drilbur
+EdgeQuake is mostly unresisted and nails a lot of shit
+SR + Spin makes it a strong setter as well as a spinner in the same mon
+17 is a good speed
-Speed is shared with a LOT
-Pumpkaboo spinblocks and beats you
-Not very bulky

Staryu
+hits 18 (Neutral Nature but Max Speed)/19 (Timid Nature with Max Speed)
+Beats all Webbers with ease
+Has recovery
+Good coverage in Tbolt / Psychic / Ice Beam / Dazzling Gleam (if ur into that) / Hidden Power
- Crap defenses
- Coverage is super important and will make / break it

EDIT: it's almost 5am if anyone can list things i missed, that would be lovely <3

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
They both have their own boons and issues.

Drilbur
+EdgeQuake is mostly unresisted and nails a lot of shit
+SR + Spin makes it a strong setter as well as a spinner in the same mon
+17 is a good speed
-Speed is shared with a LOT
-Pumpkaboo spinblocks and beats you
-Not very bulky

Staryu
+hits 18 (Neutral Nature but Max Speed)/19 (Timid Nature with Max Speed)
+Beats all Webbers with ease
+Has recovery
+Good coverage in Tbolt / Psychic / Ice Beam / Dazzling Gleam (if ur into that) / Hidden Power
- Crap defenses
- Coverage is super important and will make / break it

EDIT: it's almost 5am if anyone can list things i missed, that would be lovely <3
Staryu's actual defenses are fine (nothing wrong with 55/55), it just has shit HP.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Cubone has several effective ways it can be run. Sticky Web is a great way to run it and abuse its massive attacking stat. However, alternatively, it can be run on a trick room team or even on a normal team with the appropriate structure that appreciates having pokemon smacked about. Quick Passing to Cubone is also a great strategy, but can be difficult at times and requires a decent matchup. I'm just going to quote myself here to give you an idea of what to expect of cubone.

Oh, and welcome to Little Cup!
I'm a fan of Cubone and Marowak, they just hate the perpetual Knock Off spam that has overtaken the entirety of all pokemon Metagames. I guess you could run SD though to mitigate the loss of thick club.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not really sure if we're still doing introductions here.

I'm Deinosaur and I've been playing LC for a long time now--but never well. I'm being tutored and have been playing quite a bit lately.

Even in a few weeks I've learned a lot and LC is my favorite tier to play because of all the viability from many different mons. Plus they're cute. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)