The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

You're diverting (and trying to imply that everyone in this thread is a nerd except you?) towards something that's not representative of this thread. Literally every post here has ranged from "I loved all of is" to "I generally liked it but x bothers me" to "x season was better".
I think you might have missed the enormous one million paragraph post calling out all the shit Korra didn't do perfectly. I don't blame you though I have trouble reading sometimes too.
Also yes I am pretty cool thank you for catching on.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To get back on topic, how do most people here feel about Bataar Jr.'s role in the season? After seeing him try to prevent the cannon from firing on Opal I was extremely surprised to not see a scene where Kuvira threatened and pushed him away the same way she did to Bolin and Varrick. Coupled with the non-chalant decision by Kuvira to sacrifice him (which, as von previously mentioned, helps to give Kuvira no real solid characterization [she doesn't want anyone to suffer, except people that are ethnically inferior, people who disagree with her, and people who she can throw away for "progress"]), I feel like he might be one of the characters that originally had a more important role before they had to cut some episodes.
I thought Kuvira's Gambit (what gambit? showing up with Metal Gear is not a gambit) was the worst episode of the season, and only a super busy work week stopped me from posting about it, but a lot of that post would already be covered above.

So yeah, Jr. is a super confusing character, especially if you rewatch early episodes. When exactly does he go from still wanting to be on good terms with his family to being super butthurt by them? What exactly is his beef with them? The fact that it is INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS that Kuvira would try to kill Jr. early in that episode when they embrace only confuses the two characters more. Also when did he have time to build a Metal Gear when he was also building the spirit gun? That's a billion times more out of nowhere and unexplained than Blue Korra. Ah but what the hell, METAL GEAR.

His beef is that they don't support the woman he's in love with, which is enough to turn someone against his family. Bataar Jr., to me, is written and feels a lot like Percy Weasley from the HP series (which is, coincidentally, also written for kids) in both his motivations and storyline. Both betray their families because of a lack of support (the Beifongs condemning Kuvira and the Weasleys condemning the Ministry) and both eventually returning once realizing the error of their ways.

As for the robot, I'd imagine that that's what the taking down of the Zaofu domes was for. We never see Bataar Jr. working on the robot directly, but I can't imagine that he spent every second of the day on the spirit weapon. Even if he did, there were probably dozens, if not hundreds of other workers helping to build the robot, which Kuvira herself was likely in charge of.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1. "The whole thing is platinum! Even the joints!"
2. They said that Kuvira took down the Zaofu domes to build metal gear
3. How could they raise and lower the domes through metalbending if they were made from platinum?

Platinum the Plot Device has given me so many headaches throughout this entire series. But what the hell, it's gotta have some suspension of disbelief cause fantasy.

Was going to suggest that the domes were made out of platinum to begin with and were brought down with the aid of bending rather than with bending itself, but after rewatching parts of episodes 6 and 10, that's not the case. You're right. It's an asspull. :v

EDIT: Perhaps the robot was just coated with platinum to make it nigh-impossible for metalbenders to deform? The platinum coating could have come from ore deposits that Kuvira said she was mining, like from the town that Von mentioned on the last page. I dunno, that's all I got.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It was implied that Jr. was always in the shadow of his father so he wanted to separate himself from his family by going with Kuvira and become one of the leaders of the Earth Kingdom Empire.

I felt like Kuvira's gambit was justified imo. Jr. said to call off the attack so they could be together, but Kuvira sacrificed him because she realized that his resolve for reuniting the Empire was weakened.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I thought Kuvira's Gambit (what gambit? showing up with Metal Gear is not a gambit) was the worst episode of the season, and only a super busy work week stopped me from posting about it, but a lot of that post would already be covered above.

So yeah, Jr. is a super confusing character, especially if you rewatch early episodes. When exactly does he go from still wanting to be on good terms with his family to being super butthurt by them? What exactly is his beef with them? The fact that it is INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS that Kuvira would try to kill Jr. early in that episode when they embrace only confuses the two characters more. Also when did he have time to build a Metal Gear when he was also building the spirit gun? That's a billion times more out of nowhere and unexplained than Blue Korra. Ah but what the hell, METAL GEAR.
The gambit is firing on them even though Bataar Jr was there...

"A gambit (from ancient Italian gambetto, meaning tripping) is a chess opening in which a player, more often White, sacrifices material, usually a pawn, with the hope of achieving a resulting advantageous position."

The most amazing thing is that writers are actually getting feedback from the fans. I think that Bryan Konietzko using a fan term "Korrasami" is quite nice and get you the feeling to be closer to writers and maybe alter the original story.

(I was getting this feeling from Tite Kube too, I truly belief that he is following the Bleach thread on smogon)

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Still wanting to point out that he admits to not really going all-in until the finally, which means the people who were saying "it came so strong so suddenly" are not wrong. They did lay it on kind of thick relative to how they had approached it before.

BUT STILL. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Still wanting to point out that he admits to not really going all-in until the finally, which means the people who were saying "it came so strong so suddenly" are not wrong. They did lay it on kind of thick relative to how they had approached it before.

BUT STILL. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE.
"If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens."

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
"If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens."
"relative to how they approached it before"

Ever see a movie where some friends smile and jocularly insult each other and go on with their lives and suddenly one of them flips all fucking shit and yells at the other person for how belittled they feel about all their jokes. If you have it works only because they tonally earned it by building tensions so that the emotional shift is logical and organic.

A tonal shift from "subdued allusions" to "they are making out with their eyeballs" is a sudden change and he even admits that it happened only at the end.

I mean fuck if you want me to be a total dick I could argue that philosophically speaking what the author intends doesn't fucking matter (#theauthorisdead), so I could still be right anyway. For example, a writer writes a story between a gay couple in which they are persecuted and die but they still loved each other. He could've written with the intent of showing gay love isn't worth the condemnation, but it could be perceived as their love IS worth the condemnation, therefore what he intended didn't matter it's what he actually wrote. So weeeee I claim total victory! #cruxlives #hailbetocrux #incoherentcrux

But since I'm not a fuck suck, I will say I LOOOOOOOOSE, and that they are totally a couple, I just don't feel like they sufficiently had enough cheek-blushing for my tastes. (Or in terms that are less tongue in cheek, there wasn't enough interactions that showed either one of them showing any sexual tension to earn the ending as they intended it).

Last edited:
moving on from Korrasami for a bit - what did everyone think about the bending in the finale? It wasn't nearly as grandiose as in Sozin's Comet, but it was tight and controlled and had some really cool moments.

Plus we got to see Bolin bend a building

moving on from Korrasami for a bit - what did everyone think about the bending in the finale? It wasn't nearly as grandiose as in Sozin's Comet, but it was tight and controlled and had some really cool moments.

Plus we got to see Bolin bend a building
Spirit bending Korra was slay

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Did a quick search and I don't think anyone's mentioned this theory: does anyone think Bolin can lavabend due to inheriting some level of firebending from his mother? It wouldn't be a stretch at all to assume that Ghazan's parents were also an Earthbender and Firebender and aside from those two, everyone else who has done it was an Avatar. I think this kinda goes into how bending ability works genetically.

Did a quick search and I don't think anyone's mentioned this theory: does anyone think Bolin can lavabend due to inheriting some level of firebending from his mother? It wouldn't be a stretch at all to assume that Ghazan's parents were also an Earthbender and Firebender and aside from those two, everyone else who has done it was an Avatar. I think this kinda goes into how bending ability works genetically.
Doesn't it then stand to reason that Mako should be able to do it too?

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lavabending is a form of earthbending (at least from what we know) so Mako wouldn't be able to regardless. I've thought that Bolin's lavabending has something to do with his mixed bending heritage, it'd be interesting if we get confirmation through comics or some other method that Ghazan came from the colonies and has parents of each bending.

HEY GUYS CHECK OUT MY LAPTOP

Also I don't think mixed heritage has anything to do with lava bending. Lava is just molten rock so it makes sense that a lavabender can change rock to lava just like a waterbender can change ice to water. Obviously rock has a much higher melting point than ice so it makes sense that the skill is extremely rare compared to changing the state of water, which any waterbender is able to do

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Lavabending is a form of earthbending (at least from what we know) so Mako wouldn't be able to regardless. I've thought that Bolin's lavabending has something to do with his mixed bending heritage, it'd be interesting if we get confirmation through comics or some other method that Ghazan came from the colonies and has parents of each bending.

V mentioned that he had Sun Warrior tatoo's earlier in this thread (the guys who retaught Zuko firebending).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)