ORAS In-game Tier List - Read Post #324

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that the fastest way of completing the game at the moment is to catch a DexNav Taillow (no egg move required, it's done just for the +10 level advantage) and toabuse Poison+Guts+ STAB Facade. Poison is frequent when facing Grimers, and you avoid Pokemon Centres to prolong the poison effect unless you need the PP.

Essentially it's a OHKO against...everything? Swellow also has an extremely high base speed, and cannot be affected by any other status moves while poisoned as a nice bonus.

You do end up using Kyogre for the E4 since it's so ridiculously overpowered.

I don't know if we would consider the DexNav Taillow for the purposes of this list or not, but the strategy is clearly optimal and should definitely be enough to rocket it straight to S Tier.

Playthrough for reference:

http://www.twitch.tv/eekcast/v/3615465

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I cant quite quote everything but Im going to do my best:

- Elemental Fang Poochyena is probably your strongest Pokemon aside from your starter in most battles for the earlygame. Though 95% accuracy is so-so Poochyena has a higher Attack stat than most Pokemon surrounding it and the move has a much higher base power than many moves around it. Consider that the only victory is maybe Zigzagoon's STAB Tackle for power and even then - Ziggy has base 20 Attack and it gets weak fast. Dont even mention Headbutt - it isnt available until Level 11 now when Poochyena gets Bite a little faster (Level 9). Mine was Ice Fang and it proved to be pretty damn useful earlygame and Im sure it could last midgame. Quick Feet as an ability isnt bad either and gives a reason to look at Facade too.

Also wrt drains - being slower for drain attacks isnt a bad thing (as is being faster sometimes). Shroomish, for example, is slower but much bulkier than Treecko / Grovyle.

I also am somewhat baffled you even mentioned "type matchup scenario" even though the majority of the Elite 4 and important fights all have a type theyre always weak against (Fairy, Dark / Ghost, Fighting). Bringing up this argument also kind of hurts Slaking because under the same argument we can simply use these Pokemon (or hell just overpower it with Kyogre / Groudon but this is besides the point). Like IOS also mentioned - shifting isnt always the most efficient way of dealing things (scenarios also call against set being inefficient but it is likely less common especially later in the game).

Finally I will once again laugh at how you put Geodude in B when it single-hanfedly handles the majority of Pokemon on many routes the trainer goes through and through 4 gyms without breaking a sweat if done properly. Geodude has no business being below Pokemon like Electrike who are much more subpar against important fights and only excels past Norman on (a lot of this has to do with its Mega Evolution too). The same for a Pokemon like Absol who is existent much later in the game and only has a few fights where it really excels above others - and also has to worry about its frailty when setting up. Hell on most ocassions it outperformed Treecko since Grass' s typing is ass offensively and there are a slew of Pokemon that resist it (Almost all of Team Aqua / Magma, Bug Catchers / Maniacs, Ninja Boys, Bird Trainers, etc). After Roxanne it does average versus Wattson and never gets a real leg up until Tate / Liza, Wallace, and then Drake since Dual Chop after a Swords Dance should KO (may miss but 2 SDs should guarantee it). Golem smashes through Wattson, Flannery, Winona (seriously the only threat is Pelliper), and does so-so against some of Steven's Pokemon (gets through Skarmory with Smack Down + Earthquake, gets through Aggron with Stealth Rock plus Earthquake, also can get through Armaldo IIRC. Megagross is iffy because Golem could take some damage prior to Megagross' s appearance). Im also not saying Sceptile is bad, but to continue putting Geodude an entire tier under Treecko is very laughable when it carries many portions of the game just on its typing alone.

Honestly with what I used of the fang Poochyena, I agree with this assessment. I tried out Fire Fang Poochyena for a short while before dropping it for Magnemite and I was really unimpressed. Having a 95% Accurate move as your only attacking move for several levels that is not much better than Tackle is a bit of a downer and really does not help it that much. Sure you do far better against the Route 110 Grovyle** and you perform a bit better against Wattson (which is already a bad matchup) but it really adds nothing special to its performance. You still do not beat Roxanne and against Brawly it can work against you. I am not sure on the other fangs but based on this alone, Elemental Fang Poochyena is no better than normal Poochyena.

Also I agree that Magnemite is not worth S.
The average power of Fire Fang factoring in the 5% chance to miss is good enough, 61,75. It gets no STAB, making Bite a more universal option for Poochyena early on, but seeing how there are barely any dark-weak psychics or ghosts around for a rather long period of time (Sableye and Ralts take neutral damage), Fire Fang will see good application. The other two fangs will have other uses, but it's important to remember that Thunder Fang will fail to carry out the purpose it was created for - strike Marshtomp's long-lost weakness to electric-type moves.

I'm not necessarily insisting that Magnemite should be in S-tier, simply stating it loses considerably to other candidates in my eyes. If the S-tier is significantly cut in size to include only the best of the best (like the X/Y S-tier), I'd definitely argue Magnemite should go in the tier directly below S.

It appears that the fastest way of completing the game at the moment is to catch a DexNav Taillow (no egg move required, it's done just for the +10 level advantage) and toabuse Poison+Guts+ STAB Facade. Poison is frequent when facing Grimers, and you avoid Pokemon Centres to prolong the poison effect unless you need the PP.

Essentially it's a OHKO against...everything? Swellow also has an extremely high base speed, and cannot be affected by any other status moves while poisoned as a nice bonus.

You do end up using Kyogre for the E4 since it's so ridiculously overpowered.

I don't know if we would consider the DexNav Taillow for the purposes of this list or not, but the strategy is clearly optimal and should definitely be enough to rocket it straight to S Tier.
Thanks a lot for sharing the run, but even though I'd like to see Taillow high up on the tier list - either in A or B tier depending on what the contents of each tier end up looking like - I really disagree here; this is certainly not enough to appear in S-tier because it's so irrelevant to the tiering criteria. Reasons? Too many. Let's see...

1) The runner constantly uses X items to make Swellow's performance passable to progress at a steady pace. While this is a must in any decent speedrun, Smogon's in-game tier lists have always left X items out as means of artificially boosting a Pokemon's stats and erasing many of the lines that make the available Pokemon different.

2) Without X items, Swellow lacks natural means of setup, such as Bulk Up, Power-Up Punch or Swords Dance.

3) Taillow's gym matchups are frankly quite poor. Has no place against Roxanne, is under great risk against Brawley in spite of having a powerful super-effective attack to offer, disposable against Wattson, far from perfect against Flannery even should you go to the lengths of getting it poisoned beforehand because of Torkoal's enormous bulk, bumps into walls when facing the likes of Skarmory or Magcargo, yet again disposable against Tate and Liza (the speedrunner resorts to using Latias here, probably because teaching Steel Wing demands frames wasted?).

4) You're saying Kyogre/Groudon are so good that it only makes sense Swellow is absent during the endgame portion of the runthrough, but the simple truth here is that Swellow would get utterly destroyed if it tried to keep speedrunning the game, even if it bathed in a thousand Grimers and X items beforehand. Ghost types abound, Steven's bulky types that resist normal-type moves, and the opposition is generally very bulky and competent.

5) Guts + Facade strats are nothing new, though OR/AS Swellow stands out both as the fastest user of STAB Facade as well as the earliest user of the move (though Raticate can get Facade in HG/SS about as early with a bit of manipulation). Still, it's quite a nuisance to get poisoned each time for the large attack bonus to kick in. You cite Grimers as a common source of poison, but the wild ones are available in just one area, that being Fiery Path, and those used by trainers are rather uncommon.

6) This tier list judges Pokemon as part of a 4-5 mon team, and when Swellow is just one of the five, it doesn't make any sense that you waste time getting it poisoned, or restore PP with Leppa Berries (probably not done in a speedrun because touching trees wastes precious frames) to avoid Pokemon Centre visits which would benefit the other 80% of the party (who according to the unwritten or sometimes written rules of Smogon in-game tiering are supposed to be quite active battlers, wearing the PP out in no time at all).

Facade+Guts is probably best seen as an interesting situational reaction to being status'd in the worst case, or a powerful strategy with a heavy opportunity cost of severely limiting your playstyle at its best, though it seems like it doesn't match the playstyle necessitated in this thread at all. Should a list of Pokemon ranked according to how well they speedrun the game with all means available (X items, soloing, skipping things because they spend frames, etc.) be made, Taillow just might top such a list for this game, but not one for a full-team efficiency.

I'm willing to hype Swellow as an early user of relearned Brave Bird, myself, though, but it's got absolutely nothing on the likes of Abra, Torchic or Marill, and doesn't fare so well when compared to the ones below these as well.

- Elemental Fang Poochyena is probably your strongest Pokemon aside from your starter in most battles for the earlygame. Though 95% accuracy is so-so Poochyena has a higher Attack stat than most Pokemon surrounding it and the move has a much higher base power than many moves around it. Consider that the only victory is maybe Zigzagoon's STAB Tackle for power and even then - Ziggy has base 20 Attack and it gets weak fast. Dont even mention Headbutt - it isnt available until Level 11 now when Poochyena gets Bite a little faster (Level 9). Mine was Ice Fang and it proved to be pretty damn useful earlygame and Im sure it could last midgame. Quick Feet as an ability isnt bad either and gives a reason to look at Facade too.
Okay, Poochyena with Bite and a fang is a leader in offence at the outstanding level of 10, at least until we consider there's a Pokemon like Beautifly who was buffed up quite a bit since the first instalment. But what exactly are we doing at lv. 10? We're travelling to the first gym where the moves in Poochyena's possible set don't give it any advantage whatsoever. But sure enough, you can boast faster kills against the likes of Wurmple in Petalburg Woods because this has to be the most important period of the game and one that warrants raising an absolutely atrocious Pokemon into a very high tier.

Also wrt drains - being slower for drain attacks isnt a bad thing (as is being faster sometimes). Shroomish, for example, is slower but much bulkier than Treecko / Grovyle.
If you are fast, you are in full control of the battlefield. Switch into a target your drain is sure to kill, and you get your health back without taking a counter. Shroomish is at the mercy of the enemy AI when he wants to gain some HP back (and he gains less of it back due to low sp. atk. base).

I also am somewhat baffled you even mentioned "type matchup scenario" even though the majority of the Elite 4 and important fights all have a type theyre always weak against (Fairy, Dark / Ghost, Fighting). Bringing up this argument also kind of hurts Slaking because under the same argument we can simply use these Pokemon (or hell just overpower it with Kyogre / Groudon but this is besides the point). Like IOS also mentioned - shifting isnt always the most efficient way of dealing things (scenarios also call against set being inefficient but it is likely less common especially later in the game).
Different Pokemon have different dual types (which are sufficient to cancel out the weakness of the common type at times) and they also have very specific movepools - say, Salamence's lack of EQ makes Mawile a good switch-in. A simple example - Magneton's electric-moves are effective against water-types, but it's hardly taking on a full team of water-types on its own due to a lack of a water-resistance, and you have mons like Whiscash or Swampert who wall him completely.

Why this is good for Slaking is that he mostly ignores matchups because his big nuke move strikes a large portion of potential serious threats with a neutral STAB move. Exceptions would be ghosts, steels and rocks, but some combination of Hammer Arm, Shadow Claw and Counter used wisely can make Slaking excel in these seemingly unfavourable matchups as well.

I'm really not interested in what benefits set battle style brings to the heavy restraints of a speedrun, because the context we're discussing differs to a large extent. It is less of a headache to be able to switch to an appropriate wall than to do it when you're under enemy fire. For mons like Carvanha (which iirc you two tried to advertise as an exemplary mon for efficiency due to fast surfing), not leading with this one means you'll be getting OHKO'd or brutralised every time you attempt to switch it into Numel or something else.

I get that it's the right battle style for speedrunning because soloing and sweeping is how you should ideally play out every single battle there, but nobody's forcing us to rush through the game with a flaming torch stuck up our backsides. I mean, you don't even get the frames to box the useless Pokemon in a speedrun, do you?

Finally I will once again laugh at how you put Geodude in B when it single-hanfedly handles the majority of Pokemon on many routes the trainer goes through and through 4 gyms without breaking a sweat if done properly. Geodude has no business being below Pokemon like Electrike who are much more subpar against important fights and only excels past Norman on (a lot of this has to do with its Mega Evolution too). The same for a Pokemon like Absol who is existent much later in the game and only has a few fights where it really excels above others - and also has to worry about its frailty when setting up. Hell on most ocassions it outperformed Treecko since Grass' s typing is ass offensively and there are a slew of Pokemon that resist it (Almost all of Team Aqua / Magma, Bug Catchers / Maniacs, Ninja Boys, Bird Trainers, etc). After Roxanne it does average versus Wattson and never gets a real leg up until Tate / Liza, Wallace, and then Drake since Dual Chop after a Swords Dance should KO (may miss but 2 SDs should guarantee it). Golem smashes through Wattson, Flannery, Winona (seriously the only threat is Pelliper), and does so-so against some of Steven's Pokemon (gets through Skarmory with Smack Down + Earthquake, gets through Aggron with Stealth Rock plus Earthquake, also can get through Armaldo IIRC. Megagross is iffy because Golem could take some damage prior to Megagross' s appearance).
I think "done properly" is the keyword there, except you don't state what is implied. Keeping your Sturdy Geodude at full health is a bit too much trouble when chip damage kicks in, and the number of Pokemon threatening it in some ways is all too plentiful - the countless water-types, the common grass and fighting types, the similarly common ground types, not to mention the less frequent users of steel and ice moves that appear in the endgame. I can't really accept that argument how you switch into water-types who lost their stronger STABs to use - most players probably aren't doing research for every single battle presumed disadvantageous (you can't even tell for sure what level the mon will be switched in at when you get the prompt while playing the game). Plus, an Aqua Jet or even an Ice Fang from Carvanha or Sharpedo will still really hurt your Geodude(+).

I also like how you're conveniently leaving out all the instances of Geodude not pulling his weight immediately following Winona, and these instances are all over the place really. The main reason to catch Geodude in the original RSE - to combat Wattson somewhat reliably when you're not training Marshtomp/Combusken - is no longer anywhere as relevant when Bulldoze and Low Sweep are offered for sale right before the gym and have extensive availability to many potential users likely to be in your party.

Even if Sceptile and Manectric have a poor matchup here or there, they have godly offence and speed in mega form to add to their already good availability and other good qualities. Outside of strange setup ideas revolving around Rock Polish and Rollout, Golem is a slow tank who kills very slowly and is afraid of too many Pokemon. You think you're safe against that Golbat? Meet Confuse Ray and flinching for the next 5 turns. Ah, so Mightyena can't hurt you? Say hello to Swagger. So Koffing is all right then? Ah whoops, he's got Levitate and can tank your rock-type STABs quite well.

The Geodude line simply has nothing to offer to an efficiency run. Nobody wants them, and the pain from training a Geodude is the same it has been since the RBY days, except now the opposition has even more varied ways of screwing with you when you don't go first. At least the actual higher-end slowmons like Mawile, Azumarill and Crawdaunt have other valuable assets like good (or great in Mawile's case) typing, fantastic offence and consistent defensive prowess.

I really hope you finish that run where you intended to see how Golem fares in a full runthrough of the game and see for yourself how limited and largely unnecessary his use is.

Im also not saying Sceptile is bad, but to continue putting Geodude an entire tier under Treecko is very laughable when it carries many portions of the game just on its typing alone.
Really, I'm starting to lean more towards believing you're just trying to mislead me into seriously trying to prove why such a mediocre mon shouldn't be anywhere close to being in such a high tier, and I'm wondering if you just haven't found an unnecessarily subtle way to do it.

1) The runner constantly uses X items to make Swellow's performance passable to progress at a steady pace. While this is a must in any decent speedrun, Smogon's in-game tier lists have always left X items out as means of artificially boosting a Pokemon's stats and erasing many of the lines that make the available Pokemon different.
X items are commonly used in speedruns, but not in this particular one. Off the top of my head, I believe there are only one or two instances where a single X-Attack is used in the run I linked.

I also wasn't aware that this was ever a rule, and strongly disagree that it should be one. X-items still have an opportunity cost of taking up a turn and some Pokemon make better use of them than others (for example, a Pokemon with Swords Dance receives little utility from an X-Attack). I don't think they homogenize Pokemon in this game any more than a held item would.

2) Without X items, Swellow lacks natural means of setup, such as Bulk Up, Power-Up Punch or Swords Dance.
As mentioned earlier, an X-Attack is used only once or twice in the run.

3) Taillow's gym matchups are frankly quite poor. Has no place against Roxanne, is under great risk against Brawley in spite of having a powerful super-effective attack to offer, disposable against Wattson, far from perfect against Flannery even should you go to the lengths of getting it poisoned beforehand because of Torkoal's enormous bulk, bumps into walls when facing the likes of Skarmory or Magcargo, yet again disposable against Tate and Liza (the speedrunner resorts to using Latias here, probably because teaching Steel Wing demands frames wasted?).
A poisoned Swellow is under virtually no risk for the Flannery, Norman, Winona and Wallace, while being a great option against Brawly. Very few Pokemon (if any?) are fantastic options against five of the eight gyms.

4) You're saying Kyogre/Groudon are so good that it only makes sense Swellow is absent during the endgame portion of the runthrough, but the simple truth here is that Swellow would get utterly destroyed if it tried to keep speedrunning the game, even if it bathed in a thousand Grimers and X items beforehand. Ghost types abound, Steven's bulky types that resist normal-type moves, and the opposition is generally very bulky and competent.
Swellow does not perform very well against the Elite 4, but is an elite option against normal trainers, Team Magma/Aqua and the majority of gym leaders. The Latis are poor options against the Elite 4 but are widely considered two of the best Pokemon in the game and currently reside in S tier.

5) Guts + Facade strats are nothing new, though OR/AS Swellow stands out both as the fastest user of STAB Facade as well as the earliest user of the move (though Raticate can get Facade in HG/SS about as early with a bit of manipulation). Still, it's quite a nuisance to get poisoned each time for the large attack bonus to kick in. You cite Grimers as a common source of poison, but the wild ones are available in just one area, that being Fiery Path, and those used by trainers are rather uncommon.
Grimers and Muks are common amongst Team Magma/Alpha grunts, and I believe there are only two instances in the game where Swellow needs to be "re-poisoned". Ethers, Berries and Potions effectively take the place of Pokemon Centres, and save time to boot.

6) This tier list judges Pokemon as part of a 4-5 mon team, and when Swellow is just one of the five, it doesn't make any sense that you waste time getting it poisoned, or restore PP with Leppa Berries (probably not done in a speedrun because touching trees wastes precious frames) to avoid Pokemon Centre visits which would benefit the other 80% of the party (who according to the unwritten or sometimes written rules of Smogon in-game tiering are supposed to be quite active battlers, wearing the PP out in no time at all).

Facade+Guts is probably best seen as an interesting situational reaction to being status'd in the worst case, or a powerful strategy with a heavy opportunity cost of severely limiting your playstyle at its best, though it seems like it doesn't match the playstyle necessitated in this thread at all. Should a list of Pokemon ranked according to how well they speedrun the game with all means available (X items, soloing, skipping things because they spend frames, etc.) be made, Taillow just might top such a list for this game, but not one for a full-team efficiency.
I think it's unfair to sandbag Swellow for the sole reason of restricting ourselves to a slower, less efficient playstyle. However, if the creator of the tier list is adamant in setting a restriction that the "tier player" must use a 3-4 Pokemon party (and that they all must be involved in battles regularly), I think we're at an impasse.

I do however want to see these rules clearly outlined, and agreed upon by the majority of participators in this topic. In particular:
  • Are X-Items allowed? (I strongly believe they should be)
  • What is the min/max team allowable team size? (I would like a minimum size of 1 to be set to avoid sandbagging Pokemon like Swellow, who are more efficient by themselves than any 3-4 Pokemon team)
  • Are we limiting battles to exclusively wild Pokemon fights where a team member is caught, and mandatory trainer fights? (This I also feel very strongly about. This would cut down the subjectivity of the rankings immensely)
If we limit fights to mandatory trainer fights (re. maneuver around skippable trainers) then we have a very useful document to aid us. GarfieldtheLightning from Twitch is compiling enemy stats for mandatory fights. His spreadsheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3K9UmEKaHzT93HVjBucI/edit?pli=1#gid=622180642

This allows us to plug in a Pokemon's stats and see exactly how they do ingame. It is also much easier to compare test runs if everyone abides by this criteria.

Unfortunately, the fact that you start with "DexNav" is the entire reason against your Swellow for S-tier opinion. While yes, I guess it works on the speedrun you linked, this isn't a speedrun (although what it is, is really really grey right now). Speedrunning the game boils down to picking one really good 'mon with decent easily achievable coverage that sweeps early-game until it gets overleveled and sweeps the rest. And if we did the tier like that it would look like "Mudkip & Torchic, HM-slaves, then everything else is subpar because they come too late." And by too late, I mean not given to you at the start. Also for a speedrun, anything that makes you finish the game faster would be considered (DexNav, Exp Share, X-items...)

But to answer your questions:
1. Yeah, X-items are 'allowed' but since they can be used on EVERYTHING they don't actually encourage analysis. Item bag for S-tier. This is the same reason DexNav and Exp Share aren't being considered, they make everything better
(although why does everybody say 'banned'? Smogon police won't come to your house and tell you how to play your own game. They just aren't being considered for the sake of discussion).

2. It varies by Tier-list designer, but it's typically assumed 3-4 pokemon plus HM Slaves (except Gen5 due to how Exp worked). Yes, soloing makes it easy because you get overleveled really quickly but that obscures the flaws of a pokemon (suddenly your Slowpoke is outspeeding everything when its 20+ up on it's opponent) This is also why the Exp Share isn't being considered, since it turns the entire game into 6-mon soloing.

3. Good question because I've noticed a problem with ORAS (and RSE) that isn't in the more linear future titles: there is a TON of skippable content. The ocean routes can be minimized if you know where you are going, you don't have to do the desert, Sea Mauville isn't mandatory, south of Mt. Pyre isn't mandatory, New Mauville... (you get the picture). Is this tier list made to help you complete the game or just get you to the Elite Four ASAP?

Obligatory Whismur for A-tier post since everybody keeps ignoring me on that.

Unfortunately, the fact that you start with "DexNav" is the entire reason against your Swellow for S-tier opinion. While yes, I guess it works on the speedrun you linked, this isn't a speedrun (although what it is, is really really grey right now). Speedrunning the game boils down to picking one really good 'mon with decent easily achievable coverage that sweeps early-game until it gets overleveled and sweeps the rest. And if we did the tier like that it would look like "Mudkip & Torchic, HM-slaves, then everything else is subpar because they come too late." And by too late, I mean not given to you at the start. Also for a speedrun, anything that makes you finish the game faster would be considered (DexNav, Exp Share, X-items...)
DexNav is used because it's faster, but the exact same strategy (ie. Guts+Facade+Poison) can also be used for a Taillow caught under normal circumstances.

Also, due to the relative shortage of mandatory trainer fights in the game, Taillow is often underlevelled compared to the Pokemon he faces. It isn't a matter of "Taillow wins because he's +15 levels above the competition". He is often 2-4 levels behind the Pokemon he faces in important trainer fights.

But to answer your questions:
1. Yeah, X-items are 'allowed' but since they can be used on EVERYTHING they don't actually encourage analysis. Item bag for S-tier. This is the same reason DexNav and Exp Share aren't being considered, they make everything better
(although why does everybody say 'banned'? Smogon police won't come to your house and tell you how to play your own game. They just aren't being considered for the sake of discussion).
If Pokemon A can regularly sweep with one X-Attack, while Pokemon B requires two X-Attacks, that is an immense advantage for Pokemon A. These items absolutely encourage analysis, and should be relied upon in efficient play.

2. It varies by Tier-list designer, but it's typically assumed 3-4 pokemon plus HM Slaves (except Gen5 due to how Exp worked). Yes, soloing makes it easy because you get overleveled really quickly but that obscures the flaws of a pokemon (suddenly your Slowpoke is outspeeding everything when its 20+ up on it's opponent) This is also why the Exp Share isn't being considered, since it turns the entire game into 6-mon soloing.
As mentioned above, Taillow is often underlevelled compared to its competition during the run I linked.

3. Good question because I've noticed a problem with ORAS (and RSE) that isn't in the more linear future titles: there is a TON of skippable content. The ocean routes can be minimized if you know where you are going, you don't have to do the desert, Sea Mauville isn't mandatory, south of Mt. Pyre isn't mandatory, New Mauville... (you get the picture). Is this tier list made to help you complete the game or just get you to the Elite Four ASAP?
I think it should be intended to get you to the Elite Four ASAP, just because there's too much subjectivity otherwise.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
DexNav isn't used because it's in the first post (jeebus people let's all read the rules and avoid this run-around every time we get to a new page). Another rule is that we don't compare pokemon to other pokemon, we judge them on individual performance. So no, X-items do not encourage discussion.
Just be careful how you interpret the bolded statement. Remember, we had a discussion earlier about not having a less efficient mon ranked higher than a more efficient one, so you do have to take comparisons at least indirectly into account.

DexNav isn't used because it's in the first post (jeebus people let's all read the rules and avoid this run-around every time we get to a new page). Another rule is that we don't compare pokemon to other pokemon, we judge them on individual performance. So no, X-items do not encourage discussion.
This is a bizarre response. I said that DexNav is used in the speedrun because it's faster, but the exact same strategy (Poison+Guts+Facade) can be used even if you catch it under normal circumstances (ie. without DexNav). Please reread my post if you're still confused.

The "we don't compare pokemon to other pokemon" rule is to be frank, ridiculous and has been violated so many times in this topic I've lost count.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There is absolutely no reason why X Items should be barred in tier list placing. There are legitimate strategies that I can create with them that improve efficiency.

Since our other friend listed something with Mightyena and Golbat I will use his example. Remember the quote with Archie and Maxie where the strawman of confusion came up? Well that actually leads to a strategy I used on Azumarill that takes little setup and should bring Maxie / Archie to his knees 62% of the time (since we hate 90% accuracy so much too).

Lead Azumarill and give it a Persim Berry. On turn 1 use X Speed. In most cases this should result to the Mightyena using Swagger and, voila, +2 Attack for practically free.

I also think people should be taking the statement IOS stated much more seriously. He is using the DexNav Tailow as an example for what you can do with the Tailow. This does not mean he is encouraging that only DexNav Tailow can do this shit.

Anyway, back to the grind. Winona will love losing 25% health in the gym when she comes in.

Finally as a closing note - X-Items under no circumstance should be banned from use . This leads to a much worse slippery slope and X-Items are still being used sparingly and can still be inferior to other tactics (Dragon Dance, Swords Dance).

Funny story - one reason why I wanted Glalie C because Mega Glalie with X-Speed shuts down Drake with Secret Power / Freeze-Dry / Ice Beam without breaking a sweat. To 5-0 in 6 turns at the cost of 1 item and a turn. If that is not allowed we arent even arguing efficiency anymore.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
This is a bizarre response. I said that DexNav is used in the speedrun because it's faster, but the exact same strategy (Poison+Guts+Facade) can be used even if you catch it under normal circumstances (ie. without DexNav). Please reread my post if you're still confused.

The "we don't compare pokemon to other pokemon" rule is to be frank, ridiculous and has been violated so many times in this topic I've lost count.
It's not ridiculous at all, you just misinterpreted it. The point is that on competitive viability rankings, a really good Pokémon can be in C-Rank because a Pokémon performs that role a bit better. We don't do this on this tier list, because each Pokémon is ranked based on their own merit.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's not ridiculous at all, you just misinterpreted it. The point is that on competitive viability rankings, a really good Pokémon can be in C-Rank because a Pokémon performs that role a bit better. We don't do this on this tier list, because each Pokémon is ranked based on their own merit.
Celever, I think that the thread should make the definition clearer. The definition you are giving in this post of comparing pokemon to one another is very different from the general meaning of the term. You can still compare two Pokemon, acknowledge that Pokemon A does a better job overall than Pokemon B, but still place them in the same tier. What we are not doing is saying that Pokemon B should be ranked below Pokemon A solely because A does a better job than B. B could be ranked lower than A for other reasons, or they could be ranked the same, but in no case should B be ranked higher than A.

Because this has come up so often, I think it is necessary to reword the OP to say something to the effect of just because two Pokemon occupy the same niche and one performs better than the other doesn't necessarily mean that they must be ranked differently. That's really what we're trying to avoid. But the whole purpose of this tier list is to show which Pokemon are better (however we define that) than other Pokemon, which means that without taking comparisons into account, the list would be meaningless. It's not a question of methodology, it's a question of semantics and how the interpretation is different between different users.

This is the correct interpretation of this rule. Pokemon should not be unnecessarily sandbagged because their roles are better fulfilled by other Pokemon.

An incorrect interpretation of the rule is to say "Pokemon cannot be compared, period." You cannot rank something, while simultaneously prohibiting comparisons between various items in the list. It is completely contradictory.

My x-item example was intended for Pokemon comparisons that are otherwise very close. Figuring out which Pokemon should be in S rank or A rank for example. The intention was to use this analysis to better pinpoint where each Pokemon fits in under the overall ranking.

EDIT: Ender did a much better job of explaining it than I did.

Last edited:
No, the really shouldn't be compared. Let's take mudkip and barboach for example.

Barboach is B-tier to Mudkip's S-tier but the reasons behind that are independent of each other. Barboach is in B tier not because of being inferior to Mudkip, but because it shows up mid-game (post-good rod) and Whiscash's stats aren't that great. If you couldn't get Mudkip in this game, Barboach's tier placement would remain the same.

Now, it is easier to analyze Barboach by comparing it to Mudkip, and it does illustrate your point better (or at least, helps Mudkip's status standout more because it is Barboach coming earlier with better stats). THAT I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. But it doesn't effect the tier placement of either. They aren't comparable.

Now the entirety of this debate has been about you trying to justify your opinion on Taillow being S-tier worthy, based on a set-up of running Guts+Facade while maintaining a poison status for as long as possible. Your other point is that this is entirely done while being under-leveled. And I don't see it.

I don't see why maintaining poison status through using leppa berries and other items to heal PP/health and avoiding Pokemon Centers (while periodically fighting Grimer's just to get poison status again) is anything but counter-intuitive. I don't know how this set-up will get past Wattson or Steven or Pheobe or Tate/Liza or any normal resist while also being underleveled (as you claim). Yes, you said they used Kyogre to get through the Elite Four. That doesn't make Taillow S-tier.

I'm trying to watch your Twitch post, but if you are asking me to sit down and watch a three-hour video to understand why Taillow is S-worthy I'm going to want the highlights reel. There's no way.

EDIT: I also never said "ban X-items." I said that because every pokemon can use them that they don't encourage discussion. The item bag plays an important strategic role, by all means use it. Item-bag for S-tier. But it's a universal thing, everyone can pump themselves full of X-items, hyperpotion off the damage, and then prepare to sweep. Saved my life in several Nuzlocke runs. But like Syndrome in the Incredible, once everybody's super, nobody is. X-Mon only needs 2 X-attacks while Y-mon needs only one, isn't an analysis. Z-mon does pretty great but could really use one X-speed boost to fight A-boss once is an analysis.

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
No, the really shouldn't be compared. Let's take mudkip and barboach for example.

Barboach is B-tier to Mudkip's S-tier but the reasons behind that are independent of each other. Barboach is in B tier not because of being inferior to Mudkip, but because it shows up mid-game (post-good rod) and Whiscash's stats aren't that great. If you couldn't get Mudkip in this game, Barboach's tier placement would remain the same.

Now, it is easier to analyze Barboach by comparing it to Mudkip, and it does illustrate your point better (or at least, helps Mudkip's status standout more because it is Barboach coming earlier with better stats). THAT I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. But it doesn't effect the tier placement of either. They aren't comparable.
Lol, dawg, that's exactly what I just said. Look at the following. We will use your example:

Ender said:
You can still compare two Pokemon, acknowledge that Pokemon A does a better job overall than Pokemon B, but still place them in the same tier. What we are not doing is saying that Pokemon B should be ranked below Pokemon A solely because A does a better job than B. B could be ranked lower than A for other reasons, or they could be ranked the same, but in no case should B be ranked higher than A.
Barboach is in B and Mudkip is in S. Remove either one and the other remains in their same tier for their own reasons, yes. However, at the end of this, you have to do a "check" step. You have to make sure that, all things considered, Barboach is not better than Mudkip. Otherwise, the tier list does not convey the information we need it to. This check step becomes more important with very similarly ranked Pokemon, so Barboach and Mudkip aren't good examples because it is quite clear that, all things considered, Mudkip is superior to Barboach (as evidenced by the 2-tier difference between the two). This "check" step is more necessary if we are looking at Pokemon that are very similarly tiered. There have been some calls for Mudkip to fall from S to A while we have Torchic remaining in S. Let's use these two as our example.

If we move Mudkip to A and we keep Torchic in S, we are in effect saying that, all things considered, Mudkip is NOT 'better' than Torchic. This is important because if this statement is not true, then we are rendering our tiering system meaningless. Now how could this actually affect tiering? I will demonstrate with the following:

Let's try this - If we deemed Mudkip to be better than Torchic, both could be in A, both could be in S, or Mudkip could be in S while Torchic is in A, but Mudkip could NOT be in A while Torchic is in S, otherwise we necessarily cannot say that Mudkip is superior. Any of the first three options are valid in this case, but the fourth one is not or our logic fails (meaning the tier list does not give meaningful information). Thus, moving Mudkip to A is fundamentally incompatible with saying that Mudkip is 'better' than Torchic.

Really the key point is not that we are using comparisons to initially tier the Pokemon, but that the result of the tiering elicits a conclusion about comparisons, which we can use to essentially 'check' our work and ensure we are making logically sound tiering decisions.

Does that help clear it up? We're saying the same thing (I think), but we're applying them to situations. This check wouldn't have to be done for a B vs. S comparison (unless we egregiously fucked up), but it would be far more valuable in an A vs. S, B vs. C, or any other 'close' comparison.

EDIT: Obviously I am not saying that Mudkip should be A or S. It's just an example. Don't use anything in this post to actually try and defend a tiering decision for Mudkip or any other Pokemon.

Last edited:

I agree with you on all of this. Barboach's tier placement remains the same regardless of how Mudkip performs. This is what I mean by not unnecessarily sandbagging any Pokemon.

However, when you have two Pokemon who are ranked in close proximity to each other, it is important to do an in-depth comparison of them to properly rank them. For example, Electrike and Lotad are both in A tier. If Electrike can sweep important fights like Archie after only one X-Attack, while Lotad needs two X-Specials for the same fight to sweep, I'm going to use this analysis to argue Electrike>Lotad, and perhaps argue a tier difference depending on the gap in performance.

X-Items should be considered as part of this analysis, because they are a major part of an efficient run.

Now the entirety of this debate has been about you trying to justify your opinion on Taillow being S-tier worthy, based on a set-up of running Guts+Facade while maintaining a poison status for as long as possible. Your other point is that this is entirely done while being under-leveled. And I don't see it.

I don't see why maintaining poison status through using leppa berries and other items to heal PP/health and avoiding Pokemon Centers (while periodically fighting Grimer's just to get poison status again) is anything but counter-intuitive. I don't know how this set-up will get past Wattson or Steven or Pheobe or Tate/Liza or any normal resist while also being underleveled (as you claim). Yes, you said they used Kyogre to get through the Elite Four. That doesn't make Taillow S-tier.

I'm trying to watch your Twitch post, but if you are asking me to sit down and watch a three-hour video to understand why Taillow is S-worthy I'm going to want the highlights reel. There's no way.
The tldr of the run is:
-Poison+Guts+Facade is an OHKO against 90% of mandatory Pokemon you face throughout the game, with absolutely no setup outside of a fight or two. Swellow also consistently outspeeds while doing this. To my knowledge, nobody has discovered a Pokemon that possesses this amount of raw power. At the very least, no Pokemon I am currently looking at in S tier is capable of this. Swellow is the very definition of efficient.

Now, there is the other 10%, which happen to be the very fights you mentioned. It is not used against the Elite 4, Wattson or the twins. However, Pokemon like the Latis also are completely ineffective against the Elite 4. Mudkip is flat out dropped in speedruns because of its poor midgame performance (Norman, Winona, Team Aqua, etc). These Pokemon I just mentioned also need to setup to sweep for most battles. Swellow does not, and therein lies its substantial advantage against the rest of the cast.

I still don't fully agree with either you, Ender, or you, IOS, but I understand your point. And unless a mod or Celever wants to re-establish the tiering rules I'm just going to drop it. We've all wasted enough discussion on this, myself especially.

I'll end it on that the Lati's have had extensive discussion about dropping to A-tier, and leave it at that.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
IOS: And how long does it take on average to find a Guts Taillow with Brave Bird and/or ten levels above the norm? Ten minutes? Twenty? Thirty?

Should have just caught the first Taillow you saw instead and went with that. DexNavving is considered too inefficient for an efficient run for a very good reason. If it takes me an hour at least to find a Simple Numel and a Protean Kecleon both ten levels above the norm each then there is no case to allow Brave Bird Taillow due to the sheer randomness and the fact that there are so many moves that could be picked as move 1. Sure it might be easier to find a Brave Bird Taillow relative to others but the same cannot be said for say, Fake Out Kecleon, or Hammer Arm Whismur, or Play Rough Absol. Even in a Speedrun those seconds lost trying to find a Brave Bird Taillow could be costly.

EDIT: Yeah you might not be arguing for DexNav's but you know what I mean.

A perfect illustration of Swellow vs. a Pokemon like Mudkip can be seen in these two videos:

Example 1: Marshtomp vs. Archie 1
http://www.twitch.tv/viskiv/b/598106478

Fast forward to 1:56:11. Marshtomp has problems OHKOing (even after an X-Attack AND the +2 swagger bonus) and is often outsped. This leaves it susceptible to confusion (it has a Persim berry for Swagger, but is hit with Golbat's confuse ray later), forcing the runner to heal it. Marshtomp is also in danger of dying to criticals. All in all, it gets through the fight, but it drags out and Marshtomp faces potential death in the process if the RNG isn't kind.

Here is the same fight with Swellow.
http://www.twitch.tv/eekcast/v/3615465

Fast forward to 1:23:21. OHKO, OHKO, OHKO, done.

IOS: And how long does it take on average to find a Guts Taillow with Brave Bird and/or ten levels above the norm? Ten minutes? Twenty? Thirty?

Should have just caught the first Taillow you saw instead and went with that. DexNavving is considered too inefficient for an efficient run for a very good reason. If it takes me an hour at least to find a Simple Numel and a Protean Kecleon both ten levels above the norm each then there is no case to allow Brave Bird Taillow due to the sheer randomness and the fact that there are so many moves that could be picked as move 1. Sure it might be easier to find a Brave Bird Taillow relative to others but the same cannot be said for say, Fake Out Kecleon, or Hammer Arm Whismur, or Play Rough Absol. Even in a Speedrun those seconds lost trying to find a Brave Bird Taillow could be costly.

EDIT: Yeah you might not be arguing for DexNav's but you know what I mean.
The runner just uses a DexNav Taillow for the level advantage. The egg move doesn't matter...it doesn't need Brave Bird. The Taillow in the run has Refresh as an egg move...which is about as useless an egg move as you can get considering you want it to be status'd :)

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
EDIT: I also never said "ban X-items." I said that because every pokemon can use them that they don't encourage discussion. The item bag plays an important strategic role, by all means use it. Item-bag for S-tier. But it's a universal thing, everyone can pump themselves full of X-items, hyperpotion off the damage, and then prepare to sweep. Saved my life in several Nuzlocke runs. But like Syndrome in the Incredible, once everybody's super, nobody is. X-Mon only needs 2 X-attacks while Y-mon needs only one, isn't an analysis. Z-mon does pretty great but could really use one X-speed boost to fight A-boss once is an analysis.
Actually it was more directed towards Lucchini; however, I guess I can pick a bone with you as well. If a Pokemon needs two X Items to compare to a Pokemon that only needs one - that is still an analysis and favors the Pokemon that only uses one X Item. A proper analysis will still, and should always, consider if X Items can be used to make things easier to use. There is still the opportunity cost of time and resources (as well as if another Pokemon can do the act better in comparison). X Items are usually touched in important fights. Using them on regular trainers is horribly inefficient and might prove the Pokemon is worse than cracked up to be.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think with the comparing Mon A to Mon B rule, I think the better way to word that rule while keeping in spirit with the tier list by basing things on merit is to instead say "We do not factor the opportunity cost of using one Pokémon over another for this tier list." That is, this tier list does not penalise a Pokémon because one is better than the other. This is the biggest difference between these threads and viability rankings threads and the reason why we should not care about opportunity cost of using a Pokémon over another is because most people who read this do not care if one Pokémon outclasses another. If they want to use a Pokémon, it is because they want to use that Pokémon and want to know how good that Pokémon is in-game. If Pokémon A is objectively better than Pokémon B simply because they are identical but mon A has an extra 10 Attack and Sp. Attack, then that should not be grounds for Pokémon B to be one to three tiers below Pokémon A all because of marginally higher offences.

The only times we should really use comparisons for the purposes of tiering imho is to compare the performance of one Pokémon to another. If those performance of one Pokémon is objectively similar to the other Pokémon, then it is natural to think that they should be in the same tier as them. If one is comprehensively better than the other objectively, then it is reasonable to believe that their performance warrants a higher tier unless their performances fall short of most of the next tier up.

I personally do not agree with factoring in X-Items into the tier list because the average joe would not even use or care about using X-Items and the possible skewing factor of them similar to Exp. Share (though the average joe would use Exp. Share but let's not go there) but I am not attached to the issue.

X items are commonly used in speedruns, but not in this particular one. Off the top of my head, I believe there are only one or two instances where a single X-Attack is used in the run I linked.
As mentioned earlier, an X-Attack is used only once or twice in the run.
I'm sorry but I assume you didn't watch the entirety of the run in question. Nor did I watch the whole 4-hour long thing of course, but I found all the places I found important to investigate.

Times when the player uses X-Attack (just one, but Swellow has no natural means of boosting attack outside of Guts otherwise):

Flannery - X attack to KO Torkoal
Norman - X attack to KO Slakings
Winona - X attack to KO Altaria, Pelipper, and hit Skarmory harder
Wallace - X attack to KO Milotic, Whiscash, possibly more

X Attack on Swellow is not used against Roxanne (player uses Mudkip), Brawley (level advantage + SE STAB Wing Attack), Wattson (player uses Marshtomp) and Tate & Liza (player uses Latias with multiple X Special bots).

In other words, Swellow is used only in 5 gym battles out of 8, out of which it's overlevelled for one gym and an X Attack is required for the other four. And then Swellow is dropped for Kyogre.

Facade+Guts is powerful, no doubt about it. But there is simply no way this performance will be replicated in an efficiency run the kind of which we are discussing in the present thread.

I also wasn't aware that this was ever a rule, and strongly disagree that it should be one. X-items still have an opportunity cost of taking up a turn and some Pokemon make better use of them than others (for example, a Pokemon with Swords Dance receives little utility from an X-Attack). I don't think they homogenize Pokemon in this game any more than a held item would.

and

Are X-Items allowed? (I strongly believe they should be)
Ever since we started the in-game tiering process as a serious community effort under Mekkah's supervision with RBY X items have not been taken into account, and the reasons weren't questioned much until the speedrunning duo - you and Colonel M I mean - intruded with an alternative vision of why certain Pokemon should be tiered differently.

Held items don't homogenise Pokemon at all considering they differ greatly in availability (you often get Miracle Seed before all others, some are never easily available in some of the games) and actual application. X items achieve just that, though we can still agree that Swampert and Luvdisc require a considerably different number of said items to ensure a sweep. However, for efficiency purposes, not every battle is preferred to be a sweep; far from it.

A poisoned Swellow is under virtually no risk for the Flannery, Norman, Winona and Wallace, while being a great option against Brawly. Very few Pokemon (if any?) are fantastic options against five of the eight gyms.
It is at no risk because you're using an X Attack item to ensure a sweep with a 140 BP STAB move with additional 50% attack from Guts; otherwise, it does not last. And it is no longer such a great option against Brawley if it's not soloing the game after being caught at a whopping level of 18, because the neutral attacks it's taking in return are very difficult to survive. Zubat is a better option for Brawley because of its resistances, but most players will probably use their second tier starter or a well-trained Ralts/Marill.

Swellow does not perform very well against the Elite 4, but is an elite option against normal trainers, Team Magma/Aqua and the majority of gym leaders. The Latis are poor options against the Elite 4 but are widely considered two of the best Pokemon in the game and currently reside in S tier.
You have to really build your entire playstyle around keeping Swellow poisoned, which is the sole reason why it's doing so well against generic mooks (the other being its high speed, a pro we should by no means ignore since we're likely going to measure Taillow outside of its speedrun prominence sometime later on).

Grimers and Muks are common amongst Team Magma/Alpha grunts, and I believe there are only two instances in the game where Swellow needs to be "re-poisoned". Ethers, Berries and Potions effectively take the place of Pokemon Centres, and save time to boot.
They are only common against Team Aqua grunts, because the Magma ones (including Maxie himself) use Koffing / Weezing instead.

There are probably a lot more than two instances where Swellow needs to get poison back (I can't afford to watch the whole video) considering you constantly recover your health and status as you follow the storyline. Since you missed the sheer reliance on X items to perform well in most (all but one) of the gyms where Swellow is used in the speedrun, it's not impossible that you didn't look at these bits as well, but there seems a lot of these during a run; I'll try to pay attention to this next time I do a playthrough (in which I'll test Swellow under normal efficiency settings).

I think it's unfair to sandbag Swellow for the sole reason of restricting ourselves to a slower, less efficient playstyle. However, if the creator of the tier list is adamant in setting a restriction that the "tier player" must use a 3-4 Pokemon party (and that they all must be involved in battles regularly), I think we're at an impasse.
I think you are being manipulative and provocative with that wording - "slower, less efficient playstyle" is exactly what we understand by efficiency here, as opposed to speedrunning which you (and Colonel M to a certain extent, but he's arguing that Golem should be in the second tier so I doubt he'll go with you until the very end logically) propose as the new basis for efficiency instead of what we have been comfortably been doing here all the time for what seems like many years now.

I'll address the last comment in a moment.

I do however want to see these rules clearly outlined, and agreed upon by the majority of participators in this topic. In particular:
  • Are X-Items allowed? (I strongly believe they should be)
  • What is the min/max team allowable team size? (I would like a minimum size of 1 to be set to avoid sandbagging Pokemon like Swellow, who are more efficient by themselves than any 3-4 Pokemon team)
  • Are we limiting battles to exclusively wild Pokemon fights where a team member is caught, and mandatory trainer fights? (This I also feel very strongly about. This would cut down the subjectivity of the rankings immensely)
I'm not Celever running the topic, or IAR/Colonel M/DHR who appear to be authoritative figures when decisions are to be made, but it seems these arguments have been generally met with reluctance so I'll go over these myself.
1) X-items have not been allowed, which has mostly been an unstated rule all agreed upon (most users debating have been aware of their existence and application, no doubt). Their usage can be compared to temporary Exp Share in erasing the peculiarities of the Pokemon used.

2) By "efficient", you mean "used to achieve the highest score in a speedrun". We are not discussing speedrunning however, even if specific aspects of speedrunning can be applicable to efficiency tiering, but many are not.

When Mekkah and atsync were running the RBY tier lists, testing was done with a team of six Pokemon. While this makes the difficulty of otherwise laughably easy games quite real, Pokemon like Farfetch'd still found themselves high up on the list because the requirements to be a good Pokemon were low enough in those games.

However, games differ when it comes to the role played by the HM slaving. If you have to put moves like Waterfall and Whirlpool on one mon he won't be much of a combatant so a party of 4-5 (leaning towards 5) Pokemon is logical. Since we are not speedrunning, we can afford to have just HM slave in OR/AS (Zigzagoon followed by Latios has done the job on my two runs so far, but I'm sure other options can be found, say, using Tropius or another water-type if Lati@s is in play). In X/Y, when I did my latest testing, all six Pokemon were in active use at once, and the game got quite hard as a result (just one of the many factors affecting the level difference between you and the opposition).

Anyway, speedrunning marginalises the qualities of Pokemon in a way that would be unwelcome in this tier list. Namely, if a Pokemon is expected to do all the fighting on his own rather than act as part of a diverse team, some appealing Pokemon will drop really hard on the list. This includes almost all grass and poison types known to us, for example. Venusaur in RBY is a pretty good Pokemon, but if we assume it has to fight all the Haunters and Gengars in the game then things are quite bad for him, and it becomes much worse if we forbid him to take the Body Slam TM. Of course, there are Pokemon who actually are good at fighting nearly everything, such as Feraligatr in GSC or Mega Luke in XY, and it is still considered a big advantage. It doesn't seem like Swellow is anywhere close to being such a Pokemon though, as even the Steel Wing TM doesn't give it adequate coverage to function well in an efficiency run.

3) Limiting this would only be applicable to soloing found in speedruns, because a full team really needs the experience. Of course, now experience can be racked up by the means of switching, which is not exactly an efficient practice in itself, but allows a weaker team to get slightly stronger since the split EXP from switching is no longer divided since XY.

I find it interesting that you said the following about your relentless stance on the issue:

(This I also feel very strongly about. This would cut down the subjectivity of the rankings immensely)
"Subjectivity" in this case would imply "flexibility" in your jargon, as we are not pressed to conserve as many frames as possible, which is a regular practice for a speedrun. For example, the runner in the video uses X items on Kyogre because he never had the time to open the TM menu and teach it Calm Mind, which we wouldn't hesitate to do. The player also uses Surf on Walrein during the E4 sequence, which nobody in this topic would have a second thought about going to Lilycove Department Store to buy the Thunder TM in advance so that Kyogre can use it with perfect accuracy later on.

Indeed, this opens huge space for discussions and playing and thinking and whatnot. There are different degrees of opportunity cost, and different degrees of performance, and we all play the games and argue about it - I think it's a whole lot more interesting than tiering according to potential to solo/speedrun the game or a single section of it, which is very restraining.

I'm not trying to marginalise you with your enthusiasm for speedrunning (though you haven't shared any of your individual experiences with it, which is a pity), and I'm sure I'd look at a tier list for speedrunning with interest should you make one such list, but it doesn't seem like you'd find a particularly large crowd to adequately discuss and improve upon such a list. One would need people with the right qualifications and experience, I should think.

There is absolutely no reason why X Items should be barred in tier list placing. There are legitimate strategies that I can create with them that improve efficiency.
Let me take a second and replace "X Items" with "Exp Share" in that statement.

There is absolutely no reason why Exp Share should be barred in tier list placing. There are legitimate strategies that I can create with it that improve efficiency.
Exp Share and X Items are remarkably similar in that both can be used to turn a Pokemon with a detrimental typing, weak stats and poor movesets into an unkillable OHKO machine. "Neutral coverage" becomes the keyword to decide a Pokemon's worth instead of multiple other factors, and this way Wigglytuff becomes better than Venusaur, Furfrou becomes better Roserade, and Stoutland is suddenly better than Magnezone.

The only difference is that X items have to be used in battles, whereas Exp Share only needs to be turned off when you're soloing the game in your speedrun anyway - no logical reason to do it because it is, as you say, "contributing to efficiency" in a very crucial way. But since the tier list is made with, as one rude, snarky poster put, 'arbitrary restrictions', both X Items and Exp Share are things that make discussion pointless and uninteresting. I mean, banning Kangaskhan and 6 or so others in competitive is also an 'arbitrary decision' but done quite deliberately to preserve the fun in a certain activity; here it's the fun in playing the game with "Pokemon as they are" (naturally).

Since our other friend listed something with Mightyena and Golbat I will use his example. Remember the quote with Archie and Maxie where the strawman of confusion came up? Well that actually leads to a strategy I used on Azumarill that takes little setup and should bring Maxie / Archie to his knees 62% of the time (since we hate 90% accuracy so much too).

Lead Azumarill and give it a Persim Berry. On turn 1 use X Speed. In most cases this should result to the Mightyena using Swagger and, voila, +2 Attack for practically free.
Azumarill is another Pokemon unto whom different unpleasant things can be done because it's a slowmon (albeit a fabulous one). It should do just fine against said enemy even without X item use (poison-type attacks are quite bad though), but I wouldn't count that Swagger is always used on you whenever you want and prepare a Persim Berry just in case (you could use one from your bag next turn and leave your attack-boosting item on instead since that one is active during all relevant turns).

90% accuracy becomes a big problem when you attempt to set up with Rollout (one of the multitude of gimmicks you've been advertising because one really has to transcend logic to place Golem in the second tier); it's not so bad per se because the attack missing can be worked around, and is just one of the many things that can go wrong in-game without a fatal consequence to the player (i.e. you losing to another player in a competitive match). Powerful moves are often inaccurate; their power still makes them worth using if it's not something like Focus Blast.

Anyway, back to the grind. Winona will love losing 25% health in the gym when she comes in.
And indeed, please do test your Golem properly if you're too lazy to theorycraft to see why this thing is as mediocre as it is (and has been since about the dawn of the series; in-game wise that is). I don't know how you can seriously argue it's a good switch-in against anything during the champion battle unless, as I previously suspected, you noticed me reacting negatively to Golem's placement so high up and are just making fun of me with this discussion.

Finally as a closing note - X-Items under no circumstance should be banned from use . This leads to a much worse slippery slope and X-Items are still being used sparingly and can still be inferior to other tactics (Dragon Dance, Swords Dance).
And they are also superior to most other tactics, like using Growth, Power-up Punch, many others, and not taking up a moveslot when there are quite a few moves most decent mons would enjoy running (I estimate 6-8 moves on a set would be just enough for most). They are a setup option for any mon lacking a setup option, too, such as the Swellow recently brought up and many others (Swampert to an extent, though he does have PuP and Rain Dance).

And that scary ultimatum in bold should probably be developed into a full-fledged idea to convince the participants of this enterprise that we should do a 180 and start tiering according to speedrunning criteria and not the efficiency criteria we have grown so accustomed to and which have proved to be so fruitful for all the 12+ games we've ranked so far. I haven't seen around in most discussions, but if you're one of the authoritative persons to decide what should happen on the tier list, I think it couldn't hurt if you were a little more respectful of the traditions of tiering that we have agreed on and stuck to for all this time and that, should you find them unsatisfactory, you convince people you're right instead of saying 'well, I want things my way'.

I'm quite serious by the way; the proposed change in tiering criteria and the kind of playstyle that it demands is nothing but drastic. It undermines the way we have previously tested, played the games and tiered everything, and it requires a sharp re-direction from where we are looking right now.

Funny story - one reason why I wanted Glalie C because Mega Glalie with X-Speed shuts down Drake with Secret Power / Freeze-Dry / Ice Beam without breaking a sweat. To 5-0 in 6 turns at the cost of 1 item and a turn. If that is not allowed we arent even arguing efficiency anymore.
Ignoring the categorical statement at the end, the Mega Glalie in question should still do a very respectable job against Drake due to high offensive stats (speed also) and a type advantage against everyone, Kingdra included, and yes, this is definitely something that can be discussed in an efficiency setting.

Now, there is the other 10%, which happen to be the very fights you mentioned. It is not used against the Elite 4, Wattson or the twins. However, Pokemon like the Latis also are completely ineffective against the Elite 4. Mudkip is flat out dropped in speedruns because of its poor midgame performance (Norman, Winona, Team Aqua, etc). These Pokemon I just mentioned also need to setup to sweep for most battles. Swellow does not, and therein lies its substantial advantage against the rest of the cast.
I feel you are twisting the way things are yet again. The performance of Lati@s in the E4 is highly solid, from penetrating targets with diverse coverage moves off absurd base special attack in Mega form, to employing hit-and-run strats against some of the toughest opponents around with Draco Meteor. There is never a time when Mega Lati@s is not used to great effect in the Elite Four. The surface knowledge that it's weak to dark, ghost, ice and dragon (coincidentally, all types of the E4 members) doesn't change the fact that it still performs very well in all these fights.

Erm, why is Groudon not in S rank? It's basically a free pass for the 8th gym, Wallace, Wallace before Ray and pretty much everything else after.

Erm, why is Groudon not in S rank? It's basically a free pass for the 8th gym, Wallace, Wallace before Ray and pretty much everything else after.
Groudon and Kyogre come too late for S tier, and we're not concerned with the events of the Delta Episode onward for this list. They basically level everything past them, but their lateness really holds back their performance compared to say Alakazam or Torchic which are with you for far longer.

Groudon and Kyogre come too late for S tier, and we're not concerned with the events of the Delta Episode onward for this list. They basically level everything past them, but their lateness really holds back their performance compared to say Alakazam or Torchic which are with you for far longer.
But for Kyogre, you still have to fight the 8th gym. The rain makes you battle quite a lot of annoying Swift Swim Pokes, including Swift Swim Horn Drill Seaking, Swift Swim Lovely Kiss Luvdisc, and Swift Swim Ludicolo. Not that they are horribly difficult but Groudon makes it a lot easier than Kyogre.

After that, Groudon plows through the E4, especially Glacia and Steven. Glacia's team wastes turn using Hail and is destroyed by Eruption. For Steven, 5 of 6 Pokes of his are weak to Groudon's STABs AND his trump card, MegaGross can do zero to Groudon.

Groudon makes everything after its capture very easy, a lot easier than Kyogre's. I think it deserves S-rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)