Project ORAS NU Teambuilding Compilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved by all the NU mods pretty much

NU Teambuilding Compilation

Hello and welcome to the Neverused Teambuilding Compilation, the successor of the Teambuilding Competition found here. The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced NU players go about building their teams around certain Pokemon. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Contant feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose either a single Pokemon or a core of two. It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! However, unlike its predecessor, this project does not include a voting round. Instead, any team that is deemed of good enough quality by the NU moderators and I will be included in the Hall of Fame down below (and possibly even permitted into the Sample Teams thread!)

Some ground rules:
  • Make the post presentable, use XY sprites and have the team in importable format so it can be used and tested by voters.
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the Pokemon.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jerk.
  • Use hide tags when posting your team, otherwise we will all hate you.
  • Since ORAS is still fairly new, there are no limitations in what Pokemon you can use for now, but I will notify and edit this once that changes.
  • I will post when you have a day left to get your teams posted. Don't procrastinate. It will only go badly.
  • You are allowed to edit your teams with testing and / or feedback from other people, however be sure to make note of these edits in the original post (i.e. keep an edit log or something in your post). Once the round ends however, you cannot edit your teams anymore.
  • As stated above, this version of the project does not have a voting round. All teams that are of sufficient quality (chosen by myself and the moderation team) will be included in the Hall of Fame.
All that said, good luck :toast:

---

Hall of Fame:

Last edited:

This is a god team so if you can't handle it I suggest you get up out my trap house. I ain't even got that much time to waste on pokes anymore, so pretty much this team I'm throwing up is so lord that it blows all these other kids outta the water. CoilPass Huntail + SubPunch Kecleon is more win than most can handle so its k, and its surprisingly effective being able to deal with a good portion of the meta. Kinda Volturnish to..
CoilPass Huntail is a really cool set that I've been wanting to try forever because it sets up so easily against the meta, and has the necessary bulk (and surprisingly quite a bit of power) to continuously support its teammates throughout a match. For my team, it can pass to Mesprit, Kecleon, or Pangoro for easy cleans of the opponent, while giving its defensive boosts to Camerupt can also mean a instawin, which is really cool from a support mon.
In order to support the support mon and bait / remove Ferroseed, I've included Offensive Pivot Mesprit, which is pretty much a cool set. With +1 passed to it, it has a surprising amount of power, and with its Colbur Berry it can even bait in Liepards to KO using a U-Turn, and it really gives no shits about no Knock Offs or Sucker PUnches. It helps support the team not only by giving the sweepers second lives, but also healing Huntail for multiple passes.
ScarfTom is ScarfTom, good glue against Flying Types, great pivot, amazing revenge killer, just a good mon in general to use anywhere.
SubPunch Kecleon is pretty much the wincon of the team, and with a Coil up does so much work it isn't even funny. Its special bulk is insane, and although most don't realize it at +1 it is incredibly difficult for opponents to take down, and between its powerful Protean to play around opponents as well as get STAB Focus Punch to smash walls as well as powerful priority moves to clean offensive teams, it is a versatile wincon alongside Huntail, being a consistent and excellent sweeper against a multitude of teams.
Pangoro IMO is mandatory on BP teams this gen due to its powerful coverage and Parting Shot. With Parting Shot, it eases setup for Huntail allowing for 1-2 free setup turns, and once it is passed to it can clinch matches simply due to its extreme power, good coverage, and solid bulk. Its also a great check to dark and ghost types, and is overall just crazy powerful.
I need a way to deal with pesky physical walls as well as get up SR, so MegaRupt was added pretty much as a glue. Its pretty self explanatory with amazing stats and powerful attacks, easily 2HKOing literally everything.
Code:
Huntail @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Coil
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Zen Headbutt
- Healing Wish
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Volt Switch

Kecleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Rehashing my post from the Sample team forums because it's a cool team and it fits the mon for this week :)

Bulky Spikes-Stacking Offense

Standard Spikes-stacking bulky offense with a twist. I wanted to use Huntail because it got compatibility with Shell Smash and Sucker Punch which is cool. Klinklang is a really good partner with Huntail because Huntail baits in a lot of Klinklang's counters and bops them with either Waterfall or HP grass, allowing Klinklang to clean up. Garbodor is still really good and provides Spikes and T-spikes as well as a check to physical attackers w/ aftermath + rocky helmet. Piloswine is the main rocks setter because it beats M-Glalie which usually takes a shit on bulky offense. Mismag protects hazards and Kecleon is a nice specially bulky pivot and sort of revenge killer because the team is really slow.

http://pastebin.com/0ZNaVzzE

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay since this is semi-active again:

This is a team based around CoilPass Huntail. The rest of team is focused on having as many Coil recipients as possible while still sharing good synergy. Hariyama, Steelix, and Musharna form the main defensive core, covering a ton of threats on their own while all benefitting from Coil in some way. Hariyama provides a Fire resist, priority, and a nice all-around pivot, Steelix provides Stealth Rock, an Electric immunity, and a Normal- and Flying- resist, and Mush provides a Fighting resist (and most importantly, a reliable answer to BU Gurdurr, which would be an ass otherwise). It's also a great lure to Malamar / Pangoro with Signal Beam / Dazzling Gleam, respectively. Archeops gives me some much needed Speed, and benefits from Huntail's support as well. Cacturne is probably the most replaceable member, but special Cacturne is a nice lure for physical walls while still providing a strong Sucker Punch. Naive Cacturne with Destiny Bond is also a neat lure for Panda, which can be troublesome.

Main threats are Toxic Spikes, strong Fighting + Dark coverage, and Lilligant, but they're still possible to play around. This team is still in the works though so I may make some edits later
Huntail @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Coil
- Waterfall
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost

Musharna @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Signal Beam / Dazzling Gleam

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Naive Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond

I'm leaving to Beijing tomorrow morning, so I'm going to post my team tonight. I can add more detailed descriptions when I get back if needed [December 31], but at the moment I'm just gonna post this down.

Basically bulky offense around Bulky SD Scyther, which IMO is its best set (CB is cool to but SD is downright awesome). I added tons of offensive pivots like Tank Megarupt and Offensive Vileplume, as well as Life Orb Pangoro who not only breaks Rock / Steel types for it, but can shuffle around the opponent using Parting Shot to allow Scyther setup opportunities. If anybody asks about Ice Punch > Gunk, fairies are p much irrelevant atm and plus Ice Punch hits flyings which are annoying for this team anyways. AV Kabutops is a super cool mon that helps to spin away stealth rocks that cripple Scyther while also acting as a pretty cool pokemon to pressure opponents early [and surprisngly tanky], and Rotom acts as a cool glue against flying types and as a way to clean up early, spread burns, and revenge kill.

Code:
Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Volt Switch

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Kabutops @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch / Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpA / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
okay Mont wanted me to try this one more time, so under his request this week I'm going to leave multiple mons to build around. Teams submitted can have as many or as little of the mons below but have to include at least one:

I pmd u a team 2 days ago w/ 2 of those mons oml>.>

Malamar is a fantastic win condition because it can set up on a lot of the current meta. For example, it sets up on Vileplume and Seismitoad. The speed is to outspeed min speed Seismitoad. Hariyama is on this team to take hits from fire and ice spam which would otherwise give this team a struggle. Mesprit gives me a psychic resist, stealth rock and healing wish. The speed is to outspeed jolly Cacturne. Signal beam hits the aforementioned Cacturne as well as Malamar which would otherwise hurt the team. Vileplume gives me a second fighting resist as well as a soft check to Mega Steelix. Sleep powder allows you to beat it one on one unless they are a rest talk variant. Pyroar is on the team to essentially break walls. Overheat has a 37.5% chance to ohko offensive mesprit which just displays the power under Pyroar's belt. Kabutops is here to spin away hazard stack which would otherwise hurt the team. Swords Dance was put over Waterfall to surprise defensive teams and potentially sweep late game.
Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 244 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Pyroar (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

So the post the team here :v4::v4::v4::v4::v4::v4::v4::v4::v4::v4:
can't cause pangoro ban but i am the great innovator and tried Malamar over it and found out it worked equally well today, so I give you malamar > pangoro OP darkspam nigga.

Alright so here is a modified version of the darkspam team I've been using a lot recently and shared with quite a few close buddies. Its pretty powerful [even with the loss of PANDA EXPRESS] and functions well against a slew of teams. The original core was that between Swords Dance Cacturne and Swords Dance Sneasel, which ultimately break down one anothers checks to enable sweeps. The three Non-Dark pokemon try as much as possible to support sweeps, and two trick users are incorporated to allow for smoother Hazard and Boosting setup throughout the match.

The first mon on the team is the newest addition, Malamar. Although it isn't quite as powerful as Pangoro, I've found its scarf set a powerful cleaner, which has surprisingly more utility than its counterpart in both Destiny Bond and Trick, while easily cleaning with its self-boosting Superpower. It ends games early, and plays a lot of mindgames with stall.

SD Sneasel is the shining gem of the team. Eviolite SD is so much better than its Life Orb set, and with a high attack and speed as well as surprising bulk, it makes for an incredibly powerful sweeper. It can live just about any unboosted non-SE attack, and with Inner Focus even Fake Out revengers such as Hariyama or Kangaskhan fail to interrupt its sweeping capabilities.

Specs Rotom isn't a common set, but it's 100% needed for this team. With only one slot left and 5 physical attackers as well as a hazards stacking HO team, I needed a powerful wallbreaking special type, who could also take on Rapid Spinners aiming to remove my hazard layers. Specs Rotom was the answer. Make sure to save it for bulky physical walls though.

Offensive Support Qwilfish is the only Qwilfish I use anymore. It's great for baiting out and taking on other hazard setters and removers early game with its relatively high speed, and with solid bulk + intimidate and rocky helmet, easily wears the opponent down. Explosion and Destiny Bond are great early game for a quick kill or spinblock. Honestly, it's just a good spikes mon, and especially helps relive stress from fighting mons.

Life Orb Sub SD Cacturne is like the innovation but also the shit. It's great at stallbreaking and literally picks most stall teams to shreds if they don't have MegaDino (who gets beaten anyways if you have your sub up). It's powerful Sucker Punch is stupid strong and smashes offensive teams, and with Sub it sets up SDs more easily, avoids revenges and status, etc. I guess you could use Seed Bomb if you are pussE,,,

MegaLix is the glue of the team, having the bulk necessary to beat annoying fastmons like ScarfSprit, as well as the sheer power to kill shit. It's just a good mega atm, not much explanation needed since we all know its power. Oh I also use Toxic because it helps wear down certain sweepers and walls. SR for the swagpoints.
Code:
Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Destiny Bond
- Switcheroo

Sneasel @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Rotom @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet / Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond / Explosion

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Substitute / Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Special cacturne is sooo good, only a couple things switch into life orb dark pulse. Spikes is also really good on cacturne because let's say the opponent has a Hariyama to check special cacturne, you can just go for spikes and wear Hariyama down since it has no recovery. The speed evs are enough to outspeed jolly rhydon.

I'm using leftovers Ninetales because after the chip damage Hariyama takes from cacturne you don't need the extra power of life orb to OHKO Hariyama at +2. Ninetales is great because it checks specs fire types, which makes it so toad can be defensive and check mega steelix, klinklang, and kabutops instead.

Granbul is used as a switch in to fighting types that try to kill cacturne. Audino is use to switch into Mismagius. Archeops is meant to check pyroar, camerupt, and scyther; and taunt prevents things like weezing from setting up toxic spikes.

The long-term goal of this team in most matches is to get Ninetales to sweep, which is why I'm using hazard-stacking to bring in Cryogonal for a setup opportunity.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Cacturne @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Montsegur

warning: this team doesn't rly have the best defensive synergy ever. it rely on offensive synergy and momentum to run through teams.

this team is straighforward: get Stealth Rock up with Seismitoad, switch Xatu on any potential entry hazard setter, and start U-Turning. CB Sturdy Sawk + Specs Typhlosion is amazing with Scyther since they both pmuch shits on everything that would switch on it. SD Eviolite Sneasel w/ Low Kick is the win condition along with Scyther late game.

things you can change:
Icicle Crash > Low Kick on Sneasel - you won't be able to touch Hariyama / Piloswine / weaken Steelix or even beat it / etc, but I guess you will have a stronger Ice-type STAB to hit Archeops lol
Thunder Wave > U-Turn or Night Shade on Xatu - lets Xatu cripple some fast threats, but force it to not use U-Turn (which helps grab momentum) or Night Shade (nice to weaken anything).
Bulkier Seismitoad - Only use that if you have issues switching on M-Camerupt (go SpDef, Offensive Toad can still switch on it, but ye..) or if you have issues with like Klinklang/Steelix/Gatr (PhDef).

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Grass Knot
- Roost
- U-turn

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Extrasensory
- Focus Blast

Sneasel @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance

Blast

Week 3 is now over with actually a decent amount of submissions, gj guys :o

Gonna hold off on the next round since shifts are coming soon, so once the meta settles a bit I'll start again with some new stuff

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Normal-types: the team. Tauros's main niche over other Normal-types is probably Sheer Force Fire Blast, which gives it a good way to tackle Ferroseed and Mega Steelix, so I tried to build a team that could fully capitalize upon that. Kangaskhan is probably necessary on a Normal spam team because the team isn't going to have much defensive synergy, so having a catch-all check to offensive Pokemon is nice. Aqua Tail lets it hit Rhydon, one of the few Tauros checks that Fire Blast doesn't hit, without losing coverage on Mega Steelix. Swellow is hot as fuck, and Specs Heat Wave does tons to Mega Steelix as well. More importantly, Specs Boomburst is really strong, and double Scrappy Pokemon means Ghosts aren't really going to be an issue. Swellow also gives us another check to Serperior. Garbodor offers hazard support and a Fighting resist. Haunter gives another Fighting check and a spinblocker, and it can also lure in annoying fat Pokemon and take them out with Destiny Bond or bother them with Taunt. Fast Seismitoad gives a Fire and Rock resist, actually switches into Mega Steelix unlike the rest of the team, and beats Pawniard, which is the one main sweeper that Kangaskhan does not beat. Endeavor Seismitoad alongside Kangaskhan and Spikes support is a great way to remove an offensive Pokemon that threatens your team.

Even though the team has Garbodor and Seismitoad for some semblance of a defensive backbone, keeping up offensive pressure is really important because plenty of Pokemon can break through that core really easily. Pivot around as necessary, but focus on luring in Normal resists and taking them out in the early game so you can clean late game with half the team.

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Sucker Punch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Endeavor

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Normal-types: the team. Tauros's main niche over other Normal-types is probably Sheer Force Fire Blast, which gives it a good way to tackle Ferroseed and Mega Steelix, so I tried to build a team that could fully capitalize upon that. Kangaskhan is probably necessary on a Normal spam team because the team isn't going to have much defensive synergy, so having a catch-all check to offensive Pokemon is nice. Aqua Tail lets it hit Rhydon, one of the few Tauros checks that Fire Blast doesn't hit, without losing coverage on Mega Steelix. Swellow is hot as fuck, and Specs Heat Wave does tons to Mega Steelix as well. More importantly, Specs Boomburst is really strong, and double Scrappy Pokemon means Ghosts aren't really going to be an issue. Swellow also gives us another check to Serperior. Garbodor offers hazard support and a Fighting resist. Haunter gives another Fighting check and a spinblocker, and it can also lure in annoying fat Pokemon and take them out with Destiny Bond or bother them with Taunt. Fast Seismitoad gives a Fire and Rock resist, actually switches into Mega Steelix unlike the rest of the team, and beats Pawniard, which is the one main sweeper that Kangaskhan does not beat. Endeavor Seismitoad alongside Kangaskhan and Spikes support is a great way to remove an offensive Pokemon that threatens your team.

Even though the team has Garbodor and Seismitoad for some semblance of a defensive backbone, keeping up offensive pressure is really important because plenty of Pokemon can break through that core really easily. Pivot around as necessary, but focus on luring in Normal resists and taking them out in the early game so you can clean late game with half the team.

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Sucker Punch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 104 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Endeavor

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Nice team Hollywood. I like the normal spam :S. One suggestion, have you thought about explosion over pain split on Garbodor? Most of the time you send Garbodor in to weaken your opponents physical attackers as well as get up a spike or two, therefore pain split isnt really necessary. Also, i feel that in battle, going for another layer of spike is more useful than pain splitting. Explosion allows you to stop your opponent from spinning and or defogging which is nice. Also, Garbodor is naturally faster than most of the spinners and defoggers which is why i feel explosion has a niche. Other than that suggestion the team looks great and your use of lures is 10/10 n_n.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I guess you could use Explosion. The only reason why I would use it is to block Defog though. Otherwise, you're always going to want to be setting up hazards over using Explosion because if you manage to set up three layers of Spikes and two layers of Toxic Spikes, the game is already decided anyways. Plus, Aftermath + Rocky Helmet is going to do about as much as an uninvested Garbodor's Explosion anyways lol.

That moveslot is filler anyways. I was going to run Toxic to hit things that are immune to Toxic Spikes or to guarantee the Toxic poison > regular poison on certain things, but I went with Pain Split because it's more important to keep your Fighting-type answer than it is to get up another layer of Spikes in most situations.

I guess you could use Explosion. The only reason why I would use it is to block Defog though. Otherwise, you're always going to want to be setting up hazards over using Explosion because if you manage to set up three layers of Spikes and two layers of Toxic Spikes, the game is already decided anyways. Plus, Aftermath + Rocky Helmet is going to do about as much as an uninvested Garbodor's Explosion anyways lol.

That moveslot is filler anyways. I was going to run Toxic to hit things that are immune to Toxic Spikes or to guarantee the Toxic poison > regular poison on certain things, but I went with Pain Split because it's more important to keep your Fighting-type answer than it is to get up another layer of Spikes in most situations.
I hear you however most fighting types tend to run earthquake to hit Garbodor lol. Pain split does increase its longevity if your opponent fails to have a fighting type with a move to hit Garbodor super effectively. You're right, that moveslot is just preference

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I'll take a stab at it I guess!

Specially based hyper offense team here. Specially based HO seems to be more effective in the Mega-Steelix infested metagame right now, so that's why went that route. It's unclear that I'm this specially biased from team preview, which can catch people off guard. Bouffalant countering Serp is obvious, but it also is insurance vs certain bulky Calm Mind Sweepers like Uxie and Lilligant, in case you misplay and let them set up as the team's sole physical hitter. Everyone knows how Normal + Water coverage is amazing so we have a water types that set up alongside normalspam. Works similar but better than the Gorebyss + Swellow core from BW NU because Carracosta has actual bulk. We have some notable resists everywhere, especially to Water, Fire, Grass, and Fighting. It makes setting up easy and it makes it possible to switch into things in a pinch, though it's not exactly ideal because you usually want to set up and go, then repeat.

Serperior's set features the rare Dragon Tail. With it, I aim to shuffle around enemy teams with Spikes, bypassing teams who rely on Sap Sippers to check Serperior. So basically every team in NU. It also messes up the enemy and supports other wincons to do more by distributing passive damage on the opponent. Depending on the Dragon Tail rolls and who they get phazed into, I get to threaten a lot of things and force them out again, leading to multiple 50-50s, where if I win I straight up win the game with Serperior. On the other hand, even if I lose I'm not particularly concerned. For instance, if I get SR + Spikes (which is very reasonable), then Dragon Tailing the initial Bouffalant switch means the next time it comes out it's at 40%. Next turn if I get the prediction right, Serperior wins the game. If he is too scared to go into Bouffalant to stop my Leaf Storm boost, it risks getting KOed by +2 Dragon Pulse. If he goes into Bouffalant and I Dragon Tail again, he's going to be worthless and die to unboosted coverage. Serperior's natural bulk makes it possible for me to mispredict and Dragon Tail, but live strong STAB attacks, and even some super effective attacks without any investment, which is pure BS. Serperior doesn't need to 6-0 teams, and the way it warps the game makes it easy for teammates to take advantage.

I decided to make the change from Uxie to Mismagius. I thought I would increase some weaknesses, but I forgot I didn't have to use the NP set here.

Main problem with the team is lack of any priority because I'm all special. You should aim to deny all setup, which is the main thing you should worry about, and this means not locking in on Swellow with Boomburst until you can clean up with it. My innate bulk (especially physical bulk on Carracosta) helps me in case something goes awry, but preventative measures are the best medicine. I had other Water-type checks other than Serperior because I didn't want to stoop that low, but it just makes my team better. It makes any team better... My current stance on Serperior is that it's broken the tier in half and I don't negotiate with terrorists.

Wings (Bouffalant) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Return

Right now (Carracosta) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge

Come true (Serperior) @ Miracle Seed
Timid Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Like a Bird (Swellow) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave

One wish (Crustle) @ Red Card
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

Grant me (Mismagius) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)