np: ORAS OU Suspect Testing, Round 1 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Greninja is Uber]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before ORAS, Greninja can KO a lot of walls and has only a few counters. It has the best ofensive movepool of OU, able to beat all your walls with a few help.
With gunk shot it KO fairy types like Clefable, Sylveon, and Azumarill. Hydro pump is a powerfull move, with it Greninja ko a lot of important pokémons in the metagame, like fire types (Heatran, Talonflame, Arcanine...) and ground types (Landorus, Excadrill, Mamoswine...). Low quick can KO Bisharp, Magnezone and Tyranitar assault vest, pokémons ables to ko your walls. Ice beam is for Landorus, others flying type and dragons too. Extrasensory is less commun than the other moves, but it can KO Venusaur-Mega and fighting types. HP fire is for steel types, very important pokémons in the metagame (Ferrothorn, Scizor...). HP grass and Grass knot are for Rotom-W, Slowbro-Mega and other bulky waters. Dark pulse is for phsychic pokémons, like Mew, Jirachi, Lati@s... and Gengar. Greninja can use other moves: U-turn, Shadow Sneak, Power-up punch, Scald...
The moveset can take 4 of this attacks, and with a few help of a pokemon, like Landorus, Thundurus, Conkeldurr or Scizor.
I'm Mndez, I've got 2703 coil, 1565 points in OU suspect test with 51W 21L and I vote Ban, it's obv.

Attachments

Last edited:
I have to agree with the statements about Greninja serving the meta as a very healthy offensive check to many big Mons who cause problems. Lando, Heatran, and others are also toxic elements who I now have to find ways to play around.

There also aren't a lot of special sweeping Pokemon out there. At least not fast ones. I have been trying to run a Starmie to fill that gap in, but it just doesn't cover the right bases.

I think the move pool argument is much over stated, and over exaggerated. Lots of the moves listed are truly unviable when you really look at the meta. Moves like Grass Knot, Low Kicks, Hidden Power Grass, and a lot of the other low usage moves really don't help much.

Protean is a problem because it always makes Greninja at +1, being a special attacker that means he bypasses Intimidate. This is a good quality because the meta needs more fast special attackers.

When it comes to checking him, I really see a lot of shallow arguments and that makes me angry. It's as if the only way to check him is by switching in only one Pokemon and that Pokemon must resist all possible sets. Also we are under the assumption that Greninja will always predict what you are going to attack with.
It's a joke. Switch in Conk and you force a switch. How is that not a check? Switch in Ferrothorn and he has to hit you with low kick and take Iron Barbs damage plus Life Orb which puts him in range to be killed by a Power Whip because you are slower. Send in Rotom and unless he runs HP Grass (and this is the only check in the meta that makes that move viable) and you can absorb a hit, then volt switch into a priority user or scarfer to either KO or force a switch.

Not only are all of these possible ways to play around Greninja, but they are all viable on balance. Let's also not forget you have the option of double switching to bait him into using a move that let's you set up to KO him.

I won't bring back up usage stats specifically, but remember that Greninja is a lot less unpredictable than the omnipotent attacker he is made out to be.

Another point is that Greninja holds some teams together that would otherwise be garbage without having something fast that can run the specific moves that Greninja has access to.

Also I'm really fucking sick of seeing Lando on every fucking team ever.

I have to agree with the statements about Greninja serving the meta as a very healthy offensive check to many big Mons who cause problems. Lando, Heatran, and others are also toxic elements who I now have to find ways to play around.

There also aren't a lot of special sweeping Pokemon out there. At least not fast ones. I have been trying to run a Starmie to fill that gap in, but it just doesn't cover the right bases.

I think the move pool argument is much over stated, and over exaggerated. Lots of the moves listed are truly unviable when you really look at the meta. Moves like Grass Knot, Low Kicks, Hidden Power Grass, and a lot of the other low usage moves really don't help much.

Protean is a problem because it always makes Greninja at +1, being a special attacker that means he bypasses Intimidate. This is a good quality because the meta needs more fast special attackers.

When it comes to checking him, I really see a lot of shallow arguments and that makes me angry. It's as if the only way to check him is by switching in only one Pokemon and that Pokemon must resist all possible sets. Also we are under the assumption that Greninja will always predict what you are going to attack with.
It's a joke. Switch in Conk and you force a switch. How is that not a check? Switch in Ferrothorn and he has to hit you with low kick and take Iron Barbs damage plus Life Orb which puts him in range to be killed by a Power Whip because you are slower. Send in Rotom and unless he runs HP Grass (and this is the only check in the meta that makes that move viable) and you can absorb a hit, then volt switch into a priority user or scarfer to either KO or force a switch.

Not only are all of these possible ways to play around Greninja, but they are all viable on balance. Let's also not forget you have the option of double switching to bait him into using a move that let's you set up to KO him.

I won't bring back up usage stats specifically, but remember that Greninja is a lot less unpredictable than the omnipotent attacker he is made out to be.

Another point is that Greninja holds some teams together that would otherwise be garbage without having something fast that can run the specific moves that Greninja has access to.

It's worth noting, however, that usage stats are taken from all players on the ladder - good, average, bad, terribad and casual. They're actually massively unreliable when it comes to assessing a high level of competitive play. We saw the same thing with Mega Mawile's usage stats, which basically told us that sets like SupPunch were never really used. Anyone who played on the higher ladder in MWile days knows this is simply not true, and SubPunch was cray on good teams.

I guess what I'm saying is: sure, most Greninjas make predictable plays, and can be somewhat played around. But the sheer amount of threat level and utility it provides a good player who knows what they're doing is ridiculous. It just pretty much creates momentum in whichever situation it's placed. People keep saying "This is massively exaggerated!" or "That barely ever happens!" But when you're playing a crazy tough game against a decent opponent who knows their team's strengths and weaknesses inside-out, and also know by how far they can overextend, Greninja is just too good, and things like HP Grass are used because the player understands the surprise factor and team synergy they offer them.

Things like Lando and Heatran (as you picked out) are much easier to play around in my experience. I don't really think that can be disputed.

On another note, I'm nearly at reqs with a decent enough record and I don't use Lando-T :p Hope that's restored at least a little faith in the meta!!

Last edited:
First, we don't keep toxic elements in the meta just to check other threats. Second, I know for a fact that you've personally brought this up before and were promptly addressed about it, so I don't know why you would attempt to bring it up again.

Within the S through A-ranks alone we have 7 fast special attackers with base speed 108 or higher, and 5 of them aren't even Megas. Include viable scarfers and the rest of the ranks, and we have more than enough fast special attackers without having to use Greninja.

See, this is straight-up false. Grass Knot is arguably the weakest in terms of number of targets, but it still hits enough reasonable targets to be a good lure. Also, Low Kick is far from a bad move, and this has been explained repeatedly that it hits a number of important targets. Lastly, we have also explained to you in particular why the usage data of moves is irrelevant.

This really doesn't matter in any way. Any special attacker with STAB moves can do this and, as explained before, we have enough fast special attackers that Greninja doesn't deserve some special treatment.

I don't know how many times this has to be explained. Because prediction goes both ways, you can't assume that you can win every prediction heavy scenario, so it's ridiculous to say something isn't broken because it can be beaten with prediction. If something isn't broken because you can out-predict it every time it comes in, what happens when you use one? Your prediction skills don't just disappear, and now a player who never misses a prediction uses it. See the paradox?

Conk doesn't like Extrasensory, Ferrothorn hates HP Fire, Rotom is 2HKO'd by Dark Pulse, and Scarfers really don't like having to switch in in general due to their inherit frailty.

Small defensive cores are easily ripped apart though by Greninja though. It really. It's nearly impossible to cover all of Greninja's moves in a 3-man core. Further, even if you carry a core for the particular set the other guy is running, it usually is because the other 5 members can easily weaken whatever is preventing Greninja from cleaning up. Yes you could argue that this is true for any cleaner, but you and I both know that Greninja can clean with far more left of the opposing team than any other OU cleaner. Also, double switching is incredibly risky and should never be treated as a reliable answer to anything

I don't see how you've proven this at all, especially since the foundation of a lot of your arguments is usage, which is poor grounds for discussion to begin with.

Then ditch the team after the ban. You think any team based on Mega Mawile was good after the ban?

That sounds like a personal problem.

Ok so this thread is making gren out to be a hella lot more broken then it actually is. Don't get me wrong I think it should be banned just not with the vendetta that most of the pro-ban side has. Anyways, on to my point of view on Greninja. In my opinion, the worst thing that Greninja does to the ou metagame is make it unbearably stale with so many nearly identical teams on the ladder. As someone trying to get into the ou metagame this isn't really that great of a state to be in. A gren ban does probably fix this though and that is one of the reasons it should be banned. Now onto the actual way it affects battles: first off, it provides loads of momentum within a switchin and while no one runs u-turn it still is really dumb how the Greninja user has the upper hand without even making a move. Now let's say they switch in a tentacruel well I can just go to my specs gothitelle and trick tenta specs and rest up then psyshock it. Rinse and repeat for Chansey and a lot of other Greninja stops.
TL;DR: Greninja makes the metagame really boring to play which is an acknowledged argument for banning as you can see from a few suspect thread OPs. It also provides too much momentum. Please don't kill me.

I have a few questions about the routine with suspects since this will be my first time voting (hopefully). I don't know if it belongs here or SQSA, but it feels more relevant here, so hopefully I'm not wrong asking.

1) Does COIL decay? I'm almost at 2700 (2507) but there's still a while until voting so if I reach the required COIL I'll be ok taking a break until the reqs thread is up?
2) Win-Lose ratio doesn't matter much does it? I don't consider myself top ladder material by any means, but I would still like to contribute and vote, just a few of my last battles have racked up a few losses (guess it's a sign to have a break for today and come back another day) and I'm beginning to get paranoid :U

I'm currently 2507 COIL, so I'm pretty close.

PS Mega Lopunny is amazing. Greninja a shit and I'll be voting ban if I'm able to contribute to the vote because the Greninja-less meta is a beautiful thing.

To Flare Blitzle and littlelucario COIL is explained here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/coil-explained.3508013/

And I'm not super familiar with how votes are handled but I imagine your Win/Loss record will be taken into consideration, but the OP doesn't say anything about a good W/L record being required. Higher W/L (GXE) does mean you need to do less battles to achieve 2,700 COIL, however.

Leaning towards a ban for Greninja though, basically for the same reasons most people are saying. It hits hard, his fast, has priority (allbeit weak priority, it gets Protean, Life Orb, and a decent attack stat to make up for it if you opt for a fully physical set or mixed set), and nothing really wants to take hits from it or even try to scout for moves because there's the risk of it having a move to beat the scout/"check"/"counter." But based on some of the posts some people are being really... Some people are exaggerating a bit on how powerful his move pool is. I mean it can only run 4 moves (I know, it doesn't have 4MSS) but they typically run the same or very similar movesets (again, this is just from personal experience). I don't think I've ever actually seen a Greninja with Low Kick, they almost always basically have Hydro Pump (or other water move)/Ice Beam/Dark Pulse/other; usually being U-Turn or HP Fire or Gunk Shot. I don't think it's as terrifying as people are making it out to be, but I definitely enjoy the meta more without it. Reminds me of the Aegislash suspect test a bit. But leaning towards a ban (if I ever bother to get reqs e-e).

Last edited:
Just finished getting reqs today, I am still undecided and am combing through the arguments. At the moment I am leaning heavily towards a ban however. Greninja really puts a dent in balance, and those who say careful switchs are fine and predictions can handle this...this is true..but switching around with hazards equals a ton of uneccesary damage and the onus on making bold predictions imo lies soley in the hands of the person going against the frog. The frog user has litte to lose by just clicking the correct button.

Many of the walls for grenj are very passive and can't really retalitate in return.

still gonna look through the arguments but atm...id say ban

I think greninja should be ban for 3 reasons
1. It outspeeds most of OU meta barring fast megas and scarfers
2. It has a huge arsenal of moves at disposal plus protean that make it the perfect team glue for whatever you want greninja to kill. This movepool make it " counters and checks "hard to switch in for fear of a 2hit KO or a 1hit KO forcing people to have a lucky switch or sac a mon.
3. It don't require set up so there is no cost for switching out to something that can deal with obvious scarf revenge killer or fast Mega meaning it can easily wreck havoc where it left off

Last edited:
A lot of people are claiming that the moves that Greninja use (such as Low Kick, Grass Knot, Gunk Shot, etc.) are usually unviable and unreliable. The problem is that Greninja MAKES these moves viable AND reliable. If a Pokemon is so "broken" (I hate using that word) that very uncommon moves that are usually unviable gets STAB and OHKO or 2HKOs everything, that probably means it's unhealthy for the meta.

What people fail to realize (that I failed to realize earlier) is that Greninja doesn't need ALL THESE MOVES to function well, slapping four on him makes him custom fit to destroy the opposing team as well as fill any gaps the team with Greninja fail to fill. It's literally a shell that can be custom fit with anything to basically destroy your opponent.

#BANHIMNAOW

YES! greninja has become stronger after gaining access to gunk shot and low kick... but should it be banned? I don't think so. I have my reasons.. (and I don't even like greninja)

1. Gunk shot is def a threat to azu and clefable... but that's it! they are both common in OU metagame, but poison type move is prob only used to check those two pokemon and is USELESS otherwise. I understand as an azumarill lover that it is annoying... but with only 70 percent accuracy and frail defensive stats... the user is also running the risk of being revenge killed.
2. Greninja is fast, but you can not only easily outspeed it with choice scarf users, but also OHKO it with little difficulty. Greninja doesn't run a choice scarf set anymore... that means any descent choice scarf user can outspeed it... and kill it. Greninja is defensively weak and if you have stealth rock up, you can easily take it down even if the attack isn't super effective.
3. Greninja can't switch in to take hits. it has no way of gaining its health back and is extremely frail. Switching in to take hits is not an option for greninja unlike many other pokemon in OU tier.

In sum, I agree greninja is difficult (arguably impossible) to check and is extremely powerful. People use this as an excuse to say greninja is broken, but you don't have to check a pokemon to take it down. there are numerous scarf users that can take it down (who doesn't have at least one scarf user in their team these days?) and its access to gunk shot is also a risk the user is taking with low accuracy and possible uselessness. The fact that it's debated now purely because of its access to gunk shot and low kick is ... kinda ridiculous.

YES! greninja has become stronger after gaining access to gunk shot and low kick... but should it be banned? I don't think so. I have my reasons.. (and I don't even like greninja)

1. Gunk shot is def a threat to azu and clefable... but that's it! they are both common in OU metagame, but poison type move is prob only used to check those two pokemon and is USELESS otherwise. I understand as an azumarill lover that it is annoying... but with only 70 percent accuracy and frail defensive stats... the user is also running the risk of being revenge killed.
2. Greninja is fast, but you can not only easily outspeed it with choice scarf users, but also OHKO it with little difficulty. Greninja doesn't run a choice scarf set anymore... that means any descent choice scarf user can outspeed it... and kill it. Greninja is defensively weak and if you have stealth rock up, you can easily take it down even if the attack isn't super effective.
3. Greninja can't switch in to take hits. it has no way of gaining its health back and is extremely frail. Switching in to take hits is not an option for greninja unlike many other pokemon in OU tier.

In sum, I agree greninja is difficult (arguably impossible) to check and is extremely powerful. People use this as an excuse to say greninja is broken, but you don't have to check a pokemon to take it down. there are numerous scarf users that can take it down (who doesn't have at least one scarf user in their team these days?) and its access to gunk shot is also a risk the user is taking with low accuracy and possible uselessness. The fact that it's debated now purely because of its access to gunk shot and low kick is ... kinda ridiculous.
1. The point of Gunk Shot is to get coverage against the ONLY threats that Greninja had. With fairies gone due to Gunk Shot, Greninja is free to wreak havok everywhere.

2. I'm going to quote someone
Oh, and using a Choice Scarf users or Priority isn't foolproof either. Remember how strong Greninja's attacks are? So, in order to get in, your Scarf user has to take about 50 - 60% when factoring Stealth Rock and Life Orb (and that's assuming it doesn't predict the switch and OHKO you with the right move) OR wait until Greninja has KO-ed something and bring out the Scarf / Priority user. Problem is, you sac a Pokemon to threaten Greninja out and nothing is stopping it from coming in to wreck havoc later while you are forced to click the super obvious move (or you bring in your Scarf user / Priority user for nothing). Thus, Greninja applies too much pressure on it's opponent while bringing low cost to it's user.
Scarfers are frail as well, so you either have to switch out and take damage or sack a Pokemon just to bring it in. Only being able to be killed by revenge killing is a bit ridiculous. One might argue that Greninja may be brought into a scarfer, but that is easy to play around and its extremely situational.

3. Greninja wasn't built to switch in all the time. Because of its incredible coverage, Greninja literally has to reason to switch out unless something completely walls it (Which there barely aren't anymore). U-Turn is a move Greninja can use but it won't switch in on an attack. There are many frail Pokemon in the OU tier that can't switch in safely and there have been cases where frail Pokemon have been banned.

First, we don't keep toxic elements in the meta just to check other threats. Second, I know for a fact that you've personally brought this up before and were promptly addressed about it, so I don't know why you would attempt to bring it up again.

Within the S through A-ranks alone we have 7 fast special attackers with base speed 108 or higher, and 5 of them aren't even Megas. Include viable scarfers and the rest of the ranks, and we have more than enough fast special attackers without having to use Greninja.

See, this is straight-up false. Grass Knot is arguably the weakest in terms of number of targets, but it still hits enough reasonable targets to be a good lure. Also, Low Kick is far from a bad move, and this has been explained repeatedly that it hits a number of important targets. Lastly, we have also explained to you in particular why the usage data of moves is irrelevant.

This really doesn't matter in any way. Any special attacker with STAB moves can do this and, as explained before, we have enough fast special attackers that Greninja doesn't deserve some special treatment.

I don't know how many times this has to be explained. Because prediction goes both ways, you can't assume that you can win every prediction heavy scenario, so it's ridiculous to say something isn't broken because it can be beaten with prediction. If something isn't broken because you can out-predict it every time it comes in, what happens when you use one? Your prediction skills don't just disappear, and now a player who never misses a prediction uses it. See the paradox?

Conk doesn't like Extrasensory, Ferrothorn hates HP Fire, Rotom is 2HKO'd by Dark Pulse, and Scarfers really don't like having to switch in in general due to their inherit frailty.

Small defensive cores are easily ripped apart though by Greninja though. It really. It's nearly impossible to cover all of Greninja's moves in a 3-man core. Further, even if you carry a core for the particular set the other guy is running, it usually is because the other 5 members can easily weaken whatever is preventing Greninja from cleaning up. Yes you could argue that this is true for any cleaner, but you and I both know that Greninja can clean with far more left of the opposing team than any other OU cleaner. Also, double switching is incredibly risky and should never be treated as a reliable answer to anything

I don't see how you've proven this at all, especially since the foundation of a lot of your arguments is usage, which is poor grounds for discussion to begin with.

Then ditch the team after the ban. You think any team based on Mega Mawile was good after the ban?

That sounds like a personal problem.
Hostile much?
The mods have already said that usage is a factor, so that idea is not invalidated as you say.
And forcing a switch is not about the prediction game, from your point of view you can never win any game and all Pokemon should be banned if you can't switch in a Mon ever. The point is to bait an attack like ice beam when you send in something like conk, then they are forced to switch or die. I guess if they over predict you then whatever but that can happen with any Pokemon and is the fault of the player, not Greninja.

Let's go back to your counter arguments. Rotom is 2hko by Dark Pulse. Okay, if he absorbs a hit from something like say, Hydro Pump or HP Fire, then he can take the hit from Dark Pulse come back with a Volt Switch and safely bring in a priority user or scarfer. HP Fire is less viable because it only hits 2 Pokemon really, and the speed hit is bad, but if you send in a Ferrothorn again to absorb something like a Hydro Pump, you will have to eat a Low Kick, but can come back with a Power Whip which will more than likely land the KO. Fearing less viable moves and not sending in smart switch ins is like not sending in Azumarril on CharX because you fear Thunder Punch. Sure, it's possible you could eat the lure move, but you can count on the enemy wanting to run the more viable sets.

The bandwagon is strong on this one, but objectively and analytically Greninja is less of a problem than it is made out to be.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The point is to bait an attack like ice beam when you send in something like conk, then they are forced to switch or die.
From my suspect thread OP...

Seventhly, be careful of the "Prediction argument". IT GOES BOTH WAYS. Really clever posters will use the risk reward prediction argument, which is a good one. If you want a breakdown about it, im sure many experienced players will be able to tell you, but the point is, you don't have godlike prediction skills, so i don't want to see posts like "I will go to Heatran on a play rough, then go to Gengar on a Focus Punch, then use Substitute on the Sucker Punch and then use Will-o-Wisp on a second Sucker Punch. You are not clairvoyant, nor is your opponent, so don't pretend otherwise.
Also worth noting that if your entire way of beating Greninja involves winning a 50/50 coinflip (I'll bait an Ice Beam and hope it doesn't use Extrasensory on my telegraphed Conkeldurr switch!), then it kinda implies Greninja is more of a negative influence rather than an positive one on the metagame.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, considering Greninja has 4 moves, the odds are more in your favor on the switch than your opponents.
What? The number of moves you have is irrelevant to this discussion. Your argument revolves around precise prediction, which goes both ways. You're putting your best answer to Greninja at risk of dying to what amounts to a 50/50, while the Greninja user has a whole lot less pressure on them, since they can just use the safe Ice Beam, chip away at Conkeldurr's health, and switch to an appropriate counter.

This type of pressure Greninja can apply to a team - virtually any team, since it shits on pretty much all of OU with the right move, and you never know what moves it's carrying until it's too late - with little risk to itself is unhealthy for the metagame. If you don't have one of a few counters specific to stall and not much else, dealing with Greninja amounts to trying to play around it and wear it down, which is basically risking one 50/50 after another, or else risking a huge hit to bring in a priority user/revenge killer without sacrificing something, which Greninja can just switch out of. Greninja forces its opponents to take huge risks to beat it, while its own speed and power means it takes few risks itself.

Last edited:
Well, considering Greninja has 4 moves, the odds are more in your favor on the switch than your opponents.
I... What? Where did you even get that idea from? The odds are almost always in favor of the Greninja user, not the other way around. If Greninja come in on a weakened slower threat, then you have two options: 1. sack it and then bring something else in, or 2. switch and hope you make a correct prediction. Unfortunately, 1 is not always an option if the weakened Pokemon is necessary for you to handle a threat or threats on the opponents team, so oftentimes you will have to switch. Now this is where the Greninja player has the advantage, because they know they can just go for anything to pick off your Pokemon and they can afford to make a bold prediction, as unless you predict a Gunk Shot and switch into your Sucker Punch/Pursuit Bisharp, Greninja can almost always just switch out afterwards safely, (and even against Bisharp it's another 50/50.) However, if the Greninja user predicts you correctly and goes for the appropriate coverage move, then you just lost a Pokemon and now have to bother with revenge killing Greninja. Of course, this is only possible if you have your Scarfer, Priority user, or fastmon left in the wings, and if you do, Greninja can just switch out and repeat this whole process later. If not, then you are boned and Greninja cleans up the rest of your team. Honestly I don't know how you came up with the idea that the predicter has the upper hand, as 9 times out of 10 it's the Greninja user.

Hostile much?
If I seem hostile, it's because many of the point you posted have been addressed repeatedly (i.e. move usage, prediction, keeping meta threats in check) and instead of addressing those counterarguments, you rehashed the arguments after the discussion became buried in the thread. You personally brought up move usage and keeping meta threats in check already, and yet you insist on bringing them up again without any new light on them as though no one has spent time addressing those arguments already. This strikes me as you ignoring everyone who addressed your argument just because you disagree with them. To me this is disrespectful to everyone in this thread who tries and hold a decent debate.

The mods have already said that usage is a factor, so that idea is not invalidated as you say.
I went ahead and checked the forum to find the context of this:
Haunter said:
To end this dispute: yes, usage statistics (especially from the high end of the ladder) definitely matter and are the only objective parameter we can use to evaluate the impact of any given Pokémon on the metagame however, they're not the only deciding factor
You aren't using usage data to show the impact of Greninja on the meta game. You're using them to determine the odds that Greninja is packing a move. The usage of Greninja's checks might be one thing, but what you are arguing is fundamentally different. You are arguing that because HP fire is not used as often, it can be ignored. Unless I am mistaken, this is not what Haunter meant when he said that usage statistics matter. Further, good players that check usage stats can easily abuse this logic by packing the moves with the lower usage because even the lower usage ones usually have a base power of 90 or higher thanks to Protean. This is what I meant when I say that move usage is irrelevant.

And forcing a switch is not about the prediction game, from your point of view you can never win any game and all Pokemon should be banned if you can't switch in a Mon ever. The point is to bait an attack like ice beam when you send in something like conk, then they are forced to switch or die. I guess if they over predict you then whatever but that can happen with any Pokemon and is the fault of the player, not Greninja.
Ginganinja addressed this pretty well, but just to add to it, I am not saying that Greninja is broken if you get every prediction right, therefore he is broken. My point is that NO side, pro ban or anti ban, can use the prediction argument because it goes both ways.

Let's go back to your counter arguments. Rotom is 2hko by Dark Pulse. Okay, if he absorbs a hit from something like say, Hydro Pump or HP Fire, then he can take the hit from Dark Pulse come back with a Volt Switch and safely bring in a priority user or scarfer.
Once again, prediction argument goes both ways.

HP Fire is less viable because it only hits 2 Pokemon really, and the speed hit is bad, but if you send in a Ferrothorn again to absorb something like a Hydro Pump, you will have to eat a Low Kick, but can come back with a Power Whip which will more than likely land the KO.
Ignoring the prediction argument bit, HP Fire hits Scizor, Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory while having a large number of splash over targets it his if you don't run Low Kick. Further, the speed hit is 1 point. That means that you're outsped by other Greninja, i.e. something you tied with in speed. Yes, auto-losing speed ties suck but let's not pretend that losing to 1 more threat is worse than being threatened by at least 3 or 4 mons that clearly threaten your team if you're considering HP Fire.

Fearing less viable moves and not sending in smart switch ins is like not sending in Azumarril on CharX because you fear Thunder Punch. Sure, it's possible you could eat the lure move, but you can count on the enemy wanting to run the more viable sets.
Thunder Punch hits 4 OU viable targets harder than its STAB Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw. There are even fewer relevant things it hits if you use Outrage. The reason no one fears Thunder Punch CharX is simply because almost no player would ever want to even drop EQ, let alone Roost, just to hit 4 targets. This is in no way comparable to the range of targets that Greninja hits with just about any coverage move it chooses, including HP Fire.

The bandwagon is strong on this one, but objectively and analytically Greninja is less of a problem than it is made out to be.
I won't deny that Greninja is certainly one of the weakest suspects to date for either XY or ORAS, but honestly, you can't objectively determine that something is or isn't broken. Determining whether something is "broken" is derived largely from observing how a meta has adapted to a threat and asking whether or not that meta is desirable. We can use data to show trends and identify potentially unhealthy elements, but there are so many things that can only be determined by battle such as trends in playstyles, the ease of which you can actually deal with threats, etc. Interpretation of these events is entirely subjective, and yet a huge part of determining whether something is broken comes from this subjective data. Thus you can't truly "prove" that something is broken because broken is a subjective term unto itself that is supported for the most part by subjective information.

If I seem hostile, it's because many of the point you posted have been addressed repeatedly (i.e. move usage, prediction, keeping meta threats in check) and instead of addressing those counterarguments, you rehashed the arguments after the discussion became buried in the thread. You personally brought up move usage and keeping meta threats in check already, and yet you insist on bringing them up again without any new light on them as though no one has spent time addressing those arguments already. This strikes me as you ignoring everyone who addressed your argument just because you disagree with them. To me this is disrespectful to everyone in this thread who tries and hold a decent debate.

I went ahead and checked the forum to find the context of this:

You aren't using usage data to show the impact of Greninja on the meta game. You're using them to determine the odds that Greninja is packing a move. The usage of Greninja's checks might be one thing, but what you are arguing is fundamentally different. You are arguing that because HP fire is not used as often, it can be ignored. Unless I am mistaken, this is not what Haunter meant when he said that usage statistics matter. Further, good players that check usage stats can easily abuse this logic by packing the moves with the lower usage because even the lower usage ones usually have a base power of 90 or higher thanks to Protean. This is what I meant when I say that move usage is irrelevant.

Ginganinja addressed this pretty well, but just to add to it, I am not saying that Greninja is broken if you get every prediction right, therefore he is broken. My point is that NO side, pro ban or anti ban, can use the prediction argument because it goes both ways.

Once again, prediction argument goes both ways.

Ignoring the prediction argument bit, HP Fire hits Scizor, Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory while having a large number of splash over targets it his if you don't run Low Kick. Further, the speed hit is 1 point. That means that you're outsped by other Greninja, i.e. something you tied with in speed. Yes, auto-losing speed ties suck but let's not pretend that losing to 1 more threat is worse than being threatened by at least 3 or 4 mons that clearly threaten your team if you're considering HP Fire.

Thunder Punch hits 4 OU viable targets harder than its STAB Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw. There are even fewer relevant things it hits if you use Outrage. The reason no one fears Thunder Punch CharX is simply because almost no player would ever want to even drop EQ, let alone Roost, just to hit 4 targets. This is in no way comparable to the range of targets that Greninja hits with just about any coverage move it chooses, including HP Fire.

I won't deny that Greninja is certainly one of the weakest suspects to date for either XY or ORAS, but honestly, you can't objectively determine that something is or isn't broken. Determining whether something is "broken" is derived largely from observing how a meta has adapted to a threat and asking whether or not that meta is desirable. We can use data to show trends and identify potentially unhealthy elements, but there are so many things that can only be determined by battle such as trends in playstyles, the ease of which you can actually deal with threats, etc. Interpretation of these events is entirely subjective, and yet a huge part of determining whether something is broken comes from this subjective data. Thus you can't truly "prove" that something is broken because broken is a subjective term unto itself that is supported for the most part by subjective information.
It doesn't make sense to me that you can use data to track meta trends to determine whether Greninja should be banned, but you cannot use it to predict the most common sets and know it's most viable sets and move pool. It's a double standard that people have been throwing out there all thread in favor of banning him. I don't care either way, but I would prefer Smogon as a community have a level head about it and not just bandwagon one or two popular members opinion then restate the same thing for multiple pages.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
It doesn't make sense to me that you can use data to track meta trends to determine whether Greninja should be banned, but you cannot use it to predict the most common sets and know it's most viable sets and move pool. It's a double standard that people have been throwing out there all thread in favor of banning him. I don't care either way, but I would prefer Smogon as a community have a level head about it and not just bandwagon one or two popular members opinion then restate the same thing for multiple pages.
This has been explained numerous times why the whole idea of data goes up in flames when it comes back to a realistic and practical scenario. When you take into account all the factors and variables that Greninja provides the amount of data you incurred might not even matter if the possibility of what your data showed doesn't even show up in the real game. Data only gets you so far, sooner or later you have to understand and play on a practical level to gain the knowledge necessary to establish a more concrete argument than one simply going off of theorymon and statistics alone. Also it's been explained numerous times as well of all the unhealthy traits Greninja provides and establishing yourself as some sort of genius in the art of prediction when most players couldn't predict on the level you're somehow making it out to be with these triple switches or w/e rebuttal is being presented at the time doesn't really prove your point.

I was originally anti-ban before but once you've played numerous matches against players with at the very least above average skill level or enough skill not to pull off obvious failures on a consistent basis, you'll start to have a much better understanding of the reasons some have stated for a ban. There's no need to just assume that everyone is bandwagoning and then address this so called group in such a condescending tone. Most of us have played our part in taking the time and effort to understand if Greninja is broken or not and this can be seen through previous posts and it's clearly obvious that it's more than two people.

It doesn't make sense to me that you can use data to track meta trends to determine whether Greninja should be banned, but you cannot use it to predict the most common sets and know it's most viable sets and move pool.
Because common does not mean viable.

We are supposed to assume people pick sets and moves based on what works and what they need, not what's used the most. As long as a move has a good reason to be used, it's viable, and it has to be considered.

Then that goes to one of Greninja's major "issues" - it has way too many independent viable moves to choose from. I said "independent" because unlike other pokemon with large movepools (Say Jirachi), you cannot guess Greninja's set by seeing a single move. You "can" guess Greninja's set by looking at the other 5 Pokemon, but even then it may depend on their sets, in case they have varying counters or checks. The chances of assuming Greninja has move X, only for it to have move Y and you suddenly losing an important check to the opposing team... are unusually high.

Where's the skill in that, I may ask? If all one has to do is add a Greninja, give it four "random" moves, of which all four could very well not be in its most common set...

You know what? This starts reminding me of Aegislash, which also could suddenly turn the tide in your favour with great ease.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Because common does not mean viable.

We are supposed to assume people pick sets and moves based on what works and what they need, not what's used the most. As long as a move has a good reason to be used, it's viable, and it has to be considered.

Then that goes to one of Greninja's major "issues" - it has way too many independent viable moves to choose from. I said "independent" because unlike other pokemon with large movepools (Say Jirachi), you cannot guess Greninja's set by seeing a single move. You "can" guess Greninja's set by looking at the other 5 Pokemon, but even then it may depend on their sets, in case they have varying counters or checks. The chances of assuming Greninja has move X, only for it to have move Y and you suddenly losing an important check to the opposing team... are unusually high.

Where's the skill in that, I may ask? If all one has to do is add a Greninja, give it four "random" moves, of which all four could very well not be in its most common set...

You know what? This starts reminding me of Aegislash, which also could suddenly turn the tide in your favour with great ease.
Aegislash had only 2 sets, Mixed 3 Attacks and SubToxic (if anyone brings up SD I will punch you in the dick) with very little variation in moves, and there were loads of consistent checks to both that were viable on all playstyles and weren't niche. Greninja is significantly worse since its "standard" set has a ton of potential move combinations that checking it is something of a crapshoot outside of Scarfers or Stall-only Mons, which are extremely obvious switch-ins and easy to take advantage of with the right move or just switching out.

Last edited:
Here's another thing that keeps coming up. Good players. Skilled players. Decent players.
Why does the skill of a player affect whether or not a Pokemon is useful? I've seen it stated multiples times that either Greninja is a noob cannon that makes all players God just by having him on your team and I've seen that if you don't know that he needs the ban than you're garbage at the game.
Point is, skill is also subjective and such things should not affect the decision because a healthy meta should be fun for all players and not just the ones Smogon deems "good."

I'm on a mobile so it makes responding to everything difficult which I understand is something I have been called out on recently. I have been reading the thread and I still do not get the idea that the move pool is the end of the world. Laddering has you see a majority of Greninja using the same moves, so preparing for those moves is the best way to deal with him the same way you prepare for Mons in OU that are used. Be them individual techniques or actual different Pokemon, the usage data is a useful tool in objectively looking at the meta. If you say Greninja its broken because he could be carrying HP Grass, but only something like (hypothetically) 1% actually uses it, then how much of a threat is that really?

Read through the Greninja thread and you will see posters getting torn new ones for thinking such moves as Grass Knot and Extrasensory are viable, and yet here we are saying it needs to be banned because it has the potential to run those moves, I just don't get the double standards of this community.

Read through the Greninja thread and you will see posters getting torn new ones for thinking such moves as Grass Knot and Extrasensory are viable, and yet here we are saying it needs to be banned because it has the potential to run those moves, I just don't get the double standards of this community.
Right now there are 2 people on this thread: People that want Greninja in Ubers and people who want him to continue wrecking OU. The pro-ban and anti-ban sides are making their cases here (even though it is decided by a vote by those ith 2700+ ranking on the ladder at any time. Arguments on the proban side are

• Speed
  • Protean (and to a lesser extent, Torrent)
  • Perfect coverage (since Gunk Shot takes care of fairy-types, and Low kick is more effective on Chansey and Blissey)
  • overcentralizing the meta by forcing silver bullets on a team (Porygon2, any mon suited on stall teams)
  • the inability of certain playstyles to thrive because Greninja makes Hyper-offensive teams the Gods of OU that could only be slowed down. To make an anogy I'll point to the finale of "The Legend of Korra". to those people Greninja is the Collosus and the team their using are the people of Repblic city trying to stop it but could only slow it down (This applies only to "Day of the Colossus")
While those on the Anti-ban side have these as their arguments:
  • 4MSS
  • Frailty
  • can be revenged killed
  • alleged hypocrisy directed at those that think its uncounterable
  • Ban(d)wagon hate.
However there are many people on this side that are pro and anti. I'm gonna have to ask for proof that someone is berating another user for pointing out "unviable" moves and then that same user basking for the ban because it can use those moves. If you can quote post form a user that says what you claim people are saying about Extrasensory, Grass Knot viability and still asking to b& Greninja, That would help your case.

Here's another thing that keeps coming up. Good players. Skilled players. Decent players.
Why does the skill of a player affect whether or not a Pokemon is useful? I've seen it stated multiples times that either Greninja is a noob cannon that makes all players God just by having him on your team and I've seen that if you don't know that he needs the ban than you're garbage at the game.
Point is, skill is also subjective and such things should not affect the decision because a healthy meta should be fun for all players and not just the ones Smogon deems "good."
We assume that the mon in question is being used by a good player for a couple reasons. One, any broken mon can be easily killed if piloted by a bad player simply because the player will create unnecessary openings (i.e. a Mega Lucario setting up in front of Mega Charizard X). Second, any player that is bad now may still have the potential to become a good player. Players who are bad and stay bad generally don't care enough about the game to attempt to get better and will likely just drop the game when they get bored, thus it makes little sense to cater a meta based on them. However, if the upper ladder suffers because of a suspect, then when a bad player becomes good, what then? They go from a reasonable meta to a bad one. This is why we make the assumption that a mon is being used by a good player: the players that care the most about the state of the meta may not be the best, but they will certainly not be the worst, and they deserve a meta that they can call fun. That's not to say that a ban always leads to this, but it's why each side strives to reach its goal: they either believe the meta is fine, or they believe that removing an element will improve it.

I'm on a mobile so it makes responding to everything difficult which I understand is something I have been called out on recently. I have been reading the thread and I still do not get the idea that the move pool is the end of the world. Laddering has you see a majority of Greninja using the same moves, so preparing for those moves is the best way to deal with him the same way you prepare for Mons in OU that are used. Be them individual techniques or actual different Pokemon, the usage data is a useful tool in objectively looking at the meta. If you say Greninja its broken because he could be carrying HP Grass, but only something like (hypothetically) 1% actually uses it, then how much of a threat is that really?
No one can demand that you fear that 1% usage, but for many this fear comes more from a tournament and high-ladder standpoint. On the lower part of the ladder up until the much, much higher portions, most players stick to safe sets because they tend to be optimized to deal with the most threats without too much heavy adaptation to the meta. However, in tournaments and on the high ladder people will use what they need to in order to win, and often times staying ahead of the trends is a way to gain an edge over other players. Thus, so long as HP Fire is viable in terms of fire power (no pun intended) and coverage, it doesn't matter whether or not it's common on the ladder: it should be treated as a very real threat that might threaten your chances of winning.

As far as I know, I've only seen pro-banners get ripped on for suggesting Grass Knot and Extrasensory by anti-banners, so I don't think that this "double standard" exists. None of the well-known players have ripped on anyone using Extrasensory or Grass knot, and Extrasensory in particular is good enough to have been a part of Greninja's set for the Victim of the Week thread (it was slashed after Dark Pulse but whatever).

First of all, keep in mind that Smogon isn't a single person, there are many individuals that express their opinions (even when many bandwagon) and secondly, to counter your point about hypothetical usage, remember that there are more unskilled players with copy-pasted teams than skilled players (like in any game). While it's true that MOST players just import their Greninja and, as such, you'll face many Gunk Shot/Ice Beam/Hydro Pump/Dark Pulse Ninjas, at high level you'll see Greninjas that are built around their team. While you can guess what the Ninja carries, you can't be sure until you face him and potentially lose some 'mons in the process. HP Grass and Extrasensory are perfectly viable options to lure certain would-be checks or patch up a team's wesknesses.

I'll expand on this later since I'm on mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)