Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
CheekPouch wins

I am out of town for a week, Molk pls run this for that period (sorry to impose w/o asking if you want we can just shelf this for that period).

(Its ur nom if you want to molk :])

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Gunk Shot

SubPunch Pangoro. Pretty basic; set up Sub on something you force out or on status or against mola and then fire off a Focus Punch boosted by Iron Fist and coming off Pangoro's scary attack. Use either Ice Punch + something to deal with Aromatisse or Gunk Shot + something to deal with Gligar.

Speed is for Mola and and a bit of creep I think? I honestly forgot @_@

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Pangoro @ Chople Berry / Coba Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

I find Panda's rampage is always getting cut short by revenge killers such as Cobalion, Virizion, Fletchinder, Mega Pidgeot, and the like. I have also found that while Life Orb helps Panda perform its job better, it doesn't seem to truly need it. So why not trade power for the ability to thwart revenge killers? The power of Life Orb would definitely be missed on unboosted Panda, but with the berry serving as insurance and Panda's own overwhelming offensive presence, it shouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to force out an opponent's fodder to smash the opponent's revenge killer with a boosted move, most preferably with Drain Punch to keep Panda healthy. Against stuff that +2 LO would've KOed, you probably could've set up to +4 in their faces anyway and really start shaking them up.

Speed is to outrun maximum speed Dragalge, if that is a thing; you can definitely opt for lower tho. Mold Breaker to break through Quagsire @3@

Pangoro (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Infestation
- Knock Off
- Low Sweep
- Taunt

This is AIDS. Don't use this. Alright, so this is a variant of Pangoro that , in design, converts various Pangoro switch-ins/lures into set-up bait for sweepers that one chooses to partner with it. The EV spread enables Pangoro to, with 220 Speed EVs (with a neutral nature) outspeed 0 Speed base 85s, such as Cresselia and Gligar - if necessary for the set's functionality. When facing these 'mons in a 1v1, Pangoro has an option to Taunt these Pokemon, so that their utility options do not hinder the sweeper that is to come in afterward. In addition, Mold Breaker enables it to Taunt Aromatisse on a switch-in, as the effects of Aroma Veil are negated. Aside from that, considering the fact that this is more of a support spin on the 'mon, it is best to invest full bulk, and put the remaining 36 EVs in Attack, along with an Adamant nature. (By running 148 EVs in Speed with a Jolly nature, you reach the same speed tier with 11 less attack points.)

The overall idea behind how this set is suppose to play is that when a Pangoro's offensive presence lures in a 'mon like Gligar, Hitmontop, or even Cresselia (in the late-game if the item is already Knocked Off) - Pangoro is able to use Infestation to trap these defensive answers - and either turn them into set-up fodder (Fletchinder works best with this set, as it resists the STABs, and sometimes entire sets of many Pokemon that would be 'trapped'), or pick them off with members of your team that obliterate the given Pokemon.

Low Sweep is the Fighting STAB of choice because sometimes, your opposition's speed upon switch-in is what may hinder your partner'd sweepers ability or inability to penetrate a team's structure. By taking STAB damage and a -1 in Speed, faster Taunters like Cobalion, Drapion, Gligar, Skuntank, etc. won't get the best of you in the match-up.

Leftovers is the item of choice simply because it is the only befitting item in preserving its bulk.

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist / Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 76 SpD / 180 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

I'll edit in a pic later stupid phone.

Aight so this set may look familiar, ie Gallade, but Sub BU Pangoro. With Pangoro's establishment as a premier wall breaker, he can force a lot of switches. This is perfect for setting up substitute on things like Gligar, Alomomola, and Drapion. Bulk Up boosts Pangoro's above average Attack and decent Defense stats, allowing it to take a hit as well as give one. Drain Punch is the first STAB, providing Pangoro much needed longevity, and Knock Off is Knock Off lol. The EVs allow Pangoro to outrun uninvested base 80 Speed Pokemon, and this set cleans up quite nicely late game. Iron Fist for that extra oomf on Drain Punch, but Mold Breaker is acceptable to break Sturdy, Solid Rock/Filter etc.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Pangoro @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch / Hammer Arm

AV Pangoro isn't half bad. It's got usable bulk and a reliable STAB move with recovery in Drain Punch. Knock Off is still p. damn strong thanks to STAB and max Attack. Gunk Shot dumps Aromatisse along with faster Fairies switching in. Ice Punch is used almost solely for Gligar. Hammer Arm can be used in its place if coverage on Gligar isn't desired. EVs maximize Pangoro's Attack and overall bulk to get the most out of AV.

Tbh, there isn't a lot of variety when it comes to Panda. That said, I love the idea of SubBU with Gallade gone. It's basically a slower Gallade with more overall bulk and STAB on Knock Off. How can you not like that in some way? AV probably isn't that great, but it's about the best thing left unfortunately ;;

EonX, if the goal is to optimize the benefit of AV, doesn't it make sense to move some of the HP EVs to Special Defense since the AV bonus will carry more weight that way?

speed would probably be more preferable if any evs were to shift but otherwise hp investment is more useful.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
EonX, if the goal is to optimize the benefit of AV, doesn't it make sense to move some of the HP EVs to Special Defense since the AV bonus will carry more weight that way?
HP investment is almost always more beneficial with AV Pokemon so as to not completely neglect their physical bulk (which for most, is at least decent)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
HP investment is almost always more beneficial with AV Pokemon so as to not completely neglect their physical bulk (which for most, is at least decent)
It really depends on their initial HP, for instance on Pokemon like Hariyama it is more beneficial to run investment in defenses to take the least amount of damage. While on Pokemon with medium HP it is probably better to run HP, of course the best way to figure this all out is to calc and run different spreads to find the most optimal spread.

tehy

Banned deucer.
on the vast majority of Pokemon it is better to run HP, always, unless you really don't care at ALL about one of the stats. In this case, that's not necessarily true, since many Pokemon that check you will attack you physically, such as, say, Gligar.

On a few select Pokemon that have really high HP stats, this no longer becomes true (too much of a good thing). However, that's very few Pokemon. Hariyama, for example, has a bloated 144 HP stat, one of the highest in the game!! and also has very low defensive stats, which contributes as well. I don't know the exact number of Pokemon that have this kind of overloaded HP, but i'm fairly sure there aren't too many.

Explorer

I have a cool Pangoro Set i thought for:

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Choice Band
Moves:
Focus Punch
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Ice Punch/Gunk Shot

Your Main STABs are Drain Punch and Knock Off, and Focus Punch is a neat move to use when you predict switch-ins.
Last move is a choice: Gunk Shot for Aroma, Ice Punch for Gligar

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 292-344 (87.6 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Pangoro Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aromatisse: 494-582 (121.6 - 143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 656-774 (180.2 - 212.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Aromatisse gets OHKOed by Gunk Shot, and Gligar can get OHKOed as well by Ice Punch. Registeel can get OHKOed by Drain Punch and Focus Punch
if you predict the switch correctly.

The point of this set is to severely damage stuff, but requires a lot of predictions to use it right.

tehy

Banned deucer.
get rektzored stalls

Pangoro @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance

SD Mangoro, but with the bulk and lefties to stick around and piss off stall teams, espc. with Heal Bell/Aroma support for scald nignjas and Tox fools. 3 attacks for maximum REKT especially fairies.

Speed is for Alomo, plus a bit of creep because fuck you that's why.

This set is amazing for stallbreaking, only really losing out to phys.D golbat which is damn easy to wear down and you can strip its eviolite. Mold Breaker makes quagsire your bitch

not a bad set tehy, i must say, if you already have something for fairies like Dragalge or Registeel, you can permit yourself putting in Ice punch. just a reccomendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)