Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Calm Mind Latias is a good set to use in Ubers if you already have a defoger on your team, or if you feel like you don't need Defog, this Latias set can be run to great success. As for the the IVs i would advise you to try and get a better Sattk IV since 17 is pretty bad.
He said Calm Latias (as in the nature, and not the move Calm Mind). It isn't a great nature, as timid if necessary to hit a lot of nice Speed benchmarks. As PoweredByRevenge pointed out, 17 SpA is a bit disappointing. Basically, nimbosa there isn't that much of a reason for calm and even on a defensive role, Latias likes to hit things pretty hard.

Sorry to ask a lot of q's but I dont play ubers often so i wouldnt know but hows mewtwo in the oras metagame? It was always a "strong" pick but i dont see it that often, in any form. Is it because neither the mega nor base form is particularly good at one thing? Or msabaleye ruining mew-ys sig set? What are other reasons?
If you play on the ladder as you probably do, I guess that you see less Mewtwos because of how Salamence is good now, as you probably know you can't run two megas in one team so Mewtwo's usage dropped a bit, even Diancie was another good mega that ORAS brought, even if of course it isn't as good as Mence is. However, both regular Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y are really viable in Ubers (as you can see in the viability ranking, they are both A+, which means they are very good). Definitely the introduction of Mega Sableye didn't make them worse imo, as it hasn't a big impact in tier, but I guess that the introduction of new megas (especially of Mega Mence as I said before), made things a bit worse for it, even if it still remains a top tier mons. Regarding Mega Mewtwo X, it's viable (A- rank in the viability ranking), but it isn't as good as the other Mewtwo. I also think that it got a bit worse in ORAS, in fact Lati Twins are top tier threats now that we can use Soul Dew, and Ho-Oh also became more common now that we have the chance to have better Defog users in the tier in Latias and Latios. All these 3 mons can check Mega Mewtwo X well. Finally, obv the introduction of Mega Salamence made things worse for Mega Mewtwo X, as it's able to lower its Attack before mega evolving, and then can slayer it with its strong flying STAB. It has the niche to be one of the best answer to DarkCeus though, which is becoming more common now because it can check Lati twins well. Hope I helped somewhat.

haxiom PoweredByRevenge i'd only go with the 17 because every other IV is great (and it's the lati with all the cutscenes and i can tell i'm gonna get sick of resetting for it), but i do think i'd like timid better. thanks for the advice.

Is Deo-A any good as a revenge killer, or should I swap it out for mew two?

My team currently is: MMence, PDon, EKiller, POgre, and Xern

I guess that between Arceus' Extreme Speed and Mence's Intimidate you already are able to revenge-kill things. PDon's Physical bulkness is also somewhat to not understimate and it allows Groudon to tank certain hits and to KO back. I don't know what set is running your PDon tho, but if you are running something like the RP + Sword Dance one, or anything that hasn't Stealth Rock, you need them. I think you can use Deoxys-A with Stealth Rock + 3 attacks with Focus Sash, or Deoxys-S with Stealth Rock + Spikes, or even Double Screener Deoxys-S in order to have a easier way to setup with your sweepers.-

Dark pulse would definitely be redundant. Sucker punch is probably the next most mandatory move. For the last slot I guess taunt / u-turn / heat wave / whatever else works too
Would you say KO is better than Dark Pulse, then? Honestly, with 2-4 out of 6 mons on every team being immune to Knock Off (Arceus, Mega, Primals), I'd question its utility as a main damage-dealing STAB. Most LO sets I've seen run minimal attack investment, since Sucker Punch hits its targets even with no investment.

Disclaimer: I am not particularly good at or experienced with ORAS ubers.

Knock Off can be nice against Geoxern switchins and a couple of other things, but in general it isn't going to be as useful as a spammable STAB move as it will be as a utility move. It really just depends on your team, but if you need it as a "main damage-dealing STAB" you're probably best sticking with Dark Pulse/Sucker Punch/Oblivion Wing/Whatever suits your team for the last slot.

does the typical Xernas spread for Geomancy (Modest:104/0/32/252/0/120 ) take into account HP Fire? Would I have to use 124 Speed EVs to make up for a 30 speed IV, or does 120 already take that into account?

31 speed IV + 120 speed EV = 30 speed IV + 124 speed EV

Not sure if that answers your question, but you're 1 point lower than a xerneas with the generic evs if you're using the generic spread. Otherwise it's a speed tie.

If you are going to run the 124 speed EVs though, don't remove the 4 from HP. You take less from rocks if you have an odd HP.

EDIT: The only thing It really matters for is other GeoXerns, but by the time they switch in you should have popped your own Geomancy, outspeeding them.

31 speed IV + 120 speed EV = 30 speed IV + 124 speed EV

Not sure if that answers your question, but you're 1 point lower than a xerneas with the generic evs if you're using the generic spread. Otherwise it's a speed tie.

If you are going to run the 124 speed EVs though, don't remove the 4 from HP. You take less from rocks if you have an odd HP.

EDIT: The only thing It really matters for is other GeoXerns, but by the time they switch in you should have popped your own Geomancy, outspeeding them.
Not exactly. Hidden power fire seems standard on GeoXerns so I was wondering if the standard spread already took HP Fire into account or if I need to run 124 speed EVs to compensate.

Not exactly. Hidden power fire seems standard on GeoXerns so I was wondering if the standard spread already took HP Fire into account or if I need to run 124 speed EVs to compensate.
I think you are fine. The speed EVs were designed so that you could outspeed max speed Mewtwo after Geomancy if you come in on webs (according to the dex). Even with the 30 speed EVs at +1 speed your speed should hit 395, which is enough to outspeed max speed Mewtwo, which reaches a speed of 394. I think your speed EVs already take into account the loss of speed from HP fire, so 120 speed EVs should be fine.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
does the typical Xernas spread for Geomancy (Modest:104/0/32/252/0/120 ) take into account HP Fire? Would I have to use 124 Speed EVs to make up for a 30 speed IV, or does 120 already take that into account?
Note this spread isn't recommended since Sticky Web is basically nonexistent. You can run as low as 44 Speed EVs (48 if HP Fire) to outspeed Scarf Genesect, which means Xerneas can run a ton of bulk.

Note this spread isn't recommended since Sticky Web is basically nonexistent. You can run as low as 44 Speed EVs (48 if HP Fire) to outspeed Scarf Genesect, which means Xerneas can run a ton of bulk.
Thanks for letting me know :)
How much would I have to run to outspeed Scarf Genesect @ level 50.
edit: Calculated it myself. Should also be 48, correct?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have been playing ubers using others' teams for quite some time and figured that I should start building my own teams. I built one, got to 1555 on the ladder but ran into some blocks. It was very ho-oh, xerneas, and keys. The team was keys/cm latias/support pdon/support ghostceus/scarf xern/tank yveltal. I changed out ghostceus for sd groundceus and changed cm latias for defog latias in an attempt to be better against keys and random steels. Now that I have a mon that works against ho-oh and keys, I can beat those more easily. I also added rock slide over grass knot on xern. I still am somewhat weak to these mons but increased my ekiller weakness by a lot. Does anyone know of mons to decreased my ekiller weakness?

EDIT: to clarify defensive xern is really hard to kill and I have no idea of a mon to one or two shot it

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I have been playing ubers using others' teams for quite some time and figured that I should start building my own teams. I built one, got to 1555 on the ladder but ran into some blocks. It was very ho-oh, xerneas, and keys. The team was keys/cm latias/support pdon/support ghostceus/scarf xern/tank yveltal. I changed out ghostceus for sd groundceus and changed cm latias for defog latias in an attempt to be better against keys and random steels. Now that I have a mon that works against ho-oh and keys, I can beat those more easily. I also added rock slide over grass knot on xern. I still am somewhat weak to these mons but increased my ekiller weakness by a lot. Does anyone know of mons to decreased my ekiller weakness?

EDIT: to clarify defensive xern is really hard to kill and I have no idea of a mon to one or two shot it
It's a bit hard to keep track of your mons, could you post an importable (so we can see the sets and spreads as well)? Also Tank Yveltal is one of the best answers to EKiller, the main problem would be if you are trying to use it to check too many things and not saving it for EKiller

It's a bit hard to keep track of your mons, could you post an importable (so we can see the sets and spreads as well)? Also Tank Yveltal is one of the best answers to EKiller, the main problem would be if you are trying to use it to check too many things and not saving it for EKiller
The issue being I find it hard to keep sr off the field and it doesn't do so well when sr is up

I'll go grab it
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Toxic

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Arceus @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover
- Swords Dance

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Rock Slide

I didn't get exactly what you meant, but in Ubers you can use just 1 mega mon per team (as in every ORAS tier), but you can run both the Primal mons (Groudon and Kyogre).

I didn't get exactly what you meant, but in Ubers you can use just 1 mega mon per team (as in every ORAS tier), but you can run both the Primal mons (Groudon and Kyogre).
I just watched it again to be sure, and yeah, in addition to Groudon and Kyogre, Scizor mega evolves. I thought that both primal Don and Ogre could be on the same team, but wasn't sure. Perhaps it wasn't a standard match. Idk, I just thought it was odd and maybe a unique feature of Ubers. It was from the Ubers spl replays thread on the first page.

Edit: maybe I'm not understanding the primal mechanic (again I haven't played Ubers since B/W so forgive my ignorance). Is primal reversion different in that it can be used alongside a mega-mon? It stands to reason that if both Don and Ogre can be on the same team then they're not necessarily "mega" and thus don't follow the one per battle rule.

Last edited:
Groudon and Kyogre dont mega evolve. Therefore, they do not take up your mega slot.
Thanks. That's where the confusion was coming from. I thought Primal Reversion was just a fancy name for storyline purposes and wouldn't override the mega rules. Turns out I was wrong.

What makes Zekrom Uber, when Kyurem-Black is OU? What makes Zekrom that much better than Kyu-B?

I'm only asking because Kyu-B is OU and has seems to have better stats. Is it access to Bolt Strike? Even then, I imagine a 130BP/150ATK attack is similar to a 100BP/170ATK move in terms of power. Typing perhaps? Dragon/Ice is garbage (defensively at least).

I pretty much only play OU, so forgive my lack of Uber knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
What makes Zekrom Uber, when Kyurem-Black is OU? What makes Zekrom that much better than Kyu-B?

I'm only asking because Kyu-B is OU and has seems to have better stats. Is it access to Bolt Strike? Even then, I imagine a 130BP/150ATK attack is similar to a 100BP/170ATK move in terms of power. Typing perhaps? Dragon/Ice is garbage (defensively at least).

I pretty much only play OU, so forgive my lack of Uber knowledge. Thanks in advance.
Kyurem-B has god awful time trying to work around its terrible movepool, redundant STAB coverage, and Ice-type's defensive downsides. Zekrom's Bolt Strike is far more powerful than a Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt primarily thanks to STAB and Zekrom's typing makes it a much better Flying-type check in general. Kyurem-B has the BST of a god sure, but its lack of tools and typing do make it a bit worse than Zekrom.

Last edited:
Kyurem-B has god awful time trying to work around its terrible movepool, redundant STAB coverage, and Ice-type's defensive downsides. Zekrom's Bolt Strike is far more powerful than a Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt primarily thanks to STAB and Zekrom's typing makes it a much better Flying-type check in general. Kyurem-B has the BST of a god sure, but its lack of tools and typing do make it a bit worse that Zekrom.
...I'd completely forgotten about Zekrom getting STAB on BS. Appreciate the insight!

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
Why is Mega Lucario in Ubers? It can't take a hit and only has 112 speed and 145 Attack and 140 Sp.Attack. DOESNT make much sense to me...
It's Ubers because it was banned from OU, and unfortunately that's more or less where things go. Your impression of Mega Lucario is basically correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)