UU Simple Questions Thread

Actually you can run HP Ice without lowering Speed (odd/even/even/odd/odd/odd) but Fire provides better overall coverage with Leaf Storm.
Serperior has Dragon Pulse to cover Dragon-types.

Actually you can run HP Ice without lowering Speed (odd/even/even/odd/odd/odd) but Fire provides better overall coverage with Leaf Storm.
Serperior has Dragon Pulse to cover Dragon-types.
HP Ice is more than an option if you run a Substitue Serperior version .
Depends on how you want to play Serperior.

Basically, HP Fire if you have Dragon Pulse, HP Ice if you don't have Dragon Pulse; In the latter case, just make sure you have a way to deal with Steel types via team support.

It'll be two weeks tomorrow since Diancite was tested is the voting behind the suspect going to take longer due to the SPL (I believe most of the council are participating here)? Or will a decision be reached soon?

It'll be two weeks tomorrow since Diancite was tested is the voting behind the suspect going to take longer due to the SPL (I believe most of the council are participating here)? Or will a decision be reached soon?
I think it will take longer , maybe till the break week in SPL.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Which Starmie set is considered more viable in UU: Offensive Rapid Spin or Defensive Rapid Spin? (Obviously it does depend on your team, but I'd like to know which one is generally better.)

Scrafty even with it has decent bulk it doesnt have the sweeping ability that it had last gen. It gets wrecked by pretty much all the tier since it is almost passive with how bad its offenses are leaving you to HAVE to run a boosting set for it to be "good". But even then 9/10 Scrafty just die trying to set up by a mon that is just strong or that hits it super effectively, which are alot. With Trevenant, its incredibly passive too. It relies on Leech Seed or Curse to do damage Recovery from seeds from it and Harvest to stay alive, will that seems decent it is weak to alot just like Scrafty. It gets murked by stuff like Crobat, Hydra, you name it. Thats the problem with both them, they get wrecked and can't "wreck" back. I mean u can use it if you wanna be cute just know most ppl including my self will take advantage.

Not totally sure about Trevenant because the SubCurse set was always pretty AIDS-y to play against, but Scrafty's viability tanking is most obviously attributable to Fairies. Basically any Fairy will 2HKO him without question, most Pokemon carrying Fairy-coverage do as well, and they resist his STABs. On top of that, he couldn't keep up with the power creep of XY/ORAS. You are, of course, free to use Scrafty in UU or whatever tier above you desire, just be warned that he's not good.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Which Starmie set is considered more viable in UU: Offensive Rapid Spin or Defensive Rapid Spin? (Obviously it does depend on your team, but I'd like to know which one is generally better.)
Generally I think offensive is better overall simply because it can at least put some hits out. Of course like you said the choice is very team-dependent, and taking 10% of your HP to clear hazards kind of bites, but you're at least able to threaten some Pokemon with Starmie's coverage and pressure them into giving up a free turn to spin, and you can be a pseudo-wallbreaker thanks to Analytic, meaning Psyshock (and your other moves if you can predict correctly) can destroy switch-ins such as Blissey and Florges as they come in, whereas they might avoid the 2HKO without the extra power from Analytic. While it's arguable that Mega Blastoise pretty much does its job all the same as an offensive Water-type spinner with more bulk to boot, Starmie functions as a fast offensive threat unlike Blastoise, also being able to at least spin against slower mons before having to take a hit, which can be crucial in some situations.

I don't really have a bias against bulky Starmie, I've used it only a small handful of times, though I've seen the potential and its longevity is definitely worth something. Really the big thing worth disliking about the defensive set is its bulk isn't great enough to allow it to make use of its decent typing to actually outright wall too many things without heavily relying on Recover to stay healthy. The Speed is definitely a great perk on it, though.

Generally I think offensive is better overall simply because it can at least put some hits out. Of course like you said the choice is very team-dependent, and taking 10% of your HP to clear hazards kind of bites, but you're at least able to threaten some Pokemon with Starmie's coverage and pressure them into giving up a free turn to spin, and you can be a pseudo-wallbreaker thanks to Analytic, meaning Psyshock (and your other moves if you can predict correctly) can destroy switch-ins such as Blissey and Florges as they come in, whereas they might avoid the 2HKO without the extra power from Analytic. While it's arguable that Mega Blastoise pretty much does its job all the same as an offensive Water-type spinner with more bulk to boot, Starmie functions as a fast offensive threat unlike Blastoise, also being able to at least spin against slower mons before having to take a hit, which can be crucial in some situations.

I don't really have a bias against bulky Starmie, I've used it only a small handful of times, though I've seen the potential and its longevity is definitely worth something. Really the big thing worth disliking about the defensive set is its bulk isn't great enough to allow it to make use of its decent typing to actually outright wall too many things without heavily relying on Recover to stay healthy. The Speed is definitely a great perk on it, though.
If anything, the recent megacham drop might push for more bulky variants of starmie as checks

Why is Cloyster only ranked C? Because I think it can be really powerful and rip apart whole teams after a shell smash.
Is it because you can almost only use the usual shell-smashing-set as a late game sweeper and it is no real option for a switch-in earlier in the battle? Or because of the priority-moves (for which it still has ice shard, even though it's not as powerful as the other attacks)?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Cloyster only ranked C? Because I think it can be really powerful and rip apart whole teams after a shell smash.
Is it because you can almost only use the usual shell-smashing-set as a late game sweeper and it is no real option for a switch-in earlier in the battle? Or because of the priority-moves (for which it still has ice shard, even though it's not as powerful as the other attacks)?
I'll focus on the negatives here. Poor defensive typing, garbage special bulk, predictable moveset, four-move slot syndrome, loses to scarf 105s if you opt for adamant and you have to in order to score OHKOs.

I'll focus on the negatives here. Poor defensive typing, garbage special bulk, predictable moveset, four-move slot syndrome, loses to scarf 105s if you opt for adamant and you have to in order to score OHKOs.
Okay, so pretty much what I assumed (plus one or two other things). I still like it and think it can be very useful in certain situations, but I understand that it will also be complete garbage in some battles.
About the adamant/jolly thing: I know the typical nature for a cloyster is adamant, but I think jolly is an underrated option. Adamant might be a bit better in general, but as there are some pokemon you only beat with an adamant nature, there are some other pokemon only a jolly Cloyster beats as well. So depending on what are the threats to your team you can also consider the jolly one (just my opinion ;-) )

So, with Rock Head Tyrantrum just around the corner, I was thinking of making a team featuring a Wallbreaker set. Unfortunately, I have very little experience in gen 6 UU, so I came here, hoping to get some feedback for the set I thought of.

Just one note, the EVs are optimised for level 50, not level 100.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 12 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/236 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Crunch/Zen Headbutt

Naturally, this being a wall breaker set, I gave it as much power as possible, with an Adamant nature, 252 EVs in attack and a Choice Band. Life Orb is an option, but the loss of power means you miss out on certain OHKOs. Plus, This set will usually just be using Head Smash anyway, so the ability to switch moves doesn't help that much. 236 EVs in speed allow Tyrantrum to outspeed uninvested base 100's and everything slower. 12 EVs go into HP, with the leftover 4 going into defense, because putting them into HP wouldn't actually raise its HP at level 50.

Head Smash is the main move of the set, as it OHKOs/2HKOs everything that doesn't resist it, including defensive juggernauts such as Gligar, Forretress and Defensive Porygon2. Earthquake hits most steel types that resist Head Smash, such as Doublade and Cobalion, quite hard, as well as OHKOing offensive Nidoqueen, which this set outspeeds. Ice Fang hits most Ground types that resist Head Smash for super effective damage. But without Strong Jaw, the move is rather weak, so it fails to 2HKO Hippowdon. In the last moveslot, it's a choice between Crunch and Zen Headbutt. Crunch is the only move Tyrantrum gets that is capable of 2HKOing Defensive Bronzong with Levitate. Zen Headbutt, on the other hand, is this set's best way of dealing with Fighting types, many of which wall this set otherwise.

Moves that get an honourable mention would be Fire Fang, Aerial Ace, Outrage and Superpower. However, none of these moves are useful enough to be used on this set.
Fire Fang might seem useful to deal with Forretress and Escavalier, however, without Strong Jaw, Head Smash deals only a little less damage to both of these, making it pointless.
Aerial Ace is Tyrantrum's only way to 2HKO Defensive Chesnaught. However, it only hits Chesnaught hard. Zen Headbutt deals a decent amount of damage to defensive Chesnaught, while also being able to OHKO/2HKO most other Fighting types in the tier.
While Outrage is powerful enough to break through many walls, Tyrantrum's combination of mediocre speed and mid tier bulk means it is hard to use without committing sepuku in the process.
Superpower hits many pokemon very hard, but the combination of Earthquake and STAB Head Smash makes it largely irrelevant.

So yeah, that summarises the set. Once again, feedback would be appreciated.

Additionally, I'd like to ask what pokémon would pair well with this set as, again, I am inexperienced in the UU tier.

Tyranytar is good in any team bro hes STRONG. One question : why in the UU tier dex it says heracronite is banned, but heracross doesnt even belong to that tier?
Also will gallade be allowed without its stone in the future?just like chemicam IS allowed..what about heracross ?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tyranytar is good in any team bro hes STRONG. One question : why in the UU tier dex it says heracronite is banned, but heracross doesnt even belong to that tier?
Also will gallade be allowed without its stone in the future?just like chemicam IS allowed..what about heracross ?
Gallade and Heracross will only be allowed if they drop by usage.

There's a small issue with those Speed EVs for Tyrantrum. Most/all of the base 100s run enough Speed to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow, who shares a base Speed stat with Tyrantrum. So to my understanding literally every base 100 Pokemon will be outrunning Adamant Tyrantrum. Some will be only that fast, other will invest more fully. But I suggest you go for a different benchmark, or simply max out. You could also run Jolly which is hilarious when your Tyrantrum or Krow is outspeeding stuff they aren't expecting it to outspeed.

Heracronite is still BL, regardless of Heracross' usage. In the event that Heracross drops, Heracronite will remain BL until such a time that Koko and Friends deem a retest appropriate. The same will apply to Gallade and Galladite. Both their base forms will be welcome (I really hope we see Heracross again soon, I miss the Flame Orb set), but their Mega Evolutions will remain banned until they are tested. In my (fairly educated) opinion, Heracronite will see a speedy retest given the massively different metagame it will find itself in, but Galladite will be placed on the backburner for some time given that it was banned only a few months ago, and not much has changed since it was Kicked Upstairs.

Is it viable to run the same move on two of my pokemon? I am a beginner at UU and choose to put Hydreigon and Mega Blastoise on my team. Dark Pulse was obviously a must on Hydreigon, but I'm not sure if my spinner Blastoise needs to run it. I am aware of ghost types, but it seems rather unnecessary to me. I don't want to run aura sphere in its place since I have CC Infernape, and am considering running two water moves on it (the one it already has is water pulse, debating on scald).

Any advice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)