Slurpuff (QC 3/3)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Slurpuff: harmless at first glance, but actually very scary. It looks like a cupcake too!

Overview
========

With access to Belly Drum and the ability Unburden, Slurpuf can prove to be one of the most dangerous late-game cleaners in RU despite its mediocre stats. Thanks to these qualities, Slurpuff can become a massive threat in one turn, setting up to maximize Attack and double Speed, making it hard to revenge kill and hard to take a hit from. With its access to Drain Punch from the move tutors, Slurpuff now no longer has to worry about Steel-types stopping its sweep cold, and allow it to heal off damage it sustains from Belly Drum. Furthermore, Slurpuff has decent bulk and resists Sucker Punch and Mach Punch, which help in setting up and sweeping. Slurpuff can also run a Calm Mind set to a decent degree, allowing it to sweep weakened offensive teams and surprising some of its typical counters such as Escavalier and Doublade. However, Slurpuff possesses very mediocre power before setting up, which limits its usefulness beforehand. Because Belly Drum cuts into a significant amount of Slurpuff's HP, it is harder for it to set up than with other setup sweepers in the tier. Furthermore, due to Unburden's mechanics, Slurpuff can only sweep once per game, so it needs support to be able to successfully sweep a team. Because of these flaws, keep in mind that not all teams will be catered for using Slurpuff.

BIG DOG CAKE
########
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Return / Substitute
move 4: Drain Punch
ability: Unburden
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Belly Drum maximizes Slurpuff's Attack stat and weakens it into the point where the Sitrus Berry will activate, therefore activating Unburden. Play Rough is Slurpuff's strongest STAB move and allows Slurpuff to hit anything that doesn't resist it very hard. Return hits Poison-types like Amoonguss and Golbat fairly hard as well as Moltres, and is also a more reliable option than Play Rough in needed situations. Drain Punch serves as coverage, hitting Magneton and Registeel for super effective damage and also providing recovery for Slurpuff so that it can heal off the Belly Drum damage.

Set Details
========

Slurpuff's EVs give it an even number of HP to be able to activate Sitrus Berry after one Belly Drum, while maximizing power and Speed to be able to sweep effectively. An Adamant nature is preferable for the extra power as Unburden provides enough of a Speed boost, however, a Jolly nature can be used if outspeeding Choice Scarf Delphox is needed.

Usage Tips
========

Slurpuff should mainly attempt to set up on defensive Pokemon such as Aromatisse and Alomomola as those are passive enough to allow Slurpuff to safely set up. Slurpuff should only attempt to sweep once its checks and counters, such as Doublade, Bronzong, Escavalier, and Quagsire are weakened or removed, as otherwise Slurpuff will not be able to successfully sweep a team. One must be sure to save Slurpuff for the late game, as it only has once chance to sweep per game.

Team Options
========

Heliolisk can also check Doublade and get Slurpuff into the battle safely via Volt Switch. Houndoom can also trap Dooublade and Bronzong or force them out. Fletchinder, likewise, can weaken Amoonguss, and cripple many of Slurpuff's answers with Will-O-Wisp and further grant it setup opportunities. Mega Glalie can also wallbreak well for Slurpuff and use Super Fang to put a severe dent in Doublade and Bronzong, and use Explosion to put more severe dents in anything. Other powerful wallbreakers like Delphox, Druddigon, and Clawitzer do great at weakening checks to Slurpuff such as Escavalier and Bronzong, and are hence very good teammates to help it sweep more effectively. Hitmonlee can remove entry hazards for Slurpuff with Rapid Spin and wallbreak effectively as well. Entry hazard support from the likes of Qwilfish and Crustle is also very helpful, wearing down Escavalier and Doublade quickly which makes them much easier to remove.

Other Options
########

Slurpuff has access to Wish and Aromatherapy to function as a cleric, but its lack of good offensive presence and mediocre HP make it an inferior option to Aromatisse and Alomomola in this regard. It can also run a Calm Mind set with Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower, and Surf to sweep and surprise Doublade, Bronzong, and Escavalier, but this set takes too much time to become a threat and depends largely on the opponent weakening it to merely half HP to be effective. Cotton Guard can be used in tandem with Calm Mind, allowing Slurpuff to become nigh impossible to take down while still being a great sweeper. Psychic can be used to allow Slurpuff to be able to hit Amoonguss and Golbat hard. Yawn is a plausible option to force a Pokemon out or put it to sleep, allowing Slurpuff to set up a Belly Drum much more easily. Beyond that, Slurpuff possesses an extremely small movepool that is almost void of options.

Checks and Counters
########

**Steel- and Poison-types** Doublade shakes off anything Slurpuff has to offer, while being able to OHKO it with Iron Head. Escavalier and Bronzong can both live a Drain Punch at full health then OHKO, but struggle to do so if they have sustained prior damage beforehand. Amoonguss and Weezing can both take on a Return and either outright KO Slurpuff or remove its boosts with Clear Smog. However, neither can take two consecutive Returns.

**Whimsicott** Whimsicott can make use of priority Stun Spore and Encore to practically invalidate Slurpuff, either paralyzing it or forcibly locking it into Belly Drum, especially since Slurpuff can only sweep once.

**Offensive Pressure** Overwhelming Slurpuff with extremely powerful attacks will pressure it to a point where it can't set up. This can be rather hard to do, however, as Slurpuff has a great set of resistances to Fighting, Dark, and Dragon.

**Unaware Quagsire** Though relatively uncommon, Quagsire can ignore Slurpuff's Belly Drum boost with Unaware, thus being able to take on anything Slurpuff has to offer and retaliate with either Scald or Earthquake.

Last edited:
since i'm now an abusive qc member, i'm gonna have to ask that at least one set is named "BIG DOG CAKE". i'm none to partial as to which one (though i feel bd is more appropriate), though i feel it imperative that this is completed to some extent. if other members of qc may disagree, please let me know, and i'll be sure to bully and / or peer pressure you into agreeing with me at my nearest convenience.

also, i'll be sure to say actual things of value in the near future, i swear

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Instead of saying belly drum number say even hp so that berry activates or something along those lines since ppl might not know what belly drum number refers to, idk if you were going to do so in the write up

ok, real talk tho

unsure why the speed is set at 204, rather than 200, given that 200 is what's hitting the relevant benchmarks (outpacing timid oma from neutral, scarf moltres down after unburden). i get that 204 is a nicer looking number, but i do believe that it's actually speed creep here, so i'd just pass on that one x_x i'd go with 60 hp / 248 atk / 200 spe as the main spread here, since 60 hp allows slurpluff to activate sitrus / unburden after 4 consecutive sr switch-ins (or two switch-ins to sr+1 layer of spikes), which is niche in application, but worthwhile enough to forgo 1 point of atk. i'd really rather you didn't mention dugtrio as an sr setter, since it's pretty atrocious at it from all experiences with and against it, but otherwise that's fine by me. don't mention pangoro as a means to 'deal with doublade' either, as it implies users just leave their pokemon in on bad match-ups, and usually games have a bit more depth than that. mentioning pursuit users to account for zong and doublade are nice, boosting dark-types like drapion are cool for forcing quag to come in and get knocked off (though it'll usually need a little more prior damage), etc., would be pretty rad.

i actually think calm mind is worth keeping; it doesn't endgame like belly drum potentially can, but it has much more leg room to play, without the restrictive, all-or-bust stance bd is forced to take. again, i'd alter the evs to 60 hp / 248 spa / 200 spe, and i might give mention of sub > surf in moves as well. something i'd like to test a bit more in the current meta, really, but i would rather it wasn't tossed aside just yet, since i feel it does have moderate value rn

Reactions: g

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It could be worth it to use max speed to outspeed adamant tyrantrum. at least mention it in set details.

also I agree with col that dugtrio is probably the worst SR setter I've ever used in RU. It should be using LO/CB and not sash rocks, worst set it has.

Reactions: g
I think outspeeding Exploud and Tyrantrum is more useful than having a better chance to setup on the ultra rare Choice Scarf Braviary (which is the only benchmark I could find with 60 hp) n_n

I would also add Whimsicott to C&C because it is the most reliable way offense has to deal with Slurpuff outside of Doublade which isnt even hard to wear down n_n

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
make c&c the following format:
**Steel-types**: everything that can take a Drain Punch (Doublade,Bronzong, Escavalier, healthy Durant maybe)

**Quagsire**: special mention b/c of Unaware

**Physical Walls** Alomomola, Weezing, etc.

**Priority**: stuff like Fletchinder Acrobatics that can damage it; usually not enough to KO, b/c it resists most common priority

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is fairly basic so yeah:

In overview, I'm not sure what you mean by "belly drum mechanics" so idk if thats even worth adding lol

On Belly Drum, specify that Drain Punch can't KO Escavalier from 100% and it needs SR to KO or a bit of prior damage. mention it stil only does like 73% maximum (and 60% minimum iirc) to specially defensive zonger.

As I said in my previous post max speed outspeeds adamant tyrantrum and something else (i forgot which lol) which imo is important enough to let the extra hp go. use 4 hp / 252 atk / 252 spe adamant as the main spread; still has even number for belly drum.

On teammates I think col covered this but remove the rocks mention on Dugtrio and just say it hurts steel types and provides memento support (which is huuge). Mention Whimsicott for the same reason, and also mention that it can lure steel-types (zonger, escavalier) and u-turn out and if stealth rocks are intact then it can wear them down bit by bit for slurpuff to have an easier time.

A good user from the cores thread (sorry forgot who @_@) posted about a mega glalie + slurpuff core where mega glalie lures steels and weakens them, mention that. say that it has Super Fang to take 50% off their health and can damage them more than enough for slurpuff with eq/explosion/double-edge, while potentially setting up a spike or two.

I'd like a mention of Rhyperior in c&c. it has bulk to live 1 hit and can roar slurpuff away. I also agree with galbia about whimsicott in c&c, it can directly switch in and if slurpuff belly drum'd then it can encore, if not, then it can still have stun spore or some shit.

do all that and consider it qc approved 1/3. i have no opinion on calm mind cupcake but i wouldn't mind removing it.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add Bronzong and Amoonguss to checks and counters. Both of them can take a +6 hit from Slurpuff even without being fully invested (252/0 Bronzong takes about 80 max from +6 Drain Punch, standard Amoonguss can take a +6 Return from full HP) and from there either severely damage Slurpuff with their STABs (Bronzong's Gyro Ball OHKOs with Unburden factored in, Amoonguss's Sludge Bomb is a roll, but Stealth Rock seals the deal) or stop Slurpuff's sweep in return with Spore or Clear Smog in Amoonguss's case. Weezing's a pretty good counter to Slurpuff too imo but i'm not sure if you think it's relevant enough to add here.

I'd also remove Alomomola from checks and counters, +6 Play Rough does a ridiculous amount, +6 Drain Punch is going to be restoring a lot of Slurpuff's HP, and any Slurpuff with Substitute can easily turn the tables and just use Alomomola as set up bait ;-;.

Fletchinder and Mega Pidgeot might be two good Pokemon to add to team options imo. They're quite good at luring in and weakening Slurpuff's checks and counters to the point that it can sweep unimpeded (Fletchinder by accumulating chip damage with Will-O-Wisp and using Escavalier as set up bait, Mega Pidgeot by simply battering them with repeated Hurricanes and Heat Waves, both birds can handle Amoonguss quite nicely). In return, Slurpuff's nuclear Play Roughs and Drain Punches make it quite easy for it to return the favor for either of them. Lastly, it's worth mentioning that the attack drop from Fletchinder's Will-O-Wisp can help Slurpuff set up a Belly Drum and get the ball rolling in the first place on occasion, which is of course *really* great.

Dragalge's in a similar boat to the two birds here, Adaptability Draco Meteors are going to be denting the Steel-types that puff struggles with quite a bit, making it quite easy to get them into KO range for Slurpuff's sweep, not to mention that Poison-types such as Amoonguss and Weezing generally give Dragalge relatively free opportunities to fire off a Draco.

Mega Camerupt is something else i'd add to team options, all the Steel and Poison-types that check Slurpuff let it get in pretty easily, giving it countless opportunities to nuke the opposing team with Sheer Force boosted Fire Blasts and Earth Powers.

I also agree with most of the things that Arikado mentioned in his QC check, Whimsicott's Prankster Encore is a great way to stop Slurpuff from sweeping, and Mega Glalie is another great option for overwhelming Steel-types to clear the way for Slurpuff.

Just like Arikado i have no opinion on Calm Mind but i'd have no problem w/ removing it, any other QC members have thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Give Whimsicott's Prankster Encore a mention in C&C and you can consider this.

QC Approved 2/3

I think the best way to do c&c is probably splitting intorno Steel-types not weak to fighting which win if healthy, poison types that are mostly the same bit can afford being weaker such as weezing and shroom, and offensive pressure to prevent set-up in which whimsicott should probably be put in as it is the best way for offense to handle it

Also, perhaps it's worth mentioning that Facade can be run over Return, since Slurpuff is prone to being burned via Will-o-Wisp, crippling its ability to sweep.

First of all you should remove all the mention of banned Pokemon, I spotted a moltres one while skimming through this but there might be more. Regarding stuff to set up on I am not the biggest fan of setting up on alomomola as it is very freaking inconsistent of you don't have sub so make a strong mention of that. additional setup fodder include Golbat, fighting types outside of cobalion and emboar choice locked into superpower (so virizion, Lee, hitmontop, and medicham not locked into zen, gurdurr), bulky attackers without a super effective move (eelektross, most skuntank, reuniclus without boosts) and cm cresselia (wall too if sub). Energy Ball on the belly drum set should be in oo as beats quagsire. Remove cm mention from overview as it isn't a main set. Add Lix to steels as it takes it on as well as zong or esca. I'd also like some minor mention of banette in c&c (you could change whimsy to "priority" idk)

yeah, do what galbia said, though i'm hesitant to mention skuntank, given there's a reasonable chance of it packing either poison stab or punishment as a means to keep it honest (punishment deals ~45-55% which, in tandem w/sr, puts it assuredly into sucker punch range).

my main issues (not to include what's been mentioned already), are the application of rather 'dated' examples; registeel, golbat, scarf delphox, bronzong, etc. should be significantly downplayed in mentions, as they're none too pertinent in the metagame at hand (i'd say amoonguss as well, but i personally think it's gaining in value rn). mention durant as a target for drain punch, who isn't an assured ohko from +6 play rough after sr (plus that move misses), and probably replace registeel / zonger mentions (they're still good for c&c, just not warranting express mention here). a blurb on +6 drain punch popping off 'lix after ~30% prior damage would be nice as well. garbodor / qwilfish should be acknowledged to some capacity, with qwilfish actually being an good advocate for sub > return, given it wants to sub as to avoid twave / have a favourable chance to avoid dealing with scald (does, like, 22-26% iirc), allowing you to 2hko w/+5 play rough safely.

oh, and it's name is still something other than BIG DOG CAKE. i gave you several months to make this change, gosh :l

Yeah OK remove skuntank which is outsped and after slurpuff belly drums it ohkos with foul play on the sane turn

tehy

Banned deucer.
Cm set should probably get out of overviee

Substitute has no explanatory sentence in moves

Mlix should be all up in checks and counters tbh

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
okay since this mon moved up please move this to L&O...RIP Cupcake...

Good thing I waited to see if UU would take this thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)