ORAS OU We be turnin' (not concernin') [Peak no. 5 @ 1834]

This is a team which utilises a simple strategy of volt-turn. All six members unexpectedly carry u-turn or volt-switch (yes, Manaphy indeed) which is guaranteed to give your opponent a headache. This is my second RMT, and is more standard than my first which also peaked at No 5:(http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/murderkrow-peak-no-5-on-showdown-ou.3527547/) Please check it out - it's way more odball than this!

The team has had many different versions, and I've never really decided what's best. I started out with Adamant scarf Diggersby, but have used Jolly scarf subsequently (for Lopunny and Manetric). The Rotom-W slot has changed many times (Scarf Rotom-W, Specs Rotom-W, Bulky Rotom-W, Scarf Hydregion, Offensive Volt-Switch Zapdos, Final gambit/CB Victini; currently trying Gothitelle [not a turner but efficiently removes Keldeo + defensive threats]). I might try Dugtrio with toxic (for Heatran, Raikou, and toxic-haters) sometime if I continue to use this team.
I will post the version active at the time when I peaked at rank 5 (proof below). I might have got higher but I stayed up too late and started playing bad (lol). I'm back up around 13th on ben69 account though.

Proof of peak:

Thundurus@leftovers
Timid: 252SpA, 252Speed, 4Def
Prankster
Taunt, Volt-Switch, Thunder Wave, HP Ice

Thundurus is able to taunt Stealth Rock leads, Ferrothorns, and prevent stall mons from recovering. Thunder-wave is a useful fail-safe mainly for Zard-X [considering I find myself using it surprisingly little, either Grass Knot, Knock-off, U-turn (lol), or Toxic may be viable replacements]. Volt switch is very useful for evading Scarf Tyranitar and wreaking a surprising amount of havoc on opponents that don't expect it. HP Ice covers Dragons, Lando, Gliscor etc. nicely. Even though it's more of an annoyer, you still want all-out offensive EVs to rack up the damage. Only Stealth Rock can prevent this mon from dancing around your opponent's team and driving them insane.

Landorus@Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Impish: 248Hp, 252Def, 8Spe
Intimidate
Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Stone Edge, U-turn

Standard stuff. I now prefer Rocky Helmet to punish opposing U-turners and the likes of Fake-out or Power-up-punch Mega-Lopunny. However, Lefties is better agains stall. Landorus would love to run toxic but it can't afford the slot as the other moves are essential. Stone edge is a must for Talonflame and Zard switch-ins. To play Landous really well, don't always be in a rush to set up rocks; you can often catch pokemon like Latis or Charizards with a nice U-Turn or Stone Edge as your opponent will clearly anticipate this play. After taunting Azelf with Thundurus, you'll want to switch in this guy on the Fire Blast (predicting Scizor). Then instead of setting up your own Rocks, U-turn out or the taunt will wear off.

Scizor@Scizorite
Light Metal->Technician
Careful: 248Hp, 116Atk, 144SpDef
U-turn, Roost, Swords Dance, Bullet Punch

A lot of less-experienced players don't understand this set. This is a specially defensive check to Latis and fairies, which can tank one Lati HP Fire. U-is to maintain momentum against Keldeo, Heatran and the many defensive switch-ins. Slow U-turns against pokemon like Gliscor guarantee a safe switch for Manaphy and Thundurus. Swords Dance>Defog provides a win condition that can sweep against weakened teams once it's checks and counters are removed. Also, I want my Rocks up. Toxic>Swords dance could be really nice and I want to try this sometime (Hits Keldeo and a myriad of defensive threats). Mega-Scizor's sprite looks really cool (dem wings) and this is obviously an important concern when teambuilding. [How anyone could use a 'mon as rubbish-looking as Alomollomolola is sickening].

Manaphy@Leftovers
Hydration
Timid: 252SpA, 160Spe, 96Hp
Scald, Tail Glow, Rain Dance, U-turn

"U-turn Manaphy?! You're so bad..."

I've heard that a few times, but not from anyone good enough to 'get it'. This guy is the team's best stallbreaker. U-turn is useful to hit Latis, Gothitelles, and whatever on the Switch-in and maintain the Volt-turn chain. I used to run Psychic>Rain dance, but you need Rain Dance to heal status and beat Unaware Clefable. Heatran can also status you and lol at you as well without it when you try to set up. I really miss Psychic for Keldeo so it could be considered> U-turn. However, If you don't have it, then Latis have an easy switch in. You could burn them and switch to Scizor, but that is so predictable and leaves you very open to double-switches and a massive loss of all-important momentum. This team works by never giving the opponent a free turn if you can help it.
[Note: It would be worth trying a Modest nature, as I'm not sure how much stuff this guy really needs to outspeed tbh]

Diggersby@Choice Scarf
Huge Power
Adamant: 252Atk, 252Spe, 4Def
Return, Earthquake, U-turn, Fire Punch/Knock-Off

This guy is really underrated. It is much better offensively than Lando-T, although inferior defensively. Other really good sets are LO 3-Attacks+Spikes, 4 Attacks with U-turn, or Choice Band, SD with Fire Punch (don't get walled by Gengar). I am posting Adamant Scarf here as this was what I used to peak, but I later used Jolly to outspeed Mega Lopunny/Manetric. Note that due to its reliance on Huge Power, the change in nature makes a real difference to its power (Adamant return can OHKO Latias from near-full). I have tried using this guy with a LO 4-attacks and using a different scarfer in the last slot with good success. (E-belt/Silk Scarf to bluff the scarf is also boss).

Rotom-W@Choice Specs/Scarf
Levitate
Modest: 252SpA, 252Spe, 4Def
Volt-switch, Hydro Pump, Trick, Wil-O-Wisp/HP fire/Signal Beam

I've tried a lot in this slot, and all worked fairly well: This guy (various sets), offensive Zapdos, Hydregeion and currently trialling Gothitelle. The pokemon in this slot must be one that checks Rain in some manner because Manaphy can't do it alone. Choiced Rotom-W is seen very seldom but it is used here for two reasons: 1: Heatran lols at bulky Rotom-W and sets up Stealth Rock in it's face. 2: Tricking Ferrothorn and other defensive threats is fantastic. I want to try out 4-Attacks Expert Belt with HP Fire and Signal Beam 'cause non-standard =/= bad, despite what 80% of the ladder seem to believe. I think it's always nice to have at least one nonstandard moveset on a team to avoid predictability.

I've posted this team because I enjoy teambuilding and trying new stuff, and am a bit bored of this team at the mo (new pastures beckon). I would like to perfect it though and make it as good as it can be!

Thanks for reading,

ben69/fzappa

Replays:
Vs. OTRTVC (Close game, using Zapdos version of team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-205054940

Vs. lil manaphy (Good match)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-205123857

Vs Ox the box (Using Final Gambit Victini version to remove a threat)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-205276753

Importable (With E-belt Rotom-W in last slot):
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- U-turn

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Atk / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Return
- U-turn

Attachments

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Lookin' Good! Not feeling Specs Wash, but Scarf seems fine to cripple Mons. From what I've seen, Hydration + Rain Dance Manaphy usually includes Rest. Since you don't have it, try Ice Beam or Energy Ball.

Everything else look pretty good, hope I helped out with your team in the even slightest bit!

Thanks for the rate, rest > u-turn is worth considering, actually. Ice beam or energy ball are both less useful than psychic though, since it covers both Keldeo, Venusaur, and Amoonguss. One has to consider Scarf Gothitelle stall teams though, which u-turn can catch nicely.

Replays added to OP

Will add importable.

Idk how you can just say U-Turn on set-up sweepers is bad. I know the conventional sets. This team has beaten enough cookie-cutter teams to justify the movesets imo.

I might have to retest Victini in the last slot. Passho Berry / CB/ Scarf Final gambit sets are v. useful.

Last edited:
It's just counter intuitive really.

'Sets up Swords Dance to potentially sweep.'
'Next turn U-Turns outs'
Makes you wonder why you'd set up in the first place...

But I suppose I can't talk (I've never been No. 5 haha), and obviously this team seems to be working out for you! Nice job :)

You only set up when their team is on their last legs and heatran, keldeo and the like are very weak or dead. Lack of u-turn makes mega scizor a sitting duck in the early to middle game. It can't afford to sit in the back like an offensive set because it's job is primarily as a Lati/Knock-off check so it usually comes in early on, tanks a hit and turns out, getting an advantage on their Scizor counter.

Liked for obscure Sean Paul song reference that I'm sure not too many other people got. Congrats on another top 5, and props for making such unconventional sets work.

Thanks for the rate, rest > u-turn is worth considering, actually. Ice beam or energy ball are both less useful than psychic though, since it covers both Keldeo, Venusaur, and Amoonguss. One has to consider Scarf Gothitelle stall teams though, which u-turn can catch nicely.

During testing such acts occurred lol great team expert belt on rotom is genius, like someone stated before you might consider adding defog scizor because you get worn down quick. Over all great team thanks for sharing

Just a minor fix:

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

With 24 evs in HP u reach 305 hp (odd number for rocks, sand etc) and u hit a leftover number (u get 31 HP/turn instead of 30).

How do you deal with hazards? I feel like a team with this much switching could get worn down like crazy without some hazard control.

As this guy says, taunt thundurus + offensive pressure can often prevent hazards. the key is not to waste turns setting up rocks with lando unless you have a good opening to do so.

Only trouble I've ran into is with pain split rotom w and lead sash breloom.For rotom, I upped the speed on expert belt rotom to outspeed bisharp and breloom. I have played with will o wisp as well but ended up returning to signal beam. (hp fire leads to a lot of people saying how stupid it is as i laugh while their ferrothorn dies...) Swords dance on scizor is genius as it gives you a great win condition that the opponent isn't expecting after you u turn out the first time.as funny as it is to u turn on latias switch ins, I find another attack more useful on manaphy.
All in all great team!

Mega Venusaur looks like it can do a number to your team, especially HP fire variants. While it seems like the general strategy is to wear it down enough so Digg or Sciz can break it, M venusaur isn't all too threatened by the entirety of your team once you reveal non-psychic Manaphy and Thundurus. Have you ever had this issue? On my phone so I would give a suggestion but my fingers hurt lol

I've not played much recently but I had been using Passho Berry Victini with Final Gambit, V-Create, Bolt Strike + U-Turn instead of Rotom and it worked well. It's a good lead vs Rotom-W or Venusaur, and can remove a key pokemon from rain teams with Final Gambit. (Passho Berry is to beat Keldeo.) Scarf or Band are also good.

With a Rotom version of the team, I'd rely on Thundurus to cripple the Venusaur with Taunt+T-Wave and then it shouldn't be too hard to wear down. However Venu is not very popular on the ladder atm and I literally haven't run into it once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)