NU Malamar

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Synchronized arm-dancers.. aren't they majestic?

You hold your 3DS upside down to evolve it.. Still cant get over that, it's so damn cool :heart:

Overview
########

With access with to the amazing ability, Contrary, as well as access to Superpower to abuse it, Malamar can quickly gather boosts while attacking, making it a real pain after just a few turns. Malamar has impressive bulk when fully invested, granting it easy setup opportunities versus slower walls; it also has fantastic coverage options which aid it greatly once it has set up. However, Malamar's lackluster typing leaves it with no resistances and a 4x weakness to Bug, which can easily be taken advantage of. Its rather low Speed stat makes it difficult to sweep, as Malamar will often be taking hits before attacking. On top of that, its most spammable move, Superpower, only has 8 PP, which can be taken advantage of with Protect and Pressure.

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Superpower
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
ability: Contrary
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar with a 120 Base Power Fighting-type attack, and is Malamar's best way of abusing Contrary, as it makes Malamar bulkier and stronger. Knock Off is a strong STAB move once Malamar has boosted, and it is very helpful early-game for removing the items of Malamar's switch-ins, making them easier to wear down throughout the rest of the game. Rest restores Malamar's health and allows it to take advantage of the bulk it gains from Superpower. Rest also cures status aliments, specifically poison and burn, preventing them from crippling Malamar. Sleep Talk prevents Malamar from becoming a sitting duck for the turns that it is asleep, and it also allows Malamar to continue boosting without using up Superpower's rather low PP, which helps alleviate the pressure it faces against bulkier teams.

Set Details
======

By maxing out Special Defence, combined with Superpower boosts and Rest, Malamar is incredibly difficult to KO, especially for slower teams that don't hit as hard. 12 Speed EVs allow Malamar to outspeed 0 Speed Seismitoad and slower walls, as being able to use Rest against Seismitoad before it attacks can be crucial late-game.

Usage Tips
========

It is best to bring in Malamar on Pokemon it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will likely be switched out, and Malamar will get a boost, regardless of the situation. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types, or Pokemon that can't do much after a +1 Defense boost, such as Rhydon that lack Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Generally, using Knock Off early in the game if the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Migmagius or Gourgiest is useful, as said Pokemon will be easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match, aiding Malamar's sweeping potential later on. Don't try to set up more than what is necessary if the opponent still has a Bug-type or a Pokemon such as Samurott or Rhydon with Megahorn, as they will force Malamar out regardless of how many boosts it has. Try predicting a Defog from something harmless, such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, when switching in Malamar to grant it an Evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========

Steel-types such as Steelix, Probopass, and Klingklang are helpful teammates, as they can switch into the Bug-type attacks that Malamar attracts. A Mantine lure such as Ancient Power or Rock Slide Mega Cameupt or a Fighting-type with Thunder Punch is also very useful, as Mantine often carries Haze, which will remove Malamar's boosts. Pairing up Malamar up with Pokemon that also spam Fighting-type attacks, such as Sawk, Hariyama, or Kecleon, can be useful, as they each wear down the opponent's switch-ins for Malamar throughout the game.

Three Attacks
########
name: Three Attacks
move 3: Psycho Cut
move 4: Substitute / Rest
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
evs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar with a 120 Base Power Fighting-type move, which is its best way of abusing Contrary, as Superpower makes Malamar bulkier and stronger at the same time. Knock Off is a strong STAB move once Malamar is boosted, as it removes items and hits almost everything that resists Superpower for neutral damage. Psycho Cut gives Malamar an easy way of getting around Poison-types that would otherwise give it trouble, including Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbordorall of which are cleanly 2HKOed after a Superpower boost. The last slot is up to you. Substitute is recommended, as it also allows Malamar to avoid status such as burn, pseudo-status such as Leech Seed and confusion, as well as giving Malamar a barrier to hide behind, which lets Malamar get off an attack versus foes it normally would have to switch out immediately from. Rest and a Chesto Berry is also an option, as it prevents Malamar from being whittled down by slower teams and entry hazards; however, Malamar only gets one chance at using Rest without worry.

Set Details
======

The given EV spread allows Malamar's Substitutes to survive weak moves from the likes of Weezing, Vileplume that lack Moonblast, Seismitoad, Mantine, Poliwrath, and Ferroseed. However, if Rest is chosen over Substitute, a simple spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with an Adamant nature is the most effective, as Malamar no longer needs to worry about having its Substitutes survive weak attacks, and maximum Speed investment allows it to outspeed the common Calm Mind Xatu set, as well as maximum base 70 Speed Pokemon. Leftovers is used with Substitute to increase longevity, as Life Orb combined with Substitute wears down Pokemon very quickly and makes it much harder for Malamar to make use of the Defense boosts from Superpower.

Usage Tips
========

It is best to bring in Malamar on Pokemon it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will likely be switched out, and Malamar will get a boost, regardless of the situation. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types, or Pokemon that can't do much after a +1 Defense boost, such as Rhydon that lack Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Generally, using Knock Off early in the game if the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Migmagius or Gourgiest is useful, as said Pokemon will be easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match, aiding Malamar's sweeping potential later on. Don't try to set up more than what is necessary if the opponent still has a Bug-type or a Pokemon such as Samurott or Rhydon with Megahorn, as they will force Malamar out regardless of how many boosts it has. Try predicting a Defog from something harmless, such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, when switching in Malamar to grant it an Evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========

Steelix makes for a fantastic partner for Malamar, beating up on almost everything that Malamar struggles with. For example, Togetic, Scyther, and Vespiquen all beat Malamar, but all lose just as easily to Steelix. Other problematic Pokemon for offensive Malamar include Mantine, Granbull, and Bug-type coverage moves on offensive Pokemon. These troublesome Pokemon can be taken care of with Magmortar or other Fire-types with Hidden Power Electric, and having a Substitute up can help Malamar avoid being revenge killed by Bug-type Pokemon and moves.

Other Options
########

A Choice Scarf set is usable, though it is completely outclassed by Malamar's other sets. It does have the ability to utilize Malamar's nifty supportive movepool consisting of Switcheroo, Destiny Bond, and Topsy-Turvy, though. Rock Slide can be used to nail counters such as Togetic, Scyther, and Mantine on the switch. A defensive set with Infiltrator, Toxic, and Topsy-Turvy can be effective when played correctly, but generally Malamar is better off using a Contrary set. Topsy-Turvy is, sadly, very difficult to fit on any Contrary movesetoffensive or defensive. Calm Mind plus RestTalk is a fun set to try, but is nothing more than a gimmick when compared to the consistency of the main set.

Checks & Counters
########

**Togetic**: Togetic can easily switch in on a Superpower and has a decent chance to 3HKO Malamar with Dazzling Gleam. Togetic should be cautious of Knock Off, however, as it will weaken Togetic's ability to support other members of the team, but Malamar itself is never breaking though Togetic.

**Bug-type Pokemon**: Bug-type Pokemon, specifically Bulky Swords Dance or Choice Band Scyther, can easily switch into Malamar, only fearing the nearly non-existent Rock Slide, then immediately threaten it out with a STAB U-turn.

**Bug-type Coverage Moves**: Pokemon in NU are commonly carrying Bug-type coverage moves to deal with Malamar. Rhydon, Samurott, Mesprit, Uxie, and Xatu are some examples.

**Mega Audino**: Mega Audino is a more defensively orientated approach at dealing with Malamar, and is commonly seen on stall. It obviously has trouble switching in before it has Mega Evolved, as it will still a pure Normal-type. However, once it has Mega Evolved, Dazzling Gleam has a chance to 3HKO, and Malamar has trouble doing anything in return without a few boosts. Additionally, Mega Audino can make use of Skill Swap in the last slot to fully cripple Malamar and force it out.

**Unaware Quagsire**: Unaware Quagsire can easily switch in on anything Malamar wants to do, then proceed to either Encore it into one move or set up on it with Curse. Without Encore or Curse, however, Quagsire actually has a lot of trouble dealing with Malamar, as Earthquake and Scald do very little damage, and Malamar can Rest off any status, then proceed to simply PP stall by not selecting Sleep Talk while asleep.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Alright, this is written up for the most part. For some reason the formatting seems super fuck up, but idk what it is.

Also I want QCs options [hint: more than 1 QC member's opinion] about adding Scarf. It's pretty outclassed by its other potential sets, but it has really cool moves like Topsy Turvy, Switcheroo, and D-bond for the last 2 slots, and when paired with other Fighting-types can either sweep late game, or wear down fighting resists for its partner.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not qc, just thoughts.

**Bulky SD Scyther**

**Choiced Scyther**

**Obscure Bug-types**

**Random Bug Moves**

**Samurott**

I feel all of this can be merged into bug type attacks / moves, because the points is pretty much the same - its 4x weak to bug. Non-choiced scyther occasionally runs a bug move, so yeah. Just have scyther as the biggest mention, and then mention coverage moves on stuff like rott and mesprit that are specifically meant for malamar. Rott dies to knock + superpower after rocks, and hates having its LO removed, and sd generally isnt /that/ great and I assume thats the set you're referring to.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Rott dies to knock + superpower after rocks, and hates having its LO removed, and sd generally isnt /that/ great and I assume that's the set you're referring to.
As for Rott, I listed it last as it was going to be more of a special mention in *bug moves* because with Hydro + Megahorn it beats the stupid aids core of Mega-Steelix and Malamar. Also listed last because its just a check, definitely not a counter. You'd never switch it in, but you can pretty much always revenge it unless its at like +4 or something dumb.
idk about combining them all into 1 category, because they are different enough that I'd have to point out differences. Maybe ** Scyther**, **Bug Moves**, and **Obscure Bug Types**? I really do feel like scyther deserves its own mention, as it has 2 viable sets that both beat malamar reliably, and its also the only bug type nu has that isn't utter shit.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
If you want to use Substitute on Malamar, using an offensive spread defeats the entire purpose of the set, as your Substitutes won't be able to stand up to attacks from bulkier Pokemon. The ChestoRest can afford offensive investment since it doesn't care about status, but for the Substitute variant having its Subs survive attacks is paramount to its success.

A spread of 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe @ Careful gives Substitute Malamar good special bulk while outrunning the likes of Cacturne and Exeggutor. Here's what the bulk lets Malamar achieve:
0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Malamar: 73-87 (19.4 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferroseed Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 69-82 (18.4 - 21.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mantine Scald vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Malamar: 69-82 (18.4 - 21.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Weezing Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Malamar: 82-97 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Poliwrath Scald vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Malamar: 63-75 (16.8 - 20%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Malamar: 78-93 (20.8 - 24.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 71-84 (18.9 - 22.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
Your current Malamar spread's Substitutes will either break instantly, or have a chance to break when they otherwise wouldn't to these attacks. An alternative spread with 136 SpD can be used to still hit the jump point and the remaining EVs placed into Speed; while this increases the likelihood Weezing can break the Substitute, it allows Malamar to outspeed most, if not all Garbodor.

Edit: TheCanadianWifier Substitute also allows Malamar to block Clear Smog and Worry Seed.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
If you want to use Substitute on Malamar, using an offensive spread defeats the entire purpose of the set, as your Substitutes won't be able to stand up to attacks from bulkier Pokemon. The ChestoRest can afford offensive investment since it doesn't care about status, but for the Substitute variant having its Subs survive attacks is paramount to its success.
A spread of 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe @ Careful gives Substitute Malamar good special bulk while outrunning the likes of Cacturne and Exeggutor. Here's what the bulk lets Malamar achieve:

Your current Malamar spread's Substitutes will either break instantly, or have a chance to break when they otherwise wouldn't to these attacks. An alternative spread with 136 SpD can be used to still hit the jump point and the remaining EVs placed into Speed; while this increases the likelihood Weezing can break the Substitute, it allows Malamar to outspeed most, if not all Garbodor.
~implemented

Punchshroom

Btw, I feel "Random Bug moves" and "Obscure Bug mons" can be merged into just Bug-type attacks in general; even most of the relevant Bug Pokemon we have don't use their Bug STAB and usually have to go out of their way to fit them on their movesets, similiarly to Pokemon that tech Bug moves into their moveset, like Mesprit and Samurott.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Btw, I feel "Random Bug moves" and "Obscure Bug mons" can be merged into just Bug-type attacks in general; even most of the relevant Bug Pokemon we have don't use their Bug STAB and usually have to go out of their way to fit them on their movesets, similarly to Pokemon that tech Bug moves into their moveset, like Mesprit and Samurott.
My whole idea in seperating them in the first place was that the two are pretty different: one one hand you have super irrelevant bugs like Dustox and Vespiquen which do technically counter the squid, but really shouldn't be mentioned with NU's only relevant bug, Scyther; and then on the other hand you have pokemon like Mesprit, Samurott, and Sandslash, who are dropping their precious coverage moveslots to keep the squid in check. I don't know how well I could combine the two topics into one category, or if the irrelevant ones are infact too irrelevant to even bother mentioning and it should just be one category anyway. thoughts?

Punchshroom

My whole idea in seperating them in the first place was that the two are pretty different: one one hand you have super irrelevant bugs like Dustox and Vespiquen which do technically counter the squid, but really shouldn't be mentioned with NU's only relevant bug, Scyther; and then on the other hand you have pokemon like Mesprit, Samurott, and Sandslash, who are dropping their precious coverage moveslots to keep the squid in check. I don't know how well I could combine the two topics into one category, or if the irrelevant ones are infact too irrelevant to even bother mentioning and it should just be one category anyway. thoughts?
In this case, what I would do is separate "Bug-type Pokemon" and "Bug-type coverage moves".

- The Bug-type mons can usually switch into Malamar and deal with it, but mention that the only common one is Scyther, while other Bug-types either may not have room for the moveslot (such as Vivillon, Volbeat, and Crustle) or have no room on teams in general (Dustox, Vespiquen, etc.). You can make a slight note on Rock Slide hitting most of these mons hard.

- Pokemon carrying Bug-type coverage moves are easier to slot into teams (Mesprit, Xatu, Samurott, etc.), but most of these users are risky switch-ins to Malamar, and tend to sacrifice a valuable moveslot to keep Malamar in check.

While no Spiritomb, Gourgeist-Super still makes a decent switch-in to Malamar, as it is immune to Superpower and can shrug off Knock Offs. However, the first Knock Off can sting, and losing Leftovers weakens Gourgeist-Super's matchups against other physical attackers.

Poison-types can be mentioned in C&C as well since most can stop the RestTalk set with either Haze, Clear Smog, or in Plume's case Moonblast / Worry Seed, but do note their bad matchup against the 3 attacks variant with Psycho Cut.

I'm not sure if this is C&C worthy since it is so rare, but changing Malamar's ability with moves such as Skill Swap and Worry Seed is a last-ditch way to keep it in check.

QC: what the fuck else actually needs to be said about this? it requires 0 support,,
You can mention teammates that appreciate having Malamar around. Having a small Team Options section isn't the worst thing though. Maybe add one more example of Pokemon that appreciate Malamar as a partner.

I prefer keeping Bug-type moves and Bug-types separate.

Scarf is fine in Other Options. It's viable, but its main sets are much better and more consistent. If Scarf becomes better down the line, we can add it later.

QC 1/3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Audino in C&C

Do bulky Ghosts even beat Malamar? They prevent it from boosting but I can't think of any that actually win against it

Add a section in C&C for strong special attackers. Typh and Magmortar can pressure and weaken it to the point where it can't sweep

Looks good otherwise, QC 2/3 go ahead and write it

Btw what uses Skill Swap o.o Not being sarcastic I actually want to know

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Mega Audino in C&C

Do bulky Ghosts even beat Malamar? They prevent it from boosting but I can't think of any that actually win against it

Add a section in C&C for strong special attackers. Typh and Magmortar can pressure and weaken it to the point where it can't sweep

Looks good otherwise, QC 2/3 go ahead and write it

Gourgiest can seed it and widdle it down. I mean, it stops malamar from doing anything, but I guess it really cant do much back. Worth keeping?

will add mega Audino.

afaik, Skill Swap m-audino is what queen was using, as you can steal abilities with it as well. really niche but maybe worthy of a mention in the **mega audino** section.

Will write this up later today / tomorrow as I have both days off.

Punchshroom

Yeah the only one that stands a good chance at taking on Malamar is SuperGeist due to Leech Seed and Synthesis; the other bulky Ghosts don't stand up well to Mar if they mistime their Pain Splits (especially since Mar is faster). Gourgeist-Super probably deserves its own mention instead of 'bulky Ghosts' in C&C.

Eh, Uxie may use it as a way to bypass Xatu, but really not much else I can think of :[

Also why is only Skill Swap in C&C and not Worry Seed?

Last edited:
can we actually not have an entire section dedicated to Skill Swap and/or Worry Seed?

if we do we need Simple Beam Linoone to get its own section PLZ.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
can we actually not have an entire section dedicated to Skill Swap and/or Worry Seed?

if we do we need Simple Beam Linoone to get its own section PLZ.
I was just going to give a quick mention to Skill swap at the end of **Mega-Audino**, but if you think its better left out entirely, lmk.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Without Haze or Curse, Quagsire actually has a lot of trouble dealing with Malamar, as Earthquake and Scald do very little damage, Malamar can Rest off any Toxic status, and then simply PP stall any Quagsire by not selecting Sleep Talk while asleep.
quagsire doesnt need haze lol unaware also ignores the defense boosts rofl (tldr haze is Ass). you are right that quagsire would need curse to beat resttalk 1v1, but if you aren't running curse encore (which is good on quagsire, by the way) can let quagsire encore malamar into any move and force it out with a teammate safely! if malamar isnt resttalk, quagsire beats malamar 1v1 all the time with only eq or scald :)

remove bulky ghosts from c&c, they do not really beat malamar lol

3/3

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
quagsire doesnt need haze lol unaware also ignores the defense boosts rofl (tldr haze is Ass). you are right that quagsire would need curse to beat resttalk 1v1, but if you aren't running curse encore (which is good on quagsire, by the way) can let quagsire encore malamar into any move and force it out with a teammate safely! if malamar isnt resttalk, quagsire beats malamar 1v1 all the time with only eq or scald :)

remove bulky ghosts from c&c, they do not really beat malamar lol

3/3
removing haze, adding encore. still leaving in the part about eq doing nothing cause quag is weak as piss :pirate:
punch told me to add super-pumpkin. removing :]

ty fren for tha checks.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Amateur check!
Add Remove (Comments)
Overview
########

Malamar greatly benefited greatly from the release of ORAS. Not only did it get receive access to the super useful STAB move Knock Off, but NU's most popular Fairy-type, Slurpuff, also left the tier, letting Malamar have free reign with it'(remove apostrophe)s Fighting- and Dark-type attacks. With access with to the amazing ability,(AC) Contrary, and as well as access to Superpower to abuse it, Malamar can quickly gather boosts while attacking, making it a real pain after just a few turns. It Malamar has very impressive bulk when fully invested, allowing granting it easy set-(remove hyphen)up opportunities versus many slower walls.; It it also has fantastic coverage options which aid it greatly once it has set-(remove hyphen)up. However, all is not perfect for Malamar. Its lackluster typing leaves it with no resistances and a 4x weakness to Bug, which can easily be taken advantage of easily. Its rather low speed Speed stat also makes it difficult to sweep, as it will often be taking hits before attacking. Also On top of that, its main spam most spammable move, Superpower, and its only boosting move only has 8 (add space)PP, and which can be taken advantage of with Protect,(RC) and Pressure. Despite these flaws, Malamar has still made a name for itself in the NU metagame and can be quite troublesome when given the opportunity. (fluff)

RestTalk
########
evs: 252 HP / 244 SDef SpD / 12 Spe

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar a 120 Base Power Fighting-type attack, and is Malamar's its best way of abusing Contrary, as it makes it both Malamar bulkier and stronger at the same time, while also providing a 120 BP fighting move. Knock Off gives Malamar is a strong STAB move to use once it's Malamar has boosted, and is very helpful early game for removing the items of Malamar's switch-(add hyphen)ins, making them easier to wear down throughout the rest of the game. Rest gives Malamar a way to recover it's restores Malamar's health, and allows it to take advantage of the bulk it gains with from Superpower.; It it also prevents cures status aliments, specifically Toxic poison and Burn burn, preventing them from crippling Malamar. With access to Rest, any bulkier team that cannot 3HKO Malamar risks getting set up on by it. Sleep Talk prevents Malamar from being becoming a sitting duck for the turns that it is it's asleep., and it It also allows Malamar to continue boosting while it's asleep without using up Superpower's rather low PP, which can helps alleviate the pressure it faces vs against bulkier teams.

Set Details
======

This is by By far, this is Malamar's best,(RC) and most consistent set. By maxing out it's special bulk Special Defense, combined with Superpower boosts and Rest, it's Malamar is incredibly difficult to kill KO, especially for slower teams who don't hit as hard right off the bat. The 12 Speed EVs allow it Malamar to outspeed all walls up to and including 0 Speed Seismitoad and below, which is rather common. Also, as being able to rest up on use Rest against Seismitoad before it has a chance to attacks you can be crucial in the late-(add hyphen)game.

Usage Tips
========

It is best to bring in Malamar on things you it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will likely be scared switched out, and you Malamar will get a boost,(AC) regardless of the situation. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types, or just pokemon Pokemon that can't do much back after a +1 Defense boost, such as Rhydon lacking Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Generally,(AC) you should click using Knock Off early in the game if they have the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Migmagius or Gourgiest is useful, as it they will be easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match, aiding Malamar's sweeping potential later on. Don't try to set-(remove hyphen)up more than what is necessary if the opponent still has a Bug-type or a pokemon Pokemon such as Megahorn Samurott,(RC) or Megahorn Rhydon with Megahorn, as they will force you Malamar out,(AC) regardless of how many boosts it has. If you can Try predicting a Defog from something harmless,(AC) such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, as switching in Malamar will grant it an free Evasion evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========

Steel-(add hyphen)types such as Mega Steelix, Probopass, or and Klingklang are helpful as they can switch-in to the Bug-type attacks that Malamar attracts like fly(remove space)paper. A Mantine lure such as Rock Slide / Ancient Power or Rock Slide Mega-(remove hyphen)Cameupt, or a Thunder Punch Fighting-type with Thunder Punch is also very useful on Malamar teams, as Mantine often carries Haze,(AC) which, though Malamar does beat, makes life very difficult. Also, pairing Pairing up Malamar up with pokemon Pokemon that also spam Fighting-type attacks,(AC) such as Sawk, Hariyama, or Kecleon can be useful, as they each wear down the opponent's switch-in for Malamar throughout the game.

3 Attack Three Attacks
########
name: 3 Attack Three Attacks

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar with a 120 Base Power Fighting-type move, which is Malamar's its best way of abusing Contrary, as it makes it Malamar both bulkier and stronger at the same time, while also providing a 120 BP fighting move. Knock Off gives Malamar is a strong STAB move to use once it's Malamar is boosted, removes items, and hits almost everything that resists Superpower neutrally. Psycho Cut gives Malamar an easy way of getting around Poison-types that normally would otherwise give it trouble, including Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbordor-(remove spaces and hyphen, add em dash)all of which are cleanly 2HKOed after a Superpower boost. The last slot is up to the user you. Substitute is recommended as it also allows Malamar to avoid status such as burn, pseudo-status such as Leech Seed and Confusion, as well as giving it a barrier to hide behind, which lets it get off an attack vs versus opponents it normally would have to switch-out immediately from. RestoChesto is also an option, as it prevents Malamar from being whittled down by slower teams and by entry hazards, however, it only gets one real chance at resting using it without worry.

Set Details
======

With substitute being the main move for slot 4, the The given EV Spread spread allows Malamar's Substitutes to survive weak moves from the likes of Weezing, Vileplume lacking Moonblast, Seismitoad, Mantine, Poliwrath, and Ferroseed. Without the given bulk, Substitute would be rather useless on Malamar as even after a few Boosts it would still be broken rather easily. However, if Rest is chosen over Substitute, a simple spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe spread with an Adamant nature is the most effective spread, as Malamar no longer needs to worry about having its Substitutes survive weak attacks, and max Speed allows it to outspeed the common Calm Mind Xatu spread, as well as 252 max Speed Base base 70s Pokemon. Leftovers is are to be used with Substitute to drastically increase longevity, as Life Orb combined with Substitute wears down pokemon Pokemon very quickly, and makes it much harder for Malamar to make use of the Defense boosts from Superpower.

Usage Tips
========

Bring in Malamar on things you it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will generally be scared switched out, and you Malamar will get receive a boost regardless. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types; or just pokemon Pokemon that can't do much back after a +1 boost,(AC) such as Rhydon lacking Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Click Use Knock Off against pokemon Pokemon that resist Superpower and rely on their item, or if you're trying to preserve Superpower's low PP. If they have your opponent has a pokemon Pokemon such as Scyther or one that can easily come in and revenge kill you Malamar, make sure you have Malamar has a Substitute up when the opponent's active pokemon Pokemon faints. If you can predict Predict a Defog from something harmless such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, as switching in Malamar will grant it a free Evasion evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========
(Add line break)
Mega Steelix makes for a fantastic partner for Malamar, beating up on almost everything that Malamar struggles with. For example, Togetic, Scyther, and Vespiquen all handily beat Malamar, but all lose just as easily to Mega Steelix. Some other Other problematic pokemon Pokemon for Offensive Malamar include Mantine, Granbull, and Bug-type coverage moves on offensive pokemon Pokemon. These troublesome pokemon Pokemon can be taken care of with Magmortar or other fire types Fire-types with HP Hidden Power Electric, and having a Substitute up can help Malamar avoid being revenged by Bug-type pokemon Pokemon and moves.

Other Options
########

A Choice Scarf set is potentially usable, though completely outclassed by its other sets. Scarf It does have the ability to utilize its nifty supportive movepool consisting of Switcheroo, Destiny Bond, and Topsy-(add hyphen)Turvy, though. Rock Slide can be used to nail potential counters such as Togetic, Scyther, and Mantine on the switch. A defensive set with Infiltrator,(AC) Toxic,(AC) and Topsy-(add hyphen)Turvy can be really effective when played correctly, but generally you're Malamar is better off using a Contrary set. Topsy-(add hyphen)Turvy is,(AC) sadly,(AC) very difficult to fit on any Contrary moveset-(remove spaces and hyphen, add em dash)offensive,(RC) or defensive. Calm Mind plus Rest(remove space)Talk is a fun set to try, but is nothing more than a gimmick when compared to the consistency of the main set.

Checks and & Counters
########
(Add line break, add colons after the last asterisk, remove line breaks in Checks & Counters)
**Togetic**: Togetic can easily switch-in on a Superpower, and has a decent chance to 3HKO Malamar with Dazzling Gleam. Togetic should be cautious of Knock Off, however, as that it will weaken its ability to support against other members of the opponent's team, but Malamar itself is never breaking though a Togetic.

**Bug-type Pokemon**: Bug-type pokemon Pokemon, specifically Bulky Swords Dance or Choice Banded Scyther, can easily switch into Malamar, only fearing the nearly non-existent Rock Slide, then immediately threaten it out with a STAB U-turn. Other Bug-types such as Vespiquen or Dustox also work, but are ridiculously outclassed by Scyther.

**Bug-type coverage moves Coverage Moves**: Pokemon in NU are commonly carrying Bug-type coverage moves now to deal with Malamar. Rhydon, and Samurott with Megahorn, and Mesprit, Uxie, and Xatu with Signal Beam are some examples of this.

**Mega Audino**: Mega Audino is a more defensively-orientated approach at dealing with Malamar, and is commonly seen on stall. It obviously has troubles switching in as a regular Audino, as it will still a pure Normal-type. However,(AC) once mega'd Mega Evolved, Dazzling Gleam has a chance to 3HKO, and Malamar has trouble doing anything in return without a few boosts. Additionally, Mega-(remove hyphen)Audino can make use of Skill Swap in the last slot to fully cripple Malamar and force it out.

**Unaware Quagsire**: Unaware Quagsire can easily switch-(add hyphen)in on anything Malamar wants to do, then proceed to either Encore it into one move, or set-(remove hyphen)up on it with Curse. Without Encore or Curse, however, Quagsire actually has a lot of trouble dealing with Malamar, as Earthquake and Scald do very little damage, and Malamar can Rest off any Toxic status, and then proceed to simply PP stall any Quagsire it by not selecting Sleep Talk while asleep.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is SM979's amcheck +winry in pink
Overview
########

Malamar greatly benefited greatly from the release of ORAS. Not only did it get receive access to the super useful STAB move Knock Off, but NU's most popular Fairy-type, Slurpuff, also left the tier, letting Malamar have free reign with it'(remove apostrophe)s Fighting- and Dark-type attacks. With access with to the amazing ability,(AC) Contrary, and as well as access to Superpower to abuse it, Malamar can quickly gather boosts while attacking, making it a real pain after just a few turns. It Malamar has very impressive bulk when fully invested, allowing granting it easy set-(remove hyphen)up opportunities versus many slower walls.; It it also has fantastic coverage options which aid it greatly once it has set-(remove hyphen)up. However, all is not perfect for Malamar. Its lackluster typing leaves it with no resistances and a 4x weakness to Bug, which can easily be taken advantage of easily. Its rather low speed Speed stat also makes it difficult to sweep, as it Malamar will often be taking hits before attacking. Also On top of that, its main spam most spammable move, Superpower, and its only boosting move only has 8 (add space)PP, and which can be taken advantage of with Protect,(RC) and Pressure. Despite these flaws, Malamar has still made a name for itself in the NU metagame and can be quite troublesome when given the opportunity. (fluff)

RestTalk
########
evs: 252 HP / 244 SDef SpD / 12 Spe

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar a 120 Base Power Fighting-type attack, and is Malamar's its (keep Malamar's because the "it" in the second part of sentence refers to Superpower) best way of abusing Contrary, as it makes it both Malamar bulkier and stronger at the same time, while also providing a 120 BP fighting move. Knock Off gives Malamar is a strong STAB move to use once it's Malamar has boosted, and it is very helpful early-game for removing the items of Malamar's switch-(add hyphen)ins, making them easier to wear down throughout the rest of the game. Rest gives Malamar a way to recover it's restores Malamar's health, (RC) and allows it to take advantage of the bulk it gains with from Superpower.; It it (instead of "it" say Rest) also prevents cures status aliments, specifically Toxic poison and Burn burn, preventing them from crippling Malamar. With access to Rest, any bulkier team that cannot 3HKO Malamar risks getting set up on by it. Sleep Talk prevents Malamar from being becoming a sitting duck for the turns that it is it's asleep., and it It also allows Malamar to continue boosting while it's asleep without using up Superpower's rather low PP, which can helps alleviate the pressure it faces vs against bulkier teams.

Set Details
======

This is by By far, this is Malamar's best,(RC) and most consistent set. By maxing out it's special bulk Special Defense, combined with Superpower boosts and Rest, it's Malamar is incredibly difficult to kill KO, especially for slower teams that who don't hit as hard right off the bat. The 12 Speed EVs allow it Malamar to outspeed all walls up to and including 0 Speed Seismitoad and below (instead of below say "slower walls"), which is rather common. Also, as being able to rest up on use Rest against Seismitoad before it has a chance to attacks you can be crucial in the late-(add hyphen)game.

Usage Tips
========

It is best to bring in Malamar on things Pokemon you it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will likely be scared switched out, and you Malamar will get a boost,(AC) regardless of the situation. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types, or just pokemon Pokemon that can't do much back after a +1 Defense boost, such as Rhydon that lacking Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Generally,(AC) you should click using Knock Off early in the game if they have the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Migmagius or Gourgiest is useful, as it they will be easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match, aiding Malamar's sweeping potential later on. Don't try to set-(remove hyphen)up more than what is necessary if the opponent still has a Bug-type or a pokemon Pokemon such as Megahorn Samurott,(RC) or Megahorn Rhydon with Megahorn, as they will force you Malamar out,(AC) regardless of how many boosts it has. If you can Try predicting a Defog from something harmless,(AC) such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, as switching in Malamar will grant it an free Evasion evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========

Steel-(add hyphen)types such as Mega Steelix, Probopass, or and Klingklang are helpful, (AC) as they can switch-in to the Bug-type attacks that Malamar attracts like flypaper. A Mantine lure such as Rock Slide / Ancient Power or Rock Slide Mega-(remove hyphen)Cameupt, or a Thunder Punch Fighting-type with Thunder Punch is also very useful on Malamar teams, as Mantine often carries Haze,(AC) which, though Malamar does beat, makes life very difficult. Also, pairing Pairing up Malamar up with pokemon Pokemon that also spam Fighting-type attacks,(AC) such as Sawk, Hariyama, or Kecleon, (AC) can be useful, as they each wear down the opponent's switch-in for Malamar throughout the game.

3 Attack Three Attacks
########
name: 3 Attack Three Attacks

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar with a 120 Base Power Fighting-type move, which is Malamar's its best way of abusing Contrary, as it Superpower makes it Malamar both bulkier and stronger at the same time, while also providing a 120 BP fighting move. Knock Off gives Malamar is a strong STAB move to use once it's Malamar is boosted, as it removes items, (RC) and hits almost everything that resists Superpower for neutrally damage. Psycho Cut gives Malamar an easy way of getting around Poison-types that normally would otherwise give it trouble, including Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbordor-(remove spaces and hyphen, add em dash)all of which are cleanly 2HKOed after a Superpower boost. The last slot is up to the user you. Substitute is recommended, (AC) as it also allows Malamar to avoid status such as burn, pseudo-status such as Leech Seed and Confusion, as well as giving it a barrier to hide behind, which lets it get off an attack vs versus opponents foes it normally would have to switch-out immediately from. RestoChesto and a Chesto Berry is also an option, as it prevents Malamar from being whittled down by slower teams and by entry hazards; (comma -> semi) however, it only gets one real chance at resting using it without worry.

Set Details
======

With substitute being the main move for slot 4, the The given EV Spread spread allows Malamar's Substitutes to survive weak moves from the likes of Weezing, Vileplume that lacking Moonblast, Seismitoad, Mantine, Poliwrath, and Ferroseed. Without the given bulk, Substitute would be rather useless on Malamar as even after a few Boosts it would still be broken rather easily. However, if Rest is chosen over Substitute, a simple spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe spread with an Adamant nature is the most effective spread, as Malamar no longer needs to worry about having its Substitutes survive weak attacks, and maximum Speed investment allows it to outspeed the common Calm Mind Xatu spread, as well as 252 maximum Speed Base base 70s Speed Pokemon. Leftovers is are (keep is) to be used with Substitute to drastically increase longevity, as Life Orb combined with Substitute wears down pokemon Pokemon very quickly, (RC) and makes it much harder for Malamar to make use of the Defense boosts from Superpower.

Usage Tips
========

Bring in Malamar on things Pokemon that you it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will generally be scared switched out, and you Malamar will get receive a boost regardless. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types; or just pokemon Pokemon that can't do much damage back after a +1 boost,(AC) such as Rhydon that lacking Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Click Use Knock Off against pokemon Pokemon that resist Superpower and rely on their item, or if you're trying to preserve Superpower's low PP. If they have your opponent has a pokemon Pokemon such as Scyther or one that can easily come in and revenge kill you Malamar, make sure you have Malamar has a Substitute up when the opponent's active pokemon Pokemon faints. If you can predict Predict a Defog from something harmless such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, as switching in Malamar will grant it a free Evasion evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========
(Add line break)
Mega Steelix makes for a fantastic partner for Malamar, beating up on almost everything that Malamar struggles with. For example, Togetic, Scyther, and Vespiquen all handily beat Malamar, but all lose just as easily to Mega Steelix. Some other Other problematic pokemon Pokemon for Offensive Malamar include Mantine, Granbull, and Bug-type coverage moves on offensive pokemon Pokemon. These troublesome pokemon Pokemon can be taken care of with Magmortar or other fire types Fire-types with HP Hidden Power Electric, and having a Substitute up can help Malamar avoid being revenged killed by Bug-type pokemon Pokemon and moves.

Other Options
########

A Choice Scarf set is potentially usable, though it is completely outclassed by its Malamar's other sets. Scarf It does have the ability to utilize its nifty supportive movepool consisting of Switcheroo, Destiny Bond, and Topsy-(add hyphen)Turvy, though. Rock Slide can be used to nail potential counters such as Togetic, Scyther, and Mantine on the switch. A defensive set with Infiltrator,(AC) Toxic,(AC) and Topsy-(add hyphen)Turvy can be really effective when played correctly, but generally you're Malamar is better off using a Contrary set. Topsy-(add hyphen)Turvy is,(AC) sadly,(AC) very difficult to fit on any Contrary moveset-(remove spaces and hyphen, add em dash)offensive,(RC) or defensive. Calm Mind plus Rest(remove space)Talk is a fun set to try, but is nothing more than a gimmick when compared to the consistency of the main set.

Checks and & Counters
########
(Add line break, add colons after the last asterisk, remove line breaks in Checks & Counters)
**Togetic**: Togetic can easily switch in on a Superpower, (RC) and has a decent chance to 3HKO Malamar with Dazzling Gleam. Togetic should be cautious of Knock Off, however, as that it will weaken its Togetic's ability to support against other members of the opponent's team, but Malamar itself is never breaking though a Togetic.

**Bug-type Pokemon**: Bug-type pokemon Pokemon, specifically Bulky Swords Dance or Choice Banded Scyther, can easily switch into Malamar, only fearing the nearly non-existent Rock Slide, then immediately threaten it out with a STAB U-turn. Other Bug-types such as Vespiquen or Dustox also work, but are ridiculously outclassed by Scyther.

**Bug-type coverage moves Coverage Moves**: Pokemon in NU are commonly carrying Bug-type coverage moves now to deal with Malamar. Rhydon, and Samurott with Megahorn, and Mesprit, Uxie, and Xatu with Signal Beam are some examples of this.

**Mega Audino**: Mega Audino is a more defensively-orientated approach at dealing with Malamar, (RC) and is commonly seen on stall. It obviously has troubles switching in before it has Mega Evolved as a regular Audino, as it will still a pure Normal-type. However,(AC) once mega'd it has Mega Evolved, Dazzling Gleam has a chance to 3HKO, and Malamar has trouble doing anything in return without a few boosts. Additionally, Mega-(remove hyphen)Audino can make use of Skill Swap in the last slot to fully cripple Malamar and force it out.

**Unaware Quagsire**: Unaware Quagsire can easily switch-(add hyphen)in (don't add hyphen, "switch-in" is only hyphenated when it is referring to a Pokemon that often switches in on a different Pokemon, not when it is referring to the action of switching in) on anything Malamar wants to do, then proceed to either Encore it into one move, (RC) or set-(remove hyphen)up on it with Curse. Without Encore or Curse, however, Quagsire actually has a lot of trouble dealing with Malamar, as Earthquake and Scald do very little damage, and Malamar can Rest off any Toxic status, and then proceed to simply PP stall any Quagsire it by not selecting Sleep Talk while asleep.

1/2

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Sure doesnt seem like you implemented the check?
edit:

Well sowwy but next time wait on the title first -.-

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Sure doesnt seem like you implemented the check?
just finished it, literally less than a minute ago

I'll also take this post to apologize for all the simple mistakes I made throughout it, god that was painful to look back at ://

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
CanadianWifier

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Malamar greatly benefited from the release of ORAS. Not only did it receive access to Knock Off, but NU's most popular Fairy-type, Slurpuff, left the tier, letting Malamar have free reign with its Fighting- and Dark-type attacks. With access with to the amazing ability, Contrary, as well as access to Superpower to abuse it, Malamar can quickly gather boosts while attacking, making it a real pain after just a few turns. Malamar has impressive bulk when fully invested, granting it easy setup opportunities versus slower walls; it also has fantastic coverage options which aid it greatly once it has set up. However, all is not perfect for Malamar. Its Malimar's lackluster typing leaves it with no resistances and a 4x weakness to Bug, which can easily be taken advantage of. Its rather low Speed stat makes it difficult to sweep, as Malamar will often be taking hits before attacking. On top of that, its most spammable move, Superpower, only has 8 PP, which can be taken advantage of with Protect and Pressure.

RestTalk
########
evs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar with a 120 Base Power Fighting-type attack, and is Malamar's best way of abusing Contrary, as it makes Malamar bulkier and stronger. Knock Off is a strong STAB move once Malamar has boosted, and it is very helpful early-game for removing the items of Malamar's switch-ins, making them easier to wear down throughout the rest of the game. Rest restores Malamar's health and allows it to take advantage of the bulk it gains from Superpower. Rest also cures status aliments, specifically poison and burn, preventing them from crippling Malamar. Sleep Talk prevents Malamar from becoming a sitting duck for the turns that it is asleep, and it also allows Malamar to continue boosting without using up Superpower's rather low PP, which helps alleviate the pressure it faces against bulkier teams.

Set Details
======

By far, this is Malamar's best and most consistent set. By maxing out Special Defence, combined with Superpower boosts and Rest, Malamar is incredibly difficult to KO, especially for slower teams that don't hit as hard. 12 Speed EVs allow Malamar to outspeed 0 Speed Seismitoad and slower walls, as being able to use Rest against Seismitoad before it attacks can be crucial late-game.

Usage Tips
========

It is best to bring in Malamar on Pokemon it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will likely be switched out, and Malamar will get a boost, regardless of the situation. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types, or Pokemon that can't do much after a +1 Defense boost, such as Rhydon that lack Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Generally, using Knock Off early in the game if the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Migmagius or Gourgiest is useful, as it said Pokemon will be easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match, aiding Malamar's sweeping potential later on. Don't try to set up more than what is necessary if the opponent still has a Bug-type or a Pokemon such as Samurott or Rhydon with Megahorn, as they will force Malamar out regardless of how many boosts it has. Try predicting a Defog from something harmless, such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, as when switching in Malamar will to grant it an Evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========

Steel-types such as Steelix, Probopass, and Klingklang are helpful teammates, as they can switch into the Bug-type attacks that Malamar attracts like fly paper. A Mantine lure such as Ancient Power or Rock Slide Mega Cameupt, (RC) or a Fighting-type with Thunder Punch is also very useful, as Mantine often carries Haze, which will remove Malamar's boosts, though Malamar does beat, makes life very difficult. Pairing up Malamar up with Pokemon that also spam Fighting-type attacks, such as Sawk, Hariyama, or Kecleon, can be useful, as they each wear down the opponent's switch-ins for Malamar throughout the game.

Three Attacks
########
name: Three Attacks

Moves
========

Superpower provides Malamar with a 120 Base Power Fighting-type move, which is its best way of abusing Contrary, as Superpower makes Malamar bulkier and stronger at the same time. Knock Off is a strong STAB move once Malamar is boosted, as it removes items and hits almost everything that resists Superpower for neutral damage. Psycho Cut gives Malamar an easy way of getting around Poison-types that would otherwise give it trouble, including Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbordorall of which are cleanly 2HKOed after a Superpower boost. The last slot is up to you. Substitute is recommended, as it also allows Malamar to avoid status such as burn, pseudo-status such as Leech Seed and confusion, as well as giving it Malamar a barrier to hide behind, which lets it Malamar get off an attack versus foes it normally would have to switch out immediately from. Rest and a Chesto Berry is also an option, as it prevents Malamar from being whittled down by slower teams and entry hazards; however, it Malamar only gets one chance at using Rest without worry.

Set Details
======

The given EV spread allows Malamar's Substitutes to survive weak moves from the likes of Weezing, Vileplume that lack Moonblast, Seismitoad, Mantine, Poliwrath, and Ferroseed. However, if Rest is chosen over Substitute, a simple spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with an Adamant nature is the most effective, as Malamar no longer needs to worry about having its Substitutes survive weak attacks, and maximum Speed investment allows it to outspeed the common Calm Mind Xatu set, as well as maximum base 70 Speed Pokemon. Leftovers is used with Substitute to increase longevity, as Life Orb combined with Substitute wears down Pokemon very quickly and makes it much harder for Malamar to make use of the Defense boosts from Superpower.

Usage Tips
========

It is best to bring in Malamar on Pokemon it can threaten out with Superpower, as they will likely be switched out, and Malamar will get a boost, regardless of the situation. Typical targets include weakened Normal-, Ice-, or Dark-types, or Pokemon that can't do much after a +1 Defense boost, such as Rhydon that lack Megahorn, Lanturn, Gurdurr, or Lilligant. Generally, using Knock Off early in the game if the opponent has a Ghost-type such as Migmagius or Gourgiest is useful, as it said Pokemon will be easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match, aiding Malamar's sweeping potential later on. Don't try to set up more than what is necessary if the opponent still has a Bug-type or a Pokemon such as Samurott or Rhydon with Megahorn, as they will force Malamar out regardless of how many boosts it has. Try predicting a Defog from something harmless, such as Mantine, Prinplup, or Lumineon, as when switching in Malamar will to grant it an Evasion boost, making it even harder to deal with.

Team Options
========

Steelix makes for a fantastic partner for Malamar, beating up on almost everything that Malamar struggles with. For example, Togetic, Scyther, and Vespiquen all beat Malamar, but all lose just as easily to Steelix. Other problematic Pokemon for offensive Malamar include Mantine, Granbull, and Bug-type coverage moves on offensive Pokemon. These troublesome Pokemon can be taken care of with Magmortar or other Fire-types with Hidden Power Electric, and having a Substitute up can help Malamar avoid being revenge killed by Bug-type Pokemon and moves.

Other Options
########

A Choice Scarf set is usable, though it is completely outclassed by Malamar's other sets. It does have the ability to utilize its Malamr's nifty supportive movepool consisting of Switcheroo, Destiny Bond, and Topsy-Turvy, though. Rock Slide can be used to nail counters such as Togetic, Scyther, and Mantine on the switch. A defensive set with Infiltrator, Toxic, and Topsy-Turvy can be effective when played correctly, but generally Malamar is better off using a Contrary set. Topsy-Turvy is, sadly, very difficult to fit on any Contrary movesetoffensive or defensive. Calm Mind plus RestTalk is a fun set to try, but is nothing more than a gimmick when compared to the consistency of the main set.

Checks & Counters
########

**Togetic**: Togetic can easily switch in on a Superpower and has a decent chance to 3HKO Malamar with Dazzling Gleam. Togetic should be cautious of Knock Off, however, as it will weaken Togetic's ability to support other members of the team, but Malamar itself is never breaking though Togetic.

**Bug-type Pokemon**: Bug-type Pokemon, specifically Bulky Swords Dance or Choice Band Scyther, can easily switch into Malamar, only fearing the nearly non-existent Rock Slide, then immediately threaten it out with a STAB U-turn.

**Bug-type Coverage Moves**: Pokemon in NU are commonly carrying Bug-type coverage moves to deal with Malamar. Rhydon, Samurott, Mesprit, Uxie, and Xatu are some examples of this.

**Mega Audino**: Mega Audino is a more defensively orientated approach at dealing with Malamar, and is commonly seen on stall. It obviously has trouble switching in before it has Mega Evolved, as it will still a pure Normal-type. However, once it has Mega Evolved, Dazzling Gleam has a chance to 3HKO, and Malamar has trouble doing anything in return without a few boosts. Additionally, Mega Audino can make use of Skill Swap in the last slot to fully cripple Malamar and force it out.

**Unaware Quagsire**: Unaware Quagsire can easily switch in on anything Malamar wants to do, then proceed to either Encore it into one move or set up on it with Curse. Without Encore or Curse, however, Quagsire actually has a lot of trouble dealing with Malamar, as Earthquake and Scald do very little damage, (RC) and Malamar can Rest off any status, then proceed to simply PP stall by not selecting Sleep Talk while asleep.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)