Anti- vaxxers, what are they?

I am not so sure about this. For example, consider the influenza "vaccine" this year that did nothing but get people sick. It doesn't prevent the flu because they put the wrong chemicals in it. If they can't be trusted with the flu how can you expect them to get it right for other diseases?

I am not so sure about this. For example, consider the influenza "vaccine" this year that did nothing but get people sick. It doesn't prevent the flu because they put the wrong chemicals in it. If they can't be trusted with the flu how can you expect them to get it right for other diseases?
Just because they mess up on occasion doesn't mean they can't be trusted, it's not like they're throwing random chemicals in a vat and injecting you with them. Car manufacturers send out vehicles with defects every once in a while, but that doesn't mean you never go near a car again because they messed up once. The vast majority of the time, vaccines work, and you definitely shouldn't let the 0.01% of the times they don't work scare you away.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I actually never heard that one before lol, do ppl actually say these things?

Anyway i wanted to put the penn and teller video but Adamant Zoroark beat me to it.

Edit @ above: p sure hes being sarcastic.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm pretty sure each year's flu vaccine is based on the past year's flu and what they predict will be present the coming year, but they actually don't know for sure what they are going up against every time.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure whistle was joking... but just in case you actually think what happened with the flu vaccine this year was a catastrophe:
This has quickly become one of my favorite youtube channels #publichealthnerd

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
It would be nice if you would stop casting such sweeping generalizations about society. Sure, some people on welfare are lazy. Sure, some people who are rich have worked hard for it. There are also many people on welfare who are not lazy and just unfortunate, and there are plenty of stupid and lazy rich people. I deal with the latter of these two on a daily basis at my job.
No, you are missing my point.
At no point did I suggest welfare people are lazy, and in no point I suggest rich people are intelligent and work hard.

I am saying that-- in a fair and just country, people who are lazy and stupid won't be able to become rich.
An ideal society should make everyone earn their own money, and totally eliminate luck. (That means taxing over 60% of dead people's money so that they can't pass it on to some spoiled children)
And that Singapore is the country that's nearest to perfection.
(And that I'm appalled to see all the other countries are so far towards perfection with people this stupid being allowed to be rich.)

I saw that survey, it really is tragic that such a high percentage of people thought DNA was some type of toxic chemical. It becomes scary when you realize that these are people who vote on which bills to pass, what organizations to fund, etc. I mean I understand not everyone is interested in science, but you would think people would at least want to have some basic knowledge of scientific information. Widespread ignorance is why we are seeing preventable diseases like Measles reemerge. People have become spoiled in a way. The majority of people in America haven't seen horrific diseases such as Polio, so they take vaccines for granted. Then some idiot comes around claiming that vaccines cause autism and people are ready to listen and believe. This will probably get worse before it gets better. All it will take is one major measles outbreak and people will be rushing to the doctors and pharmacies to get their shot.
Can I ask what was on syllabus for elementary school science class?
I just can't figure out how this is possible.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the vaccination itself, it is the use of Thiomersal that was once used as a perservative in routine childhood vaccinations, and this was the cause of autism in many children (including me, apparently. I just got lucky, and didn't get the bigger edge of the stick. Yes, you heard me right, I have been diagnosed with a form of autism) and allergic reactions.
Thiomersal was used by pharmaceutical companies to save money, so the vaccines didn't have to be refrigerated, but they have nasty side effects as a result. So chances has it, if the vaccine wasn't refrigerated before use, it probably isn't safe to take.

All of this is causing distrust in vaccinations, and it doesn't help matters that the Thiomersal issue hasn't been brought up, and thus most people don't even know the cause of these problems, and it is unlikely that there will be any measures taken to make sure that the companies that supply these vaccinations don't take any cost-cutting short cuts if vaccinations are forced in public schools. In short, it seems that many people don't know who to trust.

In short, anti-vaxxers are people who don't vaccinate themselves or their kids because they are scared of getting autism or some other nasty side effect, or people who believe in conspiracy theorist, who I've heard are convinced or otherwise scared that one day, a vaccination will give you cancer, otherwise make you sick and die, or have a tracking device for Big Brother to keep your whereabouts.

In very short words, they are very, very scared people, who just don't trust vaccinations, or that they even work.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the vaccination itself, it is the use of Thiomersal that was once used as a perservative in routine childhood vaccinations, and this was the cause of autism in many children (including me, apparently. I just got lucky, and didn't get the bigger edge of the stick. Yes, you heard me right, I have been diagnosed with a form of autism)
Companies used thiomersal to package vaccines in bulk to save on shipping costs (it allows one container to be used more than once hygienically which cuts down on weight/space). When they stopped using it, they had to start packaging vaccine doses individually.

This hasn't been a huge problem for people in developed countries, but the cost to ship these individually packaged doses to developing nations has made the cost of a vaccine prohibitive to those places where vaccines are needed the most, where vaccine preventable sicknesses are still a massive problem.

Vaccine companies stopped using thiomersal to appease anti-vaxers. There is no scientific evidence that thiomersal causes autism and the scientific consensus is that thiomersal is safe to use in vaccines.

Cresselia~~

The problem isn't the vaccination itself, it is the use of Thiomersal that was once used as a perservative in routine childhood vaccinations, and this was the cause of autism in many children (including me, apparently. I just got lucky, and didn't get the bigger edge of the stick. Yes, you heard me right, I have been diagnosed with a form of autism) and allergic reactions.
Thiomersal was used by pharmaceutical companies to save money, so the vaccines didn't have to be refrigerated, but they have nasty side effects as a result. So chances has it, if the vaccine wasn't refrigerated before use, it probably isn't safe to take.

All of this is causing distrust in vaccinations, and it doesn't help matters that the Thiomersal issue hasn't been brought up, and thus most people don't even know the cause of these problems, and it is unlikely that there will be any measures taken to make sure that the companies that supply these vaccinations don't take any cost-cutting short cuts if vaccinations are forced in public schools. In short, it seems that many people don't know who to trust.

In short, anti-vaxxers are people who don't vaccinate themselves or their kids because they are scared of getting autism or some other nasty side effect, or people who believe in conspiracy theorist, who I've heard are convinced or otherwise scared that one day, a vaccination will give you cancer, otherwise make you sick and die, or have a tracking device for Big Brother to keep your whereabouts.

In very short words, they are very, very scared people, who just don't trust vaccinations, or that they even work.
I don't think you can be sure about that. Maybe you are genetically autistic, as you probably don't know.
I keep seeing these "testimonies" about how they become autistic, or how their relatives become autistic, but in fact, some autistic symptoms develop later in life, or are discovered later in life.

But still, even if it's real, why would people rather die than have autism? Is autism that bad? Having autism actually benefits if you become a scientist.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Do yourself a big favor and stop self-hating. You didn't get lucky, there wasn't a bigger stick you could have gotten hit with, and autism is not a "nasty side-effect". Autism is a neurodiversity, and it helps none of us for our people to go around talking about how they are glad they are only sort of autistic. If you are autistic, you are fully autistic, you probably just have access to better intelligence and privilege than some of us. We need solidarity, not self-hatred.

There's absolutely no evidence that Thiomersal causes autism.

Do yourself a big favor and stop self-hating. You didn't get lucky, there wasn't a bigger stick you could have gotten hit with, and autism is not a "nasty side-effect". Autism is a neurodiversity, and it helps none of us for our people to go around talking about how they are glad they are only sort of autistic. If you are autistic, you are fully autistic, you probably just have access to better intelligence and privilege than some of us. We need solidarity, not self-hatred.

There's absolutely no evidence that Thiomersal causes autism.
And yet there are times that it doesn't pay to be socially introverted. As in, it must seem unusual for me not to engage in conversations in social gatherings, or at least that is my preference. Because of my autism, I don't have a drivers license yet (though that is also partially because neither me nor my parents were in any hurry for me to earn one. Now neither of my parents have time to help me practice driving), which has snowballed into me not having a job or more importantly, being able to drive to a college campus that is just too out of the way for either of my parents to drive me to and from on a daily basis, like I was able to do with another community college campus, which unfortunately doesn't have all of the classes that I need to earn the degree for the type of career that I want (which is concept artist BTW, if you're curious), nor am I able to attempt to pursue any type of romantic relationships, since I find the very idea of asking a girl out on a date without being able to drive her to be humiliating, since most men my age at least have a car (though I can also blame the economy for causing the very latter).

I have reasons to prefer that I was just normal, in other words. Sure I wouldn't exactly say that I hate myself, and I do appreciate your enthusiasm, but still, I do dislike my autism at the moment, since it has hardly been doing me any favors ATM.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
And yet there are times that it doesn't pay to be socially introverted.
I'm not socially introverted and I'm autistic. Besides nothing is wrong with being socially introverted, there are plenty of times when it pays to be.

As in, it must seem unusual for me not to engage in conversations in social gatherings, or at least that is my preference.
And that's anybody's problem because? Sounds like an other people problem, not yours. Do whatever you want. It's the nature of self-hate that others make you feel like you have problems.

Because of my autism, I don't have a drivers license yet (though that is also partially because neither me nor my parents were in any hurry for me to earn one. Now neither of my parents have time to help me practice driving)
Why exactly would autism prevent you from having a drivers license? It happens to be a result of my autism that I'm an excellent driver. That's just me, but you're not explaining the negative correlation here. You have given ample other reasons as to not having one, so why blame your autism?

which has snowballed into me not having a job or more importantly, being able to drive to a college campus that is just too out of the way for either of my parents to drive me to and from on a daily basis, like I was able to do with another community college campus, which unfortunately doesn't have all of the classes that I need to earn the degree for the type of career that I want (which is concept artist BTW, if you're curious)
Lots of people don't have cars, even those that are my age. Have you considered public transportation?

nor am I able to attempt to pursue any type of romantic relationships, since I find the very idea of asking a girl out on a date without being able to drive her to be humiliating, since most men my age at least have a car (though I can also blame the economy for causing the very latter).
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you don't need to be autistic to have a poor excuse not to be dating. And pride is an especially poor one. Besides which, no, lots of guys your age don't have cars and they still date in college. This is only going to get worse by shuffling your feet, if you want to ask a girl out just do it (and do it a bunch, if you're an artist you should be well acquainted with the positives of failure). Maybe you can find one with a car who can drive you around.

I have reasons to prefer that I was just normal, in other words. Sure I wouldn't exactly say that I hate myself, and I do appreciate your enthusiasm, but still, I do dislike my autism at the moment, since it has hardly been doing me any favors ATM.
Just from your post it sounds like you are using autism as an excuse for some poor life choices. Fortunately you are young and none of that really matters, but it hurts everyone else with autism when you go around acting like some cursed debby-downer. Conversely, I always tell people after a bit of chatting that I'm autistic, and people actually like me so I hope that does some small part to reduce the negative image that anti-vaxxers and self-haters cause. The vast majority of autistic people are perfectly good people but are closeted due to the negative image you help project. I don't doubt that circumstances might have made your life hard, hell if I felt that pity parties were games with winners I'd probably own almost anyone on smogon, but the typical case is that the prejudice of other people is the root cause of your problems. Every minority has experienced this feeling.

I'm not socially introverted and I'm autistic. Besides nothing is wrong with being socially introverted, there are plenty of times when it pays to be.

And that's anybody's problem because? Sounds like an other people problem, not yours. Do whatever you want. It's the nature of self-hate that others make you feel like you have problems.
Okay, I suppose I can agree with that

Yeah, I suppose I can agree with that. My dad is always telling me how I should socialize with other people when I'm at social gatherings. Still, it feels good when he tells me that he is proud of me when I do socialize more.

Why exactly would autism prevent you from having a drivers license? It happens to be a result of my autism that I'm an excellent driver. That's just me, but you're not explaining the negative correlation here. You have given ample other reasons as to not having one, so why blame your autism?
Partially because my parents (or more specifically my mom) didn't feel comfortable about me driving at first. Ironic, since I have both a natural affinity for driving and piloting. Maybe if I weren't autistic, I would have gotten a learners permit much earlier than a few years ago, before the down-turned economy made other things have a higher priority, or at least I can't help but think that. I bet that if I could actually get a driver's license and a car, I'd be an excellent driver. Even my dad says so.

Lots of people don't have cars, even those that are my age. Have you considered public transportation?
Yeah, it has been considered, but neither me, nor my parents, like the idea of being dependent on public transportation. Besides, on of my parents would have to still drive me to the bus stop.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you don't need to be autistic to have a poor excuse not to be dating. And pride is an especially poor one. Besides which, no, lots of guys your age don't have cars and they still date in college. This is only going to get worse by shuffling your feet, if you want to ask a girl out just do it (and do it a bunch, if you're an artist you should be well acquainted with the positives of failure). Maybe you can find one with a car who can drive you around.
No, I don't think that you sound too harsh, and I can appreciate your straight-forwardness. That would be good advice if I were still currently going to college, where there are plenty of girls, and indeed befriended a few. What few times that I did tell a girl that I liked her–well, lets just say that we only stayed friends.

Just from your post it sounds like you are using autism as an excuse for some poor life choices. Fortunately you are young and none of that really matters, but it hurts everyone else with autism when you go around acting like some cursed debby-downer. Conversely, I always tell people after a bit of chatting that I'm autistic, and people actually like me so I hope that does some small part to reduce the negative image that anti-vaxxers and self-haters cause. The vast majority of autistic people are perfectly good people but are closeted due to the negative image you help project. I don't doubt that circumstances might have made your life hard, hell if I felt that pity parties were games with winners I'd probably own almost anyone on smogon, but the typical case is that the prejudice of other people is the root cause of your problems. Every minority has experienced this feeling.
I wouldn't say that I'm a self-hater. I just hate some of the circumstances of my life that I can't control. Sorry if that makes me come off as too negative.

Cresselia~~

And yet there are times that it doesn't pay to be socially introverted. As in, it must seem unusual for me not to engage in conversations in social gatherings, or at least that is my preference. Because of my autism, I don't have a drivers license yet (though that is also partially because neither me nor my parents were in any hurry for me to earn one. Now neither of my parents have time to help me practice driving), which has snowballed into me not having a job or more importantly, being able to drive to a college campus that is just too out of the way for either of my parents to drive me to and from on a daily basis, like I was able to do with another community college campus, which unfortunately doesn't have all of the classes that I need to earn the degree for the type of career that I want (which is concept artist BTW, if you're curious), nor am I able to attempt to pursue any type of romantic relationships, since I find the very idea of asking a girl out on a date without being able to drive her to be humiliating, since most men my age at least have a car (though I can also blame the economy for causing the very latter).

Although most autistic people are introverts, not all introverts are autistic. Autistic people can also be extroverts.

Driving licenses have NOTHING to do with autism, and you should stop blaming autism for every single thing. And has totally nothing to do with not having a car.

Just date someone with autism. Both my boyfriend and I have Asperger's and we are totally happy when we are together.
A lot of guys find it humiliating to ask a girl on a date, whether they are autistic or not. Believe me, it's actually really common especially in Asian guys.

Think of what advantages autism has given you. Autism sure has blessed me with very good memory, good grades in school , and a bunch of alternate-type of friends. (Yes I do have lots of friends. They are just not mainstream, but I prefer them. Mostly introverts.)

I actually have a lot of admirers too. My classmates love to read my comics, or watch me draw. They also like me when I show off on piano with anime songs. They also regard me as a knowledgeable person, since I'm likely to have memorized the data they wanted.
(I do like to collect random data and memorize it. It's my way of collecting things.)
And guess what, I'm also talented in languages too. I speak Cantonese, Mandarin, English, Spanish and Japanese. I'm working towards my Spanish DELE A1 exam. (Yes, English is my third language, and I dare say that my English is better than average natives!)

In short, I prefer to be autistic as it is why I am so talented in many fields.
In fact, there's a high correlation between college students and autistic individuals.
A lot of successful scientists are autistic. (So as artists) Loads of child prodigies are autistic.

PS: Get your facts right, dude. =.=

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Asperger's Syndrome isn't even "real" anymore. It was folded into the "high functioning autism" range. Some people previously diagnosed as having Asperger's are no longer considered to be on the spectrum, while others now fit under the aforementioned high functioning autism range.

It seems like Smogon could use a thread specifically about autism, eh?
USA is the only country that has done so with the classification.
Europe refused to follow, and no other countries followed neither.
Most people on Wrong Planet are opposed to it too.

Thanks.

People need to realize that USA isn't standard of everything, or it's always right.
Sure, a lot of thing start in USA, but if it's so right, other countries will follow for sure.
If you see little to no countries following, you know that USA is on the wrong side.
(Same with the Health Pyramid which was abolished in USA and replaced by Food Plate, but other countries are still former.)

===================
This anti-vaxxer children’s book tells kids that getting the measles is a good thing
http://deadstate.org/this-anti-vaxx...ids-that-getting-the-measles-is-a-good-thing/
OMG WTF!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't realize. I should read up on AS "around the world". That said, I work with a lot of young adults with autism as part of my current line of work and I find myself agreeing with the decision to fold AS into HFA. I personally know a lot of people who lost their diagnosis because of the move away from AS in the US and while some of them were upset about it, I have to say I don't really think most of them fit on the spectrum. That's not to say those people don't have problems they need help with because a lot of them certainly do, just that describing it as "autism" might not be correct.

I don't expect people at Wrong Planet to agree with axing AS. Probably a good portion of that site's visitors had their diagnosis dropped as a result of the move. For a lot of those people, it likely means they've lost their disability status and government aid. Moreover, for a lot of people on Wrong Planet, autism is a huge part of their identity; suddenly losing their diagnosis would be a hard pill to swallow in that case. They can't be expected to remain unbiased with so much at stake.
People need to realize that USA isn't standard of everything, or it's always right.
Sure, a lot of thing start in USA, but if it's so right, other countries will follow for sure.
If you see little to no countries following, you know that USA is on the wrong side.
I did not say I think the USA is the standard of everything. This is not the first time I have seen you jump to this kind of conclusion. I would advise you to be more careful with your assumptions.

I don't think the USA is the "standard of everything", but I also think that your line of reasoning in your post is faulty. Many countries disagree on very many things. Same-sex marriage is not allowed in many, many countries, for example. Does this on its own mean that same-sex marriage is objectively wrong? No, of course not. You may indeed believe that it is, but I hope you'll agree that no one should make their opinions on such matters based only on what the law or consensus is in how many countries.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin

Thanks.
The core conceit of "Aspergers" is that "some Autistic people aren't totally retarded". It's hand holding for a world that still largely demonizes autism. Fuck that. It's odd for the USA to be ahead of the rest of the world in anything, but in this they certainly are. Aspergers is just another solidarity blocking wall. I am no different from anyone with autism, and neither are you.

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
my little brother is autistic and i've had relatives try to tell my parents that it was a result of him being vaccinated. most of the people who tell them that are the weird folks into alternative medicine that'll believe anything you tell them, though.

the fact that most of these people seem to act as if autism is some kind of life-ruining condition is probably the worst thing about it. i honestly don't know how people can support anti-vaccination solely because their children may have issues communicating later on in life. what's worse - your child being autistic but not having to worry about things like measles and rubella, or your child dying far too early because of things that they can be easily guarded from?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, you are missing my point.
At no point did I suggest welfare people are lazy, and in no point I suggest rich people are intelligent and work hard.

I am saying that-- in a fair and just country, people who are lazy and stupid won't be able to become rich.
An ideal society should make everyone earn their own money, and totally eliminate luck. (That means taxing over 60% of dead people's money so that they can't pass it on to some spoiled children)
And that Singapore is the country that's nearest to perfection.
(And that I'm appalled to see all the other countries are so far towards perfection with people this stupid being allowed to be rich.)
you're really missing the real issue. these people are really just ableist and classist, rather than stupid. they believe that their children are above routine public health measures because they feel that the unsubstantiated by science (but publicized and supported by enough people) claim that vaccines are linked to the development of autism is the correct one.

they're misguided by poorly researched, anti-scientific claims that their children will develop autism because of vaccinations that have nearly eradicated childhood illnesses that used to kill or disable children in the past. they also are fed the ableist bullshit from organizations like autism speaks that autism is something that should or can be "cured" and therefore believe that autism is worse than measles/mumps/polio/etc.

ultimately the issue isn't that these people are stupid, but that they're buying into a largely accepted belief (at least in the united states, though i'm sure the dichotomy between east and west thought regarding autism isn't as large as some may think) that autism is in fact worse than "rare" diseases. This of course ignores the fact that these diseases are perceived as rare because of the rise of vaccinations.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anti-vaxxers are imbeciles. I would gladly support a law that made it illegal to not vaccinate your children and fined you daily until you did it. Fine a % of their income so the rich celeb morons feel the weight of their own ignorance and prejudices, too.

The sheer audacity it takes to say "I would rather the chance my child dies or contracts a serious disease than gets autism" is in-freakin-credible. I would like to see an anti-vax moron go up to an autistic person and tell them to their face they'd rather their kid wind up dead than like them. If they are too irresponsible or unable to raise a child that's not 'mentally normal' they are too irresponsible to be in a position to have a child at ALL. What if the kid has a physical issue like paralysis?

Got me heated. There is 0 reason to not get the standard vaccinations. It really should be considered a form of child negligence. They have an unbelievable blind spot to how horrible it is to suggest getting polio is better than autism.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Anti-vaxxers are imbeciles. I would gladly support a law that made it illegal to not vaccinate your children and fined you daily until you did it. Fine a % of their income so the rich celeb morons feel the weight of their own ignorance and prejudices, too.

The sheer audacity it takes to say "I would rather the chance my child dies or contracts a serious disease than gets autism" is in-freakin-credible. I would like to see an anti-vax moron go up to an autistic person and tell them to their face they'd rather their kid wind up dead than like them. If they are too irresponsible or unable to raise a child that's not 'mentally normal' they are too irresponsible to be in a position to have a child at ALL. What if the kid has a physical issue like paralysis?

Got me heated. There is 0 reason to not get the standard vaccinations. It really should be considered a form of child negligence. They have an unbelievable blind spot to how horrible it is to suggest getting polio is better than autism.
verbatim said:
"You wake up, it is 8:00 AM in Hong Kong when an email notifies you that the government has begun a mandatory vaccine for a mysterious new disease for it's entire populace via needle injections. Anyone who refuses will be held down by police while doctors administer the 'medicine'."

I'm completely aware of the flawed logic surrounding America's anti-vaxination crowd (or specifically the ones that make bogus counterclaims). The point I'm trying to make (somewhat through hyperbole) is that there's a very good reason most governments can't force such things on citizens without giving real ammo to the "illuminati" crowd.
unfortunately, making vaxing mandatory is a counterproductive solution to the problem of people being idiots :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)