Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

I'm fairly new to playing strictly by certain tiers. I've always mixed up my teams with some RU/UU, but I've never been super strict. At the moment I only have one question: If I for instance make an OU team and ask on the Smogon forums for a OU match, do I have to use the exact same movesets/items/spreads showed on the mon's respective page? Am I allowed to mix things up a bit or will that cause the mon to shift a tier up/down? I hope you understand what I'm saying. Thanks in advance.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm fairly new to playing strictly by certain tiers. I've always mixed up my teams with some RU/UU, but I've never been super strict. At the moment I only have one question: If I for instance make an OU team and ask on the Smogon forums for a OU match, do I have to use the exact same movesets/items/spreads showed on the mon's respective page? Am I allowed to mix things up a bit or will that cause the mon to shift a tier up/down? I hope you understand what I'm saying. Thanks in advance.
When battling in a certain tier, the only restriction (or the most important one) is that you can't use any pokemon that are above that tier. For example, you cannot use a Latios in RU because it is an OU pokemon. What sets you choose to use don't matter much.

If a pokemon is viable in multiple tiers, then it's probably best to use the set for the tier you're playing in. For example, the EV spreads and movesets for feraligatr differ between the UU, RU, and NU sets due to the nature of the respective metagame.

Hope that answers the question :)

Last edited:
boltsandbombers said:
When battling in a certain tier, the only restriction (or the most important one) is that you can't use any pokemon that are above that tier. For example, you cannot use a Latios in RU because it is an OU pokemon. What sets you choose to use don't matter much.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. How about items like banned Mega Stones? If for instance a certain mon is allowed in OU, but its Mega Stone is banned from OU, does that shift the mon up to Uber when using the Mega Stone on it?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. How about items like banned Mega Stones? If for instance a certain mon is allowed in OU, but its Mega Stone is banned from OU, does that shift the mon up to Uber when using the Mega Stone on it?
It means that only the item is banned. For instance, when Mega Gengar was banned from OU, Gengarite left, but Gengar stayed.

xzern said:
It means that only the item is banned. For instance, when Mega Gengar was banned from OU, Gengarite left, but Gengar stayed.
Alright, so does that mean I am not allowed to use Mega Gengar at all, regardless of the tier? Or can I only use it in tiers above the highest tier Gengarite is banned from?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so does that mean I am not allowed to use Mega Gengar at all, regardless of the tier? Or can I only use it in tiers above the highest tier Gengarite is banned from?
It means you can only use it in Ubers or Anything Goes.

xzern said:
It means you can only use it in Ubers or Anything Goes.
Okay. And it wouldn't be a problem if I for instance would use a Hitmonlee in an OU match, right? I mean, the only one I would 'hurt' is myself, as I basically give my opponent an advantage.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay. And it wouldn't be a problem if I for instance would use a Hitmonlee in an OU match, right? I mean, the only one I would 'hurt' is myself, as I basically give my opponent an advantage.
You basically answered the question yourself :P
Hitmonlee is perfectly usable in OU, but it isn't very good.

There is no issue with using a Hitmonlee in an OU match.

EDIT: got ninja'ed by boltsandbombers

I've been here a while, but never bothered finding out this: How do you insert sprites into a post? Such as for an RMT or such.

Hi, guys.

I have a really bad problem. It's been awhile since I've been inactive in Smogon battles.

Admin, please help me recover my password in Smogon Showdown.

My username there is 'Dee Em'

There is no recover password feature in the site :(

You basically answered the question yourself :P
Hitmonlee is perfectly usable in OU, but it isn't very good.
How about this:
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/aggron
I was planning to use Aggron in my UU team, but I saw he's actually in OU with the same set he is in UU. Am I allowed to use Mega Aggron in both UU and OU..? I mean, wouldn't it be unfair to use OU-worthy mons in UU matches?

Same question for this set:
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/suicune

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)