Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

How can you tell what iv the pokemon you have are? I have used wonder trade a TON so i dont know what the stats are l like for the pokemon I acquired.
Dont know how lucky or unlucky I am there XD

How can you tell what iv the pokemon you have are? I have used wonder trade a TON so i dont know what the stats are l like for the pokemon I acquired.
Dont know how lucky or unlucky I am there XD
There are IV calculators for this purpose. If you have beaten the Delta Episode in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, there is a guy who will check the IVs for you. i don't know his exact location though.

EDIT: If you need help learning this stuff, I can teach you the basics.

Starting a competitive team, only have the basics such as just the pokemon species planned out, any tips or changes or advice for moves and abilities?
Toxicroak
Lanturn
Flygon
Scizor (my mega)
Florges
Dusknoir
has only two instances of double weakness and those would be against Ground and Ice
also if i had a mono team, what should i look out for
First of all, Dusclops with Eviolite>Dusknoir. However, Dusclops is hindered by Knock Off much more greatly. It's also generally a good idea to run rain support with Toxicroak, as it appreciates the passive recovery. If you are using Lanturn for rain, don't. Something like Politoed with Drizzle is much better. Half of your team is weak to Ground type moves, so I suggest you get rid of Lanturn and swap it with something less weak to Ground. A better alternative for Flygon would be Dragonite, because it can easily set up a Dragon Dance and sweep. Florges is generally outclassed by Sylveon because of Pixilate, however Florges has higher Special Defense.

Last edited:
If you don't mind I would appreciate it. Was trying the mentor program but the first person I asked was very busy and I haven't heard from anyone else yet for help with this kinda stuff

Would a have quoted you but it was a long post XD
SlashItToBits

Last edited:
Starting a competitive team, only have the basics such as just the pokemon species planned out, any tips or changes or advice for moves and abilities?
Toxicroak
Lanturn
Flygon
Scizor (my mega)
Florges
Dusknoir
has only two instances of double weakness and those would be against Ground and Ice
also if i had a mono team, what should i look out for
Hi, I'd recommend getting an OU mentor or sign up for OU in Battling 101. That said, your team sadly seems to have many flaws, so I'd not recommend going to the Rate My Team section just yet.

will do! thanks! i tried to pick pokemon that i liked a lot that also diminished the number of weaknesses, but i have no experience so i guess something went wrong along the way! i appreciate it!

Can BL2 Pokemon be used in the UU tier? Or BL in the OU tier? I've been looking but can't find a clear yes or no response. I know they can't be used in the tiers below them but the way I understand it is that they are only in the borderline tiers because they don't see high usage.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can BL2 Pokemon be used in the UU tier? Or BL in the OU tier? I've been looking but can't find a clear yes or no response. I know they can't be used in the tiers below them but the way I understand it is that they are only in the borderline tiers because they don't see high usage.
Yeah, for example you can use terrakion (BL) in OU, and Dragalage (bl2) in UU.

Hey um i was wundering how people get some sort of description under each post like minus you have a nuch of pokemon how do you do that?

What are IVs and EVs and how do I calculate them and use them? Sorry I'm a noob so I don't know what it is.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What are IVs and EVs and how do I calculate them and use them? Sorry I'm a noob so I don't know what it is.
IVs: When you encounter a Pokémon, the game generates a random value for each stat between 1-31. Each IV point corresponds to 1 stat point at Lv100. i.e., A Lv100 Abomasnow with 31 HP IVs has an HP stat of 321 while a Lv100 Abomasnow with 0 HP IVs has an HP stat of 290. IVs can be improved through breeding or by encountering Pokémon repeatedly using DexNav.

EVs: Every time you defeat a wild Pokémon, your Pokémon gains Effort Values. For example, defeating a wild Zigzagoon would give you 1 Speed EV. Once you gain 4 EVs in a single stat, that stat rises by 1 point. A Pokémon can have up to 252 EVs in a stat, equating to 63 bonus stat points. The total number of EVs a Pokémon can have is 510.

Reactions: Sim
This is kind of a strange question but,

Can you keep soft resetting the game to get the story Latios or Latias in ORAS with the right nature you need? I've soft resetted like 4 times and keep getting Modest although the first time I got Calm. I hope I'm not stuck on Modest now.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
This is kind of a strange question but,

Can you keep soft resetting the game to get the story Latios or Latias in ORAS with the right nature you need? I've soft resetted like 4 times and keep getting Modest although the first time I got Calm. I hope I'm not stuck on Modest now.
I believe you can.
Check out this guide for more information.

I have a question regarding competitive battling, what would be a "good" starting team for someone who has started their game five days ago, and hasn't ever tried competitive battling before now?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have a question regarding competitive battling, what would be a "good" starting team for someone who has started their game five days ago, and hasn't ever tried competitive battling before now?
What tier would you like to play in? There are many sample teams available, but it isnt that easy to just pick up a team and start playing. Its pretty important to understand the mechanics and concepts of competitive Pokemon. I can direct you to a mentor depending on which tier you'd like to play, or someone who can help with the basics of Pokemon battling.

What tier would you like to play in? There are many sample teams available, but it isnt that easy to just pick up a team and start playing. Its pretty important to understand the mechanics and concepts of competitive Pokemon. I can direct you to a mentor depending on which tier you'd like to play, or someone who can help with the basics of Pokemon battling.
I don't know which tier cause I have never heard of them before now, what tier would you recommend for a beginner like me? I need to understand Pokemon battling in every way possible, before I can choose which tier, it that okay with you?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I don't know which tier cause I have never heard of them before now, what tier would you recommend for a beginner like me? I need to understand Pokemon battling in every way possible, before I can choose which tier, it that okay with you?
Hm, I'd probably go with OU (Overused) because its a fairly easy tier to get into as there are a lot of different playstyles and Pokemon you can use. I suggest checking out the mentor list here: [http://www.smogon.com/mentorship/profiles] and contacting someone who has "The Basics of Pokémon Battling" in their Areas of Expertise.

Alternatively, you could use the help form here [http://www.smogon.com/mentorship/help] if you have any other questions about Smogon in general, and you will be directed to a mentor who has expertise in the topic of the question you asked.

Lastly, tagging Aragorn the King, Albacore, and Trinitrotoluene to help you out with the OU tier :]

How does one become a Moderator/Super Moderator?
Users who are solid and consistent posters in a specific forum can become Mods, although promotions occur on an as-needed basis. Super Mods tend to be leaders of different areas of the site, have good standing throughout the forums, and are trusted by the rest of senior staff to be level-headed. These promotions are also done on an as-needed basis.
Difference between the uses of stall and wall
Stall is a playstyle that relies on passive damage (entry hazards, toxic, leech seed, etc.) to weaken down the opponent before cleaning up. It generally utilizes walls, which are Pokemon that can put a stop to an opposing threat and either force it out or outlast it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)