Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Would it be frowned upon to breed my perfects from a likely hacked source? I can't be sure as it was traded by a friend but am in possession of a 6IV Ditto with a legal ball and nature. All the children would have legitimate movesets, natures, balls, etc. but would share the ditto as one of the parents. The chance for a 6IV from two 5IV parents has been a long grind. I got lucky with two 4IV parents and rolled a perfect 6IV but that was a very unlikely scenario. If it's something that would not be accepted I'll just keep grinding out eggs but the ditto method would cut down the time significantly.
In general, anything hacked is frowned upon significantly by this community. If you want to stay safe, shy away from anything hacked.

Been about a week and no one responded to my help request page. Do i fill another out or is there someone specific i should message?

QueBien

Been about a week and no one responded to my help request page. Do i fill another out or is there someone specific i should message?
You can try asking a mentor, if your question is about competitive battling. What's your question?

I do not understand why I cant post my own trade thread. I tried the thread one of moderators showed me and my replies just getting buried by other users.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Drop me a pm.

I do not understand why I cant post my own trade thread. I tried the thread one of moderators showed me and my replies just getting buried by other users.
you can make one, just read the rules before you do!

You can click their username, either by finding them in a roster, or using /user [name] and clicking that one. Click challenge, and select the tier you want to battle. Any private battle does not count towards your ladder rating, so technically, any private battle is a practice battle. :)
Can you help me
I am breeding a male adamant nature chimchar holding an everstone with a female chimchar but the egg is always male how do i make it able to be a female

QueBien

Can you help me
I am breeding a male adamant nature chimchar holding an everstone with a female chimchar but the egg is always male how do i make it able to be a female
Are you soft resetting? If so, the gender is predetermined. To get a female, you can't softreset. You will have to hatch multiple eggs until you get a female. :]

EDIT: Also, Chimchar has a gender ratio of 87.5% male: 12.5% female. It will usually take a while to get a female egg.

Are you soft resetting? If so, the gender is predetermined. To get a female, you can't softreset. You will have to hatch multiple eggs until you get a female. :]

EDIT: Also, Chimchar has a gender ratio of 87.5% male: 12.5% female. It will usually take a while to get a female egg.
I am probably really unlucky then because I've hatched 2 and a half boxes of males without soft reseting

QueBien

I am probably really unlucky then because I've hatched 2 and a half boxes of males without soft reseting
Everstone breeding makes the offspring inherit the nature of the Pokemon holding the everstone. It does not affect gender. Good luck! :)

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - but I'm not sure what the best place to ask it is.

During my Black 2 playthrough, I noticed something kinda bizarre when facing Drayden's Haxorus. When he sent it out after I killed drudg and flygon, he outsped me and Dragon Danced. Then, the turn after that, I outsped him and ko'ed. Does the game provide hidden priority or something to make it more challenging? I can't come up with an explanation.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this - but I'm not sure what the best place to ask it is.

During my Black 2 playthrough, I noticed something kinda bizarre when facing Drayden's Haxorus. When he sent it out after I killed drudg and flygon, he outsped me and Dragon Danced. Then, the turn after that, I outsped him and ko'ed. Does the game provide hidden priority or something to make it more challenging? I can't come up with an explanation.
It could be a speed tie in witch both pokemon have the same speed and the game pretty much flips a coin to see who goes first.

What move did you use the first time?

strength

edit: I just did it again to be sure I wasn't missing anything. The same thing happened.

Turn 1, he out speeds and DD's, I strength, sitrus berry kicks in.
Turn 2, I outspeed and KO

Last edited:

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus

Drayden's Haxorus knows Dragon Tail, which has -6 priority (compared to say, Strength, which has 0 priority). This would explain why your Pokémon were able to go before it despite its boosts.

I'm confused by certain semantics regarding checks and counters. When browsing Victim Of The Week threads, I've seen people adding adjectives "hard" and "soft" to those two terms, and while each opening post provides commonly accepted definitions of the two general terms, I haven't seen a single definition of a soft/hard check/counter. Should I consider them cosmetic and ignore them, or are there set definitions for those posted somewhere I could be linked to? In case those terms are commonly used to describe an extent of mon's ability to check/counter another yet lack a commonly accepted definition, shouldn't official definitions be made for them?
Finally, what is the commonly accepted "room for error" for being a check or counter? Obviously we're not looking at exactly 100% surefire means of beating something, because otherwise M-Metagross wouldn't be even able to check anything with 90% accurate moves, for example. I'd guess the minimum allowed success chance of a given method of checking/countering would be something around 80%, but I want to ask to be sure.

EDIT One more thing. Do we always assume that Stealth Rocks are up on BOTH sides of the field, or only ours?

Last edited:
How do I insert Pokemon sprites into a forum post? Like if I'm doing a RMT thread and I want my pokemon's sprites to show up next to their sets.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How do I insert Pokemon sprites into a forum post? Like if I'm doing a RMT thread and I want my pokemon's sprites to show up next to their sets.
Copy the image url from the sprites found here: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/
To put them into a post, click the little picture button next to the smiley face (I think that explains it well enough, I'd screencap what I'm talking about but on phone) and paste the link there.

I'm new in the forums, but have been pokemon for a while now. I want to ask someone if my Mega Gyarados and Gengar core works.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

I was thinking of me unable to kill azumarills and brelooms so I figured gengar was the perfect partner for Mega Gyarados. Also helps my Gyarados's fighting weakness.

QueBien

How do i get my pokemon Hack-Checked?
There are multiple ways to do so. You can check for a blue pentagon in the status screen; if it does not have one, it was either not obtained from Kalos/Hoenn (Gen 6) or is hacked. A better way to check for a hacked Pokemon is through the PokeBank. If it does not let you deposit your Pokemon, it is illegitimate. You can also check to see the catch location and met at level (if it is off, it is probably not legitimate). In addition, check its moves, nature, and if it should be shiny-locked. Finally, check its EVs/IVs by looking at the maximum for each using Showdown/Smogon.

Last edited:
Ok im not new but I want to know the best way to find out when smogon tournments start and how to join im try to become a recognized battler in hopes of trying out for spl next year. and im not new im sorry if im not suposed to post here :[

Ok im not new but I want to know the best way to find out when smogon tournments start and how to join im try to become a recognized battler in hopes of trying out for spl next year. and im not new im sorry if im not suposed to post here :[
Upcoming official tournament signup dates can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/major-tournament-schedule.3486220/

You can also keep an eye on the Tournaments forum for anything in signups. Official Doubles Winter Seasonal (with a cash prize up for grabs), It's No Use!, and The Rainbow League are all open for signups atm. If you use Twitter, you can also follow @SmogonU. I usually try to announce any tournaments I notice in sign-ups on there~

And don't worry about being new or not. Anyone with a question is welcome to ask away here ^.^

Upcoming official tournament signup dates can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/major-tournament-schedule.3486220/

You can also keep an eye on the Tournaments forum for anything in signups. Official Doubles Winter Seasonal (with a cash prize up for grabs), It's No Use!, and The Rainbow League are all open for signups atm. If you use Twitter, you can also follow @SmogonU. I usually try to announce any tournaments I notice in sign-ups on there~

And don't worry about being new or not. Anyone with a question is welcome to ask away here ^.^
Thanks for the help man i think im gonna try the rainbow tournament :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)