np: UU Stage 2 - Uptown Funk You Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy that the fucking piece of shit that flinches your whole team is gone sad that Jirachi is gone. The thing fits UU well in my opinion. With Starmie gone, Nidoking, Hydreigon and Honchkrow might actually see some more action, since one of their checks is gone and they don't have to pack a scarf to beat it. Also with one of our offensive spinners gone, Mega Blastoise might become a bit better. I personally love Scarfcross and I will be the first to test it out in UU once it's released, hopefully it is! Mence can be put to good use by switching in on things with intimidate and about Terrakion I have nothing else to say but OH MY GOD THE HORROR

Having goofed around on the ladder a bit I'd say the most fun addition to the tier is custap berry forry, that thing is so fun to play with. Terrakion is certainly broken, and mence is dangerous, but I don't think it's entirely broken, I think a longer test would be best for it. Mega sharpedo is amazing right now because of the dangerous new wallbreakers that it gets to play with, as terrakion and mix mence break just about every counter the thing has. The neta is really fun right now, but it's chaotic, it's been fun playing with the new threats, I'll be kind of sad to see them go.

So while I can't find the exact post I remember not too long ago there was mention of going away from the council voting system and towards a more universal suspect test system, should we be expecting that for the recent drops like Terrakion and Salamence or if this might possibly be implemented further down the line how long should we expect the wait to be?

So while I can't find the exact post I remember not too long ago there was mention of going away from the council voting system and towards a more universal suspect test system, should we be expecting that for the recent drops like Terrakion and Salamence or if this might possibly be implemented further down the line how long should we expect the wait to be?
The post you were looking for:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-uu-stage-1-changes.3522744/page-23#post-5995656

Really hope Mence stays though. We obviously don't have enough dragons as it is.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel like Mega Aerodactyl's really gonna benefit hugely in this meta (As it has in every meta because the thing's just stupidly good) as Bouff said, especially now that Scarf Jirachi is no longer present. Being a solid check to Terrakion (Sets using CB X-Scissor/Earthquake are pretty much a free switch to this guy, and Earthquake does 76.1 - 89.7% to Terrak while Aqua Tail does 91 - 107.7%) as well as Salamence and Heracross means it's going to be able to fit pretty nicely into both Balanced and Offensive teams looking for a bit of a more offensive check to these mons, while sturdier partners like Suicune, Cresselia, Gligar, Nidoqueen, Doublade, Aromatisse(?), etc. Can sponge some of the bigger hits from these mons.

I'd been toying around with the idea of Pursuit Mega Aerodactyl + SD Heracross for the sake of trapping some of Heracross' faster offensive checks, such as Crobat, Entei, and Darmanitan, as they really get pressured by Stealth Rock damage. While this doesn't ensure they're outright dead, it wears them down heck of a lot faster than just letting them switch out for free once Aerodactyl comes in. It's kind of an odd concept cuz Pursuit isn't really needed for Ghost-types as Heracross runs Knock Off anyway, but just for the faster mons that Aerodactyl can more easily deal with, which threaten Heracross. Meanwhile Hera can drink gallons of SCALDing hot water from the likes of Suicune and Alomomola for Aerodactyl, so even if you don't run Pursuit it's still a decent offensive core.

Also unrelated but am I the only one who didn't care much for Celebi or Starmie leaving UU? I never had much success stuffing Celebi into my teams and defensive sets were a turnoff to me for the long list of common weaknesses it had. I mean I could see their viability but I could never make it work. And Starmie's just...Eh, I liked Tenta/Blastoise better for a bulky or offensive Water-type spinner anyway. Raikou though, you were a champ and I'mma miss you. :[

I've been playing around with Terrak's Lead Focus Sash set w/ Taunt/SR/CC/SE, and my god, it's one of the best Taunt users I've used in UU. Speed ties with Galvantula to possibly stop Sticky Web from being used. That Base 108 speed is glorious for a Taunt user, and I know things like Aero exist that can also Taunt, but when you have a mon like Terrakion that can hit exponentially harder than Aero and still be able to execute a fast Taunt AND be able to set up rocks at the same time, you have yourself a phenomenal Lead.

It's crazy how versatile Terrakion is. Band, Scarf, Stallbreaker, Swords Dance, LO, Rock Polish, Double Dance, just SEEING a Terrakion in Team Preview is nightmarish because you won't know what it'll do before your stall team starts struggling or you have already lost 3 of your Pokemon.

May I ask if and when terrak and mence are going to get quickbanned? They are feeling a bit too strong and I wanna see if it's worth to wait before making teams for this meta that will shift pretty drastically anyway.

I feel like mence will stay since ScarfKing can ice beam it and Florges takes a massive shit on it.
Terrakion has got to go it's terrifying To go up against due to its variety in sets.

I feel like mence will stay since ScarfKing can ice beam it and Florges takes a massive shit on it.
Terrakion has got to go it's terrifying To go up against due to its variety in sets.
ScarfKing is bad to put it simply, it should always run Ice Beam since one of its best qualities is its coverage.

Mence can run Iron Tail to beat Florges if it wants.

One mon that I've found really neat recently is Mega Glalie, since it really synchronises well with all the drops- by stomping almost every wall into the ground lol.

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Super Fang
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry

Basically the only thing that this doesn't 2HKO and can actually do something back is defensive arcanine. People like to switch things like Suicune and Swampert in, only for them to eat a super fang and subsequently die to freeze dry, while if they realise and switch Umbreon in as you're invested in special attack, it also dies to double edge after a super fang.

This leaves steel types that can try and stand up against you- mons that heracross and terrakion (to a lesser extent) eat up. But still lol, even they're not safe. After a super fang Doublade dies to hp fire, the tank mega aggron set on the calc takes 2 hp fires before dying, but unless it's running iron head it can't 1hko back. Forretress obviously dies to hp fire, meanwhile empoleon unfortunately takes 3 freeze dries after the fang, but it can't 2hko back.

So yeah, basically completely wears down/eliminates common answers to a whole bunch of physical sweepers. Also you might be reluctant about an uninvested double edge, but:

4 Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 196-232 (57.4 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 207-244 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

U can see it's still pretty damn stronk :o

EDIT: also tailwind support + glalie is fucking brutal lol

The two Pokemon that Terrakion KOd were going to lose to it anyways. While I am not denying that Terrakion could possibly have bannable qualities, that video is not an accurate representation of why we would ban Terrakion from UU. Entei and Mienshao both lose to Terrakion anyways unless Mienshao is Scarfed, so nothing in here would actually support your argument.

ScarfKing is bad to put it simply, it should always run Ice Beam since one of its best qualities is its coverage.

Mence can run Iron Tail to beat Florges if it wants.
Iron Tail has 75 accuracy, and you need to sacrifice a moveslot to put it on when Salamence could be running Roost, D-Dance, or Defog, all are really good moves that yoi have to give up.

Terrakion's power, speed, and typing made that sweep completely brainless and completely safe. Any other Pokemon would have failed to net the KOs, failed to outspeed what could have been Scarf Mienshao, and could be worn down by shit like Fake Out and Extreme Speed.

So far I have found 2 Pokemon to be utterly borked at the moment and I feel should go. The first one is Terrakion, which I do not feel I need to elaborate on as everyone is already starting to repeat themselves.
The second one is actually Serperior. With the tier shift Serperior lost a couple of its faster threats in Scarf Jirachi and Starmie who could carry Ice Beam, as well as a nice defensive answer in Celebi. And although at first everyone looked at it and thought it was easy to check or counter, since people have had time to play with it and experiment with it I find this no longer to be the case. I find that it can be really hard to switch your check into a Serperior, as surprisingly it is actually quite versatile. Besides the obvious Leaf Storm that will be on every set, Serp can run Glare, Dragon Pulse, HP Fire, Substitute, Taunt, Synthesis or even Dragon Tail to prevent being phazed. Checks like Crobat are greatly crippled by Glare. Things like Goodra get worn down by having to constantly take Dragon Pulses. Defensive mons that rely on a status move or something to deal with Serperior can be subbed on or taunted and become setup up galore, not to mention very few defensive Pokemon in the tier have something to hit Serp back hard. Scarfers also have to watch out for Glare and Sub. In a lot of cases you can easily lose a Pokemon when Serp switches in at the right time before you can get your answer in, and even then Serp can easily switch. Serps great speed at the moment, coupled with quite useable bulk, ways to get around checks and of course great boosting potential in Contrary Leaf Storm make it very overwhelming with only a tiny bit of support, and I believe too strong atm, which is quite different to how I initially saw it.

Salamence I am uncertain with, but I think it would help to have a closer inspection once these 2 mons (or at least Terrakion) leave the tier.

So far I have found 2 Pokemon to be utterly borked at the moment and I feel should go. The first one is Terrakion, which I do not feel I need to elaborate on as everyone is already starting to repeat themselves.
The second one is actually Serperior. With the tier shift Serperior lost a couple of its faster threats in Scarf Jirachi and Starmie who could carry Ice Beam, as well as a nice defensive answer in Celebi. And although at first everyone looked at it and thought it was easy to check or counter, since people have had time to play with it and experiment with it I find this no longer to be the case. I find that it can be really hard to switch your check into a Serperior, as surprisingly it is actually quite versatile. Besides the obvious Leaf Storm that will be on every set, Serp can run Glare, Dragon Pulse, HP Fire, Substitute, Taunt, Synthesis or even Dragon Tail to prevent being phazed. Checks like Crobat are greatly crippled by Glare. Things like Goodra get worn down by having to constantly take Dragon Pulses. Defensive mons that rely on a status move or something to deal with Serperior can be subbed on or taunted and become setup up galore, not to mention very few defensive Pokemon in the tier have something to hit Serp back hard. Scarfers also have to watch out for Glare and Sub. In a lot of cases you can easily lose a Pokemon when Serp switches in at the right time before you can get your answer in, and even then Serp can easily switch. Serps great speed at the moment, coupled with quite useable bulk, ways to get around checks and of course great boosting potential in Contrary Leaf Storm make it very overwhelming with only a tiny bit of support, and I believe too strong atm, which is quite different to how I initially saw it.

Salamence I am uncertain with, but I think it would help to have a closer inspection once these 2 mons (or at least Terrakion) leave the tier.
serperior i don't think is broken, but really good. i've kinda been using a defensive serperior, and it's kinda worked (have not had enough time to really use it a lot). terrakion, yes kinda broken. idk about salamence, it's really borderline.

serp set i've been using down below

Defperior (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Glare
- Substitute

and a replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-207791383 (this was when pinsir was still in the tier)

Terrakion's power, speed, and typing made that sweep completely brainless and completely safe. Any other Pokemon would have failed to net the KOs, failed to outspeed what could have been Scarf Mienshao, and could be worn down by shit like Fake Out and Extreme Speed.
wtf are u talking about scarf ape wouldve cleaned the exact same way terrakion did and lol at scarf fake out mienshao.

Reactions: zbr
Sorry, didn't mean to say that the two overlapped. Actually, since Infernape is much more frail and doesn't resist Normal, a combination Extreme Speed and Fake Out would have KO'd after a CC drop.

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Fake Out vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 110-131 (37.5 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Extreme Speed vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 263-310 (89.7 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Sorry, I meant Extreme Speed would have OHKO'd after Rocks by itself, leaving him with Mienshao and Entei.

or just switch out to chandelure and come back later to clean ?_? honestly i cant tell if ppl are trolling or are just acting dumb at this point but theres no way u can possibly believe that replay actually means anything. Terrakion is going to be banned because of the massive sweeping potential of the double dance sets not because it can clean a fucking weakened team lategame with a scarf...

You missed a very important word there: potential. Double Dance is rarely going to set up against anything more passive than full stall, whereas shit like Scarf and Break are breaking UU RIGHT NOW. I'll get more replays if it makes you feel better, but Terrakion's been cleaning 99% of my games and Dragon Dance Salamence, which people seem to be way more terrified of, has done jack.

Look, can we stop arguing about this and ban Terrakion? However he's broken doesn't change that he's broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)