The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reached C-rank
Adsız.png

I'll go for at least B rank for sure but need to practice some RU first because of the suspect test.(Last time i've played Megadoom was legal.)

*I did not realise how big of a threat grass types were to my team. Mainly LO Shaymin and LO Roserade since they outspeed everything i have. Wish i could fit Hydreigon or Chandelure somehow but their usage are too damn high.
*Also i got completely wrecked by CB Snorlax once. I guess this is what happens when your only Normal resist is a freaking Lucario. :[
*Some notable replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201372393
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201908681
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202260429

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think C rank is 1500, not 1400. I was under the impression that 1400 was a one-time thing because of the ladder reset.

Regardless, congrats to you and Patrick1088 on the peaks! I've been letting my DH team linger in the mid-1400s, focusing mostly on the OU Dark Horse. Next month I think I'll do one or the other, not both. I might try another push for 1500 before the month is out.

Reached C-rank
View attachment 33967
I'll go for at least B rank for sure but need to practice some RU first because of the suspect test.(Last time i've played Megadoom was legal.)

*I did not realise how big of a threat grass types were to my team. Mainly LO Shaymin and LO Roserade since they outspeed everything i have. Wish i could fit Hydreigon or Chandelure somehow but their usage are too damn high.
*Also i got completely wrecked by CB Snorlax once. I guess this is what happens when your only Normal resist is a freaking Lucario. :[
*Some notable replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201372393
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201908681
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202260429

C rank is 1500, it was only 1400 last month due to shift change unless CoolStoryBrobat said differently?

But, LO shaymin and Roserade are top grass threats. Watch out for Serperior who can topple most teams with the right support.

A-Rank = 1600 Elo
B-Rank = 1500 Elo
C-Rank = 1400 Elo

Ladder inflation's inevitably gonna happen over time and this provision will eventually be removed but right now it's the easiest way to make this challenge work for the month, so it's in effect for December. Whether it lasts in January is gonna be based on how hard the top guys plan on 1-upping eachother. Till then...Enjoy, and best of luck everybody!

*I don't exactly know what bolded part means but because csb did not made an announcement regarding the new ranks i assumed they are still the same with last month. Also i find this much better considering there are only 5 people on the ladder that has over 1700 elo (and 2 people over 1750) which is too much for A-Rank imo.

*Regarding Serperior, i just perish song+recover spam with Celebi and so far it did not cause much trouble to me.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Neat, then I'm at C-rank despite my issues with the team, and should hopefully hit B. I'll post a screenshot when I get to a real computer.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reached B-Rank without too many problems, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to change up my team if I'm going to climb any further.

My team is based around an offensive core of Dragalge, Magneton, Serperior, and Mega Aerodactyl. They have pretty decent synergy together:
  • Dragalge: Breaks walls for Aerodactyl with Specs Draco and Sludge Wave. Takes fighting and fire attacks for Magneton and Serperior.
  • Magneton: Traps steels so that Dragalge can spam Sludge Wave freely. Traps ScarfRachi for Aerodactyl. Shrugs off flying moves aimed at Serperior with Eviolite-boosted bulk.
  • Serperior: Beats bulky waters for Aerodactyl. Takes ground attacks for Magneton and Dragalge.
  • Mega Aerodactyl: Pursuit traps Crobat and Mega Beedrill for Serperior. Lures ScarfRachi into Iron Head for Magneton. Also provides ground immunity. 4 attacks for maximum coverage.
I decided to add SD Lucario because I needed a Blissey destroyer. I also wanted Bullet Punch for Mega Diancie and opposing Aerodactyl. The team needed rocks, so I chose lead Azelf as my last pokemon.

My team is very weak to opposing Mega Aerodactyl. My only ways to beat it are Bullet Punch or winning the speed tie. The Nidos wreck my team, as does almost anything with Ice + Ground coverage (Mega Glalie, Kyurem). Opposing Lucario are also very dangerous, particularly if they carry Bullet Punch for Aerodactyl.

I'm open to replacing Lucario and Azelf. I'm really leaning towards Bronzong, since it stops Mega Aero and the Nidos, but without Azelf's Taunt I'll either have to play most games with rocks on my side, or try to find a hazard remover that can beat Blissey and Lucario for the last slot. Some other mons I've considered are Krookodile or Cobalion, but I'm not sure how well they fit. A scarfer could be useful too, but most of them can't deal with +2 Lucario. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bonus Content - Dragalge and Serp vs the #3 player on the ladder:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202931613

Feedback Time!

So, after playing with the team for over a week, I definitely learned a few lessons.

Mega Absol is pretty good. The simple ability of Magic Bounce forces the opponent into making crucial decisions right from the beginning.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202774737
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201234295

Both of these replays show how Mega Absol can easily deal with Sash Azelf. Predicting the Explosion is pretty easily and nets me an easy KO. Play Rough is a much needed addition to Mega Absol's movepool with Knock Off. Great coverage overall. My main problem with Mega Absol is scarf fighting types ie. Mienshao, Infernape and bulky fighting types like Cobalion. Mienshao and Cobalion were easy enough to handle, but Infernape is such a pain.

One of the top MVP of the team. Not a doubt in my mind why it's a S-Ranked mon. Key resists to Fighting, Grass, Bug, Poison and Ground allow it numerous switch in opportunities. Bulky support sets are very viable in the current meta and it's speed tier is top notch.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202837547

One of the best, and closest, matches I've ever been in. Towards the end, it came down to checking Scarf Infernape, LO Roserade and Mega Absol. Smart switching and pressure allow me to snatch this victory. But, is very close and a great match up to the last turn.

Typical Bulky Water Vaporeon *sigh*. I didn't really have too many options regarding Cleric under 10% and I needed a Fire Resist and water absorber. It did it's job once in a while, but it's "bulk" is pretty underwhelming when compared to Blissey, Florges, etc.. It can take some hits from both sides of the spectrum, but overall has trouble with really strong attackers.

Dark Horses

I'm very happy with this choice for a physical wall. 65/120 defenses is pretty good. It was able to lay down T-Spikes, spread Burn with WoW and attack with Sludge Bomb/Flamethrower. It's also a really good check to Chesnaught, which is just annoying. HP is a little low, and pretty deceiving at how bulky it is, but it does it's job well. The ability to set up on Blissey is pretty nice as well.

One of my favorite DH so far (my favorite is coming up shortly lol). I ran a simple SubCM set with Max HP/Def bulk. Even some scarfers that I mentioned before (infernape/Mienshao) have trouble with the Duck with U-Turn not able to break the sub.

252 Atk Infernape U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 84-100 (18.9 - 22.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mienshao U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 96-114 (21.6 - 25.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sub blocks status and let's it set up on really common mons like Florges, Suicune (watch out for an annoying Sub/Roar sets), Blissey, Forretress, etc.. Overall very happy with Cress.

Now, to my top favorite DH so far...

Serperior has definitely surprised me the most. I added her on just as to try her out (hence why DaWeezingDuckDH alt had no mention of Serp). I realized quickly that Contrary + Leaf Storm is a deadly combination. Base 130 Sp Atk that doubles sp atk is no joke. It's one of the view mons that can literally 2HKO Blissey on the Sp Def side.

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 114-135 (15.9 - 18.9%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 228-268 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 339-400 (47.4 - 56%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 453-534 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Glare and HP Fire cripple/beat the usual switch-ins like Crobat and Jirachi, as well.

+2 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 180-214 (52.7 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

My one main problem with Serperior is that while it's speed is good (113 is impressive), it's slow when compared to the top Mega Threats in UU; Mega Aero, Mega Beedrill, Mega Pidgeot, etc.. I think Serp is a good mon in the current meta, but definitely requires team support to really shine.

Possible changes to team:
An actual "special wall" since my team is 100% weak to special attackers, no joke. If i'm not putting pressure with T Spikes, Mega Absol and Serp, then most special attackers can walk all over me. I had one game where a lead Chandelure just kept attacking and tearing through my team left and right. I ran into the guy again and was smart enough to lead with Absol, but still....

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Just hit B-rank:

I've switched up the team a bit, since it was designed originally for the Mega-Diancie meta. Tentacruel was swapped for Starmie, and I changed out Work Up Pidgeot to Protect Pidgeot to better deal with Medicham. Of course, without T-spikes or Work Up/Refresh Pidgeot, my issues with stall are increased tenfold... but luckily Medicham is making stall's life difficult, so I haven't seen it a ton.

You will be once I update this thing. And if you want to explain it that's up to you lol
Okay haha. Well, rhyperior at least has a moveset of earthquake, stone edge, ice punch, and dragon tail. A lot of the people I faced expected the stealth rocks set, so I was able to punch a few holes with dragon tail when they taunted. I decided to slap an assault vest on rhyperior. Though I understand it isn't an optimal investment on him, with a little special defense investment it can let it tank neutral special hits a little better.

http://www.smogon.com/stats/2015-01/uu-1630.txt

January Stats are up and boy am I glad that Jirachi has left lol This is going to be as refreshing as Victini leaving lol

Also,...

36 | Serperior | 6.52222% | 26614 | 4.933% | 21085 | 4.867%

62 | Shaymin | 3.67335% | 16398 | 3.039% | 12614 | 2.911%

That was a complete 180 from pre-contrary release lol But, DH look a little skimpy this month, tbh. I have a team that I've been playing with and should be pretty good.

Here it is:

Seismitoad: 0.60
Granbull: 0.92
Escavalier: 1.01
Mismagius: 0.46
Umbreon: 7.19
Crobat: 19.44

New Alt: ScoobyDooDH

User: scoobydoodhThis user has not played any ladder games yet.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
My current muck-about team that I fall back on when I need a break is doing fairly well, and uses three dark horses (Ferroseed, Kyurem and Shedinja), and I was thinking of using it for this month. That said, I'm not sure if I want to DH it this time around, especially since the team really can't hang with Mega-Pinsir. I'll give it some thought and figure something out.

Hit 1200 already lol

Quick thoughts for Night 1:

Granbull: Absolutely loving a Rachi-Free UU meta.
Escavalier: handles Serperior quite nicely! :-)
Seismitoad: One of my favorite mons recently. It functions as a fire and water check. Volt Switch-in, has SR and Knock Off. It's like Swampert and Gastrodon had babies lol
Mismagius: Hasn't done much so far. But, Ghost/Fairy Coverage seems pretty good lol
Crobat/Umbreon: Usual staples, both very good!

:-)

Started a fresh dark horse account: DarkHorseCelestial. My team so far is Aerodactyl, Slowking, Serperior, Slurpuff, Forretress, and Zoroark. (Dark horses bolded :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)