Perfect Trinities

I'm looking for perfect pokemon type trinities that could serve as starters since I discovered the glorious effects of the pokemon randomizer. But there are a lot of type interactions to go over, so I thought I'd enlist some help.

To give an idea of what I'm looking for, I will give some examples.

The age old example would be Water-Fire-Grass. Another example of a perfect trinity would be Ground-Poison-Grass. In such perfect trinities both do double the damage to and resist the type that is weak to them. Although I could foresee this working out other ways too (all do normal damage but resist the type weak to them, for example).

An example of an imperfect trinity, in other words something I'm not looking for, would be like Psychic-Fighting-Dark. This is almost a perfect trinity, except for the fact that Dark is completely immune to Psychic rather than just taking reduced damage.

So I'm going to be messing around on the type charts. Bonus points to the first person to find the first dual-type trinity!

Postscript: If there is anyone who has done this sort of work already, don't be shy.

Total list so far:
Water - Fire - Grass
Ground - Poison - Grass
Fighting - Rock - Flying
Steel - Rock - Fire

Last edited:
I'd hate to be nitpicky, but a perfect trinity for me is one where the type also resists itself. Anyone else like that? Therefore, fire/water/grass is the 'perfect' trinity. The rest are just posers. :D

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'd hate to be nitpicky, but a perfect trinity for me is one where the type also resists itself. Anyone else like that? Therefore, fire/water/grass is the 'perfect' trinity. The rest are just posers. :D
The other 3 trinities that GeneralNameless posted are "perfect" trinities. ;)

Honestly the only possible "perfect" trinities left would be dual-type ones and good luck to whoever decides to do those. Actually since we have 4 sets of "perfect" trios let me see if I can find a "perfect" trinity with them.

*few minutes later*

Nope, no combination of single perfect trinities combine to make a dual perfect trinity.

The other 3 trinities that GeneralNameless posted are "perfect" trinities. ;)

Honestly the only possible "perfect" trinities left would be dual-type ones and good luck to whoever decides to do those. Actually since we have 4 sets of "perfect" trios let me see if I can find a "perfect" trinity with them.

*few minutes later*

Nope, no combination of single perfect trinities combine to make a dual perfect trinity.
What I meant was water resists water, fire resists fire, and grass resists grass. No other 'perfect' trinity can claim that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What I meant was water resists water, fire resists fire, and grass resists grass. No other 'perfect' trinity can claim that.
Hmm, I always saw that more of a bonus. You never really think of how the type interacts with itself (unless its Ghost or Dragon, but that's really only if you're looking for a move Super Effective against those types) but rather how other types interact with it.

Eitherway, there's a reason why Grass, Fire, & Water is the most well known trinity. Honestly the only reason you'll ever talk about other trinity types is possible ones to combine with GFW so that you can either have the starters have a greater advantage against each other or give them a way to "counter" the other. So maybe when I have more time I'll try looking things that way and maybe that'll result in a dual-type trinity.

Though first what are the rules for a dual-type "perfect" trinity?

That's all the perfect monotype ones, though I certainly can think of some imperfect ones.

Dark/Psychic/Fighting
Rock/Grass/Ice
Electric/Ground/Water

And a four-type one:
Fairy/Poison/Psychic/Dark

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
To get it all clear, here are all the single-type "trinities" there are: (Warning: Color explosion below)

LEGEND:
(Type interaction going left/Type interaction going right)
"+" is super effective
"-" is resisted
"=" is neutral
"X" is immune
"Perfect" Trinities: (Types are super effective against one and resistant to the other)
Grass (-/+) Water (-/+) Fire (-/+) Grass*
Grass (-/+) Ground (-/+) Poison (-/+) Grass
Fire (-/+) Steel (-/+) Rock (-/+) Fire
Fighting (-/+) Rock (-/+) Flying (-/+) Fighting
*In addition the types resist themselves.

Other Trinities: (Only rule is that going one way the type is super effective against one other)
Grass (-/+) Ground (=/+) Fire (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (=/+) Bug (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (-/+) Fire (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (-/+) Flying (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (=/+) Ice (=/+) Grass
Water (=/+) Ground (X/+) Electric (=/+) Water
Fire (-/+) Ice (=/+) Ground (=/+) Fire
Fighting (-/+) Dark (X/+) Psychic (-/+) Fighting
Fighting
(=/+) Ice (=/+) Flying (-/+) Fighting
Fighting
(=/+) Steel (-/+) Fairy (-/+) Fighting
Ground (-/+) Steel (-/+) Ice (=/+) Ground
Ground
(=/+) Rock (=/+) Ice (=/+) Ground

Now there are even more trinities where the type simply has an advantage over another type (for example like Ground - Electric - Flying) but at that point I feel we're getting away from the focus of what a type trinity is suppose to be.

Trinity means three dude...and Ghost doesn't resist Psychic, it's neutral.
I think Kurona was replying to Phione who included a quad relation.

Last edited:
Well that's unfortunate. I thought I would've certainly overlooked something.

Though first what are the rules for a dual-type "perfect" trinity?
After posing the challenge, I realized that I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for myself. There are two things I'd suggest. Either an "overwhelming" trinity, where each of a pokemon's types are resistant to and effective against both of the weaker pokemon's types. Or you could go for a "balanced" trinity where, between each pokemon, one of the types holds a perfect advantage over only one of the opponent's types, while the other type is at a disadvantage to the other type. On top of that complexity, each type would interact exclusively with one of the dual types, and not both. If at even possible.

For those who might be curious as a result of this thread: Unity (1) Duality/Binity (2) Trinity (3) Quadrality (4) and Quintinity (5).

Now I suppose all that is left for me to do is to choose good pure-type starter pokemon to fulfill the rolls. Sandslash-Arbok-Tangela anyone? Although Cherrim might be a more equitable grass choice for later generations. I'm gonna have fun with this.

And Pikachu315111: You weren't kidding about the color. Good chart.

Wouldn't it still be just as balanced as long as each type hits itself for the same effectiveness as the others? This way, the fighting/rock/flying would also count as all three are neutral to each other.

To get it all clear, here are all the single-type "trinities" there are: (Warning: Color explosion below)

"Perfect" Trinities: (Types are super effective against one and resistant to the other)
Grass (-/+) Water (-/+) Fire (-/+) Grass*
Grass (-/+) Ground (-/+) Poison (-/+) Grass
Fire (-/+) Steel (-/+) Rock (-/+) Fire
Fighting (-/+) Rock (-/+) Flying (-/+) Fighting
*In addition the types resist themselves.

Other Trinities: (Only rule is that going one way the type is super effective against one other)
Grass (-/+) Ground (=/+) Fire (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (=/+) Bug (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (-/+) Fire (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (-/+) Flying (-/+) Grass
Grass
(=/+) Rock (=/+) Ice (=/+) Grass
Water (=/+) Ground (X/+) Electric (=/+) Water
Fire (-/+) Ice (=/+) Ground (=/+) Fire
Fighting (-/+) Dark (X/+) Psychic (-/+) Fighting
Fighting
(=/+) Ice (=/+) Flying (-/+) Fighting
Fighting
(=/+) Steel (-/+) Fairy (-/+) Fighting
Ground (-/+) Steel (-/+) Ice (=/+) Ground

Now there are even more trinities where the type simply has an advantage over another type (for example like Ground - Electric - Flying) but at that point I feel we're getting away from the focus of what a type trinity is suppose to be.
You missed Ice/Ground/Rock for the other ones.

Also, I'm running some code to look at all the possible dual-type trios. I'll edit this post with the result once it finishes executing (which may take a while as it has many combinations to check. It thinks it has seen many combinations that work, but it may have a mistake in the code.

EDIT: I just noticed, what exactly counts as a balanced rock/paper/scissors-like trio of dual types isn't clearly defined. What exactly counts? Depending on the answer, it could be that my number of almost 40,000 is exact, or I could have been too loose with the requirements.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)