ORAS UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toxicing Umbreon sounds like a horrible idea, since it just poisons you as well while it can carry Heal Bell. Porygon is also pressured horribly by Heracross, who can just Knock Off its Eviolite first if it doesn't want to KO with Close Combat. And Porygon NEVER wants to take a Knock Off, especially against CB Krook, who then 2HKOs with Earthquake when it switches out. Alternately, if you've already taken ~30%, you just get 2HKO'd by Knock Off after Rocks since, even though it no longer gets the item boost, it does 50% more damage anyway because you lost Eviolite. Not to poo-poo on other stuff P2 can do since it's a decent wall to other Pokemon, but it should never be eating a Knock Off unless you have absolutely no other alternative.

Toxicing Umbreon sounds like a horrible idea, since it just poisons you as well while it can carry Heal Bell. Porygon is also pressured horribly by Heracross, who can just Knock Off its Eviolite first if it doesn't want to KO with Close Combat. And Porygon NEVER wants to take a Knock Off, especially against CB Krook, who then 2HKOs with Earthquake when it switches out. Alternately, if you've already taken ~30%, you just get 2HKO'd by Knock Off after Rocks since, even though it no longer gets the item boost, it does 50% more damage anyway because you lost Eviolite. Not to poo-poo on other stuff P2 can do since it's a decent wall to other Pokemon, but it should never be eating a Knock Off unless you have absolutely no other alternative.
I said already, Fighting-types and mons with Knock Off isnt a good idea. And yes, Umbreon was a dumb example, I forgot about that, but regardless, my opinion stays.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I said already, Fighting-types and mons with Knock Off isnt a good idea. And yes, Umbreon was a dumb example, I forgot about that, but regardless, my opinion stays.
I agree, Pory is the most reliable counter to Mence as nothing it carries is gonna stop Pory from Ice Beaming it and watching that health bar drop all the way to 0. TWave is also really good right now, being able to cripple stuff like Mega Aero. Overall, solid mon but the fighting type weakness probably leaves it at a solid B for me.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would argue cresselia is more reliable because leftovers+stats means it's bulkier and it still has ice beam.
While you're right there, Cresselia is even more vulnerable to the Knock Off users in the tier. It also can be Pursuit trapped to weaken it for Mence later. Both are really solid answers though.

While you're right there, Cresselia is even more vulnerable to the Knock Off users in the tier. It also can be Pursuit trapped to weaken it for Mence later. Both are really solid answers though.
ehhh idk about this tbh. Cress is possibly less weak to knock off, because it can live knock offs usually, and moonlight, giving it the ability to carry on as a mence check/counter later on, while P2 losing eviolite can make it no longer an answer.

just sayin

I am just saying that Cresselia is fine to me, but its recovery is a small bit lackluster to me. Having 8 PP Moonlight is like, not great, seeing Toxic will not wear opponents down in 8-turns. Recover is way more reliable (more PP, not effected by the /rare/ abomasnow) and Trace is actually better against Mence / Krook 1v1, because you Trace intimidate and lower their Attack. Furthermore, P2 has slightly superior offensive presence

0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Krookodile: 180-214 (54.3 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Cresselia Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Krookodile: 136-162 (41 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Cresselia: 63.5 - 74.7% + 42.3 - 50.4% = Guaranteed 2HKO
Poryogn2: 30.4 - 36% + 30.7 - 36.3% = not ever a 2HKO, it at times even avoids the 3HKO.

While the difference is rather small, in this case, Krookodile isn't 2HKOed by Cresselia, which means it gotta take a lot of damaage from Knock off, which 2hkoes, and it is forced to switch after or recover. While Porygon2 2HKOs only, if you hit it, Krook will be locked into Knock off and since it isn't SE, Porygon2 will be able to take the next one while regaining some damage to Recover until it has enough HP.

So, Porygon2 is slightly bulkier and has superior offensive presence. The only benefit Cresselia has that it is less item-reliant, a small bit better typing, and to an extent, Levitate? Trace and levitate both have their advantages.

Regardless, I think P2 belongs in B rank.

About rock head Tyrantrum, I was wondering what the best place for it would be. I was considering B-/B as though its speed leaves less to be desired (it sucks that I need to run jolly on the rp set so i can beat scarf mienshao and i believe scarf ape as well) and it's typing is in some ways a double edged sword (shiting on the bothersome crobat is cool and taking on things like entei is sweet though burn is a bitch, forcing tyrantrum to run lum on the rp set if it wants to set up on entei, but tyrantrum unfortunately has weaknesses to the common dragon, ice, ground, and fighting attacks) along with somewhat (below) average bulk (m-pidgeot can not be switched into easily for example), it's rp set can still demolish offense. Not to mention that banded tyrantrum really puts the pressure on stall with 150/120 powerful STAB moves. Haven't tested other sets though as dd/scarf doesn't really work well with the mediocre speed and I desire more than the two STABs if running dual dance with bulky steels running around. Overall, I think rock head tyrantrum is certainly decent in the tier.

Last edited:

Hariyana Grande [old]

Banned deucer.
Regular sharpest b rank?

Honestly Ive never seen a sharpe do that didn't end up being mega, but regular sharpedo doesn't seem like it would be that bad.

I'm not asking for a rise or drop in its rank, but rather asking the question of is it actually competetively viable.

Although this may seem obvious sense it's a b rank, I'm not sure how it actually works like I said, since I haven't seen it.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
LO Sharpedo has been and still is more than viable in this meta, especially when you want a cleaner while freeing up the mega slot. In addition, its speed boosts are almost necessary in order for it to actually play a cleaning role as a mega.

Anyways, I have officially requested that someone else take over the reins of this VR (most likely Meru but ib93/kink will probably be more heavily involved too) since I feel like my activity right now hasn't warranted maintaining as the main head of this. They will come out with the next overhaul of updates :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)