How much more can our planet take

Very doubtful that FTL travel is possible at all.
I dunno, my view on it is, given how naive it is to assume we're the only lifeforms in the universe, I also think it's just as naive to assume that light can't be beaten in speed. We've only known and observe physics for something less than a thousand years or so, there's so much we still don't know and to me, you can only theorize and postulate so much. And yet they're almost self limiting creativity in a way based on the theories of varying guys who've collectively been dead for a few hundred years who say that it couldn't be done during their lifetimes.

And eh, if it is truly impossible, time to look at wormholes or star gates.

I dunno, my view on it is, given how naive it is to assume we're the only lifeforms in the universe, I also think it's just as naive to assume that light can't be beaten in speed. We've only known and observe physics for something less than a thousand years or so, there's so much we still don't know and to me, you can only theorize and postulate so much. And yet they're almost self limiting creativity in a way based on the theories of varying guys who've collectively been dead for a few hundred years who say that it couldn't be done during their lifetimes.

And eh, it is truly impossible, time to look at wormholes or star gates.
Based on our current understanding of physics: if information can travel faster than the speed of light, it certainly does not do it in nature, and if there is some way to do it, it would not be a good thing/would have very bad consequences from what I understand.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I think that humans are to Earth as parasite is to host, generally speaking.
However Earth is a far less passive host than a flea infested dog. The human race on Earth has a very finite timeframe to figure out what to do in order to survive, the Earth will remain even after the time of humans has passed.

I don't think the human race is facing extinction by our mistreatment of the environment, but more so from the blatant stupidity of the "modern" paradigm of thought. We were all raised to be compliant workers who should value nothing else more than the material things which we are constantly bombarded with by the corporation owned media. Plus, the corporate owned government always telling us what we need and who we should be. The platonic family structure is being decimated daily, as is any sense of morality and individualism. It's a grim picture to look at, but it's not because of carbon dioxide. Earth is polluted by humans first and the by-products of those humans are more or less irrelevant at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This may have been discussed before but I'd like to bring up the topic of the realistic outcomes the world has going for it at the moment. What I mean is that the world is running low on carbon fuels and anti-biotics.
We actually aren't really running that low, fact of the matter is that we have plenty of accessible fossil fuels for at least the next 200 years. The reason most people are worried about it right now is because of the fact that there is a bunch of politics surrounding the fuel market and so our access can become restricted at certain points due to other countries trying to drive up the price (or lower it). On top of this it was only recently (relatively speaking) announced that we will run out of fossil fuels, just not with in our lifetimes.
The world looks bleak from where we're standing right now. The lack of natural resources is starting to put a strain on the world economy and gas emissions are at an all time high in China. The air is toxic in heavily industrialized areas of the world forcing many residents to cover their faces before they go outside. It's only a matter of time before we run out of oil and then what? What's next? How exactly are we supposed to maintain the economy without the use of oil and other carbon based products? There's a very simple answer, we can't.
Actually we can, there are various other ways to produce energy. The reason that they aren't our main point of consumption is because they aren't cheaply produced like coal energy is. Also isn't the mask a form of hygiene? I thought it was to prevent the spreading of diseases when you are sick, so if you cough then you aren't getting your bacteria over everyone.
When the final oil wells finally tap out war will break out in an effort to keep the remaining resources in their respective countries and attack other nations withholding the oil. Once that's all gone our entire infrastructure will collapse and the entire world will be in chaos. Without oil our world cannot function. Alternative methods of power generation are not nearly as effective as burning oil and fossil fuels. Without oil our entire world will collapse around us.
Wars are already being fought over oil and other natural resources, in fact wars have been fought all the way back to the first known civilizations over natural resources. War is nothing new. Also isn't saying that the world will collapse without oil a bit melodramatic of you?
If that wasn't bad enough bacteria are starting to get tricky and now we're literally running out of possible anti-biotics. The sheer fact bacteria can multiply every 20 minutes means that they are constantly becoming more and more immune to the things that could have previously stopped them before. Leaving us heavily exposed to certain diseases that 20 years before could have easily been treated. With the possibility of wiping out a huge chunk of the population.
The simple fact is that we overuse antibiotics, if you can avoid using them you probably should. The more we use them the more resistant bacteria becomes to them, as well as putting strain on your liver and body. Also you are grossly over exaggerating what the disease will do to countries who actually have healthcare, they can take care of it. Yah poor countries will be fucked when disease runs rampant, but then again thats always been the case through out history.
Humanity's survival looks bleak but I'm curious to know what you all think could possibly come of our future?
It doesn't really look to bleak, sure there are problems to be solved, but as long as humanity actually tries to solve those problems we'll probably have a decent enough future. However, we'll really be fucked when the sun engulfs the earth.
As far as I'm concerned, China has invested a large amount on renewable resources, especially Wind Power.
There has been plans of a large wind farm in some valley in Xinjiang. (That valley is known for its high wind speed, that's why they chose there)
While wind power is a nice way to get energy, it isn't exactly efficient. You need the wind to be constantly blowing as well as the fact that the huge turbines take up tons of space. Also China made that dam, which ended up cutting off water from a bunch of ppl (but thats a whole other can of worms).
It's people from USA who needs to stop their wasteful lifestyle, not China.
I agree that people from the US need to stop wasting so much, but the whole world can improve.
ALSO... laughs... air pollution in China isn't to do with carbon emissions-- it has nothing to do with global warming. Wrong gas, dude. As long as you aren't living in China, their air pollution has nothing to do with you.
Actually, China produces a ton of green house gasses that do affect global warming. Not sure about where china stands on the carbon emissions compared to everyone else, but the release of greenhouse gasses into the atmoshpere also affects global warming. CO2 is just one of the gasses that will reflect the sun rays back at the earth.
China shouldn't be considered the anti-Christ in this environmental crisis; in many regards they should be considered the rolemodel. Sure, they do a lot of shit wrong but we are jointly responsible for a lot of their shortcomings and would do well to remember that.
Yah, China actually has "clean coal" while the US still refuses to change over (coal companies won't open a new power plant unless they can ensure it will be profitable within 3 yrs, they need more time to research clean coal in the US so its not happening anytime soon). Their energy is far ahead of the US's, but the bad stigma assosiacted with China is how they achieve these results, so a lot of things are often misconstrued when looking at China.

--

My thoughts are that while the world is at a turning point, where certain situations can become problematic within the future, but right now countries have the ability to problem solve and work on all of the problems that have been brought up. There will be a point where that is no longer possible, but we still have at least 50 yrs before thats hit for issues like global warming. If people work on these problems and solve them than all of the "chaos" can be avoided or dealt with if a solution is worked on now.

On a side note: its mostly all of the easily accessible coal and oil that is being used up. So those companies are going to have to spend more on getting fossil fuels, but there are still lots of places where there are known to be fossil fuels but they aren't being extracted due to being more expensive than other places.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Kind of interesting you are comfortable calling humanity garbage in the same breath you condemn us for not caring enough about each other.
I was really sleepy when I wrote that reply and it is a bit convoluted. I'm human too so it's not my intention to condemn any of us. I just wanted to make people aware that it won't be our pollution that will be the end for us but instead the lack of respect for life in general, including ourselves.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The title suits it, at least I feel that way.
Except that you're wrong and Oglemi's right. As many have said, the earth dgaf what we do-- "nature" (as in life on earth) dgaf either. Nothing man has does comes even close to the catastrophes and die-offs that life on earth has overcome countless times before. All the nuclear weapons in the world combine amount to only the tiniest fraction of the power in the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs.

The title should be more like, "How much more until life starts sucking?"

Bacteria evolve to overcome antibiotics, but plants, animals, and all other life forms have evolved with them constantly. Bacteria don't evolve with the purpose of killing other creatures, and the most successful parasites are the ones that don't kill their hosts. It's true that antibiotics are becoming increasingly less effective-- but what's at stake is not the world or even the survival of humanity (since we have been evolving alongside virus/bacteria constantly as well). What is at stake is our way of life-- our expectation to easily live long lives and eat lot of cheap meat.

For carbon emissions as well-- it's not like the planet hasn't thrived in its history with much higher levels of carbon dioxide. It's not like the earth hasn't been way way way hotter in its history. It's not like the world hasn't been hot enough in its past to allow dragonflies to grow to the size of eagles and cold blooded reptiles to grow into 30 ft crocs and 50 ft pythons... oh wait, all that actually happened. Even for us humans, adapting to a hot world with no fossil fuels would be no problemo as a species. What's at stake is our way of life.

All that said, I like being nice and comfy, having a nice long life expectancy, and eating lots of meat, so these are definitely serious issues.

As others have said though, it's likely that government policies won't be the answer here... at least not the whole answer. Rather it really will be technology that finds a solution, or rather smarter systems and policies to enforce them along with scientific breakthroughs that get us anywhere.

Last edited:
Because either
A. you're a child / immature adult who doesn't truly grasp his mortality or the worth of human life and thus thinks it's cool/edgy to say he wishes the destruction of his species.

B. you're a sociopath. and no, it's not cool to be a sociopath.
If someone's life is bad they could also be projecting outwardly. Perhaps they find it poetic since those people don't exist yet, it's rare even the most empathetic people care about those suffering in the 3rd world because of monkey sphere. I don't know. No reason the answer has to dismiss their character.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
my feels on this thread:

"In this forgetting of what is scarcely past, one senses the fury of the one who must talk their self out of what everyone else knows, before they can talk them out of it."

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One more thing that I wanted to add to this thread that has always bothered me-- the stupid focus on whether climate change is "man made" or not.

Opposition to emission control don't deny that the Earth is getting warmer (except for stupid people pointing out the "cooling trends" within the much much larger trend of increasing temperature). Neither do they deny the massive consequences of increasing heat-- immense damage to communities, crops, and people's livelihoods around the world (you know, until enough coastal cities are destroyed and until people adapt their cultures and ways of life to the new climate conditions...).

So-- who gives a fuck if the heat is man made or not? What's the point in arguing that we're not to blame? Fact is the world is getting hotter. Whether it's our fault or not seems pretty damn secondary to fixing it imo.

The planet can take anything bar mars colliding with it or something. Heck, life will survive even if bombarded by a huge asteroid. The human race will survive probably in spite of some minor cataclysm, it has before and it can do it again.

Or civilization? I give it 1000 years max before it crumbles under its own weight.

The planet can take anything bar mars colliding with it or something. Heck, life will survive even if bombarded by a huge asteroid. The human race will survive probably in spite of some minor cataclysm, it has before and it can do it again.

Or civilization? I give it 1000 years max before it crumbles under its own weight.
Do you mean another Dark Age? Or something even worse, which humanity couldn't recover from?

Do you mean another Dark Age? Or something even worse, which humanity couldn't recover from?
Yeah, but you have to remember the Dark ages was a localized event, cross the Mediterranean Sea and you would of found a thriving Caliphate.

No, any crash in today's world would end up being global with very very little surviving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)