General What brought you to Smogon?

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Been on Smogon for a little more than a year now, and lurked for a roughly a year before that. But here's how I regretfully found Smogon.

In my freshman year summer, I had a frighteningly large amount of free time so I thought, "I'm going to waste my time playing Pokemon and become the best player possible". I took such extreme measures to reach this goal, that I even start working with my dad detailing cars' interiors, just so I could purchase the most up-to-date Pokemon training gear, a DSL Lite (Has a GBA cartridge slot so I can migrate my childhood Gen3 mons and shinies duh), and a HeartGold version (to transfer all of those said mons duh).

So I played through the game, beat the Gym leaders, and the Elite four, and then started IV breeding OP mons like Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Lucario, Metagross, and Tyranitar; but, I foolishly underestimated the RNG which never gave me any flawless pokes (but it did troll me with a 31 / 21 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 Jolly Garchomp).

After becoming unsuccessful of IV breeding, I looked for new methods. I researched into RNG manipulating, but that was proven to be even more difficult than IV breeding because all of that parameters / seeds / frames bullshit was not my forte, so; flawless, unbeatable pokemon became but mere abstract.

So I just accepted it. I was done with my pokemon career. I looked back onto my accomplishments, including, a less than 10 hour play through of Sapphire version; conquering of Mt. Battle in Pokemon Colosseum for my Modest Ho-Oh (a total win at the time); beating both Myth Trainers, Inity and Infin, of Orre Colosseum in Battle Mode; more than 10 shinies, three of which are soft-reset overworld mons; a completed National Pokédex™ in Gen3; and roughly 2000 hours of in-game play. I rested satisfied with my accomplishments.

But short lived. Like a former drug addict experiencing withdrawal symptoms, I yearned for Pokemon. But I was not going to return to the hopeless void of in-game play. And for some odd reason, it crossed my mind that I could join competitive Pokemon with Smogon, but how I could 'compete', per sé, baffled me because I had no flawless pokemon to compete with! There had to be another way. But one glorious day, I glanced upon the most relieving words I have ever read, found on the left-hand side of the Smogon home page: "Battle Simulator". I clicked it, and watched a simulator behold before my very eyes.

Surely enough, after playing OU and realizing it was cancer (this was gen 5 at the time, and my favorite playstyle, rain, became overly centralizing and deterred me from using it), I joined Ubers, as little Ducky209, and slowly began to hone my skills as a player by playing continuous matches on the ladder.

And I've been hooked ever since. These days I've drifted away from Ubers back to OU, but I did have the privilege of playing XY Ubers top-to-bottom, through thick and thin, and innovated quite a few nifty stuff such as Tailwind+SpecsOgre on a HO build to check Geomancy Xerneas; and, I also innovated Taunt+SR Offensive Heatran on Sticky Web. I'm not particularly the player I used to be, but I still call Ubers home and hopefully I can muster the will to fully return to it someday. As of now I'm trying to establish myself as an OU player, with tough going, but I enjoy how diverse Teambuilding can be in the tier, similar to how things were in XY Ubers.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

mags

Banned deucer.
my friend showed me showdown and i loved it. I was super bad when i first started and i mean super super bad. I never realized they changed the way attack and spa worked. i always thought it was the typing like it was in gen 3 and below so i was a total noob. after playing a lot of matches on the ladderi know how to play with hyper offense and balance but the last few months ive tied to make stall teams. I have never taken an oras or xy team from smogon and ive created all the teams ive used. Stall has been tricky for me but i find it fun so i keep trying it on the ladder and thats why i lose so many games lol. sooner or later i'll be good at stall and then ill make a new account and try to actually win on the ladder as much as i can. wish me luck!

When I bought XY, it was the first time that a lot of my friends had the game as well, and they always beat me in battles. Determined to prove myself, I looked up good movesets on various websites until I found Smogon and never looked back. The forums are great, the environment here is far more laid back than other Pokemon forums I've been a part of, and Smogon is an indispensable resource for competitive battling.

I've always been interested in Pokemon, and then came a summer where I could procrastinate a lot, and that very summer was the one leading up to the release of XY. I watched some other Youtube videos too. I lacked a DS/3DS, but my friend showed me emulation, and so I played through Gen 3 and 4. I found PS when after I wanted to find a place where I could play against other people, not just AI. And through that, I found Smogon. I was a guest lurker for sometime, but now I have registered! In the future I plan on furthering my skills and eventually contribute to this great community.

What brought me to smogon? A while back I learned of pokemon showdown (it was the 1st I had heard of competitive pokemon, though I had been a casual player for years). I started to play competitive, then eventually started trying to learn more, and a friend told me I should check out smogon for teams and whatnot, so here I am.

I first learned about competitive Pokemon years ago when Pokemon diamond and pearl came out. my cousin introduced me to it( he also introduced me to the franchise when I was a kid and gave me blue version) but IV and EV getting was so complicated and tedious and I just didn't do it. gen 5 made it a little easier but the meta game was so bad back then in my opinion because it was just weather wars and dragon spam and nothing else I HATED IT! but then gen six rolled around and made training so easy and balanced the game play so much I had to go in. I stumbled upon the battle simulator you guys had and have been on it for a long time and decided to just make an account. ironically my cousin stopped playing competitively after gen four ended.

I was brought here after skipping around on PS thinking that I knew what I was doing when I actually didn't. I came here hoping to make some friends and actually learn how to battle Competitively.

I came to Smogon because I have been playing on Showdown for a while now and feel like it is time I got deeper into the community as a whole. I consider options and sets most of my time anyways, so why not share with and learn more from others?

I joined back in 2010. It was a combination of three things:
1) I wanted to join a Pokémon community anyway (actually the least important at the time but has been a major factor. The sheer amount of time spent in Orange Islands says it all).
2) I needed help on my team in Pokémon Stadium so I could beat both Prime Cup and Gym Leader Castle.
3) At the time, Black and White was on the horizon. Back then, I didn't EV train. It was hard enough to get the moves I wanted onto my Pokémon thanks to one-time use TMs, so I just didn't bother. After the announcement that TMs were now infinite use, I decided to try to EV train. I posted my first attempt at a competitive team on the Pojo forum and, well, it sucked. Bad. One person there recommended I come here. The rest is history.

I've been watching "The Dex VS" with Pokekellz and Alex on Youtube. They were using the program Pokémon Showdown to battle online, with a bunch of theme teams and all sorts of silliness - I thought that looked fun and I wanted to start playing! I'm still awful at it, despite having played the game since I was a little kid, but here's to improving in the future with practice.

Joined because I wanted to learn about competitive battling, stuff like that. Also joined because there are a lot of people here who can trade or battle with me.

Well.
I always played pokemon, so it made sense to take it further. I heard of Smogon from watching Tamashii Hiroka, so I decided to lurk and team-build. I tested some teams, all of which have noticeable problems, but other than that I stayed very quiet.

Then I saw Smeargle's Studio.

I was hooked, and I made an account so I can try to fit in and participate.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Didn't know this was here until now :(

I came here looking for good movesets for Pokemon Emerald (after Pokemon of the Day Chick stopped writing :() and after a while discovered the forums. Lurked around in gen 4, and got into NU when Shoddy was still around. When gen 5 came around, I finally dived into NU for real, but I didn't post in NU I actually made my first posts in the RMT forums, not making any but actually rating NU teams. I wasn't actively trying to enter the community, I just wanted to help and eventually it just spiraled further (not that I'm too integrated with the community at large, but w.e.)

I got into Smogon because of CAP and Smeargle. CAP particularly seemed interesting back before Mollux was finished, so I lurked for a year or two until I finally understood what was going on. By the time I joined, Cawmodore's main process was almost finished.

Well I've known about Smogon for about a millennium but I never joined because I thought it was just a strategy database for online play and I never breed. Ever. Anyway, one day I thought to myself "Gee, I wish I could play pokemon online!" and eventually found PS!. Then when I heard PS! was part of smogon, I went to smogon to copy the strategies take suggestions from the strategy pokedex. then a long time after finding out about the chat rooms on PS!, I found out about the forums on Smogon and made this account. and then a few months later A.K.A. today, I started doing stuff on these forums

Been playing Pokemon almost my whole life.. Had friends that mentioned Smogon all the time so I thought I'd check it out... Really got me into competitive battling.

Been "Forum Surfing" lately to try out some new strategies. :P

I got poked into making an account by Hydrattler, who tends to be a bit of a meany to me sometimes. But is also nice other times.
Besides, it gives me somewhere else to poke about when I have nothing else to do.

I started competitively battling when my friend started to use a team using all FEAR, this was when I started to make strategies other than "this pokemon looks cool". Pretty soon my friend started to use some things to deal with my things, I used new things and the cycle continued. It basically was a nuclear arms race of strategy. Eventually we learned about EV training, then IV breeding. We agreed to ban some pokemon because some pokemon where OP. Around that time in BW we found smogon and decided to use that as the banlist. It wasn't until recently when I have ever posted here, and I still lurk a lot.

What brought me to smogon?....Hmmm......Oh yes!I remembered- 'POKEMON'.Acc.to me if you love pokemon you gotta be on smogon.Also the B101 is a cool thing that lures people to smogon!

I've been around since the release of Diamond and Pearl, which brought me back into the series from RBY. I had friends who played competitively. This encouraged me to make an account (not that I ever post in the forums, but hey).

That said, I tend to go on year-long hiatuses between games. Fighting games and such tend to compete heavily for my attention.

I came here because I got referred to the Pokemon Online simulator by someone in this thread. Being the edgy 12 year old I was I picked the second most popular server, which happened to be Smogon. The rest is history.

Reactions: pj
what brought me here are the movesets and EV spreads,then I started getting involved in pokemon showdown ,then finally I'm here.

I just today realized how unbalanced VGC is.
Sooo here I am!
not necesarily, VGC tournaments are pretty balanced

skylight edit: please stop double/triple posting or you'll be officially warned thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)