Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what partners do you like to use with tyrantrum? offensive partners that can pressure your checks or defensive partners that help cover your weaknesses?

I've had some success with M-venusaur, venu loves anyone who can cover his flying weakness and tyrantrum loves a partner that can deal with keldeo and fairy types.
So far Mega-Venusaur, Talonflame, and Scizor (both mega and non mega) seem like very good partners. Sadly i haven't been able to find anyone else.

Out of the three mentioned i think talonflame has the best type synergy and move pool to compliment Tyrantrum. Something like the specially defensive bulk up variant with bravebird taunt and roost can shut down and set up on things like heatran, ferrothorn, and clefable.

So far Mega-Venusaur, Talonflame, and Scizor (both mega and non mega) seem like very good partners. Sadly i haven't been able to find anyone else.

Out of the three mentioned i think talonflame has the best type synergy and move pool to compliment Tyrantrum. Something like the specially defensive bulk up variant with bravebird taunt and roost can shut down and set up on things like heatran, ferrothorn, and clefable.
Magnezone to get rid of Ferror and Scizor.

So what partners do you like to use with tyrantrum? offensive partners that can pressure your checks or defensive partners that help cover your weaknesses?

I've had some success with M-venusaur, venu loves anyone who can cover his flying weakness and tyrantrum loves a partner that can deal with keldeo and fairy types.
Mega Charizard Y

dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but your best bet for coverage is probably head smash / earthquake / fire fang, not head smash / earthquake / ice fang or head smash / earthquake / outrage. almost anything ice fang bops is a 2hko that head smash gets anyway, and fire fang is good for ferrothorn not walling you to hell and back.

dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but your best bet for coverage is probably head smash / earthquake / fire fang, not head smash / earthquake / ice fang or head smash / earthquake / outrage. almost anything ice fang bops is a 2hko that head smash gets anyway, and fire fang is good for ferrothorn not walling you to hell and back.
I'd have to disagree. Besides Ferro and Bronzog, nothing notable gets hit harder by Fangs then Outrage and both of those mons get wrecked by Magnezone. I'd rather use Mag to trap than have random stuff like Gastrodon stop me

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fire Fang also hits (Mega) Scizor, which you can potentially survive a Bullet Punch from.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 278-330 (90.8 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Rocks guarantee the OHKO and you'd have to be really ballsy to stay in on it, so Magnezone is probably better.

I'd have to disagree. Besides Ferro and Bronzog, nothing notable gets hit harder by Fangs then Outrage and both of those mons get wrecked by Magnezone. I'd rather use Mag to trap than have random stuff like Gastrodon stop me
you dont really want to be locked into outrage to begin with when head smash is a 2hko on almost all the same things outrage is, barring bulky ground types not named lando-t or gliscor

also the only shot that outrage has a chance to ohko gastrodon with is adamant 252 with life orb at +1 after
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 364-430 (85.4 - 100.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
and even then the odds arent in your favor

imo if you arent using a choice band set to break walls vs slower bulky teams, tyrantrum is a really bad pokemon to have locked into outrage because it becomes incredibly easy to revenge kill

Alright there are 2 reasons this things is going to be uu
1 even at plus one speed with d dance it does not outspeed common threts like latios and keldo
2 have fun with fero when your only fire move is fire fang

Alright there are 2 reasons this things is going to be uu
1 even at plus one speed with d dance it does not outspeed common threts like latios and keldo
2 have fun with fero when your only fire move is fire fang
Are you sure you have the right Pokemon? +1 Adamant Tyrantrum hits 361 Speed, which not only outspeeds Latios and Keldeo, it speed ties with Starmie. Jolly Tyrantrum even beats even faster things such as Tornadus-T and Alakazam/Sceptile/Aerodactyl pre-Mega. Not to mention that Dragon Dance isn't even likely to be Tyrantrum's flagship set anyway. Choice Band looks way better because you can just get in and spam ridiculously powerful Head Smashes and punish anything that doesn't resist them, and even Rock Polish is more appealing since Tyrantrum outspeeds nearly everything at +2 and can OHKO so many offensive Pokemon with Head Smash, making it a huge threat against some offensive teams. Also:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 129-152 (36.6 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 300-356 (85.2 - 101.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Have fun switching your Ferrothorn consistently into hits like that.

you dont really want to be locked into outrage to begin with when head smash is a 2hko on almost all the same things outrage is, barring bulky ground types not named lando-t or gliscor

also the only shot that outrage has a chance to ohko gastrodon with is adamant 252 with life orb at +1 after
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 364-430 (85.4 - 100.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
and even then the odds arent in your favor

imo if you arent using a choice band set to break walls vs slower bulky teams, tyrantrum is a really bad pokemon to have locked into outrage because it becomes incredibly easy to revenge kill
I think this does a great job of showing that gastrodon walls you pretty hard no matter what you do, so that's someone to watch for.

But spamming outrage isn't terrible, spamming head smash is undoubtedly better, but STAB outrage is 180BP while fire fang is 130BP at x2 SE. At x4 it's 260BP but only a handful of pokemon are hit x4 SE by fire fang and aren't at least neutral to 225BP head smash (ferrothorn is pretty much it). dragon is less resisted so it can more consistently be thrown around.
you do have to keep in mind that you can't just outrage while fairy or steel types are still alive, but that seems kinda straight forward.

on the grounds of rock polish vs dragon dance, I'll use the argument I saw for double dance Char-X. you tailwind against faster teams and swords dance against bulky teams. when you need to outspeed fast mons rock polish is better, but if your opponent has some bulky mons the extra power is better. it's a meta call.

I've never used choice band so all I'll say is I'm not a fan of locking myself into one move when I've got great neutral coverage. Can't deny that power though.

Last edited:
I think this does a great job of showing that gastrodon walls you pretty hard no matter what you do, so that's someone to watch for.

But spamming outrage isn't terrible, spamming head smash is undoubtedly better, but STAB outrage is 180BP while fire fang is 130BP at x2 SE. At x4 it's 260BP but only a handful of pokemon are hit x4 SE by fire fang and aren't at least neutral to 225BP head smash (ferrothorn is pretty much it). dragon is less resisted so it can more consistently be thrown around.
you do have to keep in mind that you can't just outrage while fairy or steel types are still alive, but that seems kinda straight forward.

on the grounds of rock polish vs dragon dance, I'll use the argument I saw for double dance Char-X. you tailwind against faster teams and swords dance against bulky teams. when you need to outspeed fast mons rock polish is better, but if your opponent has some bulky mons the extra power is better. it's a meta call.

I've never used choice band so all I'll say is I'm not a fan of locking myself into one move when I've got great neutral coverage. Can't deny that power though.
this is pretty much my line of thinking. rather have more blanket coverage than hitting 2 or 3 mons stronger, especially when someone else can remove them. then again, i always planned on using mag as a partner for ttrum so my bias might be kicking in.

as far as sets, choice band or rock polish + life orb are the two that make sense to me. what is everyone elses thoughts?

Magnezone trapping stuff like Ferro and Bronzong is great for Tyrantrum, but I wouldn't really worry about Gastrodon as no one even uses that thing anymore lol.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The main reason why I don't really know how well this thing can perform in OU is the prevalence of ground types and in particular Hippowdon.

A DD set sounds really fun, ngl, but it reminds me of a less bulky Mega TTar, which doesn't really do well in the current metagame, even if Tyrantrum has its advantage over TTar in its higher damage output + ability to hold either Life Orb or Lum Berry. But eeh, if running Life Orb to actually get past walls, Tyrantrum will be easier to revenge kill with priority after a few hits, while if running Lum Berry it will be able to set up on weak Scalds and status moves but its power won't be that great, while Adamant Life Orb... :

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 341-403 (86.5 - 102.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 272-320 (84.2 - 99%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock -> actually kinda relevant because it means that, with a bit of prior damage, you won't have to be locked into Outrage and you can actually avoid the Superpower drop, even if the miss chance sucks
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 356-421 (101.1 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As great as these calcs look, another issue is that Adamant may not actually be viable as it gets revenge killed by Scarf TTar at +1 which is not ideal, so Life Orb may actually still not be enough for this thing to actually break through bulkier teams.

So meh, CB may be the best way to go, which kind of sucks because it actually requires prediction, as Head Smash is not that spammable due to Ferrothorn and bulky grounds that take little damage from it, while Outrage actually 2HKOes the standard Hippo but is not easy to spam either for obvious reasons.

(Also idk why we're bringing up Gastrodon specifically when Quagsire exists)

Reactions: AM

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Outrage is going to be an option for Banded Tyrantrum:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 196-232 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 70.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I can see this being paired with Scizor, Gengar, Bisharp, or another decent Fairy killer. It would also be immense with Tailwind/Para support.

Anyone consider Jolly CB over Adamant to outspeed non-boosted Dragonite (which actually gets OHKO'd through Multiscale by Head Smash), Mew that only aim to outspeed positive nature base 70s, Breloom (Mach Punch though), practically all Gliscor barring SubToxic, and most importantly, Jolly Bisharp?

The only 2HKO you really miss out on is a roll on Outrage vs a fully physically defensive Hippowdon, which not many people run in OU over the mixed wall set. Plus Hippo is easily worn down by Spikes and T-Spikes, so it might be something worthwhile in exchange for some damage output.

DD jolly tyrantrum at +1 with life orb and without:
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 452-534 (132.5 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 348-411 (102 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
RP adamant tyrantrum with life orb and without:
252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 333-394 (97.6 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 256-303 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

jolly tyrantrum at +1 hits 397 speed, adamant tyrantrum +2 hits 482 speed.

jolly without life orb at +1 out damages adamant with life orb (big surprise but I wanted to do the calcs anyway) meaning that you'll have much fewer mons that can switch in to you. at 397 speed you out sped 130's with a + nature (again, already been said but I just wanted to calc it for myself). so basically you only get out sped by 6 mega pokemon (lopunny, manectric, sceptile, alakazam, beedrill and aerodactyl) and choice scarf users (I won't claim to know every choice scarf user or their abundance in the meta) after a DD. this means that DD tyrantrum can get away with not running life orb to run lefties or a berry making it less vulnerable to revenge killing, while still having a significant punch and only having to worry about a handful of mons being faster. since it's unlikely that your opponent will be running more than one (two at the most? I've never seen three or more) scarfers it's just a matter of eliminating them with good partners. I would also like to state that while rare, situations may arise where a second dance is possible, but a second polish is essentially useless.
Because of all this I believe that DD is better against most teams than RP.

DD jolly tyrantrum at +1 with life orb and without:
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 452-534 (132.5 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 348-411 (102 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
RP adamant tyrantrum with life orb and without:
252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 333-394 (97.6 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 256-303 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

jolly tyrantrum at +1 hits 397 speed, adamant tyrantrum +2 hits 482 speed.

jolly without life orb at +1 out damages adamant with life orb (big surprise but I wanted to do the calcs anyway) meaning that you'll have much fewer mons that can switch in to you. at 397 speed you out sped 130's with a + nature (again, already been said but I just wanted to calc it for myself). so basically you only get out sped by 6 mega pokemon (lopunny, manectric, sceptile, alakazam, beedrill and aerodactyl) and choice scarf users (I won't claim to know every choice scarf user or their abundance in the meta) after a DD. this means that DD tyrantrum can get away with not running life orb to run lefties or a berry making it less vulnerable to revenge killing, while still having a significant punch and only having to worry about a handful of mons being faster. since it's unlikely that your opponent will be running more than one (two at the most? I've never seen three or more) scarfers it's just a matter of eliminating them with good partners. I would also like to state that while rare, situations may arise where a second dance is possible, but a second polish is essentially useless.
Because of all this I believe that DD is better against most teams than RP.
stone plate might be another option if you ran DD since all you want to do is spam head smash and its possible to bluff CB with stone plate then setup a DD later.

after trying it out a bit, LO + Rock Polish is a bit underwhelming. despite his bulk, ttrum gets worn down really easy between recoil and the damage you take between head smash misses. choice band nuke does seem to be the way to go

I've been using D-Dance Tyrantrum for a while, and so far this set has been really working out for me:
Tyrantrum: Rock Head
Item: Wide Lens Nature: Adamant
Dragon Dance
Head Smash
Earthquake
Dragon Claw

Everything seems usual on this set except wide lens. Personally, i find that Head Smash's 80% accuracy can be more around 60% at the best of times, so giving it any sort of boost is amazing, as Head Smash now reaches 88% accuracy, around the same as your usual Draco Meteor. Getting those Head Smash hits is crucial, so i need something for T-Tum(is that is thing now? Mkay) to benefit from, so this was basically the best thing to use. I stick with Earthquake over Superpower for the purpose of keeping T-Tum's boosts in tact. Finally, Dragon Claw is a great, perfectly accurate reliable STAB that can kill some weaker things that resist Head Smash, especially fighting types like Mega Gallade.

I'm wondering whether to swap Dragon Claw for Outrage, tips?

I'm wondering whether to swap Dragon Claw for Outrage, tips?
This is a great question.

I've been using outrage and I gotta say, I'm incredibly reluctant to use it, even when its an obvious switch to say conk (not even a great idea) or garchomp, because even if I get one kill, then I'm locked and they're are a plethora of mons that can come in on you and end a potential sweep. you have to wear the enemy team down so much just to start to really hit them.

But I love calcs so lets see some:
252 Atk Tyrantrum Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 126-148 (36.9 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 186-220 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ouch. a 20% drop to damage really hurts, but how often do you use your dragon stab anyway? and does the damage drop really matter against what you want to hit? you may lose some 2HKOS but would you even be able to outrage anyway if they have a steel or fairy type still alive?

I'm going to test claw out, has anyone tried both (not at the same time obviously)? CB users (the next thing I need to try) what do you use?

That's actually a 50% power drop from Outrage to Dragon Claw, not 20%. But yeah, the extra power really does matter against a few things. For example, CB Dragon Claw doesn't get close to a 2HKO against Hippowdon or Chesnaught, whereas Outrage with Stealth Rock down has a great chance to 2HKO the former and is a guaranteed 2HKO against the latter. Being trapped into the move sucks, so it is kinda risky, but it generally works out decently enough. If your opponent brings a Fairy into the second Outrage, then you get to switch out the next turn and preserve your Tyrantrum, and you've successfully knocked off half or more of your opponent's important Rock resist's health (i.e. a Hippowdon that switched into Outrage and back out again will be 2HKOed the next time by Head Smash, assuming Stealth Rock is down). Now, if your opponent goes to a Steel, you'll be in a pickle since you might be trapped for a third turn and be forced to take a STAB Steel attack, but that's just part of the risk/reward that has always been associated with Outrage. Besides, some Steels actually take a hefty chunk of damage from a CB Outrage, so if they're worn down enough, you might be able to 2HKO. Basically, the way I see it, the difference between Outrage is Dragon Claw is having a risky way to get past those sturdy Rock resists and having no way at all (unless you find another way to wear them down significantly beforehand).

Keep in mind that I'm mainly just referring to the Choice Band set. On Rock Polish/Dragon Dance sets, I might not even run a Dragon STAB at all myself.

I've noticed plenty of suggestions to run Superpower on the Choice Band sets compared to Earthquake.

What targets does Superpower let you fare better against by comparison?

Ferrothorn mostly, and still as good against Heatran, Scizor and Bisharp, and it a safer alternative against Chansey.

252 Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 494-582 (76.9 - 90.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You know, Chople/Baibiri Berry could both work on a DD set as a lure.

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Tyrantrum: 189-223 (61.7 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Tyrantrum: 178-211 (58.1 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Tyrantrum: 85-102 (27.7 - 33.3%) -- 92.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chople Berry Tyrantrum: 186-219 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Tyrantrum: 139-165 (45.4 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Babiri Berry Tyrantrum: 184-217 (60.1 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 is enough to come out on top against all of these threats if they switch in on a boost. This can be deadly if paired with Celebi for example who can paralyze many threats and use Healing Wish for Tyrantrum to start its rampage all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)