CAP 20 CAP 20 - Part 1 - Concept Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weirdly, none of these move pairings stick out to me. I have a good generalized conception of how I think we should go about doing CAP 20. I'd like to have one set that tries to go ham on everything but gets beaten by tactical stuff like priority and stalling the Pokemon out, and another set that aims for more finesse at the expense of giving more time for the opposing team to execute its counterplay. When I look at the boosting moves, though, I feel like just about any combination that has been proposed so far could make this work with the right typing and ability. It might be easier to achieve the stark differentiation we want than we think. We're talking about moves because that's about all that can be talked about at length at this stage of the process, but I'm seeing this fallacy going around with some posts saying stuff like how we need a speed boosting move or else we're stuck with Vacuum Wave or something (not that I'm particularly against speed boosters). I'm sorry that I don't have much of a preference to offer to contribute directly to the discussion at hand, but I do find it important for some of us to be reminded of the big picture as we go into the typing and ability discussions in a short while.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
I'd like to chime in and support Dragon Dance + Nasty Plot. I prefer this option mainly because it would make a lot more sense to make this CAP more offensive-oriented. If we opted for an Offense + Defense combination - let's take NP/Coil as an example - our Pokémon's stats would be all over the place. In order to proficiently make use of both NP and Coil, a Pokémon logically needs viable Special Attack, Attack, Special Defense (to justify Coil's Defense boosts), Speed, and perhaps a decent HP stat to set up safely. This is tough to achieve without making the CAP either overpowered or an uncreative 100/100/100/100/100/100 Pokémon.

On the other hand, Dragon Dance + Nasty Plot will work well because the Pokémon's stats can focus on offense (Attack, Special Attack, Speed) and I feel that this would make the creation process go much more smoothly.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So, after some very good discussion in support of Defensive / Offensive boosting (EX Swords Dance + Bulk Up), it seems that both it and Dragon Dance + Nasty Plot have their share of followers, with neither option being arguably justifiable over the other. As a result, it would seem my claim that there would be no poll is now a lie, as we will, in fact, have to go to a poll, which will decide which move combo will be used as the basis of CAP 20.

You options will be:

Defensive / Offensive Boosting
Dragon Dance + Nasty Plot

Keep in mind that, no matter which option wins, we will be moving onto Concept Assessment 2, which will be dramatically shorter than this one was. If the first option wins, we will have to discuss the merits and downfalls of the various move combos that would come it, and I will make a decision at the end of a brief discussion period as to which move combo we will be moving ahead with. If the second option wins, we will simply discuss the combo for a brief period, giving us a good idea of how we should be handling the concept down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)