(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Go for it; why not.
Okay, so we have this new Pokémon puzzle game: Pokémon Shuffle.

If you like puzzles, and like Pokémon, then you'll love this game. It is fun to play, and has pretty good music, especially considering that it isn't a mainline game. It is great that you can download it for free, but too bad it isn't without it's annoying features.

Now, it isn't the fact that you start out with 5 hearts and once you run out, you have to wait 30 mins before you get another. That is probably similar to how it would be in real life: you go out, you catch some Pokémon, and you return to wherever you're staying so you and you're Pokemon can rest. Seems nice in practice.

But for the harder stages, this can be annoying. At the very least, it'd be nice if the hearts could roll over, so the longer a break that you take away from playing, the more that you can play when you get back to playing. The fact that you can only get up to 5 hearts at a time makes it too much of a habit to try to play every 2 and a half hours if I can, and annoying when I can't. This is annoying for the Pokémon that I have to weaken fast enough within a certain amount of time, which I have yet to master, and I don't get much opportunity to get to practice.
And this is also especially annoying for event Pokémon, where you only have a limited amount of time to catch them, before they disappear, instead of the events staying permanently downloaded, or at least until you catch them. So this means that I have to keep leveling up the Pokémon that I have, or catch more powerful ones, and hope that they'll be powerful enough to weaken the the event Pokémon fast enough so that I can catch them, before the events end.

Another annoyance is having to actually catch the evolved forms. Now, this would be understandable if you don't have the previous forms, but if you already have the previous stages, if you beat them evolved forms, the game should treat them like an evolution, just like how if you beat a Mega Form, you don't have to catch them, you're given the Mega Stone if you beat them, especially considering how hard the evolved forms are to catch.

Yeah the level-almost-useless-thing and the lack of "proper" evolutions make me mad.
I still love that game, I have catched all event Pokemon and I have to beat the last level. I'm currently training to have S on all stages (I'm around 130/150) and trying to catch the fucking Ex Pokemon.

In-game trades. OK, some of these trades (Bellsprout -> Onix, Slakoth -> Makuhita) helps you to get a Pokemon with Super Effective coverage against the Gym in the city, fair enough. However, apart from these instances, the trades are useless since the Pokemon the NPC offers is easy to catch in the game (Krabby -> Voltorb, Dragonair -> Dodrio, Nidoran -> Nidoran). Furthermore, there are times where the NPC gets really mean (Gaspar, enough said).

While there were times where the NPC trades us version exclusives or Pokemon not easily found in the game, these instances are few and far between (Poliwhirl -> Jynx, Clefairy -> Mr. Mime, Chansey -> Aerodactyl). Moreover, when the game decides to be nice and offer us a Trade Evolution, we either get the dreaded Gaspar scenario or Game Freak decides to change them for whatever reason (example, the Cinnabar Island Kadabra -> Graveler trade in the Japanese Version was replaced with the pointless Raichu -> Electrode trade).

Why couldn't they make the trades more useful instead of garbage like this?

In-game trades. OK, some of these trades (Bellsprout -> Onix, Slakoth -> Makuhita) helps you to get a Pokemon with Super Effective coverage against the Gym in the city, fair enough. However, apart from these instances, the trades are useless since the Pokemon the NPC offers is easy to catch in the game (Krabby -> Voltorb, Dragonair -> Dodrio, Nidoran -> Nidoran). Furthermore, there are times where the NPC gets really mean (Gaspar, enough said).

While there were times where the NPC trades us version exclusives or Pokemon not easily found in the game, these instances are few and far between (Poliwhirl -> Jynx, Clefairy -> Mr. Mime, Chansey -> Aerodactyl). Moreover, when the game decides to be nice and offer us a Trade Evolution, we either get the dreaded Gaspar scenario or Game Freak decides to change them for whatever reason (example, the Cinnabar Island Kadabra -> Graveler trade in the Japanese Version was replaced with the pointless Raichu -> Electrode trade).

Something I'd like to note is that in ORAS, the in-game trade for Corsola - I forget what you give - nets you the Corsola with it's Hidden Ability. I feel this would be a very good way to take advantage of in-game trades; giving rare versions of otherwise relatively common Pokémon -- BW2's little sidequest also handled this well; giving HAs as well as Pokémon that you couldn't otherwise get without transfer such as Snorlax, Shellos and Meowth.

Who's Gaspar?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In XY, you get a Steelix for the second gym ! Nice *4 resist ! :D
And it knows Gyro Ball meaning you have a Super Effective (x4 against Amaura as well; also Steelix is slower then Amaura and Tyrunt) move to use against Grant. :P

Anyway, on trading as a whole I agree in the past they had some dud options. In recent games they have improved somewhat though its mainly so you can get a Pokemon that would be useful against the Gym Leader. I would like to see more special trades like the Pokemon having its Hidden Ability, knowing special Moves, or even being offered a Pokemon you normally can't get (be it a version exclusive or a Pokemon not in the regional dex. The latter would probably be preferable as keeping version exclusives as such would at least encourage some bit of trading between versions and thus other people). A Pokemon that evolves via evolution probably also wouldn't be a bad idea for a trade, if anything just to show that feature off.

In addition I would also like them to do something they did in Gen V, let us battle the person we traded with and have them use the Pokemon we gave them. In BW you can trade a Cottonee or Petelil for the other in Nacrene City with a Lass named Dye and post game you can challenge her to a battle and she'll use the Pokemon you traded her (same name and keeps being Shiny if you were insane enough/hacked one in to do that) but evolved. In BW2 there's a Lass named Diana who will do two trades with you. The first one is an Ambipom for an Excadrill which she'll use in a battle against you and then she'll offer an Alakazam for a Hippowdon and use that against you along with two other Pokemon (yet oddly she doesn't use Excadrill). Once again they keep their names and Shinyness. It was a neat feature and think they should do it again.

Last edited:
There is an in-game trade in Generation IV for a Haunter named Gaspar. You start to get excited since this means you can get a Gengar without having to trade with another game. You get it and find out it is holding an Everstone. The tool.
Oh, I remember the infamous Everstone Haunter being mentioned...somewhere! It doesn't get much more trollish and overall bad than that!

I bet the developer who thought of that and programmed it in probably thought they were being funny... -_-

Oh, I remember the infamous Everstone Haunter being mentioned...somewhere! It doesn't get much more trollish and overall bad than that!

I bet the developer who thought of that and programmed it in probably thought they were being funny... -_-
To make it even more trollish, the NPC even laughed it off and makes fun of you when you talk to her later. I believe the dialogue was something like ,"Oh, did my Haunter evolve? No? That's because I gave it an Everstone, haha."

That's the point where many DS got broken and people wanted to punch the NPC through the screen.

To make it even more trollish, the NPC even laughed it off and makes fun of you when you talk to her later. I believe the dialogue was something like ,"Oh, did my Haunter evolve? No? That's because I gave it an Everstone, haha."

That's the point where many DS got broken and people wanted to punch the NPC through the screen.
Or shoved a gen 3 Pokemon game into the GBA slot of the original DS and went hunting for a wild one in the Old Chateau. Don't ask me why it had to be that one specific room in the place though... (it's not even the same room with the TV you find Rotom in. That would be too easy! /sarcasm)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Want to fix the difficulty? Here's an easy way. You know all the Bug Catchers that have level 20 Caterpie? Give them Butterfree. I think the later games were actually better about this, which is nice, because overleveled first-stagers are just PP drainers, easily KOed and for very little XP to boot, which wastes everyone's time.
*Remembers in Diamond battling late game Team Galactic Grunts who used unevolved Pokemon like Level 40 Wurmple*

Yeah, robbing a Bug-type of its gimmick (usually they evolve pretty quickly, though this results their evolutions being weaker then usual fully evolved Pokemon) makes it feel like they aren't even trying. Just have the NPCs evolve their Pokemon when that Pokemon reaches evolution level, it's not like you're implying the NPC is preventing it from evolving so it could get a certain move early.

Want to fix the difficulty? Here's an easy way. You know all the Bug Catchers that have level 20 Caterpie? Give them Butterfree. I think the later games were actually better about this, which is nice, because overleveled first-stagers are just PP drainers, easily KOed and for very little XP to boot, which wastes everyone's time.
You've no idea how much this annoys the hell out of me with the Breeders in OR/AS, especially the ones on Route 117... Both use full teams of 6, and what do all of their rematch teams consist of? The earliest possible stage for each line they're using. No, a level 50 Azurill isn't worth grinding anything against. Nor is a level 50 Budew, Aron, or Poochyena. In the original games, their rematch teams had them evolved as they leveled up, (Roselia didn't have Budew or Roserade back then) so why the hell don't they get this now? That's not even going into other teams with unevolved Pokemon at high levels...

I always got the feel that they did BW2 very well, I got hope that they would continue in that way, but...they seem to have gone a notch down..First the sounds(the ping at the start of Y seemed nowhere near as cool as Kyurem roaring at you in B2, I already felt underwhelmed..), the the NPCs, why can't they repeat the cool stuff they did in BW2?

In BW2, Ghetsis attempts to freeze the player character when they confront him by having Kyurem use Glaciate (facepalms). Glaciate doesn't even have a Freeze chance. He could have make it use Ice Beam but no, he needs to go for a weak signature move.

Then, N swoops in with his legendary and have his legendary use Fusion Flare / Fusion Bolt. While Fusion Flare is understandable (Fire melts Ice), exactly how Electric melts Ice left players scratching their heads.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In BW2, Ghetsis attempts to freeze the player character when they confront him by having Kyurem use Glaciate (facepalms). Glaciate doesn't even have a Freeze chance. He could have make it use Ice Beam but no, he needs to go for a weak signature move.

Then, N swoops in with his legendary and have his legendary use Fusion Flare / Fusion Bolt. While Fusion Flare is understandable (Fire melts Ice), exactly how Electric melts Ice left players scratching their heads.
1. I can maybe think of a few explanations:
A. Story and gameplay segregation. Glaciate's Japanese name is "Frozen World" and it's description says it blows freezing air at the opponent. So if you go by that, yeah, Glaciate would freeze things. If you want to go further, maybe the freezing effect isn't strong enough to freeze a Pokemon, just slow them down; however if used on a human...
B. As we saw in the animation, Kyurem created giant icicle spears it was going to slam into us. If Ghetsis didn't plan on killing us (making what he said metaphorical, maybe), maybe Kyurem was just going to encase us inbetween the icicle spears creating a cage. We're not frozen in the literal case, but we are surrounded by ice and probably unable to move.
C. At this point Ghetsis is semi-insane and probably fuming at us for somewhat spoiling his plans. He could have been talking metaphorically or just utter nonsense and then ordered Kyurem to use its signature attack, not really caring what happened.

And with all that said above, he was probably also planning on N saving us. He knew N wouldn't let Kyurem harm anyway no part of Neo Team Plasma so when the player showed up Ghetsis decided to use us as bait to draw out N and his dragon.

2. As for how Zekrom stopped Glaciate, being it used a physical attack it probably just smashed the icicle spears to pieces. Also electricity is a form of energy and the transference of energy causes heat amongst other things. While it probably wasn't strong enough to melt the ice, Zekrom's electricity probably weakened the ice's structure enough for its brute force to shatter it.

You've no idea how much this annoys the hell out of me with the Breeders in OR/AS, especially the ones on Route 117... Both use full teams of 6, and what do all of their rematch teams consist of? The earliest possible stage for each line they're using. No, a level 50 Azurill isn't worth grinding anything against. Nor is a level 50 Budew, Aron, or Poochyena. In the original games, their rematch teams had them evolved as they leveled up, (Roselia didn't have Budew or Roserade back then) so why the hell don't they get this now? That's not even going into other teams with unevolved Pokemon at high levels...
This^

That has got the be one of the most annoying things ever. I just don't have time for pushovers, and that is why I never battle anyone in my Trainer's Eye! Because they are all pushovers!!!

That's a business strategy: Motherfucking annoying as fuck NPC made you destroy your DS? Get another one!

That's a business strategy: Motherfucking annoying as fuck NPC made you destroy your DS? Get another one!
I would sooner think that to make this a viable business strategy GF would have to enter a partnership with an Anger Management clinic.

I'm a tad annoyed that there's about 11 Hidden Ability Pokémon you can't get in Gen 6 without transfer or possible future events. OCD for bank balls is killing me :[

I feel like this has been said, but I hate how Inverse Battles are still not an option in Wi-Fi Battles. They are such a cool variant and I would love to challenge friends to it without having to use Showdown (though I would have to build a whole new team).
In a related complaint, I hate how there isn't a good random battle feature in the PSS. While the Battle Spot is good for practicing VGC, it isn't good for people who like 6v6 Singles (i.e., most of us). And it is difficult to get battles just by challenging random passerby. And even if you do, they are often using things like Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza. Hell, even just having an open statement of wanting a battle on a website doesn't always work. I just want a nice random battle feature where you can choose the rules (such as what clauses are to be used, level ranges so I don't have to always use Flat Battle) and you get paired up with someone with compatible rules. This would make me so very happy, even if I have to deal with the basic facility banlist (can't go using the brokenness that is Phione!).

And before anyone asks, while I like Showdown for testing out teams or to try something weird, I don't like using it. I just prefer my 3DS to my computer.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I feel like this has been said, but I hate how Inverse Battles are still not an option in Wi-Fi Battles. They are such a cool variant and I would love to challenge friends to it without having to use Showdown (though I would have to build a whole new team).
In a related complaint, I hate how there isn't a good random battle feature in the PSS. While the Battle Spot is good for practicing VGC, it isn't good for people who like 6v6 Singles (i.e., most of us). And it is difficult to get battles just by challenging random passerby. And even if you do, they are often using things like Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza. Hell, even just having an open statement of wanting a battle on a website doesn't always work. I just want a nice random battle feature where you can choose the rules (such as what clauses are to be used, level ranges so I don't have to always use Flat Battle) and you get paired up with someone with compatible rules. This would make me so very happy, even if I have to deal with the basic facility banlist (can't go using the brokenness that is Phione!).

And before anyone asks, while I like Showdown for testing out teams or to try something weird, I don't like using it. I just prefer my 3DS to my computer.
I'm also going to guess Sky Battles aren't an option either. Yes, Sky Battles just add limits to what you can't use, but if you're going to put it in the game then at least allow it for a battling option. Sure in-game the Sky Battles fell flat, maybe maybe pvp could find some creative use for it.

But yeah, I would make Inverse Battles a priority over Sky Battles since its the better new battling style.

I'm also going to guess Sky Battles aren't an option either. Yes, Sky Battles just add limits to what you can't use, but if you're going to put it in the game then at least allow it for a battling option. Sure in-game the Sky Battles fell flat, maybe maybe pvp could find some creative use for it.

But yeah, I would make Inverse Battles a priority over Sky Battles since its the better new battling style.
Especially since you can simulate Sky Battles by obeying a ban list.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Especially since you can simulate Sky Battles by obeying a ban list.
That would be a lot of Pokemon (and a good amount of moves) on that ban list... actually with the ban list you can probably make some improvements to the original Sky Battles (I don't think the battles are happening that high in the sky that Pokemon which can fly/float without being part Flying-type or have Levitate can't also participate. And add in Flying-type/Pokemon with Levitate that were banned just because their default model wasn't flying).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)