(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The fact that I was forced to go to Mauville after I beat Norman, Just let me get my Amulet Coin & let me try out Surf on Route 103, I dont wanna backtrack to that spot then go to Mauville. I also want to explore Route 105, 107 & 108 without having to go all the way back. Screw you Wally, I dont need you to take me to where I know to go, I've played this game like 10 years ago.

Why do I get access to all these new Pokemon & legends when I get the Eon Flute? To me it bugged me, because I already had a team of 6 & I didnt wanna put one of my mons in the PC. Its also like they're throwing out half of the post-game (discounting Delta Episode) by doing this.

Why are Primal Kyogre/Groudon & Mega Rayquaza even allowed in Battle Spot, or any Uber Legendary for that matter. I know its easy to beat them as 9 year old tryhards use them, but couldnt they ban those legendaries? Speaking of online interactions, make it so that you can't ask for Legends on the GTS so its actually usable & not a place to see people offer a basic Pokemon for something like a Legendary & say "6IV Shiny pleeeeaase!!!".

That's it, I know the third one is what a lot of people nitpick about, but cmon, we all get annoyed by those people, at least have a toggle to stop seeing people who want an event legendary.

The fact that I was forced to go to Mauville after I beat Norman, Just let me get my Amulet Coin & let me try out Surf on Route 103, I dont wanna backtrack to that spot then go to Mauville. I also want to explore Route 105, 107 & 108 without having to go all the way back. Screw you Wally, I dont need you to take me to where I know to go, I've played this game like 10 years ago.

Why do I get access to all these new Pokemon & legends when I get the Eon Flute? To me it bugged me, because I already had a team of 6 & I didnt wanna put one of my mons in the PC. Its also like they're throwing out half of the post-game (discounting Delta Episode) by doing this.

Why are Primal Kyogre/Groudon & Mega Rayquaza even allowed in Battle Spot, or any Uber Legendary for that matter. I know its easy to beat them as 9 year old tryhards use them, but couldnt they ban those legendaries? Speaking of online interactions, make it so that you can't ask for Legends on the GTS so its actually usable & not a place to see people offer a basic Pokemon for something like a Legendary & say "6IV Shiny pleeeeaase!!!".

That's it, I know the third one is what a lot of people nitpick about, but cmon, we all get annoyed by those people, at least have a toggle to stop seeing people who want an event legendary.
There IS an option to not see requests for Event Pokemon... but it's annoying having to press it all the time

I feel like this has been said, but I hate how Inverse Battles are still not an option in Wi-Fi Battles. They are such a cool variant and I would love to challenge friends to it without having to use Showdown (though I would have to build a whole new team).
In a related complaint, I hate how there isn't a good random battle feature in the PSS. While the Battle Spot is good for practicing VGC, it isn't good for people who like 6v6 Singles (i.e., most of us). And it is difficult to get battles just by challenging random passerby. And even if you do, they are often using things like Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza. Hell, even just having an open statement of wanting a battle on a website doesn't always work. I just want a nice random battle feature where you can choose the rules (such as what clauses are to be used, level ranges so I don't have to always use Flat Battle) and you get paired up with someone with compatible rules. This would make me so very happy, even if I have to deal with the basic facility banlist (can't go using the brokenness that is Phione!).

And before anyone asks, while I like Showdown for testing out teams or to try something weird, I don't like using it. I just prefer my 3DS to my computer.
^^^This!

And especially 6v6! Oh, how I hate being forced to go into battle without a full team! I mean come on, that is the original battle style, since the first generation, and Game Freak just goes and acts like it is forsaken!
I HATE how you can loose a battle just by choosing the wrong Pokémon, and how you might've had a chance if you could bring all 6!!!

3v3/4v4 is boring. A 6v6 is always amazing to watch, and a true test of a trainer's skill.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^^^This!

And especially 6v6! Oh, how I hate being forced to go into battle without a full team! I mean come on, that is the original battle style, since the first generation, and Game Freak just goes and acts like it is forsaken!
I HATE how you can loose a battle just by choosing the wrong Pokémon, and how you might've had a chance if you could bring all 6!!!

3v3/4v4 is boring. A 6v6 is always amazing to watch, and a true test of a trainer's skill.
I think Game Freak does this to make battles go quicker, but that's stupid. I dont know if Game Freak knows about sweeping because in a 3v3, its almost impossible to sweep because, I dont think killing 2 Pokemon in a row is considered a sweep, that would be 3+ for me. & In 3v3s, Sweeps always feel short-lived for obvious reasons.

If your team really hates facing a certain Pokemon, you'd have to sacrifice 1, 2 or even all of the slots just to kill that single Pokemon which is stupid. This is why I feel that 3v3s are unfair, just because of that.

I know I was talking about Singles here but I think Doubles should be 6v6 as well, just modify my second reason & there you go. (I dont think sweeping is that prominent in Doubles from what I've seen)

I think Game Freak does this to make battles go quicker, but that's stupid. I dont know if Game Freak knows about sweeping because in a 3v3, its almost impossible to sweep because, I dont think killing 2 Pokemon in a row is considered a sweep, that would be 3+ for me. & In 3v3s, Sweeps always feel short-lived for obvious reasons.

If your team really hates facing a certain Pokemon, you'd have to sacrifice 1, 2 or even all of the slots just to kill that single Pokemon which is stupid. This is why I feel that 3v3s are unfair, just because of that.

I know I was talking about Singles here but I think Doubles should be 6v6 as well, just modify my second reason & there you go. (I dont think sweeping is that prominent in Doubles from what I've seen)
I do hate how Game Freak feels the need to "make battles go quicker" in unranked matches with this (I understand official tournaments, since I've played in way too many Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments and I perfectly understand). Especially since most matches I've been in last about 10-30 minutes, and that's with me using nothing but bulky Pokémon! Only once did I have one that almost timed out (i.e. about 57 minutes long if I remember) and that required a lot of well timed switches using Vaporeon, Chansey, and Gliscor.
I don't mind 3v3/4v4 in Battle Facilities. That makes sense since it is supposed to be a challenge.

I've found another very annoying thing: breeding for Hidden Powers is extremely annoying! If I could know what Hidden Powers my Dittos have, then I could try passing those on, but it is just too fucking difficult to find out what they would pass on!

If I could just find out what the precise IVs are, but they make that nearly impossible without leveling up to a certain level!

And I need HP Fire for my Contrary Serperior, so I'm stuck, trying to figure out how to get it done! Do I just go looking for compatible Pokémon, and soft-reset if they don't have the right HP, and what am I going to do when I'm trying to get the IVs to be as high as possible, while also trying to keep the right Hidden Power? I would like the IVs to be 31/any odd/30/30/31/30, since that'd give me the highest IVs possible for a Contrary Snivy while also giving me HP Fire, but I can't figure out for the life of me how I could do that, other than trying to use a cheat program to make the perfect breeding partner (which is not ideal, due to actually wanting to do this legit, not to mention how complicated all these programs seem, and I probably couldn't use them anyways).
This is the exact same problem I encountered when trying to breed a Budew: I just couldn't figure out how to get the right HP, while also keeping high IVs! Or is it just impossible, and I should just accept that I won't be able to get the IV spread that I want and the right Hidden Power at the same time?

I just wish the HP lady would tell me what my Dittos HP would be if they could learn it, and I don't like the idea of breeding for the perfect HP partner, because I just don't know how to do that either!

I've found another very annoying thing: breeding for Hidden Powers is extremely annoying! If I could know what Hidden Powers my Dittos have, then I could try passing those on, but it is just too fucking difficult to find out what they would pass on!

If I could just find out what the precise IVs are, but they make that nearly impossible without leveling up to a certain level!

And I need HP Fire for my Contrary Serperior, so I'm stuck, trying to figure out how to get it done! Do I just go looking for compatible Pokémon, and soft-reset if they don't have the right HP, and what am I going to do when I'm trying to get the IVs to be as high as possible, while also trying to keep the right Hidden Power? I would like the IVs to be 31/any odd/30/30/31/30, since that'd give me the highest IVs possible for a Contrary Snivy while also giving me HP Fire, but I can't figure out for the life of me how I could do that, other than trying to use a cheat program to make the perfect breeding partner (which is not ideal, due to actually wanting to do this legit, not to mention how complicated all these programs seem, and I probably couldn't use them anyways).
This is the exact same problem I encountered when trying to breed a Budew: I just couldn't figure out how to get the right HP, while also keeping high IVs! Or is it just impossible, and I should just accept that I won't be able to get the IV spread that I want and the right Hidden Power at the same time?

I just wish the HP lady would tell me what my Dittos HP would be if they could learn it, and I don't like the idea of breeding for the perfect HP partner, because I just don't know how to do that either!
I just wish we could choose the HP type. That'll fix all of these issues

^^^This!

I think it has to do somewhat with the fact that websites like this and Showdown exist. GameFreak would never be able to make a set of rules for 6v6 that the whole world would agree upon. And if it goes with just basic rules, then there might more backlash about breaking "the rules", whatever those might be. Not one Competitive 6v6 site has a majority of fans around the world. And no one was creating rules for 3v3 battles, so GameFreak probably felt that was the safer way to go.

I do also agree that time probably had a hand in deciding to go with 3v3.

I think it has to do somewhat with the fact that websites like this and Showdown exist. GameFreak would never be able to make a set of rules for 6v6 that the whole world would agree upon. And if it goes with just basic rules, then there might more backlash about breaking "the rules", whatever those might be. Not one Competitive 6v6 site has a majority of fans around the world. And no one was creating rules for 3v3 battles, so GameFreak probably felt that was the safer way to go.

I do also agree that time probably had a hand in deciding to go with 3v3.
Oh come on. They are this game's Gods. They can do whatever the hell they feel like and we won't be able to counter it. Did you see any uprisings because there were no Mega Flygon and Mega Milotic? Exactly

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Custom Battles:
I don't think it would be too hard to let us create custom battles. Let us decide how many Pokemon each trainer can use, what type of battle it'll be (Single, Double, Triple, Rotation, and Inverse I think would be a good start), banned Pokemon (if they want they can make "easy" groupings of Legendaries), banned Moves, banned Abilities, banned Items... I think that's it. They could maybe also add in things like Sleep Clause and Evasion Clause, but at that point they're reaching deep into the metagame and at that point their favoring one community of players over another. But if they give us the basic 6 I mentioned I think it would work out fine. Heck, maybe if they have a Battle Frontier they could allow people to use that facilities battling mechanic (if it has one) as a type of battle (or maybe they could allow for a multi-player mode in Battle Facilities, like can you imagine a Battle Pyramid with a whole batch of players running around competing with one another?).

Hidden Power Redo:
I think Hidden Power's gimmick is one who's time have gone and passed. It was never all that powerful, only Pokemon who were Special attackers could really use it, and if you're just playing through the game you could get any type and the type might be useless to have on that Pokemon. And in the meta game players have learned to manipulate it to be the type they want (sometimes with some frustration, but either you stick wit it or just plan around it). It was a fun toy to show off that each Pokemon was "special" from one another, but nowadays it would be much more useful if they let us choose its Type (and maybe even let us choose what Category it is, "Hidden Power" sounds vague enough that I can see it as a physical move where the user just glows and tackles its opponent).

Custom Battles:
I don't think it would be too hard to let us create custom battles. Let us decide how many Pokemon each trainer can use, what type of battle it'll be (Single, Double, Triple, Rotation, and Inverse I think would be a good start), banned Pokemon (if they want they can make "easy" groupings of Legendaries), banned Moves, banned Abilities, banned Items... I think that's it. They could maybe also add in things like Sleep Clause and Evasion Clause, but at that point they're reaching deep into the metagame and at that point their favoring one community of players over another. But if they give us the basic 6 I mentioned I think it would work out fine. Heck, maybe if they have a Battle Frontier they could allow people to use that facilities battling mechanic (if it has one) as a type of battle (or maybe they could allow for a multi-player mode in Battle Facilities, like can you imagine a Battle Pyramid with a whole batch of players running around competing with one another?).
I actually have a basic shell of what they could have based on the common clauses they use (allowing "Special Pokémon", Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause) and just let us choose which ones we are willing to go with and let us go against those who agree.

Oh come on. They are this game's Gods. They can do whatever the hell they feel like and we won't be able to counter it. Did you see any uprisings because there were no Mega Flygon and Mega Milotic? Exactly
I saw as close to an uprising over it as one could get on this site. And if a company gets that kind of attitude, sales tend to go down or series are put on a death knell (looking at you, Ubisoft).

I saw as close to an uprising over it as one could get on this site. And if a company gets that kind of attitude, sales tend to go down or series are put on a death knell (looking at you, Ubisoft).
...Uprising that I missed. Good thing tho, WWIII would've broken out right that moment

Alright, Ubisoft proved me wrong. But they should add 6 vs. 6 battles regardless

Hidden Power Redo:
I think Hidden Power's gimmick is one who's time have gone and passed. It was never all that powerful, only Pokemon who were Special attackers could really use it, and if you're just playing through the game you could get any type and the type might be useless to have on that Pokemon. And in the meta game players have learned to manipulate it to be the type they want (sometimes with some frustration, but either you stick wit it or just plan around it). It was a fun toy to show off that each Pokemon was "special" from one another, but nowadays it would be much more useful if they let us choose its Type (and maybe even let us choose what Category it is, "Hidden Power" sounds vague enough that I can see it as a physical move where the user just glows and tackles its opponent).
If anything, they could at least show the type and category on the move selection screen to ease breeding.

A 6v6 metagame with the rules used for 3v3 would actually be really interesting IMO. I don't think Game Freak's metagame shouldn't be similar to well, smogon. A metagame centralized around mega kangashan, mega salamance and greninja would not be terrible and definitely a fun alternative to smogon OU and smogon UBER. Most of Game Freak's formats aren't very balanced anyways.

A 6v6 metagame with the rules used for 3v3 would actually be really interesting IMO. I don't think Game Freak's metagame shouldn't be similar to well, smogon. A metagame centralized around mega kangashan, mega salamance and greninja would not be terrible and definitely a fun alternative to smogon OU and smogon UBER. Most of Game Freak's formats aren't very balanced anyways.
That sounds chaotic as fuck... Me want that right now!

On the lines of Hidden Power; I'm kind of annoyed that it and Return/Frustration don't have Physical/Special counterparts. Especially Return; I'd love to see something which can take advantage of a special attacker's bond rather than making it exclusive to physical attackers.
I mean fuck, it might break Mega Gardevoir but I don't care.

WoW not being blocked by primal-Kyogre's ability when all other fire moves are.

this is will hopefully be corrected next gen by being blocked or they change WoW typing (probably to ghost) to stop people from asking why this move isn't being blocked by it.

Not Thunder Wave for Grounds. It's really inconsistent across the board, to be honest.
In a game here HSOWA exists, you can't ask for consistency and logic

Next rant: The fact that horde Pokemon don't always have their HA. I had to fight with the RNG gods for way to long just to get a stupid HA Miltank and Tauros. It would've been so much easier if all horde Pokemon had their stupid HA

Not Thunder Wave for Grounds. It's really inconsistent across the board, to be honest.
Eh, Thunder Wave's always been described as a weak jolt of electricity, which is why it does nothing to Ground types. (unless you're using Normalize, but who'd want to use Skitty/Delcatty?) I can sort of see WoW as ghostly flames that inflict a burn, thus not doused by Primordial Sea's harsh rain. Granted, it's not like Primal Kyogre's all that bothered by a burn, but if it really is an oversight on Game Freak's part they'll probably correct it in the final Gen 6 game(s) this fall.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
WoW not being blocked by primal-Kyogre's ability when all other fire moves are.

this is will hopefully be corrected next gen by being blocked or they change WoW typing (probably to ghost) to stop people from asking why this move isn't being blocked by it.
Honestly I'd just change WoW to being a Ghost-type. The only reason it's Fire-type is because it causes Burn and its technically a "flame", but it's always been presented as a ghostly flame and now that we have moves like Scald I don't think moves need to be strictly define by their effect.

However if you're going to bring up why Primordial Sea doesn't stop WoW, then I want to ask how come Desolate Land doesn't stop Aqua Ring, Soak, or Water Sport? Those moves involve water which should be instantly evaporated by Desolate Land.

But as for if they're going to do anything? Probably not. Its such a minor detail and honestly if they paid that much attention to details then I'd imagine a lot of Abilities would also be given additional effects.

Next rant: The fact that horde Pokemon don't always have their HA. I had to fight with the RNG gods for way to long just to get a stupid HA Miltank and Tauros. It would've been so much easier if all horde Pokemon had their stupid HA
Hidden Abilities are supposed to be rare.
Yeah, I agree with Agonist that its suppose to be a bit of a challenge to find a Pokemon with its Hidden Ability. Instead of complaining about making Hidden Abilities difficult to get I would complain about how hard it is to get Horde Battles. For something they made a bit of a deal about it's kind of rare for you to get into a Horde Encounter, I wouldn't be surprised if someone went through their game without getting into one Horde Battle (except for those two Grunt Horde Battles in ORAS, which is a let down in itself).

Yeah, I agree with Agonist that its suppose to be a bit of a challenge to find a Pokemon with its Hidden Ability. Instead of complaining about making Hidden Abilities difficult to get I would complain about how hard it is to get Horde Battles. For something they made a bit of a deal about it's kind of rare for you to get into a Horde Encounter, I wouldn't be surprised if someone went through their game without getting into one Horde Battle (except for those two Grunt Horde Battles in ORAS, which is a let down in itself).
Unless it's raining - and even then that only applies to XY not ORAS - Horde battles can instantly be started with Sweet Scent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 12)